Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth?

Seeing what Montero returned to the Yankees, most scouts rate Lavarnway a notch or two below Montero with regards to offense. Hype aside, both are most likely career DH's. Seems the Mariners are now officially out of the Prince running. Do the O' s, White Sox or Indians see Lavarnway as a low cost high upsaide DH and would the bounty be similar to Pineda?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth?

Begs the question what is Ellsbury worth?

Explore---play some Moneyball---let Rosenthal, Buster, Nick and Peter spread the word for you---by the way let Boras read about it in the LA Times or on MLBTR.com.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Lavarnway, Ranaudo and Middlebrooks would that get you a major starting pitcher from a team like the Braves that are stacked with young pitchers?

Would Ells get you a starting pitcher from the Braves( starting pitcher + Bourn) or the Giants (Vogelsong).

Lavarnway will be a catcher--he's a smart, big, tough kid--he should be the Sox starting catcher this season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth?": [QUOTE]Begs the question what is Ellsbury worth? Explore---play some Moneyball---let Rosenthal, Buster, Nick and Peter spread the word for you---by the way let Boras read about it in the LA Times or on MLBTR.com. Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE] Mad, you miss the point on Moneyball. It is performance in relation to cost control. With Ellsbury, there is still the element of only having the one season, AND the lack of cost control (and Boras) I would venture the return on Ellsbury would be low. To give up 5 years on a player like Peneda for 1 year of a player like Ellsbury is not smart Moneyball. To make matters worse, Boras 99% takes Ellsbury onto the free market. Moneyball rates a player such as Montero ( and Lavarnway) greater than Ellsbury due to the cost control elements. Realistically, even if Ellsbury has another most year, I can see the Dodgers with new ownership having interest. I assume the Cubs are still too far off to bite next year. I don't see the Yanks giving another player 18-20 million next year. Unless the Mets sell, they have no money. Nast have Worth, Strasberg and Harper in the pipeline to pay bug money. Who gives up a prospect like Pineda for Ellsbury with short control?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

In Response to Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth?:
    [QUOTE]Lavarnway, Ranaudo and Middlebrooks would that get you a major starting pitcher from a team like the Braves that are stacked with young pitchers? Would Ells get you a starting pitcher from the Braves( starting pitcher + Bourn) or the Giants (Vogelsong). Lavarnway will be a catcher--he's a smart, big, tough kid--he should be the Sox starting catcher this season.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]
    Good post and Lavarnway should be the 2012 starting C .His D is better than advertised from what I've read. He could also DH p/t and give him some glove work at 1B to spell AGon who clearly was burned out in Sep. 30-35 hrs, 85 rbi and .290 BA not out-of-the-question. I cringed when I saw the Sox may invite Varitek to ST. What's the point, they have Shoppach, Salty and Lavernway?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

WHAT IS THE NEXT CARLTON FISK WORTH ????    DO NOT, "LET ME BE CLEAR", DO NOT EVEN THINK OF TRADING LAVARNWAY !!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

rkarp---this is my Moneyball---yours is yours. 
    Everything is in the eye of the beholder---Ells is my tradeworthy player--many on the forum view him as an untouchable--I view him as the mystery guy--will he have another great season or won't he? Will he increase his trade value or reduce it?-half full--half empty? Let the buyer beware.

If the Sox can reap what they need from moving Ells-that's my Money in the Bank Moneyball---don't wait too long--strile while the iron is hot--the Jay's have to make a move, watch them move quickly for Hernandez---for the Mariners what's the point in keeping Hernandez now? $19 M a year for what a third place finish at best in the West? 

Like the Sox, what's the point in keeping Ells, Youk, Beckett and Buch if you are not going all in to field the very best team possible that has a shot at the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Maybe we should re-phrase the question?

What would it take to/what would you give up for Clayton Kershaw?

Kershaw/Buck/Lester/Beckett/Doubrant

Bailey/Bard/Melacon/Aceves/Morales/Albeirs/1 more lefty

A package of all of our best prospects?

Ellsbury 1 for 1?

Something else?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Lavarnway will be better than Montero.  I think the question it begs is a good one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe we should re-phrase the question? What would it take to/what would you give up for Clayton Kershaw? Kershaw/Buck/Lester/Beckett/Doubrant Bailey/Bard/Melacon/Aceves/Morales/Albeirs/1 more lefty A package of all of our best prospects? Ellsbury 1 for 1? Something else?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

The only reason why the Dodgers should trade him is to completely rebuilt that organzation. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Lavarnway will be better than Montero.  I think the question it begs is a good one.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Did you ever consider becoming a comedian?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe we should re-phrase the question? What would it take to/what would you give up for Clayton Kershaw? Kershaw/Buck/Lester/Beckett/Doubrant Bailey/Bard/Melacon/Aceves/Morales/Albeirs/1 more lefty A package of all of our best prospects? Ellsbury 1 for 1? Something else?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

It seems like yesterday's Yankee moves, while I don't condone, has certainly stirred up a bunch of nervous and desperate energy amongst the Beantown faithful.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth? : It seems like yesterday's Yankee moves, while I don't condone, has certainly stirred up a bunch of nervous and desperate energy amongst the Beantown faithful.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

You got that right...because before these 2 yankee moves, sox fans were perfectly happy with their thin pitching staff and lack of a rt fielder, but not anymore.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth? : You got that right...because before these 2 yankee moves, sox fans were perfectly happy with their thin pitching staff and lack of a rt fielder, but not anymore.
    Posted by stillallbost08[/QUOTE]

