Been out of pocket............

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Been out of pocket............

.....for the last ten days. On vacation. Looks like I missed nothing which doesn't surprise me. Gentle Ben has done nothing but at least BV has his coaching staff lined up.
    Anyway, hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Been out of pocket............

I'm sure Gentle Ben would like to have done more by now, but there's this little problem when the guys who set the budget and sign your cheques tell you you've only got a few million to play with.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

You have been out of your pockets for a change or don't your trousers have pockets?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Can you say....handcuffed.........thanks theo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Been out of pocket............": [QUOTE]Can you say....handcuffed.........thanks theo Posted by never1954[/QUOTE] The Sox aren't handcuffed...they will go over the cap for a deal that makes sense. Most agree that there hasn't been a free agent "deal" that they "missed out" on this off season...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Been out of pocket............:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure Gentle Ben would like to have done more by now, but there's this little problem when the guys who set the budget and sign your cheques tell you you've only got a few million to play with.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Some creativity is in order here. Like dumping some players like Youk and Scut. Obviously, there is no "free" money, but trades are possible.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Been out of pocket............ : Some creativity is in order here. Like dumping some players like Youk and Scut. Obviously, there is no "free" money, but trades are possible.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

OK, I will bit Ike.  Lets get creative.  Tell me, if you, the ever-judgemental Alibiike, were in Cherrington's shoes, how, specifically would you get "creative" with these guys.  And, this better be good because I myself am out-of-pocket on vacation.  Please don't waste my precious poolside time with ludicrous trade scenarios that wouldn't even fly in a bad fantasy baseball league:  a couple good options that do not handcuff the Sox roster/farm, get good return, and that another team would actually bite on.  Let her rip.  I will blend up a batch of something frozen and strong and check back shortly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ben will get his chance to spend money in years to come.....I like his patience.  The fact that he is not freaking out and spending way over budget shows that he thinks about the long term picture (I HOPE) 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

it would be understandable for Cherrington to overreact and panic after September. Patience is a virtue that may pay off before the off season is on.

Enjoy your vaca Space.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Been out of pocket............ : OK, I will bit Ike.  Lets get creative.  Tell me, if you, the ever-judgemental Alibiike, were in Cherrington's shoes, how, specifically would you get "creative" with these guys.  And, this better be good because I myself am out-of-pocket on vacation.  Please don't waste my precious poolside time with ludicrous trade scenarios that wouldn't even fly in a bad fantasy baseball league:  a couple good options that do not handcuff the Sox roster/farm, get good return, and that another team would actually bite on.  Let her rip.  I will blend up a batch of something frozen and strong and check back shortly.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Without really knowing the other teams' needs, I would say that we could trade Youk for a couple of prospects and BP relief in order to free up some cash for a solid #3/4 starter. Scut could allow us to get a RH bat for RF...Andruw Jones?

I'm going to have to have some time to research other team needs in order to give you more details.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Been out of pocket............ : Some creativity is in order here. Like dumping some players like Youk and Scut. Obviously, there is no "free" money, but trades are possible.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]  THATS A  B I N G O !!!!.......  PLAY THE KID'S, MAKE A BLOCKBUSTER, "TRANSFORM THAT TEAM".......  BECKETT MUST GO !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I agree on Youk, not so much Scut.  The trade I'd like to make is Youk for Floyd.  I think the contributions from each would be similar, and it would free up badly needed cash.

I'm also not convinced that we need to stay under this year.  It would be a whole lot easier to stay under in 2013 when we lose Papi, Dice, Jenks, Scut, and maybe Youk.  Reset next year rather than this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Been out of pocket............:
    [QUOTE].....for the last ten days. On vacation. Looks like I missed nothing which doesn't surprise me. Gentle Ben has done nothing but at least BV has his coaching staff lined up. Anyway, hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!

