Beginning OR End of 2013 starts with Dempster and Lackey!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Beginning OR End of 2013 starts with Dempster and Lackey!

I'm pretty confident in Lester, Bush, & Doubie.

We either get on a roll with Lackey & Dempster, or CRASH AND BURN in yet another chapter in a potentially EPIC failure.

I absolutely love the potential of the rest of this team!  I think our D as presently constituted is one of the best in the mlb.  Our BP should be one of the best.  We've got more than enough fire-power for plenty of run support......  Farrell will run a very tight ship.  We've got plenty of speed to burn....

This season comes down to these two guys.  They either step up & lead this team to potential "greatnes" (OK.... relative "greatness....  as in having a "great" season.  Exciting.....  Fun to rally behind..... etc....  Great guys to root for...)

OR.....

They simply don't have it anymore.....  & the sox languish.  Crash & burn...  start a new chapter in an epic collapse!

I think it all comes down to this!  I still have a great deal of hope for both guys, but if it seems clear they can't deliver, I PRAY this FO has the guts to call on some of our up and coming starts from AAA!  Who knows, that could add a whole new level of excitement.    Let's hope we don't have to become "thrill seekers."

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Beginning OR End of 2013 starts with Dempster and Lackey!

really? our season starts and ends with the back of our rotation? thats news to me.

They are important, but I dont think the season lies in whether they do well or not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

really? our season starts and ends with the back of our rotation? thats news to me.

They are important, but I dont think the season lies in whether they do well or not.

Maybe, but overall, I think the season rests with the rotation, as it has for several seasons now.  We need 140+ starts with an ERA of about 4.25 from our rotation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

If they're dropping 2 out of every 5 games for you, it sure as hell does!  If they're getting routinely knocked out of games early, giving up early leads, it sure as hell does.  It can be a BP killer!!!  It also puts a great deal of pressure on the front of your rotation, as it means they must be perfect every start, which is not gonna happen.  If 40% of your rotation maintains a 6.00+ ERA, your club is going nowhere...  You never can get on a roll......

This was the point of my OP.  Not saying it's going to happen, but that was my point.  Of course the top of your rotation is the most important factor, but conversely.....  the bottom can either make or break a season.  I'm not saying you have to LOVE the premise, but it certainly has a good deal of validity.

Just a different take????

:)  

p.s.  I think Lester and Dempster will step up, but it might not happen overnight.  Could be some rough sledding to start out the season????  I hope not!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

First, Doubrant has been pretty good so far tonight, but I need to see him to it over a stretch. I'm actually more confident in Dempster and Lackey than Felix.

But even if Felix is fine, you're premise that the season depends on two starters if flawed IMO. Playoff teams often have problems at the back end.

If the Sox got this out of the rotation:

18-8
    17-10
    15-12
    10-13
    9-12

That's 69-45, that's going to be pretty good.

And as I write this, the Jays are starting to hit Felix. Like I said, I'm more concerned about him than the other two. He'll have some great innings but isn't consistent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

First, Doubrant has been pretty good so far tonight, but I need to see him to it over a stretch. I'm actually more confident in Dempster and Lackey than Felix.

But even if Felix is fine, you're premise that the season depends on two starters if flawed IMO. Playoff teams often have problems at the back end.

18-8
    17-10
    15-12
    10-13
    9-12

And as I write this, the Jays are starting to hit Felix. Like I said, I'm more concerned about him than the other two. He'll have some great innings but isn't consistent.

WOW!!!!

No shi___ roy....  I actually have the exact same breakdown of the SR written down.  I completely agree.  I hope to heck we're right!  My point is, if we're wrong????//  It could be a looooong....   season.

For the record...  I think it's going to be a very special season.

With those 68 - 70 SR wins...   add 18 - 20 BP + spot start wins....  = 88 - 90 WINS  :)

That's my story  I'm sticking to it :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

18-8
    17-10
    15-12
    10-13
    9-12

WOW!!!!

No shi___ roy....  I actually have the exact same breakdown of the SR written down.  I completely agree.  I hope to heck we're right!  My point is, if we're wrong????//  It could be a looooong....   season.

With those 68 - 70 SR wins...   add 18 - 20 BP + spot start wins....  = 88 - 90 WINS  :)

You want your top two to be great and No. 3 to be decent. Then as long as four and 5 aren't terrible (6-20, 5.89 ERA combined), you should be in the hunt. Then it comes down to bullpen and spot starters.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

18-8
    17-10
    15-12
    10-13
    9-12

WOW!!!!

You want your top two to be great and No. 3 to be decent. Then as long as four and 5 aren't terrible (6-20, 5.89 ERA combined), you should be in the hunt. Then it comes down to bullpen and spot starters.

Totally agree!   BUT.....  If they're as bad as many here think they very well could be, it's the beginning of the END.

COULD Lackey be that bad....  again???  I hope to hell NOT!

COULD Dempster be a 5.highdecimalnumber ERA?   ????  

My point to Southpaw777 still stands.  These two HAVE TO pitch well enough.  In other words.......  NOT suck!   as they possibly could??? 

I'm pulling like hell for your numbers early on, with both close to 9 - 10 wins...  If they're closer to 7 - 8 wins apiece....  It puts way too much pressure on the top of the rotation!  & it could spell the beginning of the END.

11. This post has been removed.