Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’

Boston Herald
    CHICAGO — With the Red Sox, among many other teams, poised to scout Erik Bedard tonight in Seattle, former Baltimore Orioles executive Jim Duquette has some advice for Theo Epstein.

Be careful.

“He’s not a ’spotlight’ guy,” Duquette said of Bedard. “And he’s not reliable from a health standpoint — as we’ve seen. Caveat Emptor.”

Bedard (AP photo) will be making his return from a one-month stay on the disabled list with a knee injury to pitch against the Tampa Bay Rays. He’s 4-6 with a 3.00 ERA and has logged 90 innings over 15 starts for the Mariners this season. He had his two best — and healthiest — seasons with the Orioles, winning 15 games in 2006 and 13 games in 2007. Overall, he was 40-34 with a 3.83 ERA in five seasons with Baltimore.

But Duquette, the Orioles’ vice president of baseball operations from 2006-08, said Bedard’s injury history should be a red flag to the Red Sox, who are seeking to bolster their rotation because Clay Buchholz is recovering far more slowly than expected from a strained lower back muscle. Duquette noted that Bedard hasn’t made a start in August or September since the 2007 season. In fact, he always seems to get injured in July, shortly before the trade deadline. And his name has come up in trade rumors in previous seasons.

“To me, it’s a sign he doesn’t want to be traded,” Duquette said. “I don’t know how he fills that void (for the Red Sox) right now. Even if he’s healthy tonight, I would still have some questions.”

Duquette also said Bedard lacks the makeup to be successful in a big market.

“He doesn’t like the attention,” said Duquette, now an analyst for MLB Network. “When he’s the guy, he doesn’t succeed. And I always thought, because he didn’t want to be the guy, that it would hold him back. I thought he’d be a real solid No. 3 (starter), maybe in a small market. But it would concern me going into a big market. After I left the Orioles, I even tried to dissuade a couple of big-market clubs that were interested in him.

“If the price tag was inexpensive enough, it’s something you might consider. But you have to do your homework.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

Re: Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’

yea cuz there are so many reasons to listen to an ORIOLES executive

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Re: Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’

The Orioles don't know much.  The Sox are taking a chance for depth.  I can't wait for the haters to proclaim this a "bust".  That should start right...about...now...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

I'd agree Bedard will do nothing but implode with the Sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’:
    Boston Herald CHICAGO — With the Red Sox, among many other teams, poised to scout Erik Bedard tonight in Seattle, former Baltimore Orioles executive Jim Duquette has some advice for Theo Epstein . Be careful. “He’s not a ’spotlight’ guy,” Duquette said of Bedard. “And he’s not reliable from a health standpoint — as we’ve seen. Caveat Emptor.” Bedard (AP photo) will be making his return from a one-month stay on the disabled list with a knee injury to pitch against the Tampa Bay Rays. He’s 4-6 with a 3.00 ERA and has logged 90 innings over 15 starts for the Mariners this season. He had his two best — and healthiest — seasons with the Orioles, winning 15 games in 2006 and 13 games in 2007. Overall, he was 40-34 with a 3.83 ERA in five seasons with Baltimore. But Duquette, the Orioles’ vice president of baseball operations from 2006-08, said Bedard’s injury history should be a red flag to the Red Sox, who are seeking to bolster their rotation because Clay Buchholz is recovering far more slowly than expected from a strained lower back muscle. Duquette noted that Bedard hasn’t made a start in August or September since the 2007 season. In fact, he always seems to get injured in July, shortly before the trade deadline. And his name has come up in trade rumors in previous seasons. “To me, it’s a sign he doesn’t want to be traded,” Duquette said. “I don’t know how he fills that void (for the Red Sox) right now. Even if he’s healthy tonight, I would still have some questions.” Duquette also said Bedard lacks the makeup to be successful in a big market. “He doesn’t like the attention,” said Duquette, now an analyst for MLB Network. “When he’s the guy, he doesn’t succeed. And I always thought, because he didn’t want to be the guy, that it would hold him back. I thought he’d be a real solid No. 3 (starter), maybe in a small market. But it would concern me going into a big market. After I left the Orioles, I even tried to dissuade a couple of big-market clubs that were interested in him. “If the price tag was inexpensive enough, it’s something you might consider. But you have to do your homework.”
    Posted by Jete02fann

It was a risk worth taking, at the very least he's a two month rental and Fed was behind Lavarnway anyway.  Miller scares, but still intrigues me.  I really hope he can learn to spot pitches better while keeping the walks down because he does have some good stuff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

4-7   3.45  era       91.1 innings   88 K's for Bedard..

but Sox think Bucholz is done for the year..

