Behind closed doors, what does Ben C. & Bobby V. have in store for YOUK & AVILIES???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Behind closed doors, what does Ben C. & Bobby V. have in store for YOUK & AVILIES???

In Response to Re: Behind closed doors, what does Ben C. & Bobby V. have in store for YOUK & AVILIES???:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Behind closed doors, what does Ben C. & Bobby V. have in store for YOUK & AVILIES??? : Actually, Aviles has played very little SS since his rookie year How he fares as the everday SS remains to be seen. In that capacity, he's still an "unknown." You can be skeptical about "the second coming" without being so specific about range on the basis of slim evidence and without knowing whether he was still nursing the groin. Nonetheless, do you reject the consensus judgment that at this moment Iglesias is a better fielding SS than Aviles. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

No ex, I certainly do not reject that.  I embrace that.  And I look forward to the dawn of the Iggy age.  And i also do not imply that Iggy's range is somehow lacking. But, I have seen enough to make an educated guess that the Iggy fan club will be surprised at how many balls in the hole get through on his watch. And I have seen enough to know that Aviles is a perfectly capable shortstop, though, admittedly not stellar.  To boot, his bat makes up for any little shortcomings.  It is needless to say that these are just hunches.  For any of us.  As you rightly correct me on, these are both relative unknown commodities.  But, I feel strongly that Aviles is more than capable enough to placehold while Iggy gets his batting technique down for a couple more months.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: Behind closed doors, what does Ben C. & Bobby V. have in store for YOUK & AVILIES???

Perhaps we are actually waiting for the dawn of a different age ...

Pedrooooo Ciriacoooooo!!!!

or as Gordon Edes called him: Ka-RUM-bah! Cee-REE-ah-coe

There's only a little time left in ST so I have to make the most of it by overblowing SSS brilliance.  Though, he does appear to have a chance of making the roster ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

ciriaco certainly has played better than punto. maybe he will beat him out for the utility position

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Back after a multi-month vacation from the board...too much chicken and beer last fall... :)

The left side of the infield is what it is. Youk when healthy will look better than he did for most of last year but is not going to be confused with Mike Lowell or Adrain Beltre. Aviles is not going to be an impact fielder and should be looking over his shoulder if and when Iggy starts to hit.

I still think the issue with this team is the same one as it was last August and September. Pitching, pitching and pitching. The RS get solid years from the starters and the revamped bullpen produces, the short comings on the left side aren't fatal IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Behind closed doors, what does Ben C. & Bobby V. have in store for YOUK & AVILIES???:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Behind closed doors, what does Ben C. & Bobby V. have in store for YOUK & AVILIES??? : No ex, I certainly do not reject that.  I embrace that.  And I look forward to the dawn of the Iggy age.  And i also do not imply that Iggy's range is somehow lacking. But, I have seen enough to make an educated guess that the Iggy fan club will be surprised at how many balls in the hole get through on his watch. And I have seen enough to know that Aviles is a perfectly capable shortstop, though, admittedly not stellar.  To boot, his bat makes up for any little shortcomings.  It is needless to say that these are just hunches.  For any of us.  As you rightly correct me on, these are both relative unknown commodities.  But, I feel strongly that Aviles is more than capable enough to placehold while Iggy gets his batting technique down for a couple more months.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    Balls in the hole get through on the watch of even the best shortstops. Otherwise there would be no hits in the 5.5 hole when gold gloves are on duty. The speed of the ball, the condition of the infield, and the positioning of the SS all play roles. For example, with a lefty at the plate, the SS normally is shaded towards second and may play shallower because he doesn't expect the ball to be hit as hard as, say, by a righty power hitter. He then has farther to go and has less space for lateral movement in order to make the play.
    I'm not putting Aviles down. I'm responding to your judgment about Iggy's range, a judgment that seems to me premature and not supported by enough evidence.
    Aviles may handle the job quite well, and Iggy may be less than advertised, though it does seem that everyone who's seen him play a lot does not doubt that he's a superior defender -- perhaps an elite one. That would include range.
    Let's do "wait and see."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

I rarely post, but I read everyday - so glad you're back!

