Beckett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Beckett

There was a time where I thought he was way too arrogant and at times a prima donna, but even though things haven't gone well for Beckett last few starts, I appreciate him even more as a quality pitcher and teammate for Sox. He doesn't hold back in his quotes, and he takes responsibility for his own mistakes. As much as I don't care for Lackey, for different reasons, I find myself rooting more and more for Beckett to do well. I understand his importance to the team and I realize he's not as dominating when he was young, but he's still a better pitcher overall. I think he could have gotten away with the loss of control of his fastball later in that game. He should have gone curve instead of a 3-2 fastball on the walk preceding the inside the park homer, but that's again just a thing he will do as he adjusts to using more of his stuff rather than just be a "power" pitcher. He's capable, and he will be a good pitcher for a long time if he keeps in shape. I hope he stays a Sox for the rest of his career, and maybe he'll get another shot if the Sox do somehow win WC.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Beckett

In Response to Beckett:
    [QUOTE]There was a time where I thought he was way too arrogant and at times a prima donna, but even though things haven't gone well for Beckett last few starts, I appreciate him even more as a quality pitcher and teammate for Sox. He doesn't hold back in his quotes, and he takes responsibility for his own mistakes. As much as I don't care for Lackey, for different reasons, I find myself rooting more and more for Beckett to do well. I understand his importance to the team and I realize he's not as dominating when he was young, but he's still a better pitcher overall. I think he could have gotten away with the loss of control of his fastball later in that game. He should have gone curve instead of a 3-2 fastball on the walk preceding the inside the park homer, but that's again just a thing he will do as he adjusts to using more of his stuff rather than just be a "power" pitcher. He's capable, and he will be a good pitcher for a long time if he keeps in shape. I hope he stays a Sox for the rest of his career, and maybe he'll get another shot if the Sox do somehow win WC.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]DANNY................... JOSH IS FAT AND OUT OF SHAPE, VERY PREDICTABLE & HITABLE TOO !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well, here is what I see with him

He doesn't have the zip on the fastball nor does he have the 2 seemer anymore

So he tries to be pin point with his control.  And what it does is throws off his mechanics - it appears that he is aiming the ball.  Look at his follow-through - it's is a mess.  Instead of just letting it RIP and letting his arm whip around his body, it looks like he is a 9 year old bowler trying to force the destination of the ball w/ his arm motion long after the ball has been released. 

I thought I was wrong about the Theo extension to Beckett - but, guess what, I was wrong about that!!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

if Ells doesn't run into the fence and drop the ball...it's 3-2 game just saying...If we get a couple hits with runners on base in the 1st three innings it's a different game...

Beckett is no longer a top of the rotation starter and frankly has only lived up to his hype in the post seasons of 03 and 07...He's lost 4 to 5 mph on his upper end fastball and doesn't consistently command his break ing ball....He's more of a quality 2...I love the guys grit...something is amiss with he and Lester this year neither of them have pitched to their resumes in September...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

In Response to Re: Beckett:
    [QUOTE]if Ells doesn't run into the fence and drop the ball...it's 3-2 game just saying...If we get a couple hits with runners on base in the 1st three innings it's a different game... Beckett is no longer a top of the rotation starter and frankly has only lived up to his hype in the post seasons of 03 and 07...He's lost 4 to 5 mph on his upper end fastball and doesn't consistently command his break ing ball....He's more of a quality 2...I love the guys grit...something is amiss with he and Lester this year neither of them have pitched to their resumes in September...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

IF ells doesnt go all out he doesnt reach that ball....thats a 50/50 play, sometimes he will hang on some times he wont, not his fault.

Beckett has pitched exactly to his resume in Sept. He has faultered late over the last 5 years. Lester better be hurt, or else it is shameful the way that he has pitched of late, no where near a #1. He was a boarderline #1 at best given his inability to get late into games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

If "A" pitcher is having problems, then it's on the pitcher.  But when the entire pitching staff is having issues, then isn't it an organizational issue?  Granted they had some major injuries, but Becket and Lester have been stinking up the place lately as well.

I think this season points out how important John Farell was to the pitching staff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Look, both Beckett and Lester have lost velocity.

Beckett's mechanics are off

And Lester well, Lester is just an angry, spoiled dude who simply can not compose himself if he hits a few bumps in the road

Add it up, and you have a disater in the making

Buck - I thought he would be the ace this year.  But his injuries are starting to tick me off - big time

Dice K - I could deal w/ him as a #4 man and I we do miss him

Lackey - I still believe in him as a #5 but he disrespects his teammates, manager and the game and should be gotten rid of for that reason

Wakefield - has pitched one year too many, at LEAST one year too many

Aceves - no reason not to move him to the rotation

Minor Leagues - we ain't got nobody.  Theo is trying to trade for a pitcher to make one start.  What does that say about our farm system?

Bedard and Miller experiments are also failing

Forget the pen w/ Jenks, Wheeler, Albiers and Reyes

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett : IF ells doesnt go all out he doesnt reach that ball....thats a 50/50 play, sometimes he will hang on some times he wont, not his fault. Beckett has pitched exactly to his resume in Sept. He has faultered late over the last 5 years. Lester better be hurt, or else it is shameful the way that he has pitched of late, no where near a #1. He was a boarderline #1 at best given his inability to get late into games.
    Posted by gbman87603[/QUOTE]

gbman,
    My statement above was not blaming Ellsbury, rather pointing out how that one play changed the entire complextion of the game...It was an almost great play by Ells...no issue with him on that what so ever...