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Comments from a former O's executive is nothing but crap. 
    Bedard is a fine addition to the Red Sox. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

I don't like the idea of a long term deal with him or relying on him well into the future, but for two months with the stuff he has? It's worth a gamble.  In a way Bedard is kind of your ideal rental.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The OP was posted two days ago on another thread. Many other sources spoke of the risks. Nothing new here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Bedard's 1st start could come Friday night at Fenway against the Yankees.. would be Miller's next start.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

we didn't trade a lot for depth, I'm fine with that. All he has to do is be decent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

He may have matured and is no longer a punk. But Bedard's first time in front of multiple reporters when the Orioles played at New York according to a story by Jack Ford went like this.

Bedard to about 8 reporters:  "Four Questions"

Reporter:  "What?"

Bedard:  "That's one!"

He is not made for the Philly, New York or certainly Boston spotlight unless he has had a complete personality turnaround, and NO ONE is saying that he has from what I have read from former teammates or scouts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We did not give up any of our top prospects.  Chiang is putting up big numbers at Portland, but he is a left handed hitting outfielder. We seem well stocked in that department. Rodriguez could be the sleeper. He has 88 strikeouts in just 59 innings in A Ball. Control has been his biggest problem, but obviously he has a very live arm. It seems like a lot to give up for a pitcher with some question marks. Hopefully, Bedard will be worth it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’:
    He may have matured and is no longer a punk. But Bedard's first time in front of multiple reporters when the Orioles played at New York according to a story by Jack Ford went like this. Bedard to about 8 reporters:  "Four Questions" Reporter:  "What?" Bedard:  "That's one!" He is not made for the Philly, New York or certainly Boston spotlight unless he has had a complete personality turnaround, and NO ONE is saying that he has from what I have read from former teammates or scouts.
    Posted by Celtics1986

At least he has a sense of humor. That will come in handy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’:
    He may have matured and is no longer a punk. But Bedard's first time in front of multiple reporters when the Orioles played at New York according to a story by Jack Ford went like this. Bedard to about 8 reporters:  "Four Questions" Reporter:  "What?" Bedard:  "That's one!" He is not made for the Philly, New York or certainly Boston spotlight unless he has had a complete personality turnaround, and NO ONE is saying that he has from what I have read from former teammates or scouts.
    Posted by Celtics1986

Another alias / moniker of Frank, from Gloucester. Save your energy to phone WEEI tomorrow, Frankie.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

We did not give up any of our top prospects.  Chiang is putting up big numbers at Portland, but he is a left handed hitting outfielder. We seem well stocked in that department. Rodriguez could be the sleeper. He has 88 strikeouts in just 59 innings in A Ball. Control has been his biggest problem, but obviously he has a very live arm. It seems like a lot to give up for a pitcher with some question marks. Hopefully, Bedard will be worth it.
    Posted by dgalehouse

The exact specifics of the trade are spelled out here.
    http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110731&content_id=22559672&vkey=news_bos&c_id=bos

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Statements from a former O's exectutive, posted by a Yankees fan. Super-duper, ultra, maxi reliable thread! I also do not beleive Bucholz is done for the year. Where have the Red Sox said that?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

In Response to Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’:
    Boston Herald CHICAGO — With the Red Sox, among many other teams, poised to scout Erik Bedard tonight in Seattle, former Baltimore Orioles executive Jim Duquette has some advice for Theo Epstein . Be careful. “He’s not a ’spotlight’ guy,” Duquette said of Bedard. “And he’s not reliable from a health standpoint — as we’ve seen. Caveat Emptor.” Bedard (AP photo) will be making his return from a one-month stay on the disabled list with a knee injury to pitch against the Tampa Bay Rays. He’s 4-6 with a 3.00 ERA and has logged 90 innings over 15 starts for the Mariners this season. He had his two best — and healthiest — seasons with the Orioles, winning 15 games in 2006 and 13 games in 2007. Overall, he was 40-34 with a 3.83 ERA in five seasons with Baltimore. But Duquette, the Orioles’ vice president of baseball operations from 2006-08, said Bedard’s injury history should be a red flag to the Red Sox, who are seeking to bolster their rotation because Clay Buchholz is recovering far more slowly than expected from a strained lower back muscle. Duquette noted that Bedard hasn’t made a start in August or September since the 2007 season. In fact, he always seems to get injured in July, shortly before the trade deadline. And his name has come up in trade rumors in previous seasons. “To me, it’s a sign he doesn’t want to be traded,” Duquette said. “I don’t know how he fills that void (for the Red Sox) right now. Even if he’s healthy tonight, I would still have some questions.” Duquette also said Bedard lacks the makeup to be successful in a big market. “He doesn’t like the attention,” said Duquette, now an analyst for MLB Network. “When he’s the guy, he doesn’t succeed. And I always thought, because he didn’t want to be the guy, that it would hold him back. I thought he’d be a real solid No. 3 (starter), maybe in a small market. But it would concern me going into a big market. After I left the Orioles, I even tried to dissuade a couple of big-market clubs that were interested in him. “If the price tag was inexpensive enough, it’s something you might consider. But you have to do your homework.”
    Posted by Jete02fann

