Bedard showing some class despite being squeezed especially in 1st inning

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifelongsoxdawg. Show lifelongsoxdawg's posts

Bedard showing some class despite being squeezed especially in 1st inning

The 2 runs in the 1st inning rests with TM and his inability to recognize pitches that were clearly strikes and the Amica strike zone supports my contension. More importantly, Bedard handled it with the upmost class and he deserves the Red Sox nation's support. So let's get behind him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Bedard showing some class despite being squeezed especially in 1st inning

Very True

If he wasn't squeezed it was 5 innings, 82-84 pitches and 1 run. Maybe he pitches the 6th.

Assuming that in the future he can finish the 6 with a 100-105 pitch count giving up 1 more run only... and that is a solid #4 starters work. 6-7 innings 1-3 runs against the likes of the Twins or the non-playoff contenders in the AL, 5-6 innings 2-4 runs against the contenders.

Thats all we want.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Our #3 starter (Lackey) has avg'd 6.1 innings his last 6 starts going 5-1 and allowing 3-5-4-1-4-0 earned runs. Solid stretch w/ an ERA in the low 4's.

Our #5 starter (Wake) has avg'd 6.2 innings his last 6 starts and given up only 3 earned runs in 5 of them. The one game he gave up over 3 was when we gave him 10 runs and Tito left him in an inning too long.

So if we get Bedard as the #4 starter doing what I described above we could be golden for the rest of the season if our top 2 do what they've done all year and the other 2 what they've done last 5-6 weeks.

I just worry that, as decent as our 3-5 guys are, and that any of them can be counted on for 1 solid playoff start in a game 4... we won't beat the Phillies unless we have a healthy/nasty Buchholz as our #3 guy.

knock on wood

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I felt so bad for him, but he handled it well. I can't imagine how he felt, being a new pitcher on the team, not knowing whether anyone else realized the calls were so bad. He's not listening to the broadcast, so it must have been tough while he was out there. I'm sure it didn't help that Ozzie was playing in the background for a part of that. :)

Glad he was able to bounce back, and pitch a good game. Ironically, I think it also helped get him some needed fan support. Alls well that ends well.

Look out for "McLellen" or whatever his name was in the playoffs. lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard showing some class despite being squeezed especially in 1st inning:
    [QUOTE]Our #3 starter (Lackey) has avg'd 6.1 innings his last 6 starts going 5-1 and allowing 3-5-4-1-4-0 earned runs. Solid stretch w/ an ERA in the low 4's. Our #5 starter (Wake) has avg'd 6.2 innings his last 6 starts and given up only 3 earned runs in 5 of them. The one game he gave up over 3 was when we gave him 10 runs and Tito left him in an inning too long. So if we get Bedard as the #4 starter doing what I described above we could be golden for the rest of the season if our top 2 do what they've done all year and the other 2 what they've done last 5-6 weeks. I just worry that, as decent as our 3-5 guys are, and that any of them can be counted on for 1 solid playoff start in a game 4... we won't beat the Phillies unless we have a healthy/nasty Buchholz as our #3 guy. knock on wood
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I think Bedard will eventually morph into the "#3".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

those were my first thoughts as well. from game thread later in day on mlb replay:

just watching the replay on mlb in the first and mcleland strke zone is a matchbox aand the reason for first run and for the 2 walks (and likely the hits cause you have to be down the middle to get a strike so far) (still in first with one out).
    anyone know why tek chosen to catch bedard. random?
      agree about what llooyd said, bedard a pretty strong disposition to be calm wiht all those bs walks.
      now 3 in 1st.
    cant imagine how far he would have pitched without this clown behind the plate.
      Bedard looking like a cool customer! anti-lackey.
    imagine what lackey would have done if he was in the same position?
    i cringe to consider.

funny reading his lips off the mound at end of the first. wow!
    i love this guy already.
    he got hosed on like 20 pitches and took it, and didnt lose it.
    and was humorous coming off the mound.
    dont think beckett would have even been that cool under that.

peace

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

"Glad he was able to bounce back, and pitch a good game. Ironically, I think it also helped get him some needed fan support. Alls well that ends well."

very perceptive point kim.

if that's the result, great!

i really began to like him watching him in this game (not that i ever disliked him).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

looks like a competitor too!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard showing some class despite being squeezed especially in 1st inning:
    [QUOTE]"Glad he was able to bounce back, and pitch a good game. Ironically, I think it also helped get him some needed fan support. Alls well that ends well." very perceptive point kim. if that's the result, great! i really began to like him watching him in this game (not that i ever disliked him).
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

