Bedard still the right choice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hortonhearzacup. Show hortonhearzacup's posts

Bedard still the right choice

I strongly believe that Bedard is still the right choice as far as the correct starting pitcher to trade for , he did not pitch real well last night but he still hit 94 on the gun so the stuff is there and out of the pitchers that will not cost you your entire farm system[ Jimenez]. i think that Bedard is by far the best available. Like with most pitchers available at this time of year there has to be something about them that makes there current team willing to get rid of them, due to the fact good pitching is so hard to find. Bedard has had some injury problems and is only signed through the rest of the year,but on the plus side his stuff is the type that translates into October and November baseball. His stats the last 3 years 245 Innings pitched , just 212 hits given up and 249 K's. that sounds like a very solid # 3 come playoff time and a great # 4 if Bucholz does return healthy and with his start last night the Mariners cannot expect much more that a couple of decent prospects.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Re: Bedard still the right choice

In Response to Re: Bedard still the right choice:
    not sure if we needed another thread about it but at least it was a very good post I agree, depending on costs i think he's the guy but wouldn't mind paying the extra for Jimenez for the long term
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Kind of a thoughtless picture after what happened to Irabu, don't you think?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hortonhearzacup. Show hortonhearzacup's posts

I agree that if they are unsure of Bucholz's future that Jimenez is the right choice. young,great stuff and controlled for a few more years at a reasonable price, but if Bucholz will be back strong I would love Bedard as the # 4 in October

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard still the right choice : Kind of a thoughtless picture after what happened to Irabu, don't you think?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

I did the pic B4 that

and as much as I feel for  him & his family

nothing happened to irabu

he did it to himself

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard still the right choice : I did the pic B4 that and as much as I feel for  him & his family nothing happened to irabu he did it to himself
    Posted by pinstripezac32

True but it's still kind of classless, that's all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

bedard is not the right choice. It makes no sense to trade for an injury prone pitcher to replace the one we already have. Bedard would add little to this team and we would not get draft pick compensation for him when he walks after this year. And ubaldo would not cost the entire farm system. The rockies are reportedly asking for ranaudo and middlebrooks. I would do that no problem. ranaudo is 22 and is in high A. Middlebrooks is good, but before this season was not even a top 20 prospect and is currently is AA. Not to mention that we have other good 3B prospects in chechinni, boegarts, etc. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

The rockies are reportedly asking for ranaudo and middlebrooks.

I know we all read that

but doesn't one have to asked themselves if that was true

why hasn't the deal been done already

you got to figure that's only part of what they want

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I agree with Bedard as the right choice.  The price must have gone down considerably, and really if Buchholz rebounds and winds up back in the rotation, Bedard becomes a 4th.  I wouldn't give up Reddick, but really there's no reason for Seattle to want to keep him at this point, so they would probably take an Anderson or a Lin.

I don't understand the passion for Jimenez.  His numbers are terrible this year, and aside from 3 months has been a very mediocre pitcher in his career.  He's not that young (at 27 he is what he is), and we don't need a long-term solution; just something to bridge the gap until Buchholz is healthy again.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard still the right choice : You didn't really expect any better from a yankme fan, did you?
    Posted by davetheknave

Pinstripezac has been around here a long time.

We like him alot.

He's funny, intelligent and gracious.

There is no need to be confrontaional to this type poster just because his team of choice is one you and I both dislike.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

thanks much, zill

but no worries

the same ______ called out danny cater

today in a new thread

nuff said

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard still the right choice : Pinstripezac has been around here a long time. We like him alot. He's funny, intelligent and gracious. There is no need to be confrontaional to this type poster just because his team of choice is one you and I both dislike.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

He's kind of a Yankee homer...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hortonhearzacup. Show hortonhearzacup's posts

bedard is not the right choice. It makes no sense to trade for an injury prone pitcher to replace the one we already have. Bedard would add little to this team and we would not get draft pick compensation for him when he walks after this year. And ubaldo would not cost the entire farm system. The rockies are reportedly asking for ranaudo and middlebrooks. I would do that no problem. ranaudo is 22 and is in high A. Middlebrooks is good, but before this season was not even a top 20 prospect and is currently is AA. Not to mention that we have other good 3B prospects in chechinni, boegarts, etc. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

