Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskerr. Show dskerr's posts

Re: Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’

4 prospects for an underachieving injury prone pitcher??  Even if the prospects are not top notch, it still depliets the minors...terrible trade....would have been better off to stay put.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’

In Response to Re: Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’:
    [QUOTE]Bunk. I saw the guy pitch a while back in Seattle, he was on that night. I remember thinking I hope the sox don't face this guy when he's on. He's got hot stuff. His injuries are behind him. He is pitching for a contract in a very short period of time. I'd say the cards are aligned for him and the sox.  
    Posted by proftom[/QUOTE]

AGREE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Had to do something. In fact, I wish a trade like this one happened a little sooner. It feels like just yesterday when the Orioles traded him To Seattle for Jones. It's worth the risk. Dskerr? Stay put and what?... Bedard has definetely got some up-side. Duequtte talking like the O's and the M's like they are ever the spotlight. FUnny.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From the Seattle blog Lookout Landing:

There will be jokes about how Bedard is too soft for the Boston environment. There will be matter-of-fact declarations that Bedard is too soft for the Boston environment. With that in mind, this Bedard interview from 2007 is interesting:

Q: Most fun city in baseball?

A: Boston. I love the stadium and the city. It's not overwhelming like New York.

Bedard may succeed in Boston. He may not. He will be criticized if he falters. But he has the ability to do great things, and if he does great things in the playoffs, he could be a legend. We've all seen how good he can be.

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Too much to pay, IMO.  The starting C for Portland, their best hitter, and their most successful pitcher.  Think their playoff hopes just dimmed?  I would rather have seen the Harden deal go through with Anderson and a second prospect (PTBNL).  To me that was a better deal for just as good a pitcher.

I am concerned about what this deal tells us about the Buchholz situation.  Sox held off putting him on the 60-day until deadline was past, to hide their hand.  I know that this is probably retroactive 30 days or so, but it means no chance until September he returns.  Still, if we can believe what has been reported so far, three different doctors have found no structural damage.  My chiropractor found a bulging disc in one set of x-rays on my first visit, so I find all the previous reports interesting in light of all the concern and 60 day DL reported today.

Here is hoping to god that Bedard can stay healthy through October.  Now, who is out, Wakefield or Miller?  I think Miller deserves another start after today, but Wakefield's start on Friday was an even better effort,IMO.  My vote is for Wake to stay in the rotation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It was a great signing and we also got a very high upside pitching prospect in Fields, who has a very similar profile to Andrew Miller. Started out in AA ball. We really have 2 potential starters out of this deal, one of which we have some long term control over. It's another Bard project, who also started badly in the minors. Fields is a project but he has a great arm.

Fields is at least roughly equivalent to a Chiang so we really got Bedard for Fedex, Fife and a low A guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

The one thing I really do like about this trade is that it keeps Aceves in the bullpen as the long man.  He is the best in the AL, if not the majors, in that role.  Glad he can stay there.  With Bedard, Lackey and Miller or Wake in the rotation, Aceves will be pivotal for the Sox to stay in the hunt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard to Sox-Big Mistake!-Former Orioles executive on Erik Bedard: ‘Buyer beware’:
    [QUOTE]It was a great signing and we also got a very high upside pitching prospect in Fields, who has a very similar profile to Andrew Miller. Started out in AA ball. We really have 2 potential starters out of this deal, one of which we have some long term control over. It's another Bard project, who also started badly in the minors. Fields is a project but he has a great arm. Fields is at least roughly equivalent to a Chiang so we really got Bedard for Fedex, Fife and a low A guy.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]
    It was a good trade for the Red Sox and the Mariners because each team traded from organizational depth to address specific needs.

However, I would be hard-pressed to equate the value of nearly 26-year-old reliever Josh Fields with the value of 23-year-old Chih-Hsien Chiang.

Josh Fields failed to merit a mention in Baseball America's 2011 write-up on Seattle prospects or in prospect analysts John Sickels' assessment of the Seattle farm system:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2611021.html

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/1/4/1913127/seattle-mariners-top-20-prospects-for-2011

Fields has averaged 7.4 walks per 9 innings in his struggles this season while Chiang has posted stellar numbers enroute to an appearance in the Futures Game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Seems like a good, cheap move for the Sox. Miller makes me nervous. Too bad, it's easy to see that his upside is huge...but so was Obama's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

"Caveat emptor" - or should I say "Caveat empty" - should apply to everything that Jim Duquette says about baseball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

From where I sit the Sox gave up only players who might have been chips to offer in other possible trades, no one they gave up would have much of a chance of cracking the Red Sox starting nine at any point in the future.
    Based on Bedard's numbers so far this year he's a solid #3.
    What are his career numbers vs the Yankees in the Bronx?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think the bedard move is going to be a real good one with one condition....if he stays healthy....and that is not his history. But I dont put too much weight in what Duquette says....you cant judge if a pitcher is good in a big spot unless he is with a winning organization with a winning attitude.....especially when your team can hit like the Sox can.....there is a lot less pressure on a pitcher even in big games when he knows most likely his team will get him some runs....not a feeling he would have felt in Baltimore or Seattle.

Sections
Shortcuts