Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays

Rays 3-0 in the 2nd inning.  Bedard has given up 3 hits and 4 walks in 1.1 innings.Jimenez or nothing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays

The first start back after a monthlong layoff is a definitive performance for sure. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

and has been relieved by Laffey after 57 pitches.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays:
    [QUOTE]Rays 3-0 in the 2nd inning.  Bedard has given up 3 hits and 4 walks in 1.1 innings.Jimenez or nothing.
    Posted by wlbpatriotsfan[/QUOTE]

He didn't even make it out of the 2nd inning. So much for all of the "experts" saying that he is such a good fit for the Sox. I would rather have Lackey starting than Bedard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Pretty short audition.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : He didn't even make it out of the 2nd inning. So much for all of the "experts" saying that he is such a good fit for the Sox. I would rather have Lackey starting than Bedard.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

By all means, let's go by one game off a layoff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Get him now while price is low. Give them Lowrie one broken down player for another.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

We Mariners fans are no strangers to disappointment, but tonight's auditions by Erik Bedard and Aaron Laffey may have achieved a new low.

I guess Bedard was serious when the lefthander said he did not want to leave Seattle.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya i would say bedard will likely be staying in seattle. Maybe a team like the tigers or indians would take a shot at hit and take the risk but i cant see theo picking him up. Its ubaldo or nothing at this point. Hopefully theo doesnt gets a deal done. I would give them weiland, middlebrooks, and lars anderson and maybe include a lower level prospect. (a b level guy tops)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : By all means, let's go by one game off a layoff.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

The one game is all we have time to go by since the deadline is Sunday. It is that context that is relevant here. Do you wish to trade Reddick for Bedard now. Of course the Law types will use 20-20 hindsight in any event and that strategy is always 100% accurate. Law was a master at that and got many troll belly laughs employing it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

anyone else wish we had the phillies gm instead of theo? he always seems to get the big deals done. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]anyone else wish we had the phillies gm instead of theo? he always seems to get the big deals done. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

More words of wisdom from "redsoxpride". lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Larry Stone
    Bedard coming out after 1 1/3 innings. Not sure why, but 30 men carrying radar guns and clipboards just walked out of stadium.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Never liked Bedard hurt way too much. Hope tonights game amkes the rethink picking him up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

A former O's executive  had this to say in a Bostonherald.com article.
    "Bedard hasn’t made a start in August or September since the 2007 season. In fact, he always seems to get injured in July, shortly before the trade deadline."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : The one game is all we have time to go by since the deadline is Sunday. It is that context that is relevant here. Do you wish to trade Reddick for Bedard now. Of course the Law types will use 20-20 hindsight in any event and that strategy is always 100% accurate. Law was a master at that and got many troll belly laughs employing it.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

No, the one game is all you wish to go by.
    You dismiss his season for one game off the DL.

I don't want to see Reddick go. But I do advocate acquiring Beddard & Quinten in that I believe they will give the RedSox a better shot in the PO's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

as i said before, bedard makes no sense for the sox. he gets injured more often than buchholz who is injury prone himself and is 5 years older. The only guy that makes sense is ubaldo jimenez. No point in wasting prospects on rental players. Especially injury prone ones. Bedard wont even qualify as a type b, so he will not bring back any draft pick compensation when he walks after this season. Kuroda who has also been mentioned is 36 years old, no thanks. Ubaldo all the way. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : No, the one game is all you wish to go by. You dismiss his season for one game off the DL. I don't want to see Reddick go. But I do advocate acquiring Beddard & Quinten in that I believe they will give the RedSox a better shot in the PO's.  

I think the Red Sox need another solid starter, but after tonight's performance and his injury history, I would think Bedard is too much of a risk.  Do you feel confident in giving up Reddick for Bedard at this point? 

I think the FO pretty much already knew what Bedard is capable of when healthy.  Scouting tonight's performance was to guage how healthy he is and how effectively he will bounce back from injury.  Granted, it was only one game off the DL, but I'm thinking he is either not 100%, or he folded under the pressure of all the scouts.  In either case, I don't think he would be a reliable acquisition.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : He didn't even make it out of the 2nd inning. So much for all of the "experts" saying that he is such a good fit for the Sox. I would rather have Lackey starting than Bedard.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

The supposed "experts" you're insulting are Sox posters on this board. You're a Yankee fan, "Jr". You have been since you spent a significant amount of time posting as one on Beni's threads. Who you would rather have pitching really doesn't mean anything. Try to keep up with your own aliases. They do tend to all come out at once after a Sox loss.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : I think the Red Sox need another solid starter, but after tonight's performance and his injury history, I would think Bedard is too much of a risk.  Do you feel confident in giving up Reddick for Bedard at this point?  I think the FO pretty much already knew what Bedard is capable of when healthy.  Scouting tonight's performance was to guage how healthy he is and how effectively he will bounce back from injury.  Granted, it was only one game off the DL, but I'm thinking he is either not 100%, or he folded under the pressure of all the scouts.  In either case, I don't think he would be a reliable acquisition.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Kimmi, I'd have to watch the replay. Was his velocity in tact? If so, he's likely healthy but had command issues. Hard to impress people off a layoff. People may be reading too much into the scouts thing.
    It could simply be a pitcher trying to get on track. Poor debuts off the DL are very common.

