Bedard: 'Last place to first place in a heartbeat'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Bedard: 'Last place to first place in a heartbeat'

Posted by Julian Benbow, Globe Staff

Being dealt from Seattle to Boston over the weekend meant Erik Bedard went from worst to first in a blink. He met the media this afternoon, two days before he's scheduled to make his Red Sox debut, excited by the opportunity to be a part of a pennant chase for the first time in his career.

"This is a great opportunity, when I jump from last place to first place in a heartbeat," Bedard said. "So it’s fun. I’m just going to come here and do the best I can, try to win ball games and help the team win."

"It means the world. You play this game to be in a playoff, to play in a World Series and win a World Series. So it’s a great opportunity and I’m going to do the best I can."

Sox manager Terry Francona said he intends to hold Bedard to 75-80 pitches Thursday. Bedard went on the 15-day DL at the end of June with a sprained left knee and made his first start last Friday, throwing just 1.2 innings and giving up five runs. Dealing with a player who's essentially missed the past month, Francona said it's important to be patient in the early stages.

"With Erik, we understand with him we’re going to have to be a little bit slow here," Francona said. "He pitched a game probably for obvious reasons, probably before he was ready to pitch. He should have probably been on rehab. Now, we all understand why. I’m glad he did. But he’ll be on a pitch limit Thursday and we’re going to try to ramp him up to the point where -- we obviously need to win games, but we also need to look at the big picture where we want him to be at his best coming in September and hopefully moving forward."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Bedard: 'Last place to first place in a heartbeat'

Red Sox nation needs to send this guy some positive energy.  He needs to get off to a good start.  It will make him feel good about himself.  He'll be able to relax.  The fans will get behind him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I liked what i saw and heard from Bedard today..I think hes going to be just fine here, nevermind what the damn media has been saying about him..If he can stay healthy, He's got better "stuff" than Lackey and could overtake the 3 spot. Big if though..despite the negative stuff about Bedard, call me crazy but I got a good feeling...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Saw two interviews with him just now on NESN. I am impressed with his responses. The incident mentioned on this forum recently about his being gruff with the press may have been blown out of proportion. I can remember one incident a couple years ago where Beckett lost his patience with Heidi. Those things happen occasionally and they should not be overstated as they often are. NESN has a good staff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Bedard talks the tlk, let's see if he can walk the walk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

I like his attitude.  So all the media stories about how he hates the media and is shy and doesn't like attention may, in fact, be wrong?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard: 'Last place to first place in a heartbeat':
    [QUOTE]I like his attitude.  So all the media stories about how he hates the media and is shy and doesn't like attention may, in fact, be wrong?
    Posted by SanCap[/QUOTE]
    If you listened to the media you would think Nomar ate babies. A large reason he is shy is that English is his second language.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Bosox Joe is correct, he is originally from Ontario and didn't learn English until he was in college. So, his being aloof with the media could be, and probably is, the result of his not being completely comfortable with the language and his shyness. He is very shy, but I like his story http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070730&content_id=2118847&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

He never played high school ball and only played for fun. He went to Norwalk Community College in Connecticut, where he excelled. By all accounts, this guy is a great teammate, very humble, and a nice guy. I think the media needs to stick it in their ear, especially Gerry Callahan. I dislike the guy as it is, nevermind the #$%^ that he wrote about Bedard this morning. Oh, by the way, his last name is pronounced "Bay-dar."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]Bedard talks the tlk, let's see if he can walk the walk.
    Posted by joyceand[/QUOTE]

No!  No walks, please.  Toss the toss, or pitch the pitch.  Anything but some walks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I loved his interview. He seems nothing like the press painted him to be. He seems very excited to be here, and, I believe, he'll fit in well. Could just be the press doesn't like him because he's wary of the press.

I also think it's funny to me how he bears a striking resemblence to Mark Wahlberg. Am I the only one who sees that? The line when he says "That's one" after saying he's only going to answer five questions when being interviewed in the past by the press also sounds like it could be Mark. lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

After I heard the 5 questions story, I loved the guy and couldnt wait for him to arrive...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Does anyone think that the Red Sox could sign him beyond this season?  I would imagine that if he is a reasonably good pitcher, he could be a great help to the Red Sox next season. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

Yikes!  I went to Norwalk Community College in the mid-70's.  We called it Norwalk Comedy College...but it was my bridge to NU in Boston.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone think that the Red Sox could sign him beyond this season?  I would imagine that if he is a reasonably good pitcher, he could be a great help to the Red Sox next season. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]
    Easy, he hasn't even thrown a pitch for them yet

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I could only imagine what Bedard was thinking last night with a big walk off hit in the ninth and the crowd going nuts at midnight. He seems all smiles and was one of the first guys to mug Ellsbury for the on field celebration. The big question is can he stay healthy. 10 stints on the DL. Although the last one was for his knee. If Bedard can prove healthy the rest of this year, the Sox might extend an incentive laden contract. But first, lets see what happens this year...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

This guy never fulfilled expectations in either Baltimore or Seattle. I hope things will be different here because in trading Chaing we gave up one of the best hitters in all the minor leagues.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE] This guy never fulfilled expectations in either Baltimore or Seattle. I hope things will be different here because in trading Chaing we gave up one of the best hitters in all the minor leagues.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]
    In this year's Futures Game, Chih-Hsien Chiang was World Team teammate of Seattle prospects James Paxton and Alex Liddi, as well as Francisco Martinez, a prospect the Mariners acquired in last weekend's trade of Doug Fister and David Pauley.

MLB.com ranked Martinez the eighth-best prospect traded at the deadline. Chiang was not ranked but Trayvon Robinson, who went to Mariners via the Red Sox, was ranked sixth:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110802&content_id=22669612&vkey=tradedeadline2011&c_id=mlb&tcid=tw_article_22669612