Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo

We can only hope Theo goes to the Cubs. He should have been fired before Tito. You look at having Beltre and Victor last year showing how they could lead and even Napoli was coming here and you see how much good judgement is required by a good GM. Theo keeps two out of three of these guys we may have been in the playoffs right now.  Theo please go. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo

In Response to Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo:
    We can only hope Theo goes to the Cubs. He should have been fired before Tito. You look at having Beltre and Victor last year showing how they could lead and even Napoli was coming here and you see how much good judgement is required by a good GM. Theo keeps two out of three of these guys we may have been in the playoffs right now.  Theo please go. 
    Posted by concord27

Other then BA Napoli did not do any better than Salty/Tek. Would Beltre be better than Gonzalez was? The funny thing Salty was already on the roster, and Crawford plays a different position and signed after Beltre and Martinez.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo:
    In Response to Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo : Other then BA Napoli did not do any better than Salty/Tek. Would Beltre be better than Gonzalez was? The funny thing Salty was already on the roster, and Crawford plays a different position and signed after Beltre and Martinez.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5

Beltre is a much better 3rd basemen than Youkilis is.   I am sure that the Red Sox never thought of trading Youkilis and signing Beltre instead, but this would have made the Red Sox a better team this year.  I really miss Martinez, but the
    Red Sox wouldn't have resigned him.  Although, he is a very versatile player that can DH, play 1st and catch. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Why do people start this stuff and don't look at the whole situation. It is not only about getting/keeping Beltre, Napoli, and Martinez but Agon, Youk, Salty. Tek, & Ortiz.It is about fitting what three into 3 positions C/1st/3rd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You forgot AGON.
    You forgot VMart is a DH not a catcher.
    You forgot we had Papi.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo:
    In Response to Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo : Other then BA Napoli did not do any better than Salty/Tek. Would Beltre be better than Gonzalez was? The funny thing Salty was already on the roster, and Crawford plays a different position and signed after Beltre and Martinez.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5

Mike Napoli posted a batting average of .320, an on-base percentage of .414, a slugging percentage of .631, an OPS of 1.046 and a WAR* of 5.6. Those are gaudy numbers.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia posted a BA of .235, and OBP of .288, a SLG of .450, an OPS of .737 and a WAR of 2.5. Jason Varitek posted a BA of .221, an OBP of .300, a SLG of .423, an OPS of .723 and a WAR of 0.5.

In no universe did the 580 at-bats of Saltalamacchia/Varitek combo approach the production of Napoli's stellar 2011 season of 369 at-bats.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Salty played over 100 games as catcher while Napoli only played 61 games as a catcher and played approximately over 30 games at 1B.  He was out for a bit less than a month due he was on DL.

Within two years from now, I bet Beltre, Napoli and Martinez (he is now a DH) will be a DH due to they are prone to injury!!! 

Do your homework, and stop looking at the offense stats only.  Look at the defense side too!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Salty played over 100 games as catcher while Napoli only played 61 games as a catcher and played approximately over 30 games at 1B.  He was out for a bit less than a month due he was on DL. Within two years from now, I bet Beltre, Napoli and Martinez (he is now a DH) will be a DH due to they are prone to injury!!!  Do your homework, and stop looking at the offense stats only.  Look at the defense side too!!
    Posted by 4079efa6860279c229d23166fa17dfda

That's why I offered WAR, which incorporates defense (albeit on a somewhat limited basis for catchers).

I welcome any defensive stats you can offer on Mike Napoli, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jason Varitek. CERA* does not tell the whole story, but Napoli had a regular-season CERA of 3.18, Varitek 3.57 and Saltalamacchia 4.65.

* Catcher's Earned Run Average as reported at ESPN

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I commented about the personnel we have and let go for the most part.  If Beltre had stayed at third, VMart had caught with Salty if you insist,  or Napoli preferably we had not have skidded to oblivion in the last month. These other guys while human would not have shrunk and mostly likely have led us into the playoffs. As Theo should have known it is about personnel not numbers.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I know I did not want to lose Youk last winter in order to keep Beltre. I don't recall anyone taking Beltre over Youk, nor do I recall anyone not salivating over the acquisition of AGon.

With hindsight you can now easily ask why we did not trade Youk and keep Beltre, with hindsight.  Hopefully at least one of the other 26 concords can agree.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo:
    Posted by concord27

Your playing the what if game. Because of the situation with Beltre and V-Mart your jumping all over Theo. When the signing of Crawford was made you were like many other after the fact yahoo's on here. Happy as hell we got Crawford and the Yankees didn't. Question? How did Theo make Crawford have a bad year???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

In Response to Re: Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo : That's why I offered WAR, which incorporates defense (albeit on a somewhat limited basis for catchers). I welcome any defensive stats you can offer on Mike Napoli, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jason Varitek. CERA* does not tell the whole story, but Napoli had a regular-season CERA of 3.18, Varitek 3.57 and Saltalamacchia 4.65. * Catcher's Earned Run Average as reported at ESPN
    Posted by hill55

Cant compare stats among these three catchers if Salty played over 100 games while Tek and Napoli only play like 60 games as a catcher.  Salty began to worn out when he reached over 100 games during the month of September which that was because he never had a chance to have an experience to play a full season in his career while Tek and Napoli already have.  Give Salty another year or two to see if he is a worthy catcher.   

