Beltran?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxNation4Ever. Show RedSoxNation4Ever's posts

Beltran?

Theo has mentioned that he wants to upgrade the team, and mentioned right field as one area that needs more production.  Is Beltran a good target?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Beltran?

depends on what the mets want and how much of the remaining 19mil they are willing to eat..Good SH bat in RF. They might look at a bit lower salary though..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

NO!  I want Beltran but Gammons said yesterday on WEEI there is ZERO chance that the Red Sox acquire Beltran.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Gammons is right burrito..Unless the mets eat a bunch of $$$

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Francouer would be more likely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Francouer is more likely, although KC might want to hold a veteran bat at some point, too. 

I do think he is the top of the wishlist right now.  Ryan Ludwick and Conor Jackson are other names that I hear alot.

Other possibilities include Ryan Raburn (.860 OPS vs LHP) and Ryan Spilsborghs..

Awful lot of guys named Ryan...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The Mets will not be eating any of his salary....one they cant afford it and two...Salary would be the main reason they would be trading him since they are not going to get any top prospects in return. His contract says he cant be offered arbitration, so the Mets or any tema that trades for him will not get draft compensation when he becomes a free agent....every team knows this, so he is truly just a second half rental.....because of that, his trade value is greatly diminished....but since the Mets are financially strapped, saving salary would be a big thing for them....so a) Are the Sox willing to add payroll and b) are they willing to rent a guy when they know they get know draft comp for him....something that they have always gone after in trades before.....I would but I am betting the Sox wont  go against their organizatonal philosphy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Well, if WEEI said it, then it must be true. Yeah, right.
    I'd rather see the Sox take a run at Hunter Pence. He's younger, less injury prone, and in his prime. Also less expensive, and under control for two more years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Beltran = costly rental + aging player + diminished skills - momentary increase in skills + production.

Doesn't add up. Really.

Pass.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Beltran?:
    [QUOTE]Well, if WEEI said it, then it must be true. Yeah, right. I'd rather see the Sox take a run at Hunter Pence. He's younger, less injury prone, and in his prime. Also less expensive, and under control for two more years.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

less expensive ? hardly

but certainly way less available

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I do not think Beltran is the answer for the RF.  Can he play defense anymore with his nagging knees's problems?  That is my concern.  He may be a better hitter than JD Drew, but Drew is a better RF defender.   But only way to get him is to trade away Drew.  So it is like salary dump for Boston to Mets dumping Betran for a salary dump too.

Other than that, forget it!!

Boston isnt going to try to go over the luxury tax limit this year!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Maybe we should hold out for Wily Mo? 5 HR's in 39 AB's!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

IS Pence less expensive? His salary is 6.9 million vs. Beltran's
    19.375 million!
    Yeah, I'd say so. He's also 9 years younger than Beltran.
    A fine player in his prime vs. one on the decline.
    The Astro are in no position not to listen to all offers on any of their players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Beltran = costly rental + aging player + diminished skills - momentary increase in skills + production. Doesn't add up. Really. Pass.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Wrong.Cool

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE] IS Pence less expensive? His salary is 6.9 million vs. Beltran's 19.375 million! Yeah, I'd say so. He's also 9 years younger than Beltran. A fine player in his prime vs. one on the decline. The Astro are in no position not to listen to all offers on any of their players.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree more

depending on what you are giving up

you gotta figure the mets would pick up some of that cash

do you think the players you would have to give up to get pence

have no value? I'm saying their value would be more expensive than

the cash for 1/2 yr of beltran  especially if you can get a draft choice

next yr

The Astro are in no position not to listen to all offers on any of their players.

really ?

I'm thinking

The Astro are in no position  give up a fan favorite that doesn't cost much

but admit that could go the other way

if sox make a very expensive offer

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Sure, so let the Sox go in the tank for another injury prone past prime, overpaid player.
    Makes a lot of sense. Not!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beltran? : Wrong.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

LOL. I think he is just to pricey, my friend, and Theo is feeling burned by his moves on the FA market of late.  If he could pick up an inexpensive RH bat, like Bobby Kielty in 2007 who hit the home run that actually won the WS for us that year, then he would do it.   And he would be our friend again.

Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Beltran?:
    [QUOTE]  Theo has mentioned that he wants to upgrade the team, and mentioned right field as one area that needs more production.  Is Beltran a good target?
    Posted by RedSoxNation4Ever[/QUOTE]

Depends on the cost, but at this point Theo would be better off getting Lackey the help he needs and adding a solid starter to our rotation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Pirates are still in it, but look at Garrett Jones looks like a nice right fielder with decent power, a lefty though...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Theo should go hard after Kemp. The Dodgers are vulnerable right now and any reasonable offer to cut their payroll would likely be taken seriously. You can be sure there are other teams that will pursue him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

[QUOTE]Beltran = costly rental + aging player + diminished skills - momentary increase in skills + production. Doesn't add up. Really. Pass.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

ha ha ha ha, I like how you think... +1!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

They need a RH bat to play the outfield. That need is clearly obvious.

Beltran is a switch hitter with power and batting him behind Gonzo and Ortiz could only help his production (how much protection do the Mets put around him every game?).

If his remaining salary is the only thing blocking the Sox from making a move for him, then I'd be disappointed. They've already spent a gazillion dollars on this year's team; what's a few million more for the final few months of the guy's contract if the move would plug the one glaring hole in the roster and give them a legit shot at making the World Series?

As it stands now, I'm not comfortable with their offense as a whole. Too many holes, especially when they face lefties; and because of that fact I'm not completely convinced that this is a World Series team as currently constituted.

Get him if you can, that's what I think.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]NO!  I want Beltran but Gammons said yesterday on WEEI there is ZERO chance that the Red Sox acquire Beltran.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

The only hope I have that the Sox will snag Beltran is that old drunken harp, Gammons, said they won't. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Well, if WEEI said it, then it must be true. Yeah, right. I'd rather see the Sox take a run at Hunter Pence. He's younger, less injury prone, and in his prime. Also less expensive, and under control for two more years.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

So why on Earth would Houston trade him?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]They need a RH bat to play the outfield. That need is clearly obvious. Beltran is a switch hitter with power and batting him behind Gonzo and Ortiz could only help his production (how much protection do the Mets put around him every game?). If his remaining salary is the only thing blocking the Sox from making a move for him, then I'd be disappointed. They've already spent a gazillion dollars on this year's team; what's a few million more for the final few months of the guy's contract if the move would plug the one glaring hole in the roster and give them a legit shot at making the World Series? As it stands now, I'm not comfortable with their offense as a whole. Too many holes, especially when they face lefties; and because of that fact I'm not completely convinced that this is a World Series team as currently constituted. Get him if you can, that's what I think.
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]

Beltran is hitting .226 vs. LHP this season.  Is he really a solution if you want a right-handed bat?