Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth?

In Response to Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth? : Sure. When in trouble resort to: I was doing "tongue-in-cheek" Was being sarcastic Was just fooling The truth is that you are : 1.) Headstrong or 2.) Ignorant or 3.) Trolling
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

You tool, I was responding to what soxnewmex wrote.  Read his post and my response, you are not very bright as well as being a troll.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Soxnewmex also deserves the duncecap for his remarks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Soxnewmex also deserves the duncecap for his remarks.

I was being sarcastic in my response to him.  I unederstand where he is coming from, he's a fan of his team and wants Lavarnway to do well.  Its just been the general consensus among scouts that Montero will be a better hitter.   They will both probably get a lot of playing time this year so we'll see how they do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

wow the little league ranks are missing some great gm's.

pinny got the upside but terrible 1/2 year splits.

Zamaya threw 100mph once upon a time too...................

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth? : Please edit this, make corrections to it in red and feel free to add to it based on your many hours that you spent on the road last year looking through binoculars and charting pitches. Scouting Report : High baseball IQ with solid catcher's frame. Average-to-slightly above-average contact potential and possesses above-average plate discipline. Slightly closed, crouched stance. Attacks mistake pitches, especially ones out and over the plate. Upper cut swing that produces a bit too much topspin. Solid-average power projection despite plus raw power. Can drive the ball to all fields and uses lower body well in his swing. Likes to get arms extended, which leads to some struggles on the inside third. Well below-average speed. Rough overall catching skills. Limited range behind the dish and slow reactions. Tends to stab at offerings, and his catching hand drifts when framing pitches. Average blocking skills, he needs to improve how he controls balls bouncing out in front of him and the fluidity of his footwork. Has made ample strides with his catch-and-release mechanics since joining the organization. Hard worker dedicated to honing craft. Despite improvements, catching skills are still limited. Will need to increase defensive versatility. Projects more as a DH/part-time catcher/bat off the bench at the major league level.

This is the soxprospects scouting report if I remember correctly. Possibly they make these assessments on a peer review basis or it could be just one person's assessment. I'm not sure.

No one here is debating that virtually all of baseball rates Montero higher. Right? Can we put that to bed?

It doesn't help matters that soxprospects is still assessing Lavarnway around #5 or 6 in the organization. He was around #11 or so last year after putting up offensive player of the year twice ( now it's been 3 years in a row ). Montero is basically an offensive guy only also and he's rated so much higher than our 3 time offensive player of the year who also was an NCAA batting champ in college? What part of the data am I missing here?  

Middlebrooks has had really only one good year in AA ball, goes up to AAA ball and tanks immediately and he's our #1 over our 3 time offensive player of the year? Middlebrooks may well top Lavarnway but he could also be a 1 year wonder. 

We all have our biases and opinions...etc. Do we follow the flock or do we make decisions based upon the data. All scouting assessments, the numbers they put up. Organizational comments which are consistently outstanding by the way. Our own eyeballs. To me, the guy appears to be under rated by all of baseball. He got pegged early on as never making it defensively and not athletic enough. I understand the reluctance of so many to adjust their initial projections. We see it all the time on this forum. Some people just are very slow to admit when they get it wrong. It happens all the time here. Every day.

If I'm wrong, I will regretably admit it but I will admit it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth? : I was being sarcastic in my response to him.  I unederstand where he is coming from, he's a fan of his team and wants Lavarnway to do well.  Its just been the general consensus among scouts that Montero will be a better hitter.   They will both probably get a lot of playing time this year so we'll see how they do.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

Well, the remark that armchair experts can hold a candle to real scouts is still preposterous. He gets a smaller dunce cap since he is a Red Sox fan in a Boston forum. Red Sox fans should be given the some benefit of the doubt for being hopeful, optimistic, and exuberant in their own forum. You being here to stifle those feelings is what is wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth? : Well, the remark that armchair experts can hold a candle to real scouts is still preposterous. He gets a smaller dunce cap since he is a Red Sox fan in a Boston forum. Red Sox fans should be given the some benefit of the doubt for being hopeful, optimistic, and exuberant in their own forum. You being here to stifle those feelings is what is wrong.

For the umpteenth time I was being sarcastic when I said that, who knows what his motivation to doubt scouts was.....maybe homerism?

You get the biggest dunce cap simply for being yourself Kim.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

You should be off to other threads in an effort to bring TRUTH, HONESTY, AND REALISM to the forum. I don't know how the forum would survive without your crusade. Have fun.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]You should be off to other threads in an effort to bring TRUTH, HONESTY, AND REALISM to the forum. I don't know how the forum would survive without your crusade. Have fun.