Yes based on this opinoin we should do what? You think the sox dont already know this? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Boston Herald
    CHICAGO — With the Red Sox, among many other teams, poised to scout Erik Bedard tonight in Seattle, former Baltimore Orioles executive Jim Duquette has some advice for Theo Epstein.

Be careful.

“He’s not a ’spotlight’ guy,” Duquette said of Bedard. “And he’s not reliable from a health standpoint — as we’ve seen. Caveat Emptor.”

Bedard (AP photo) will be making his return from a one-month stay on the disabled list with a knee injury to pitch against the Tampa Bay Rays. He’s 4-6 with a 3.00 ERA and has logged 90 innings over 15 starts for the Mariners this season. He had his two best — and healthiest — seasons with the Orioles, winning 15 games in 2006 and 13 games in 2007. Overall, he was 40-34 with a 3.83 ERA in five seasons with Baltimore.

But Duquette, the Orioles’ vice president of baseball operations from 2006-08, said Bedard’s injury history should be a red flag to the Red Sox, who are seeking to bolster their rotation because Clay Buchholzis recovering far more slowly than expected from a strained lower back muscle. Duquette noted that Bedard hasn’t made a start in August or September since the 2007 season. In fact, he always seems to get injured in July, shortly before the trade deadline. And his name has come up in trade rumors in previous seasons.

“To me, it’s a sign he doesn’t want to be traded,”Duquette said. “I don’t know how he fills that void (for the Red Sox) right now. Even if he’s healthy tonight, I would still have some questions.”

Duquette also said Bedard lacks the makeup to be successful in a big market.

“He doesn’t like the attention,” said Duquette, now an analyst for MLB Network. “When he’s the guy, he doesn’t succeed. And I always thought, because he didn’t want to be the guy, that it would hold him back. I thought he’d be a real solid No. 3 (starter), maybe in a small market. But it would concern me going into a big market. After I left the Orioles, I even tried to dissuade a couple of big-market clubs that were interested in him.

“If the price tag was inexpensive enough, it’s something you might consider. But you have to do your homework.”

Wow!  Duquette sounds like a true narcissist A----HOLE!

What DECENT human being tries to talk other teams out of giving a kid a shot???
    SERIOUSLY!!!???  Who in their right mind does that???

Really sounds like Duquette is trying to overstate his own relevance!  Which is ZERO!!!!!   NO!  Scratch that....  It's relevant that Duquette helped the O's produce losing teams, & he's looking to BLAME ANYONE BUT HIMSELF!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Bunk. I saw the guy pitch a while back in Seattle, he was on that night. I remember thinking I hope the sox don't face this guy when he's on. He's got hot stuff. His injuries are behind him. He is pitching for a contract in a very short period of time. I'd say the cards are aligned for him and the sox.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxWacko. Show RedSoxWacko's posts

Had to take the chance on Bedard, we need another starter...not much out to choose from. I would rather take this deal than overpay grossly for Jimenez...like the Indians did.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Bunk. I saw the guy pitch a while back in Seattle, he was on that night. I remember thinking I hope the sox don't face this guy when he's on. He's got hot stuff. His injuries are behind him. He is pitching for a contract in a very short period of time. I'd say the cards are aligned for him and the sox.  
    Posted by proftom

You'ed think the Sox just signed Cliff Lee.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Considering his injury and recent stats I don't see Bedard as an upgrade over Miller & Wake.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan1967. Show soxfan1967's posts

Basically we need 5-7 good starts from Bedard and a few to keep us close starts. As long as Bedard gets us 6 innings every thime out we are better off than Dice-K who has been kicked off the island.   When it comes to the playoffs the #4 spot should be the hot hand.  Wake, Miller, or Bedard. 

Sections
Shortcuts