I agree that it would not cost the entire farm system as trading about 120 players for 1 would never workout, the point I was making was that Ranaudo and Middlebrooks are currently our #1 and 3 prospects so in non-literal terms that is what i meant by trading the entire farm system. I do agree that Bedard is a risk that is why he would be alot cheaper than Jimenez who also is a risk since he has a 12-15 record in his last 38 starts and has lost a few MPH's on his fastball and if you watch his delivery he is certainly a possible canidate for arm troubles 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Anybody think Bedard will pitch better than Wake did yesterday in any of his next starts?  Or pitch more consistently than Wake has?   

I don't.    If you want to win you have to have the players, Dice-K and Buck both out means we need a quality starter, not a guy who stunk after coming back ... he had wicked control problems, we already have Miller for that.

If they can't get a qualtiy starter then they might as well go all in for a RH bat.  They will need it come playoff time.  No more experiments.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Posted by redsoxpride34

Like Harden?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I prefer Harden to Bedard anyway.  Bedard is supposed to be hampered as much by his mental makeup as his physical frailness.  Harden has great stuff when he is healthy.  He is an upgrade over Andrew Miller, no doubt.  I will object if he takes Wakes place in the rotation and Miller is still sent out there.  The heat of a pennant race is not the place to try and get Miller back on a track he has never ridden before.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Harden is capable of being a solid #3. He looked good the other day. I'm hoping for the best but can't believe we got him for Anderson. That PTNL is probably conditional. If Harden does well that PTNL might be a decent prospect.

I like this trade! As well as the Avila deal. It wouldn't bother me at all if we added Bedard also....if he was available as cheap as these 2 guys.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I prefer Harden to Bedard anyway.  Bedard is supposed to be hampered as much by his mental makeup as his physical frailness.  Harden has great stuff when he is healthy.  He is an upgrade over Andrew Miller, no doubt.  I will object if he takes Wakes place in the rotation and Miller is still sent out there.  The heat of a pennant race is not the place to try and get Miller back on a track he has never ridden before.
    Posted by parhunter1

How would you feel if NY got Bedard?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd feel happy it was him and not Shields, or Guthrie, or Garza, or...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Man, it's tough to get good starting pitching right now. Teams like NY and Boston must be offering the farm for some top guys. Guys like Felix...etc. NY is probably working such a mega deal right now, trying their best to make that happen somehow. They are not biting on the lesser options so far.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

To me, even if Harden or Bedard don't look ideal in terms of health or performance, if the cost is Anderson or similar type players do it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Harness, I'm not sure if you are implying the Sox should get Bedard just to keep him away from NY, but I'm not one who thinks that way.  Moon said it for me, at least the Yankees haven't landed a real upgrade yet.

I remember LaRussa saying Renteria did not have the makeup to do well in the spotlight of Boston.  Now some have said Bedard would not do well in that kind of spotlight.  And I remember reading a few years back that his devotion to the games was questionable.  And still I wanted the Sox to try and get him.  At this point, I think that time has passed.  I am wary of his ability to produce for the Sox or the Yanks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Harness, I'm not sure if you are implying the Sox should get Bedard just to keep him away from NY, but I'm not one who thinks that way.  Moon said it for me, at least the Yankees haven't landed a real upgrade yet. I remember LaRussa saying Renteria did not have the makeup to do well in the spotlight of Boston.  Now some have said Bedard would not do well in that kind of spotlight.  And I remember reading a few years back that his devotion to the games was questionable.  And still I wanted the Sox to try and get him.  At this point, I think that time has passed.  I am wary of his ability to produce for the Sox or the Yanks.
    Posted by parhunter1

By getting Bedard, you automatically keep a quality lefty out of NY. It's a win-win.
    I don't buy into the deer-in-headlights hyperbole. Beddard has played for garbage teams and still has a good W/L record, etc. He's never been in the PO spot light, so how does anybody know how he'll react?

His health is the big question, and the risk is worth it - at the right price.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

only take a look at bedard if he comes real cheap (maybe anderson?)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

For you guys that keep throwing out Anderson for Bedard, it makes no sense for Seattle.  They have Justin Smoak.   Why would they want Anderson??

Sections
Shortcuts