I really began to like him after I heard about the five questions interview. That was hilarious.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

i didnt hear it. can you point me or link me?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]i didnt hear it. can you point me or link me?
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

He was once being interviewed by the media, prior to being on the Sox, and said he would only answer five questions (could be he wasn't treated kindly by them in the past). When a reporter asked him if he was serious, he said, "That's one".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

:) thanks kim.
    yes the media has really eaten him alive and local media memebers are on record of despising him. i've heard a lot of media members say some unnecessary uncaring, inhumane things about players in recent months, so i'm not greatly on their side (indviduals do vary). but if somneone is leary of th emedia because of how theyve been treated, thats no points against them froom my perspective. and
    a week or so ago a seattle reporter said bedard was much worse than lackey with his body language and that he didnt really like baseball at all. thats not the impression he gave to me since being here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

i think Bedard is just excited to be on a team that can score some runs, which allows him a little breathing room and a few more wins..baltimore and seattle couldnt do that..I could see him being a bit frustrated..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Remarkably cool under the circumstances ...  he was forced to throw almost 60 pitches in the first three innings.  That could have finished him if he didn't have the cool to get past poor calls.  I was sorta waiting for him to implode.

It's a great sign he didn't.

And I know I sound like I'm copying you ... but isn't imitation the highest form of praise?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Based on his track record, Bedard's personality seems a bit similar to Keith Foulke's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Let the race for the #3 spot begin:  Lackey vs. Bedard.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

ANOTHER GOOD SHOWING.... THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF !!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

It almost looked like the ump was on the take! I've been watching ballgames for over 55 years and have never seen such a poor strike zone. I would hope that there is a review from the head of officials and this ump is fined or suspended. He is either on the take or is incompetent. Either way, he needs to be removed!!!! Bedard did very well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

I can't recall ever watching an umpire with a narrower strike zone.  All four sides were squeezed.  I originally though maybe it was just a strange camera angle that was making me think balls were strikes.  But then they kept showing the Amica pitch zone and it confirmed the umpire was just in his own world.

The sad thing was, while there were some close or borderline pitches which could be fairly called either way, there were so many 'perfect' strikes that were just ignored.  That's got to be frustrating for a pitcher knowing they are dead on and the results are the opposite soley due to an umpire.

I know I would have probably snapped if I was in Bedard's place at some point in that first inning.  I'm amazed he kept cool.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Bedard showing some class despite being squeezed especially in 1st inning:
    [QUOTE]The 2 runs in the 1st inning rests with TM and his inability to recognize pitches that were clearly strikes and the Amica strike zone supports my contension. More importantly, Bedard handled it with the upmost class and he deserves the Red Sox nation's support. So let's get behind him.
    Posted by lifelongsoxdawg[/QUOTE]

I agree, the "Amica" clearly showed the ump was really making things difficult for Bedard.  Erik did an outstanding job not letting it get to him, then shutting down the Twin bats. 

A great win for the team! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good OP.  Peter Abraham wrote that the Sox generally respect last night's home plate umpire and therefore made no complaint.  Best of all, as you say, Bedard showed some class.  Good move, Theo. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffh102082. Show jeffh102082's posts

[QUOTE]Our #3 starter (Lackey) has avg'd 6.1 innings his last 6 starts going 5-1 and allowing 3-5-4-1-4-0 earned runs. Solid stretch w/ an ERA in the low 4's. Our #5 starter (Wake) has avg'd 6.2 innings his last 6 starts and given up only 3 earned runs in 5 of them. The one game he gave up over 3 was when we gave him 10 runs and Tito left him in an inning too long. So if we get Bedard as the #4 starter doing what I described above we could be golden for the rest of the season if our top 2 do what they've done all year and the other 2 what they've done last 5-6 weeks. I just worry that, as decent as our 3-5 guys are, and that any of them can be counted on for 1 solid playoff start in a game 4... we won't beat the Phillies unless we have a healthy/nasty Buchholz as our #3 guy. knock on wood
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Bedard had quite a few strikeouts last night and threw great pitches, Sucks we have no Buchholz but I think this Bedard thing is going to get better

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Couldn't agree more with the Bedard praise. That first inning was brutal ... even the Twins announcers were saying he was getting squeezed. But he never lost his cool (I kept wondering how Lackey would have handled it). And he adjusted ... he never walked another batter the rest of the game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

The night before according to that strike zone camera, the ump was calling pitches strikes that were out of the zone on both sides of the plate, and even high.  I wonder just how good the Amica is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]i didnt hear it. can you point me or link me?
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]brdbue...link from the Boston Herald article.....http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1355698&position=0