Bedard--"Fast Ball" to Napoli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Bedard--"Fast Ball" to Napoli

If you watched the meeting between Salty and Bedard before Bedard's two strike pitch for a homer to Napoli--Bedard very clearly said, for all to see, Fast Ball. If I saw it, and I'm pretty certain I did, then the third base or first base coach saw it as well. It would be interesting to see if Napoli got any sign for fast ball before the pitch.

Which ump should have gotten the "Catch" by Reddick--the first or second base?
    I'd guess the second since he could have easily been backed up by the 3 rd base ump. It was a tough call but it wasn't that deep in RF for someone not to have given that ump assistance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

Re: Bedard--"Fast Ball" to Napoli

In Response to Bedard--"Fast Ball" to Napoli:
    If you watched the meeting between Salty and Bedard before Bedard's two strike pitch for a homer to Napoli--Bedard very clearly said, for all to see, Fast Ball . If I saw it, and I'm pretty certain I did, then the third base or first base coach saw it as well. It would be interesting to see if Napoli got any sign for fast ball before the pitch. Which ump should have gotten the "Catch" by Reddick--the first or second base? I'd guess the second since he could have easily been backed up by the 3 rd base ump. It was a tough call but it wasn't that deep in RF for someone not to have given that ump assistance.
    Posted by MadMc44

There are procedures for rotation on plays which are dependent on the situation with base runners.  You had a runner on first so you don't want the ump leaving second as the next logical spot for a play is there.  The home plate ump would move to cover first if needed.  The first base ump probaly should have angled a bit more toward right field proper, instead of hugging the line.  To the extent possible, you are also taught to not make the call while running as you head would be moving.  That said he appeared to have a clean look at Reddick so it is hard figure what he saw, but obviously the camera angle was better than his field level look.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

It did not look even close to being trapped, I can't understand the ump being that certain on huge play like that.  The replays were from a better angle, but why say he trapped it when there was no indication it hit the ground at all?  

Regardless the Sox hitters were not going to do anything, it is just a shame for Bedard ... he is a beter pitcher than his line shows.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

bedard must still think he's with seattle. the sox's offense has been very offensive.
    btw, does anyone know the record for number of times in one game a batter
    grounds out to the pitcher. ol' mcdonald had done it 3 times last night before i switched the boring game off.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard--"Fast Ball" to Napoli:
    It did not look even close to being trapped, I can't understand the ump being that certain on huge play like that.  The replays were from a better angle, but why say he trapped it when there was no indication it hit the ground at all?   Regardless the Sox hitters were not going to do anything, it is just a shame for Bedard ... he is a beter pitcher than his line shows.  
    Posted by soxmeister

Bedard was a good pick up for the Sox, he has a lot of AL East experience....I was jealous of the move.  I wish the Yanks got him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Without three top five best hitters (Youk, Elsbury and Papi) is the main difference for tonite game.  But I am disappointed that there is more left handed hitter/switch hitter got more hits than any normal right handed hitter except Dustin.  I first thought that having six guys that can bat right hand against tough Wilson may work out well for Boston, but I guess I was wrong about it.

Well, right now Boston just have to find a way to win more close games like they did in past two weeks due injuries!!

Good news is that Tampa Bay lost as well the next two out of three games against Texas, both pitchers are right handed pitcher.  So there fore, Tito can go back to heavy left handed hitters line up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

If you watched the meeting between Salty and Bedard before Bedard's two strike pitch for a homer to Napoli--Bedard very clearly said, for all to see, Fast Ball . If I saw it, and I'm pretty certain I did, then the third base or first base coach saw it as well. It would be interesting to see if Napoli got any sign for fast ball before the pitch. Which ump should have gotten the "Catch" by Reddick--the first or second base? I'd guess the second since he could have easily been backed up by the 3 rd base ump. It was a tough call but it wasn't that deep in RF for someone not to have given that ump assistance.
    Posted by MadMc44

Does it matter? Can't win a ball game scoring zero runs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by MadMc44

Bedard made a bad pitch but kept us in the game long enough for the offense to do something.  Even the early run may not have been scored  if the replay of Reddicks catch was reviewd.  Our lineup is simply inferior to Texas at the moment. 

