Beckett speaks his mind on the schedule

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Beckett speaks his mind on the schedule

"Our travel hasn't exactly been great," he said. "I know that our offense is taking a lot of flack for that. How can you not be tired with the [expletive] that we went through the last week and a half? I don't know how they do it. There's been several days where a couple of these guys have played and I don't know how they did it.

"This travel has been horrible. I don't know who the [expletive] made that doubleheader that day. They [the Rays] come back one more time. We haven't exactly been treated fair here the last week or so. That doubleheader being the most glaring thing for me. I'm not real sure how that gets thrown on that day.

"I don't know how they expect them to still score eight runs after coming back from Seattle, having half an off day and then go get 'em for three games in a day and a half. ... I don't who the [expletive] agreed to that. It was the dumbest thing I've ever seen."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

Re: Beckett speaks his mind on the schedule

i wonder if that excuse comes with a small violin?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I happen to agree with Beckett.  There's been some bizarre scheduling.  I like what he's saying because it sounds like he's being a good team guy, sticking up for the guys on offense rather than complaining about the lack of run scoring.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Call it anything you want, but everything he said is true.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

The schedual has been pretty strange, but thats why baseball is a marathon and not a sprint. The good news is the offense finally stepped up just enough and won a game for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vsports. Show vsports's posts

All teams get stretches like that and there have been a high number of rain outs across the league this year.  Regarding make up games, team officials from both sides come to an agreement on when to play.  Josh should take his concerns to the front office on that one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Beckett speaks his mind on the schedule:
    All teams get stretches like that and there have been a high number of rain outs across the league this year.  Regarding make up games, team officials from both sides come to an agreement on when to play.  Josh should take his concerns to the front office on that one.
    Posted by vsports

You are right. All teams have difficult stretches in their schedules. That's just part of the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

lol..gotta love those Beckett pressers...better be quick on that bleep button..Tongue outLaughing...i respect that he just puts it out there..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Crossing time zones back and forth and traveling is tough on you no matter the quality or luxury of the trip.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Well, if we don't make the post-season, we can just blame on the [expletive]people who made the schedule.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Well, if we don't make the post-season, we can just blame on the [expletive]people who made the schedule.
    Posted by Alibiike

No, the usuals will blame francona..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Crossing time zones back and forth and traveling is tough on you no matter the quality or luxury of the trip.
    Posted by Sully1965
    one thing i do know, i don't envy the M's road trips..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Beckett is right, I have no idea why MLB scheduled 15 to 20 doubleheaders a year back in the day. How did guys throw 9 innings? How did some players play every day of the season without going on the 15-day DL? Why not be like the NHL, just play 2 games in 2 days, take 5 days off, play once, take 2 days, play again. That should be Beckett's speed. In fact, just pitch about 5 or 6 innings and play cards and enjoy life for 4 or 5 days in between. I know you're taxed out there, Josh. How do the players possibly play every day for 3 weeks. Oh, I don't know, maybe they are getting paid to be in the condition to play 22 games in 21 days (or whatever the heck it was). I thought today's athlete had all the amenities to stay in shape, eat right, get fed by the club, and have medical attention at their beck(ett) and call at any team. Any kind of doctor you want, drugs within reason, etc. Pampered ballplayers are just that, pampered. You want to complain, find another profession. You think a lot of us want to work 6 to 7 days a week? We have to, it's called life, get used to it. Oh, that's right, you are in fantasy land.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

In Response to Re: Beckett speaks his mind on the schedule : No, the usuals will blame francona..
    Posted by southpaw777

just a little, but the real culprit would be theo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Beckett in the 1970's would be pitching 15 to 20 CG's a season, he is that type of pitcher. He has been ruined by todays game in that sense. He could just try an emulate Lee and Verlander and be a real ACE rather than a soft 6 inning guy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

I happen to agree with Beckett.  There's been some bizarre scheduling.  I like what he's saying because it sounds like he's being a good team guy, sticking up for the guys on offense rather than complaining about the lack of run scoring.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Even more so when you consider that the three game set with the Rays was only scheduled as a two, prior to the rain out make-up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Beckett in the 1970's would be pitching 15 to 20 CG's a season, he is that type of pitcher. He has been ruined by todays game in that sense. He could just try an emulate Lee and Verlander and be a real ACE rather than a soft 6 inning guy.
    Posted by BurritoT

I think you're right. I think Beckett was built to be a stalwart, but the game of baseball today has turned him into the prototypical 7 inn, 105-pitch guy, at best.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Something pus-si-fied the game of baseball, somewhere along the line...Players Union? Agents? Salaries Sky Rocketing Out of Control?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Glad you agree, because I think I AM RIGHT too.  Tongue out

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's funny, in other sports, Hockey, Basketball, Football, the people say the game is actually faster, better, and the players are in better physical condition, better overall athletes, which translates to a better product for entertainment TV. But in Baseball, if the guys back in the day weren't physically as fit, and didn't have all the amenities like today's guys, didn't have the medical attention, the 24-7 trainers, etc.....HOW THE HECK DID THE GAME TURN PLAYERS INTO MUSH. HOW DID PITCHING TURN INTO 6 OR 7 IP STARTS (specialization, pinch hitters, but they used to do that anyway in the 70s,80s). How did players stop wanting to play 150 games? Better athletes, more inferior product.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Sounds like something went wrong in the system.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Its not that nobody else can be like Cliff Lee or Halliday... the game has stymied the abilty of the good and great pitchers. Beckett should regularly be going 7 innings and having about 8 to 10 complete games. He can't though because he has been made soft.

Come play-off time we might be exposed by the Phillies on this alone.

I am willing to bet that if Lee and Halliday pitched here that the Sox would not allow them to go 9... and there cg's would be halved.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

It's funny, in other sports, Hockey, Basketball, Football, the people say the game is actually faster, better, and the players are in better physical condition, better overall athletes, which translates to a better product for entertainment TV. But in Baseball, if the guys back in the day weren't physically as fit, and didn't have all the amenities like today's guys, didn't have the medical attention, the 24-7 trainers, etc.....HOW THE HECK DID THE GAME TURN PLAYERS INTO MUSH. HOW DID PITCHING TURN INTO 6 OR 7 IP STARTS (specialization, pinch hitters, but they used to do that anyway in the 70s,80s). How did players stop wanting to play 150 games? Better athletes, more inferior product.
    Posted by dannycater

I think all the conditioning the modern baseball players do actually to contribute to their wearing down and getting injured over the course of a season.  Now, if they trained with a bit more enlightenment, i.e. hows about an hour of hatha yoga instead of that extra hour in the clubhouse weightroom, then the stress of a crutal 162 would be much easier to endure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Posted by vsports

and that would do what? there's no crying in baseball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ><. Show ><'s posts

Sounds like a whiny bunch of excuses to me

Sections
Shortcuts