I don't know either, someone has to be here to counterbalance you and all your screenames.  Its a tough job but I'm up to it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth? : I don't know either, someone has to be here to counterbalance you and all your screenames.  Its a tough job but I'm up to it!
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

You are not trying to counterbalance me. Your mission is to counterbalance Red Sox optimism and hope by numerous others. Where is that sincerity, honesty, and realism of yours. Kim is much more articulate about it than I am. You and a handful of other Yankee fans feel licensed to invade an enemy forum and stifle homerism, excitement, hope, optimism, and enjoyment. Do we really need such invaders?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Begs the question what is Lavarnway worth? : You are not trying to counterbalance me. Your mission is to counterbalance Red Sox optimism and hope by numerous others. Where is that sincerity, honesty, and realism of yours. Kim is much more articulate about it than I am. You and a handful of other Yankee fans feel licensed to invade an enemy forum and stifle homerism, excitement, hope, optimism, and enjoyment. Do we really need such invaders?
    You are Kim and you're also a troll Pike.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Avoid the issues stated or else you had trouble comprehending them. I expected that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Avoid the issues stated or else you had trouble comprehending them. I expected that.

Pike/Kim you avoid any question that is asked of you, so just stop.

You're a cancer on this forum.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

People who place a lot of stock in the opinions of authorities or self-styled experts are laughable.  All of sport throughout the years is replete with countless examples of those rated (by "highly trained" scouts and experts) low who now populate the aisles of the various halls of fam,e and of those rated the highest whose careers never even got off the ground.  Ryan Leaf and Joe Montana pop into my mind, but there are innumerable examples in all sports and it's common knowledge.  But some people simply have some sort of psychic deficit and a corresponding need for authority figures to cite.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]People who place a lot of stock in the opinions of authorities or self-styled experts are laughable.  All of sport throughout the years is replete with countless examples of those rated (by "highly trained" scouts and experts) low who now populate the aisles of the various halls of fam,e and of those rated the highest whose careers never even got off the ground.  Ryan Leaf and Joe Montana pop into my mind, but there are innumerable examples in all sports and it's common knowledge.  But some people simply have some sort of psychic deficit and a corresponding need for authority figures to cite.
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

So it is binary in your mindset that scouts and video and eyeball reports are useless and no money should be spent on them? There is no gray area in between the two extremes? Should good actors need auditions. Are you here to play the Devil's Advocate or are you really this dense?

If so then why do all 30 MLB teams disagree with your hypothesis?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Scouts and statistical analysis certainly help GMs project who might make it to the bigs and who might do well once there, but no methodology is a sure bet. 

The A's faired a lot of their scouts and went with sabermetrics and stats almost completely.

Let's look at some history...

Baseball America's Top Prospects 2004:
    1) Mauer
    2) BJ Upton
    3) Delmon Young
    4) Edwin Jackson
    5) Rickie Weeks
    6) Alexis Rios
    7) Kazuo Matsui
    8) Greg Miller
    9) G. Sizemore
    10) Fielder

2006:
    1) Delmon Young
    2) Justin Upton
    3) Brandon Wood
    4) Jeremy Hermida
    5) Stephen Drew
    6) F. Liriano
    7) C. Billingsley
    8) J. Verlander
    9) Lastings Milledge
    10) Matt Cain
    11) P. Fielder
    12) H. Kendrick
    13) Alex Gordon
    14) Andy Marte
    15) R. Zimmerman
    16) Ian Stewart
    17) Conor Jackson
    18) Salty
    19) Andy LaRoche
    20) C. Quentin
    21) N. Markakis
    22) Lester
    23) Chris Young
    24) Bobby Jenks
    25) T. Tulowitzki
    30) Hanley Ramirez
    37) Pepelbon
    39) Phil Hughes
    49) Ryan Braun
    50) A. McCutchen

2008:
    1) Jay Bruce
    2) Longoria
    3) Joba
    4) Buchholtz
    5) Colby Rasmus
    6) C. Maybin
    7) C. Kershaw
    8) F. Morales
    9) Homer Bailey
    10) D. Price
    11) Travis Snyder
    12) M. Wieters
    13) Ellsbury
    14) McCutchen
    15) Jake McGee
    16) B. Wood
    17) Wade Davis
    18) M. Moustakas
    19) E. Andrus
    20) Fernando Martinez
    21) R. Porcello
    22) C. Gonzalez
    23) M. Laporta
    24) N. Adenhart
    25) J. Schafer
    26) Gio Gonzalez
    27) C. Marrero
    28) J. Hetward
    29) Adam Miller
    30) Fukudome
    31) Andy LaRoche
    32) C Headley
    33) A Villalona
    34) J Cueto
    35) D Guerra
    36) B Anderson
    37) J Tabata
    38) I Stewart
    39) R. Brignac
    40) Lars Anderson
    44) Joey Votto  
    59) Desmond Jennings
    64) Masterson
    73) Lowrie
    94) Micheal Bowden
    96) Ryan Kalish
    99) Jeff Niemann

I guess if we had traded Lars for Votto back in '08, some here might have objected due to their rankings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m