In order to try to defuse/distract this sequence of events, I'm pretty certain the RS FO will counter, and partly due to media, fan, and peer pressure; perhaps Garza even as a possibility.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth?:
    [QUOTE]Seeing what Montero returned to the Yankees, most scouts rate Lavarnway a notch or two below Montero with regards to offense. Hype aside, both are most likely career DH's. Seems the Mariners are now officially out of the Prince running. Do the O' s, White Sox or Indians see Lavarnway as a low cost high upsaide DH and would the bounty be similar to Pineda?
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Good question rkarp, I'm pretty confused at what we have done so far signing Shoppach and thinking of inviting Tek to ST.  Maybe Tek will be invited just to work with some of the staff during ST, then maybe become a coach of sort because at this point he should never be standing in the way of Salty, Kelly or Lav. 

I'm hoping one more move or two are in the works but considering all the "mediocre arms" we have signed to compete in ST, this may be all we get which would be a huge mistake.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth? : In order to try to defuse/distract this sequence of events, I'm pretty certain the RS FO will counter, and partly due to media, fan, and peer pressure; perhaps Garza even as a possibility. Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE] I don't think the Sox will panic and I don't see the price for Garza going down, so I doubt he is an option at the moment. It's being reported that both the Yanks and Sox tried to get Hernandez, but Seattle wouldn't budge, so they both moved onto Pineda. The Mariners liked Montero more than anyone in Sox organization, so they chose Yankee deal. It's very difficult to convince a free agent hitter to go to Seattle, whereas a pitcher is much easier. That's why they made the move. Montero is ready to hit major league pitching, while Lavarnway needs to catch full-time Pawtucket. Those who think he is ready to be the starting catcher, well, its not an option. If it was, he'd be working with Gary Tuck this winter and he hasn't....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

My guess is that the Cubs deal Garza to the Sox for a couple of players and call that the compensation due the Sox.  That will put the Sox over the luxury tax level and end that discussion once and for all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth?": [QUOTE]My guess is that the Cubs deal Garza to the Sox for a couple of players and call that the compensation due the Sox.  That will put the Sox over the luxury tax level and end that discussion once and for all. Posted by traven[/QUOTE] Why would the Cubs ever do something like that? They don't HAVE to move Garza and they reportedly are asking the world for him. A "couple of prospects and Theo compensation" doesn't even get a counter offer from Cubs front office...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Id like to see them keep Lavarnway in AAA, teach him how to Catch and continuing pounding the baseball.  By June he should be a blue chip prospect with allstar potential.  That will pull you in a  good return.

He is smart, powerful and shows plate disipline at a young age, he is an intruiging prospect even if he projects as a DH/ part time catcher. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You got that right...because before these 2 yankee moves, sox fans were perfectly happy with their thin pitching staff and lack of a rt fielder, but not anymore.

Only softy has shown he is "perfectly happy" with a thin staff..

Many here, myself not included, have been preaching that our top piority is a big bat Rh'd RF'er.

Most of us know Ben is not done, and we don't pounce and judge before all the facts are in. The same thing happened last winter, then "BAM!", all of a sudden the argument went from Theo "not doing enough" to did Theo "do too much". 
    (Crawford and AGon)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]You got that right...because before these 2 yankee moves, sox fans were perfectly happy with their thin pitching staff and lack of a rt fielder, but not anymore. Only softy has shown he is "perfectly happy" with a thin staff.. Many here, myself not included, have been preaching that our top piority is a big bat Rh'd RF'er. Most of us know Ben is not done, and we don't pounce and judge before all the facts are in. The same thing happened last winter, then "BAM!", all of a sudden the argument went from Theo "not doing enough" to did Theo "do too much".  (Crawford and AGon)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I still have a gut feeling Theo and the Sox will make a move involving Garza.  Theo needs a few good young prospects and he knows guys like Middlebrooks, Kalish, Renaudo and Lav well.  Dumping salary may be the issue along with Lucchino allowing Ben to pull the trigger.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Oswalt and Ludwick are two moves I would make today for the right price.  Oswalt fills the 4th spot, gets groundballs and if healthy could return to form as when he was with the Astros.

Ludwick could platoon with Sweeney and provide the back of the order pop the RS are looking for.  Forget the Luxury tax and put a contending team on the field.  The Yankees just set themselves up for another title run with just two quick moves.  Time for Ben to step up and fill out the roster before the RS fall behind in a very stacked AL playoff picture.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

maybe trade a lav, renaldo, doubront, jenks for garza type deal so it is essentially dollar neutral?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth?": [QUOTE]maybe trade a lav, renaldo, doubront, jenks for garza type deal so it is essentially dollar neutral? Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE] If the reports are true, that won't get it done, even if you subtract Jencks. As of right now, Doubront is certainly not considered a top prospect, Ranaudo's stock took a hit and not sure how much value Lavarnway has to an NL team right now...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

EXcerpt from WEEI Report

The Red Sox were interested in Kuroda, but because of organizational budgetary constraints, they weren't able to match the Yankees' offer without shedding payroll via another roster move. As for Pineda, a major league source suggested that the Red Sox didn't have a hitting prospect Seattle valued as much as Montero, saying it would have taken a lot more than just Ryan Lavarnway, whom some in baseball saw as an equal to Montero by September of last season.