Do I want Beddard for Reddick? No. Not in that context. Reddick is only available if the RedSox secure Reddick's replacement. And if that replacement is Quentin, and if Beddard is healthy and needs some work, and if both players are extended thru 2012, then, yeah, I'd go there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : Kimmi , I'd have to watch the replay. Was his velocity in tact? If so, he's likely healthy but had command issues. Hard to impress people off a layoff. People may be reading too much into the scouts thing. It could simply be a pitcher trying to get on track. Poor debuts off the DL are very common. Do I want Beddard for Reddick? No. Not in that context. Reddick is only available if the RedSox secure Reddick's replacement . And if that replacement is Quentin, and if Beddard is healthy and needs some work, and if both players are extended thru 2012, then, yeah, I'd go there.

I agree, it's hard to try to make an assessment off of one start from the DL.  But, that is all we get before the trade deadline.  As I said previously, the FO already knows what kind of pitcher Bedard is when healthy.  There is a reason why, if any of the rumors are true, trading for Bedard hinged on his performance tonight, no?  My feeling at this point is that the possible benefits of acquiring him do not outweigh the risks, unless his price comes down considerably.

FTR, if the right deal comes along, I would trade Reddick while his value is high.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : I agree, it's hard to try to make an assessment off of one start from the DL.  But, that is all we get before the trade deadline.  As I said previously, the FO already knows what kind of pitcher Bedard is when healthy.  There is a reason why, if any of the rumors are true, trading for Bedard hinged on his performance tonight, no?  My feeling at this point is that the possible benefits of acquiring him do not outweigh the risks, unless his price comes down considerably. FTR, if the right deal comes along, I would trade Reddick while his value is high.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And maybe Theo has more vision than to go by one game and might have some leverage that could keep Reddick out of the equation (although I doubt it).

The gamble is lessened by the moving pieces.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : Exactly. And maybe Theo has more vision than to go by one game and might have some leverage that could keep Reddick out of the equation (although I doubt it). The gamble is lessened by the moving pieces.
    Duquette says Bedard doesn't like the spotlight, etc., etc. Who knows?  In any case, Theo should not and probably will not go by one game. We can't know what he was looking for tonight and has been asking around to see what people think. Bedard might be OK ( might be ) but only, as you say, if a serviceable RFer is also on the way.  Still, hate to lose a guy who seems to be playing as though a light bulb has gone on in his head.  
    Let's face it, the Sox are in a bind. Even if Buchholz returns, he may not be himself in time to help this club. As moon has said, the Sox need a reliable mid-rotation guy, not just any old pitcher to fill the gap.  All the other GM's know what the score is.  Kuroda could answer the description above, and might even be a little better in Boston if given some early runs to work with. And he's a gamer. Not much chance of his wilting under the pressure -- and that should be a consideration. ( See Duquette, FWIT. )  Both Bedard and Harden are threats to end up on the DL.  Theo might surprise and send a rasher of top prospects for Ubaldo with the idea of "now, now, now."
    By Monday, there will be plenty to yack about.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : Duquette says Bedard doesn't like the spotlight, etc., etc. Who knows?  In any case, Theo should not and probably will not go by one game. We can't know what he was looking for tonight and has been asking around to see what people think. Bedard might be OK ( might be ) but only, as you say, if a serviceable RFer is also on the way.  Still, hate to lose a guy who seems to be playing as though a light bulb has gone on in his head.   Let's face it, the Sox are in a bind. Even if Buchholz returns, he may not be himself in time to help this club. As moon has said, the Sox need a reliable mid-rotation guy, not just any old pitcher to fill the gap.  All the other GM's know what the score is.  Kuroda could answer the description above, and might even be a little better in Boston if given some early runs to work with. And he's a gamer. Not much chance of his wilting under the pressure -- and that should be a consideration. ( See Duquette, FWIT. )  Both Bedard and Harden are threats to end up on the DL.  Theo might surprise and send a rasher of top prospects for Ubaldo with the idea of "now, now, now." By Monday, there will be plenty to yack about.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not the kind of bind they were in - in '09. Tek was hurt and George Kottaras wasn't the answer. The perception was they needed VMART to get into the PO's. It turned out to be a double-edged sword (in the PO's).
    In any event, Theo wisely held out, and held Buch out of the equation.

This year, I think they can make the PO's without making a deal, although that's up for debate. So, he does have some leverage. I can't see him cutting a deal for the sake of making a trade. If he deals off a strength, then the gamble is already minimized.

But I'm betting he won't buckle under to get the short end. He can stand pat and move some inner pieces. For example, moving Miller to the pen and bringing up Lavarnway. And there's always the waiver wire after the 31st...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya but keep in mind kuroda is 36 years old and has played his entire career in the NL in one of the weeker hitting divisions. The sox need jimenez more than people like to think. Especially with the phillies picking up pence. The sox chances of winning a world series just got even lower. The only way the can up their chances now is by dealing for jimenez. There will always be more prospects. It is rare you get a chance to trade for a 27 year old pitcher who is in his prime and will be signed for cheap for the next 2-3 years.

Sections
Shortcuts