Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays

In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays:
    ya but keep in mind kuroda is 36 years old and has played his entire career in the NL in one of the weeker hitting divisions. The sox need jimenez more than people like to think. Especially with the phillies picking up pence. The sox chances of winning a world series just got even lower. The only way the can up their chances now is by dealing for jimenez. There will always be more prospects. It is rare you get a chance to trade for a 27 year old pitcher who is in his prime and will be signed for cheap for the next 2-3 years.
    Posted by redsoxpride34

Prime? He's 6-9 with a 4.20 ERA 1.336 WHIP.
    He's had one great season. Otherwise, he's a .500 pitcher.

In fact, he's actually had one half a great season.
    He was 4-7  3.80 ERA 1.3 WHIP in the second half of 2010.
    That's 10-16 with a 4 ERA since July of 2010. I'd hardly call that a prime.
    More like a pitcher exposed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : Prime? He's 6-9 with a 4.20 ERA 1.336 WHIP. He's had one great season. Otherwise, he's a .500 pitcher. In fact, he's actually had one half a great season. He was 4-7  3.80 ERA 1.3 WHIP in the second half of 2010. That's 10-16 with a 4 ERA since July of 2010. I'd hardly call that a prime. More like a pitcher exposed.
    Posted by harness

Don't worry, Cashman shall covet him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That was funny.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays:
    Rays 3-0 in the 2nd inning.  Bedard has given up 3 hits and 4 walks in 1.1 innings.Jimenez or nothing.
    Posted by wlbpatriotsfan

If Theo's still willing to take him I would be shocked.  We could really use Karoda or Jimenez, especially after the Phillies just stole Pence for basically nothing.

Lester
    Beckett
    Buchholz
    Karoda or Jimenez
    Lackey

This should finally give us reliable options.  If Clay comes back before the PS even better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think there are a 1,000 starting pitchers in the last 25 years who over the span of their short MLB careers had one or two 15+ win seasons. They all went on to big contracts and then evaporated within a few short seasons.

Mike Hampton anyone?

Not to knock Bedard but it is very hard to tell what he will do. If there was a way to acquire a pitcher who is currently pitching well for the season it would be a wiser move.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I think there are a 1,000 starting pitchers in the last 25 years who over the span of their short MLB careers had one or two 15+ win seasons. They all went on to big contracts and then evaporated within a few short seasons. Mike Hampton anyone? Not to knock Bedard but it is very hard to tell what he will do. If there was a way to acquire a pitcher who is currently pitching well for the season it would be a wiser move.
    Posted by BurritoT

We still have two days to fill holes, lets just hope for the best.  Last night once again proved our bats can easiliy be shut down by good pitching.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Don't base everything on one game. I believe Bedard would help the Sox, just don't want to overpay  for him which seems to be the case most of the time.

I don't know what the fair price would be but, I also believe we have seen the  best of Reddick, and he will not produce the last two months as he did in the last months. I am  still not convinced that Reddick is a productive big league player. Remember a player named Phil Plantier, he was light's out for a couple of momths, then nothing after that. Reddick reminds me of Plantier. I hope I'm wrong, just have that feeling about Reddick.

I would still take a chance on Bedard.  When healthy he is very good, but as always the question is  C an he stay healthy for two months?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : Well, it's not the kind of bind they were in - in '09. Tek was hurt and George Kottaras wasn't the answer. The perception was they needed VMART to get into the PO's. It turned out to be a double-edged sword (in the PO's). In any event, Theo wisely held out, and held Buch out of the equation. This year, I think they can make the PO's without making a deal, although that's up for debate. So, he does have some  leverage. I can't see him cutting a deal for the sake of making a trade. If he deals off a strength, then the gamble is already minimized. But I'm betting he won't buckle under to get the short end. He can stand pat and move some inner pieces. For example, moving Miller to the pen and bringing up Lavarnway. And there's always the waiver wire after the 31st...
    Posted by harness
    The Sox can probably make the playoffs with their current roster, but Theo built the club to win the WS.  Absent Buchholz, that goal becomes a much longer shot, and right now Theo must assume that he needs a replacement, just to be on the safe side. That's the bind. The Sox don't have a reliable starter for game 3. Other GM's will and should make Theo pay to acquire that pitcher. If Reddick is part of a package to acquire him, other GM's know that Theo will need to replace him.  And so on. 
    Theo's leverage depends upon what his goal is for the season. He'll have sent some kind of signal by tomorrow night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : By all means, let's go by one game off a layoff.
    Posted by harness

By all means, let's ignore his injury riddled history.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Get him now while price is low. Give them Lowrie one broken down player for another.
    Posted by attic-dan

Lowrie has ten million times more value for this than Bedard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

In Response to Bedard Getting Rocked by Rays : If Theo's still willing to take him I would be shocked.  We could really use Karoda or Jimenez, especially after the Phillies just stole Pence for basically nothing. Lester Beckett Buchholz Karoda or Jimenez Lackey This should finally give us reliable options.  If Clay comes back before the PS even better.
    Posted by craze4sox

Can we all stop with the "Phillies stole Pence for nothing" comments.  As Notin astutely noted in another thread "Jonathan Singleton was the #39 prospect in MLB according the Baseball America's 2011 pre-season ranking. Jarred Cosart was #70 on the same list. The only 2 Red Sox prospects in the top 70 were Jose Iglesias (#52) and Anthony Ranaudo (#67)."

Now I realize these were preseason rankings and this is just one list, but Iglesias and Ranaudo haven't exactly excelled since the preseason rankings.  Had the Red Sox shipped Iglesias, Ranaudo, another minor leaguer and a player to be named later for Pence this board would be screaming that Theo just got fleeced.

We tend to overvalue our prospects while minimizing other team's prospects.

Sections
Shortcuts