[QUOTE]Back after a multi-month vacation from the board...too much chicken and beer last fall... :) The left side of the infield is what it is. Youk when healthy will look better than he did for most of last year but is not going to be confused with Mike Lowell or Adrain Beltre. Aviles is not going to be an impact fielder and should be looking over his shoulder if and when Iggy starts to hit. I still think the issue with this team is the same one as it was last August and September. Pitching, pitching and pitching. The RS get solid years from the starters and the revamped bullpen produces, the short comings on the left side aren't fatal IMO.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Back after a multi-month vacation from the board...too much chicken and beer last fall... :) The left side of the infield is what it is. Youk when healthy will look better than he did for most of last year but is not going to be confused with Mike Lowell or Adrain Beltre. Aviles is not going to be an impact fielder and should be looking over his shoulder if and when Iggy starts to hit. I still think the issue with this team is the same one as it was last August and September. Pitching, pitching and pitching. The RS get solid years from the starters and the revamped bullpen produces, the short comings on the left side aren't fatal IMO.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Welcome back katz. It's nice to have another poster here who believes pitching is the key  "issue". 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In Response to Behind closed doors, what does Ben C. & Bobby V. have in store for YOUK & AVILIES???:
    [QUOTE]  Not going to win with that leftside at 3rd & SS.....  Might be a good time to make a move.... What say you, all you "ALL WORLD T-BALLERS" ????
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

The Sox won in 2007 with Julio Lugo at SS.  They can win with Aviles and Youk.  Don't worry about them; it's the pitching that will determine how far they go this season. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox won in 2007 with Julio Lugo at SS.  They can win with Aviles and Youk.  Don't worry about them; it's the pitching that will determine how far they go this season. 

1) The '07 Sox had better pitching & better leftside IF fielding.
    2) For all the grief Lugo got for his fielding, he actually had above average range when healthy. From 2003-2007 Julio had the second best RngR number:
     (Everett +54.4, Lugo +34.3, Vizquel +20.4, Gonzo +17.2, OCab +9.6)
    3) Mike Lowell was still pretty good at 3B in '07; he was 8th in UZR at 3B in 2007 and 7th in RngR.

Now, we have shaky pitching and subpar Leftside infield defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

All hail mike lowell! fear the eye brows!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Behind closed doors, what does Ben C. & Bobby V. have in store for YOUK & AVILIES??? : you know what makes me laugh about that? the fact that you wouldn't have the balls to say that to his face eyeball to eyeball.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

really? are we rolling up sleeves now. How "man" of you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Just a note on this saturday morning......  I should have included SALTY in with YOUK & AVILLIES.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]  Just a note on this saturday morning......  I should have included SALTY in with YOUK & AVILLIES.....

I think we know what we are going to get a C and SS. What we don't know, is what we are going to get in RF and in LF (until CC gets back anyway). Ross and Sweeney may handle it just fine, but RF at Fenway is quite an expanse, and the wall in LF is very difficult to play.
    I still don't understand why Ben would trade away Reddick who at least had enough games in RF under his belt, to deal with that corner.
    Jet Blue park may have helped thse guys enough to at least get a feel for what's in store.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Aviles at SS is truly a joke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Aviles at SS is truly a joke.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]I would rather see him in left field......  It is just a $$$$$$$$$$$$ move with Iggy & maybe Lavarnway too !!!  April, May & June are on the line .....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Behind closed doors, what does Ben C. & Bobby V. have in store for YOUK & AVILIES??? : I would rather see him in left field......  It is just a $$$$$$$$$$$$ move with Iggy & maybe Lavarnway too !!!  April, May & June are on the line .....

we'll still be OK with aviles at SS. I mean the guy IS in the major leagues and its not because he has such an awesome bat. his defense is pretty solid too. obviously when you compare it to Iggys glove its no contest but since Aviles's bat is so hot ATM I don't see how you can start Iggy. I'd sacrifice a bit of defense for much more offense