Lackey really has his work cut out for him tonight.  Texas appears to have our number this season like we have the Yanks.  It should be a very interesting PS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Aviles maked the OF solid for years to come.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Bedard--"Fast Ball" to Napoli : Bedard made a bad pitch but kept us in the game long enough for the offense to do something.  Even the early run may not have been scored  if the replay of Reddicks catch was reviewd.  Our lineup is simply inferior to Texas at the moment.  Lackey really has his work cut out for him tonight.  Texas appears to have our number this season like we have the Yanks.   It should be a very interesting PS.
    Posted by craze4sox

Texas may have our number but this series isnt proving that as a fact, because these are not the Red Sox team they are facing. Yes all teams face injuries, but any time is playing without its leadoff, cleanup and five hole hitters, they are going to be distinct underdogs, especially against the defending AL champs. I would have loved a split, but if Beckett cvan win his game and we go home 4-4 on this road trip, hopefully with everyone back healthy, then I like our chances to catch the Yankees down the stretch, especially if you are right and we have their number.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

I think that pitch came on a 1 and 2 count....wasn't the smartest of pitches. But with that Punch and Judy lineup the Sox put out there it really didn't matter....final score would have been 1-0.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Aviles maked the OF solid for years to come.
    Posted by S0ftl@w

LOL ...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard--"Fast Ball" to Napoli : Texas may have our number but this series isnt proving that as a fact, because these are not the Red Sox team they are facing. Yes all teams face injuries, but any time is playing without its leadoff, cleanup and five hole hitters, they are going to be distinct underdogs, especially against the defending AL champs. I would have loved a split, but if Beckett cvan win his game and we go home 4-4 on this road trip, hopefully with everyone back healthy, then I like our chances to catch the Yankees down the stretch, especially if you are right and we have their number.
    Posted by tomnev

tomnev,

I think we all hope for the best but the reality is "at the moment anyway" Texas simply has more fire power, not to mention HF advantage in the series.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard--"Fast Ball" to Napoli : tomnev, I think we all hope for the best but the reality is "at the moment anyway" Texas simply has more fire power, not to mention HF advantage in the series.
    Posted by craze4sox

Exactly.....hope for the best, and don't get down an the team and think the sky is falling because you don;t beat the Rangers this series. Just becuase you dont win here doesnt mean a healthy Sox team cant beat them in the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard--"Fast Ball" to Napoli : Exactly.....hope for the best, and don't get down an the team and think the sky is falling because you don;t beat the Rangers this series. Just becuase you dont win here doesnt mean a healthy Sox team cant beat them in the playoffs.
    Posted by tomnev

that's an oxymoron.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Why would people rag on Bedard after a pretty good outing last night?  That game should have been 3-0, not 4-0.  Reddick made that catch in left and doubled up the runner at first.

From the beginning, it was clear that the Sox were going to do their disappearing offense trick.  That game was over at 1-0.  But it's not Bedard's "fault":  3-0 against the Rangers is pretty da** good for a guy making only his fourth start off the DL.

Sox are going to drop 3 of 4, if not get swept.  Texas is out of our league.  End of this week, the Yanks will have a 3-4 game lead in this division, and TB isn't totally out of it yet.  Injuries and poor production have decimated this lineup; they are effectively a minor league offense right now, and it's the wrong time for that to have happened. 

This routine has gotten too old.  We know how it plays out from here.  Thank God for the wildcard.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

Why would people rag on Bedard after a pretty good outing last night?  That game should have been 3-0, not 4-0.  Reddick made that catch in left and doubled up the runner at first. From the beginning, it was clear that the Sox were going to do their disappearing offense trick.  That game was over at 1-0.  But it's not Bedard's "fault":  3-0 against the Rangers is pretty da** good for a guy making only his fourth start off the DL. Sox are going to drop 3 of 4, if not get swept.  Texas is out of our league.  End of this week, the Yanks will have a 3-4 game lead in this division, and TB isn't totally out of it yet.  Injuries and poor production have decimated this lineup; they are effectively a minor league offense right now, and it's the wrong time for that to have happened.  This routine has gotten too old.  We know how it plays out from here.  Thank God for the wildcard.
    Posted by soups

they should be called the boston WUS sox.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The fastball to Napoli was up, just wasn't in, ...Napoli put a good swing on it and in the end all three of the runs were meaniless, it wasn't a bad pitch, just good hitting. Up to that point it was a 1-0 ball game, had Napoli popped out or swung through, not sure it would've mattered in the end becasue CJ Wilson's pitched a great game 6 2/3 rd and the pen came in and finished the deal.

Our problem yesterday had little to do with the lineup, lets give credit where it's due. Wilson is having a stellar season, his numbers given the park he pitches in are borderline CY material. Tip of the cap, job well done, lets lace em up and go get em today!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Knowing that the pitch will be  fastball is one thing. Hitting it for a homer is another.

It's been common knowledge that the Dodgers stole the Giants's signs during the 1951 payoff game - the Shot Heard Round the World game - so it is likely that Bobby Thompson knew he was getting a fastball from Ralph Branca. 

But even Thompson shrugged off that advantage.  You still have to hit the ball, and hit it for a homer, he said (I am paraphrasing). 

Bedard most likely threw a good pitch, Napoli made a good hit.  Next time, same pitch, different result. That's baseball.

Let's not lose too much sleep over this.  Franconia is resting his players and getting ready for the stretch run.  Let's take as many games as we can from  TEX and focus on taking 4 of 6 from NYY down the road.

Sections
Shortcuts