And welcome back and merry Christmas.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

[QUOTE]Can you say....handcuffed.........thanks theo
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]
    Don't just Thank Theo ... John Henry and Larry Lucchino approve all deals before they are approved. They all knew what they were getting into and they will all have to get themselves out of this.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Been out of pocket............ : I agree on Youk, not so much Scut.  The trade I'd like to make is Youk for Floyd.  I think the contributions from each would be similar, and it would free up badly needed cash. I'm also not convinced that we need to stay under this year.  It would be a whole lot easier to stay under in 2013 when we lose Papi, Dice, Jenks, Scut, and maybe Youk.  Reset next year rather than this year.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

With the acquisition of Punto, and if we hold onto Aviles, we could afford to let Scutaro go. That's another 6M we could use to beef up the rotation or the pen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Been out of pocket............ : With the acquisition of Punto, and if we hold onto Aviles, we could afford to let Scutaro go. That's another 6M we could use to beef up the rotation or the pen.

It could be.  I wouldn't be comfortable, but sometimes uncomfortable is the best l/t plan.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Welcome back Alibiike, and Happy New Year!
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Same to you and yours.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Been out of pocket............ : And welcome back and merry Christmas.

Thanks JB!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Been out of pocket............ : It could be.  I wouldn't be comfortable, but sometimes uncomfortable is the best l/t plan.

Scut's Sep numbers were an anomoly IMO, I don't think that will carry over and he is, after all, 35.
    He is servicable but not an big impact if we lose him. I was a proponent of Iglesias as the starting SS but now that he has not made the top 25 prospects, I've changed my mind. If youk is traded, perhaps Middlebrooks could be given a shot. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

First time that I ever heard someone use the phrase "Out of pocket"

: OUT OF POCKET - "Used in the Southwest for 'absent, unavailable.' 'I'll be out of pocket awhile, but I'll call you as soon as I can." : : : : : In the UK 'out of pocket' means that you have paid out for something and not had an equivalent return, such as paying for business expenses and your boss not giving back to you what you actually paid out.

: : : : An equivalent UK phrase for not feeling or functioning up to par would be "out of sorts". As has been mentioned above, over here, "out of pocket" exclusively refers to having been left at a financial disadvantage.

: : : ... around 1974 "out of pocket" also started being used to mean "out of touch" or "unavailable." No one seems to know exactly why this sense arose or what the "pocket" in this case might be. Personally, I suspect that it's a bad translation of some French phrase. In any case, this sense of "out of pocket" is not, as far as I can tell, widely used. A more common phrase meaning the same thing is "out of the loop," which first appeared around 1983 and is probably rooted in computer terminology.
    : : : From The Word Detective (Jan 20, 2000)

: : : ... *out of pocket* has come to mean 'unreachable, absent, unavailable'. Lurking on the Internet discussion group "alt.usage.english," I'm convinced that this "newer" meaning is at least 25 years old, originally not too common, but now increasingly used over a wide area. In fact the *Dictionary of American Regional English* promises *out of pocket* as a "coming attraction" in the forthcoming Volume IV. Their draft entry is labeled "Chiefly South and South Midland," a regional distribution that includes southern states (such as Georgia and Alabama), and states just above this region (such as Tennessee and Kentucky). However, I would add that *out of pocket* is also used in Hawaii (thank you!), on the West Coast, in the Midwest and West (especially in Texas), and even in the Northeast (such as in the financial districts of New York City). ...
    : : : The phrase *out of pocket* also means 'out of place; out of order', and often describes unacceptable behavior or situations. This meaning has its roots in Black English of the 1940s, and refers to the pockets on a pool table. An example from a recent edition of *The Los Angeles Times*: "Any outsider who would attempt to engage in that conversation would be out of pocket."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

nice history lesson. I thought everyone knew what that meant though.
    Now I see that you are responding to everyone of my posts with that reference.
    Is that my knew screen name?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

LOL.
    The phrase *out of pocket* also means 'out of place; out of order', and often describes unacceptable behavior or situations.

Example:
    Georom and Burrito blaming the September collapse on Beckett is "out of pocket".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]LOL. The phrase *out of pocket* also means 'out of place; out of order', and often describes unacceptable behavior or situations. Example: Georom and Burrito blaming the September collapse on Beckett is "out of pocket".
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

You know what I meant though, unless that is how you feel about my posts. They are more Out of Box than Out of Pocket....could be considered unconventional I suppose though, so I accept that.

Sections
Shortcuts