Something is amiss with Lester and Beckett and I agree that he's struggled to finish strong since 2007...Lester has been a horse did strian a lat earlier this year and has struggled with his command all year...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

I think Beckett's ankle is still not quite right, and it doesn't take much to throw a pitcher a little off with mechanics or whatever.  Velocity down may be a function of not being able to quite push off at 100%.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Hmmm....the Sox blame injuries, which obviously depleted the starting staff.
    However, the two guys who are "aces" have come up small, at a critical time.
    What's their excuse?
    As for The Lizard being an ace, not happening. Buchholz doesn't have the toughness needed to be one.
    DiceK is in his own world.
    That which was thought to be the team's strength, has become a quagmire of injuries and ineptitude.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Schilling said it perfectly this morning.  It was all about EXECUTION.  Beckett had a bunch of 0-2 and 1-2 counts on the Baltimore hitters and couldn't close the deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bhonest. Show bhonest's posts

[QUOTE]if Ells doesn't run into the fence and drop the ball...it's 3-2 game just saying...If we get a couple hits with runners on base in the 1st three innings it's a different game... Beckett is no longer a top of the rotation starter and frankly has only lived up to his hype in the post seasons of 03 and 07...He's lost 4 to 5 mph on his upper end fastball and doesn't consistently command his break ing ball....He's more of a quality 2...I love the guys grit...something is amiss with he and Lester this year neither of them have pitched to their resumes in September...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

how lucky ellsbury is that it wasn't the last game of the year and cost them the season. the play would have been a top ten bummer in sox history. if johnny most was doing the play by play, you know what the call would have been. pressure is rising.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Reason for Beckett's Velocity is down is he is trying to avoid to strain his upper back where he have hurted in the same spot in the past two years.  So it sound like Beckett just do not want to be an overpower pitcher like he use to be in the early 20's.  If he see that he is able to throw 94 mph than he used to throw 95 to 96mph, I do not mind seeing him to lose just one less mph or two mph cuz I rather to see him to pitch for the Sox for another 5 more years instead seeing him shorten his career.

For Lester, I think there is something wrong with him.  Since Beckett is more open minded and alway communcate with his pitching coach and manager on whatever that bother him. But I just think Lester is the opposite.  He just keep his mouth shut and just continue pitching.   Maybe he thought that the Sox would make into the playoff easily, and he just want to be part of it.  Now maybe he could have made himself worsen.  Another thing, I just do not hope that his cancer coming back to him.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Beckett hasn't thrown a consistant 95-96 since 2007....His issue is command his breaking ball...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Beckett is no longer the Beckett of old...it was quite interesting to hear Jerry Remy say in the 5th inning that Beckett seemed fatigued. Are you kidding me...the 5th inning? The Red Sox pitching staff consists of fat, overweight and out of shape use to be flame throwers. Even if this team makes it to the playoffs....them getting swept is distinct possibility (much closer to a reality). Simply put....they suck (we suck)!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

last night i could have sworn that was bobby jenks on the mound starting for the pathetic sox.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]Look, both Beckett and Lester have lost velocity. Beckett's mechanics are off And Lester well, Lester is just an angry, spoiled dude who simply can not compose himself if he hits a few bumps in the road Add it up, and you have a disater in the making Buck - I thought he would be the ace this year.  But his injuries are starting to tick me off - big time Dice K - I could deal w/ him as a #4 man and I we do miss him Lackey - I still believe in him as a #5 but he disrespects his teammates, manager and the game and should be gotten rid of for that reason Wakefield - has pitched one year too many, at LEAST one year too many Aceves - no reason not to move him to the rotation Minor Leagues - we ain't got nobody.  Theo is trying to trade for a pitcher to make one start.  What does that say about our farm system? Bedard and Miller experiments are also failing Forget the pen w/ Jenks, Wheeler, Albiers and Reyes
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Wow, this statement really shows your lack of knowledge of history.  He has handled a "bump in the road" with more success than anyone currently in MLB.    Read up on Lester and then try to pry your foot out of your mouth.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Beckett needed his binky, aka Tek ... he can't pitch without him.   Tek makes Beckett throw certain pitches, Beckett shook off too many yesterday from Salty.   Breaking ball afer breaking ball ... and not good ones either. 

Oh well.  Two more games to watch.  Go Sox. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett : Wow, this statement really shows your lack of knowledge of history.  He has handled a "bump in the road" with more success than anyone currently in MLB.    Read up on Lester and then try to pry your foot out of your mouth.
    Posted by greenwellforpresident[/QUOTE]

I am not talking about off-field matters

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Beckett is regularly spent by the 6th inning.  He looks like a guy trying to convince himself he believes in his stuff. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bhonest. Show bhonest's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett is regularly spent by the 6th inning.  He looks like a guy trying to convince himself he believes in his stuff. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

the semen are cowards? not mine, by god!

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts