Beckett Just Retire

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Beckett Just Retire

My solution.  Its blatantly obvious that Beckett doesn't really care about playing any more.  Just retire.  Everyone is happy.  Josh rides off into his own world never to be seen again.  The Sox get out from under his rediculous contract and find some players that actually want to play.  And last but not least the fans don't have to look at his sorry @ss not caring face and get to watch players who really want to excell and compete for the town team.  Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Beckett Just Retire

In Response to Beckett Just Retire:
    My solution.  Its blatantly obvious that Beckett doesn't really care about playing any more.  Just retire.  Everyone is happy.  Josh rides off into his own world never to be seen again.  The Sox get out from under his rediculous contract and find some players that actually want to play.  And last but not least the fans don't have to look at his sorry @ss not caring face and get to watch players who really want to excell and compete for the town team.  Thoughts?
    Posted by Mchampion

I can't see Josh Beckett walking away from the $44 million left on his contract ... in as much as I don't respect Beckett, I can't blame him for declining to walk away.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I can't see it either Hill but at some point enough is enough.  Either get with the program and give it your all or get out.   I don't think you can do it half @ss its not fair to anyone including himself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He may let his last year 17 million slide but no way he walks away from 40-45 million now. 

He looks like to me that he is just punching in to get his paychecks.  When he takes the mound it seems like - OK let's see what happens.  If I get shelled, then so what?  I get to leave the game early.  Fine by me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I agree Andrew.  Its a waste of talent and time.  If he wants the money so bad at least earn it.  Play hard and put the effort in to be the best you can be.  Otherwise I don't really care how bad the fans treat him because it is warranted.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by Mchampion

Guys, the fact is only a few of us are brave enough to see and discuss the real issues with our staff but I agree.  In my opinion Josh is supposed to be one of our leaders but hes not.  Buchholz, with all excuses aside should have begun to find a groove by now after the injury.   Dice is a stretch and Lackey is a guy who the further away from Boston, the better we are.  Bard and Doub I don't fault at all because they are newbies to the rotation who still deserve a few more starts.

Lester, in my opinion will never be an ace but its hard for me not to like him for stepping up to face the real issues.  I think with the right guys around Jon, he can be a huge part of our rotation and have success. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Beckett Just Retire:
    In Response to Beckett Just Retire : Guys, the fact is only a few of us are brave enough to see and discuss the real issues with our staff but I agree.  In my opinion Josh is supposed to be one of our leaders but hes not.  Buchholz, with all excuses aside should have begun to find a groove by now after the injury.   Dice is a stretch and Lackey is a guy who the further away from Boston, the better we are.  Bard and Doub I don't fault at all because they are newbies to the rotation who still deserve a few more starts. Lester, in my opinion will never be an ace but its hard for me not to like him for stepping up to face the real issues.  I think with the right guys around Jon, he can be a huge part of our rotation and have success
    Posted by craze4sox

The other side of the coin is Lester is too impressionable.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

He doesn't care is a dumb statement.
    Last night he had 2 strikes on 8 batters. Every time he left the ball out over the plate. Each time the ball thrown did not do as the previous pitches. It just did not work.

If you think a guy goes out there and always throws more strikes than balls. Has guys down with 2 K's and then does not care if the guy gets a hit or not you and is embarrased at the results  YOU are an idiot.
    Yeah he does not care just because he says his wife and kid are his priorities.Go tell your wife, husband, significant other or your kids that your job is more important than they are. Unless you are an idiot I don't see any person with a shread of decency saying that out loud.

He cares and IMHO any one who thinks other wise has no idea how the professional athlete works.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

He doesn't care is a dumb statement. Last night he had 2 strikes on 8 batters. Every time he left the ball out over the plate. Each time the ball thrown did not do as the previous pitches. It just did not work. If you think a guy goes out there and always throws more strikes than balls. Has guys down with 2 K's and then does not care if the guy gets a hit or not you and is embarrased at the results  YOU are an idiot. Yeah he does not care just because he says his wife and kid are his priorities.Go tell your wife, husband, significant other or your kids that your job is more important than they are. Unless you are an idiot I don't see any person with a shread of decency saying that out loud. He cares and IMHO any one who thinks other wise has no idea how the professional athlete works.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida
    Agree.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The sad truth is that he no longer has an out pitch.  Everyone saw that coming but Esptein......

