Beckett rumours?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Beckett rumours?

The appearance ain't so great, but the reality is fine with me.  The skipped start was precautionery.  Golf was unlikely to hurt the lat and might actually have helped.  It was an off day. 

Mariano Rivera shagged flies in the outfield for many years as an enjoyable way to maintain his conditioning.  That's fine too, except that he loved to make leaping catches up against the wall, etc.  Remember last year when some of us thought AGon had no business in RF because of the injury risk?  Mo, a great and truly admirable pitcher, was doing that several times weekly.  And if finally caught up with him.  I do not blame him one bit, but point out that nothing is risk free. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Great  

In Response to Re: Beckett rumours?:
    [QUOTE]valentine has to be careful with this beckett story,,,,he should run his options by pedroia first too see if it's how they do things around here...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lardin. Show lardin's posts

[QUOTE]does playing golf strain your lat? i dont know....common sense would dictate the injured player to not do anything physical.....did he play a full 18? did he just walk around???? doesnt look good either way but you reap what you sow Boston...you knew what this guy was and you decided he was worth all the nonsense.....wrong answer....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

If you have a bad back then Golf is absolutely the wrong activity to be doing.  It will only make things worse.  I have no problem with Becket or any player playing golf on their off day, but if you have a bad back and you go play and then end up missing start, dont get pissed when the allegations and questions start flying.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]I'm kind of disappointed.....I thought this thread was about Beckett trade rumors......
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Fooled me too, big let down.Does anyone really care what this guy does or says, giving him a premature extension was a bad decision. He is a clear example of a guy who needs yr to yr contracts. Beckett always seemed to me like a guy who plays baseball because he's good at but doesn't really enjoy it. I could be way off the mark on that but thats what it looks like to me. My perception of him may be a little slanted as I've had some friends who've met him. In every instance that chance encounter was completely negative.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett rumours? : Fooled me too, big let down.Does anyone really care what this guy does or says, giving him a premature extension was a bad decision. He is a clear example of a guy who needs yr to yr contracts. Beckett always seemed to me like a guy who plays baseball because he's good at but doesn't really enjoy it. I could be way off the mark on that but thats what it looks like to me. My perception of him may be a little slanted as I've had some friends who've met him. In every instance that chance encounter was completely negative.
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

Do tell!  We won't say a word!!!   shhhhhhh

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I had brought it (the question of his value/character) up last July when he missed what I believe was two starts beucase of the tummy flue... and I noted even then he wasn't really going more than 6 innings at best, which only helped keep his era low.

He was my favorite pitcher up until last September .... was.

Wins are actually not an overrated stat, if a pitcher only has 11 wins but a solid era you have to ask why. Maybe the offense scored few runs or maybe the starter never pitched 7+ and nailed down a real "w".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Beckett was, is, and always will be a bum. Ship him out!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Andrewmitch your tireless Theo rants are old and often misguided. You and Burrito T (still blaming Tito) should go golfing. What cracks me up is that yes this team is awful and yes there are a lot of decisions Theo was a part of that were bad. I refuse to list them because that is your job. What I don't understand is up to last Sept. this was the best decade of baseball Red Sox fans have ever had.  Smart baseball minds almost all agree that while Tito and Theo had their share of faults they have good baseball accumen and were good for the Sox. You sound like a complete idiot when you blast these guys. "Theo called beckett a leader" who cares what he called him... it's a press conference. Mr. Hindsight move on with your life.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I'm kind of disappointed.....I thought this thread was about Beckett trade rumors......
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

+1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Beer, fried chicken and now golf. 

Oh well.  lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

how many more years do we have to suffer through this?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]how many more years do we have to suffer through this?
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

IDK...maybe 86.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

1.  Bobby V handled the weei question perfectly

2.  CAN WE PLEASE GET RID OF BECKETT????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett rumours? : You were a big fan for a long time.  Welcome to the club!!!!! I am sure there are still plenty of folks who still believe in Beckett; then again I am sure there are plenty of people who still believe in David Jonathan (aka JD?) Drew too!!!!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

That would be me. On both counts. It's really too bad JD didn't/couldn't come back to Fenway on the 100th. I thought he did a great job handling RF. I've never seen a player more ridiculed because he didn't do well at bat or couldn't play because of injuries he probably sustained in right field diving after all those balls. Unbelievable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Geo - what is REALLY disturbing is that when Theo gave him the EARLY and HEFTY extension, Theo cited as one of the reasons for it was that "Beckett is a leader of the pitching staff" and that "he would be a good role model for the younger pitchers".......Please, let us not forget just how messed up Theo really was..........I sure won't!!!!!!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

What younger pitchers?

26yo Daniel Bard?  27yo Jon Lester?

You keep trying to paint Beckett as the immature leader dragging Lester and Buchholz (also 27 soon) around by the nose as the idolized Jimbo Jones figure to their Bart Simpson.

Lester is a grown man capable of making his own decisions.  He is a parent.  Buchholz and Bard - also not 14. It's not like Francona dragged Beckett, Lester and Lackey to his office to chastise them and all Lester could eke out was "But Josh said it was OK." Yet somehow, you seem to think that would have been an acceptable response.

I don't think I will ever care about the off-field activities of Red Sox players, and I have always found that no matter how bad you think they are, they are usually common for their breed.

No one knows the extent of Beckett's injury, and just how precautionary the move was.  I certainly don't, and doubt anyone on this board knows any better.  I do find the ancillary accusations that always follow these to show more ignorance than subsequent proof.   After Chicken and Beer Gate, this board was rampant with chages that Becektt and Lester were alcoholics, despite the amount and frequency never really cited.  But hey, a conclusion! Time to jump!   It has to be news or they wouldn't have reported it!!  This is even worse than Manny visiting close friend Enrique Wilson in a hotel bar on a day he was supposed to be sick!!   

"Golfers hurt their thumb alot.  That explains his thumb injury."   Maybe it does.  It is also worth noting that most contracts forbid physical and risky activities such as skiing, basketball, motorcycles, etc.  Yet for some reason, never golf.  Never heard of that one being banned ever.  I wonder why...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The offense, with it's pitiful 3 runs against the great KC Royals, is the problem.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Well, the offense is on the DL and the lineup is composed of bench nd Pawtucket. 

Haven't you turned on a game yet and watched?

Sections
Shortcuts