But really Boston's main problem wasnt the offense, it was the starting pitching staffs!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo : Cant compare stats among these three catchers if Salty played over 100 games while Tek and Napoli only play like 60 games as a catcher.  Salty began to worn out when he reached over 100 games during the month of September which that was because he never had a chance to have an experience to play a full season in his career while Tek and Napoli already have.  Give Salty another year or two to see if he is a worthy catcher.    But really Boston's main problem wasnt the offense, it was the starting pitching staffs!!

As evidenced by Mike Napoli's CERA of 3.18 and Jarrod Saltalamacchia's CERA of 4.65.

In six seasons, Mike Napoli has played 467 games at catcher. In five seasons, Jarrod Saltalamacchia has played 292 games at catcher.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

The point that you are missing about keeping Beltre:  he inevitably would have collided with Crawford, putting that problem out of the lineup for a reasonably long period

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo : Your playing the what if game. Because of the situation with Beltre and V-Mart your jumping all over Theo. When the signing of Crawford was made you were like many other after the fact yahoo's on here. Happy as hell we got Crawford and the Yankees didn't. Question? How did Theo make Crawford have a bad year???
    Posted by donrd4

I was very happy with the Crawford signing. But it was because I thought he would be a good fit here, not because the Yankees didn't get him. They weren't interested in him to begin with. Crawford's performance this year certainly wasn't Theo's fault. Hopefully he will have a much better season in 2012. He will be wearing a Sox uniform for another 5 - 6 years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

They wanted AGon/Youk more than Vmart/Beltre.

Wouldn't have made a difference unless Beltre of VMart would have gotten in the faces of the starting rotation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

You forgot AGON. You forgot VMart is a DH not a catcher. You forgot we had Papi.
    Posted by moonslav59

In hindsight, as long as Agon was the goal, we would have been better off trading Youk and keeping Beltre'
    Vmart is only a DH because Avila is better defensively. He is as good or better than either Salty of Varitek behind the plate, plus we could have used his offense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

The point that you are missing about keeping Beltre:  he inevitably would have collided with Crawford, putting that problem out of the lineup for a reasonably long period
    Posted by accland

Did he collide with anyone on the Texas team?  I'm asking, as I really don't know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Salty played over 100 games as catcher while Napoli only played 61 games as a catcher and played approximately over 30 games at 1B.  He was out for a bit less than a month due he was on DL. Within two years from now, I bet Beltre, Napoli and Martinez (he is now a DH) will be a DH due to they are prone to injury!!!  Do your homework, and stop looking at the offense stats only.  Look at the defense side too!!

Yeah! Let's not forget that in 101 gms, Salty had 26 PBs, 41 CWPs and a 31% CS.
    Napoli in 57 Gms, had 1 PB, 14 CWPs, and a 36% CS.
    Don't just look at the offense!

Oh, and for the record. In 2010, Vmart in 110 Gms had; 4 PBs; 37 CWPs, and a 21% CS. BTW, he caeght Wakefield too!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

For 2010 Napoli hit .238 . The LAA didn't want him. Is this the point in time that you people wanted to obtain Napoli or did you use 20-20 hindsight after his 2011 stats.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

I think that the Angels made a mistake when they traded him to Blue Jays for Vernon Wells.  I just think that the real reason Angels do not want him anymore cuz he was an often injure proned players.  He missed 87 games in 2007, 28 games in 2008, injury free season in 2009, in 2010, he moved to 1B due Kendry Morales broke his leg at the same time he was beaten out by Mathis for the starting catcher spot.  Then Napoli have no where to go during the 2011 season except he can bat DH due the Angels assumed that Morales will back at 1B and Mathis will be a proven starting catcher.  But the Angels guessed it all wrong cuz Morales never came back due to his complicated rehab, Mathis never became a star, and Vernon was one of the over-paid OF in MLB.

Seriously, Boston have been asking for him couple times in past 5 years, but the Angels wanted more in return from Boston.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think the Angels ever expected Mathis to become a star, especially offensively. He's always been one of the worst hitter in MLB.

Makes some of you wonder why he keeps playing, doesn't it?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

In Response to Re: Beltre, Martinez, and Napoli and you went for Crawford and Salty -Theo : Beltre is a much better 3rd basemen than Youkilis is.   I am sure that the Red Sox never thought of trading Youkilis and signing Beltre instead, but this would have made the Red Sox a better team this year.  I really miss Martinez, but the Red Sox wouldn't have resigned him.  Although, he is a very versatile player that can DH, play 1st and catch. 
    Posted by susan250

They wouldn't have resigned Victor? So why did they trade Masterson and Hagadone for VMART?  That would have been a BENCHMARK Theo decision, You don't trade good pitching prospects for a veteran, who does exactly what he was supposed to do, they decide you don't want to resign that veteran, unless your an idiot.
    So he signed AGON , big deal, anyone with $150 million could have signed AGON.
     But now the real power hitters are available, Albert and Prince. But we have no place for them. Every one in the world knew these two were becoming FA this year. Is AGON better than Fielder or Albert? If you say yes , then don't bother picking a fantasy team. How did AGON hit in September?  Theo is an idiot, he has to go. All do respect Maam.

Sections
Shortcuts