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to "Re: Beckett Just Retire":
    In Response to Re: Beckett Just Retire : The other side of the coin is Lester is too impressionable..... Posted by andrewmitch
    After watching this garbage the last six weeks Lackey is looking pretty good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Beckett looked lost last night. 

Cherington should add incentives into Beckett's contract--whenever Beckett throws a shutout game, he gets a free round of golf at a golf course of his choice. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Beckett Just Retire : Guys, the fact is only a few of us are brave enough to see and discuss the real issues with our staff but I agree.  In my opinion Josh is supposed to be one of our leaders but hes not.  Buchholz, with all excuses aside should have begun to find a groove by now after the injury.   Dice is a stretch and Lackey is a guy who the further away from Boston, the better we are.  Bard and Doub I don't fault at all because they are newbies to the rotation who still deserve a few more starts. Lester, in my opinion will never be an ace but its hard for me not to like him for stepping up to face the real issues.  I think with the right guys around Jon, he can be a huge part of our rotation and have success. 
    Posted by craze4sox

He has, but few want to notice.

In his last 4 starts he has gone:

5IP / 1ER before imploding vs. minnesota

6ip with 1ER before imploding vs. Oakland

6IP with 1ER before imploding vs.  Cleveland.  (I missed this implosion for family reasons, but saw it was not all CB.)

And anpther game where he got shellacked by the Orioles that does not fit this profile.

For a dude coming off a back injury, durability is absolutely a legitimate concern.  And Buchholz appears to have that issue lately.  Especially if his 7th inning tonight involved him being up in the zone alot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In Response to Re: Beckett Just Retire : i agree his wife and kids are his 1st priority. his 2nd priority is the money. his 3rd priority is fried chicken his 4th priority is beer. his 5th priority is golf. his 6th priority is pitching for the SOX.
    Posted by mryazz

LMAO mryazz.  but you might be right

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In Response to Beckett Just Retire : Guys, the fact is only a few of us are brave enough to see and discuss the real issues with our staff but I agree.  In my opinion Josh is supposed to be one of our leaders but hes not.  Buchholz, with all excuses aside should have begun to find a groove by now after the injury.   Dice is a stretch and Lackey is a guy who the further away from Boston, the better we are.  Bard and Doub I don't fault at all because they are newbies to the rotation who still deserve a few more starts. Lester, in my opinion will never be an ace but its hard for me not to like him for stepping up to face the real issues.  I think with the right guys around Jon, he can be a huge part of our rotation and have success. 
    Posted by craze4sox

I agree craze.  The Sox need a leader or leaders on the starting staff that Beckett doesn't provide.  Lester could be that guy but with Beckett around I am not sure that will ever happen as his attitude has seeped into the other starter in a negative way.  It was nice to see Clay pitch relatively well last night.  Something to build on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

Posted by Mchampion

Don't tell him what to do on his off day.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Beckett is the latest "WE HATE YOU NOW!!!!...NA NA NA NA NAAA !!!!" guy on the Sox amoung some fans.
    Posted by bellhorn_

Very true Bellhorn.  I don't think anyone wants to hate the guy but its sad to watch what is going on with him and the team.  Hopefully the team gets going in the right direction and all the negativity passes.  I believe most fans just want to see well played baseball games. Your going to win some and lose some but the games we have been watching have been abysmal.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

Beckett is not going to walk away from 44 million, neither would anyone.  That he can and has gotten to two strikes often, pitched very well until he all of a sudden loses it, tells me his problem is mental (90 percent of this game is mental, and the other half is physical, to quote a guy with 13 WS rings), not physical.

He needs to get his head straight, and, IMO, it is not a matter of caring, it is a matter of focus, concentration, and keeping your spirits up.

CC gave up two unearned runs in his last outing against Price.  He shook them off, and pitched a great game for 8 innings, giving up no earned runs.  Lots of other pitchers would have been shaken by that, but he wasn't.  You would expect Beckett to be able to handle the mental part of the game, but it looks like he can't, at least right now.  The Yanks got rid of Burnett because of where his head was at.

The Sox need Beckett's physical abilities, and they have to find a way to get his head right.  Bashing him in the press all the time is probably not the best way to do that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Good post Kam.  You are right about pitching being metal and the CC example is right on.  Hopefully that kind of pitching attitude will catch on for all the starters and we can watch some well pitched and played games.  Can we get Garnett to pitch a few innings that might be intimidating to opposing batters....

Sections
Shortcuts