Ben, Admit you messed up and get rid of...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Ben, Admit you messed up and get rid of...

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

The nature of the Scutaro deal as a salary dump to allow the team to sign Ross (btw, wasn't Geo whining this winter about Ross not being retained?) has already been explained.

As to Mortensen's performance, he pitched quite well for us last season (3.21 ERA, 1.21 WHIP) and has again so far this year, though his ERA is currently inflated by one bad outing against Oakland. His WHIP is barely over 1.00.

The implication that Mortensen is only on the roster because Cherington refuses to "admit he messed up," whatever that means, is typical of the juvenile quality of most Georom posts.

Actually, the salary dump Scutaro trade allowed us to sign Ross, Shoppach and Padilla.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The nature of the Scutaro deal as a salary dump to allow the team to sign Ross (btw, wasn't Geo whining this winter about Ross not being retained?) has already been explained.

As to Mortensen's performance, he pitched quite well for us last season (3.21 ERA, 1.21 WHIP) and has again so far this year, though his ERA is currently inflated by one bad outing against Oakland. His WHIP is barely over 1.00.

The implication that Mortensen is only on the roster because Cherington refuses to "admit he messed up," whatever that means, is typical of the juvenile quality of most Georom posts.

Actually, the salary dump Scutaro trade allowed us to sign Ross, Shoppach and Padilla.

i dont think of scutaro when i think of salary dump - i think of crawford. smoltz, lugo, dice K and stephend drew....Scutaro was not paid that well and earned his money - unlike those ither dudes

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yeah Ben has done a terrible job, this team is horrible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

This team is 7-18 now. I fully support all the ranting in the OP of this thread. This team needs to be busted up NOW, and started from scratch. Napoli is damaged goods, a total bust. Lester and Buchholz have totally lost it, Dempster is not used to the ALE, and Will Middlebrooks needs to go back to Pawtucket. The Flyin' Hawaiian has done nothing but sit the bench all year with a sore back, and Ellsbury couldnt hit the ball over the fence if he hit it out of his hand, went and got it and hit it again. Lackey is a clubhouse cancer and a terrible teammate, and the bullpen looks like its ready to collapse every moment as Bailey walks the brink of disaster night after night. This team is DONE. BTW, get rid of Drew........ (If theres anyone I missed taking a shot at, feel free to tack on. Im sure Papi is overdue.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is a little hard to get angry about  anything that has  happened so  far  this season.  Seriously. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i dont think of scutaro when i think of salary dump - i think of crawford. smoltz, lugo, dice K and stephend drew....Scutaro was not paid that well and earned his money - unlike those ither dudes

Were you thinking when you wrote this amazing thread??  Really??  You're life is SO horrible that the best you can come up with is Scutaro, Mortenson and Drew????  You know....you may be on to something....I wish we never gave up on Phil Plantier.....set us back decades!!!!!  You're pathetic.......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It is a little hard to get angry about  anything that has  happened so  far  this season.  Seriously. 

And yet, and YET.......

Speaking of angry, where is Andrewmitch? My thought is that he finally did himself in when the Sox signed Stephen Drew. A man can only take so much. Poor devil.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I was wondering the same thing, exam. I find it hard to believe he just threw in the towel. Of course, pike will say he wasn't ever really a sox fan and finally gave up the ghost Hope he's OK. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Drew II - dumb mistake signing this guy for 10 million when he had good young CHEAP prospects already in the fold....

Mortenson - Scutaro trade was idiotic to begin with...a mlb shortstop for a one inning midde reliever? or shall we wait for Mort to win the Pennant MVP before we "judge" him?

Bard - Ben, you ruined him, now let him go or trade him so that he can try to move forwards because its not happening in Boston

This post is a bit out of no where...

Geo has been frothing at the mouth for something to complain, but we've been winning so much, he couldn't figure out what to complain about.  So he finally snapped and picked on someone with 5 RBIs in the past 4 games.  Just Geo being Geo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

And yet, and YET.......

Speaking of angry, where is Andrewmitch? My thought is that he finally did himself in when the Sox signed Stephen Drew. A man can only take so much. Poor devil.

I have no idea if he is gone , or is  using a different name. Really didn't have a problem with him.  Obviously , he could be disagreeable  and excessively negative ,  but  he was interesting and consistent.  The thing is ,  if not for a couple of blown saves , the Sox would have won  every series this year.  They are playing very good baseball.  There is nothing to complain about , unless that is all you want to do. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Drew II - dumb mistake signing this guy for 10 million when he had good young CHEAP prospects already in the fold....

Mortenson - Scutaro trade was idiotic to begin with...a mlb shortstop for a one inning midde reliever? or shall we wait for Mort to win the Pennant MVP before we "judge" him?

Just so I understand, we should not have signed Drew because we had cheaper alternatives available, but we should've kept Scutaro, even though the same cheap alternatives were available?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

And yet, and YET.......

I have no idea if he is gone , or is  using a different name. Really didn't have a problem with him.  Obviously , he could be disagreeable  and excessively negative ,  but  he was interesting and consistent.  The thing is ,  if not for a couple of blown saves , the Sox would have won  every series this year.  They are playing very good baseball.  There is nothing to complain about , unless that is all you want to do. 

My problem with Mitch is that he would say something almost patentedly stupid, and when you questioned him on it, he'd ignore all the obvious responses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

How can you say S Drew hasn't earne his money it has only been one month, who knows he could go on and will the World Series MVP. The Red Sox need a starter and an OFer last year, because they had no money they ended with Aaron Cook and having to trade Scutaro to sign Ross. It was a clear salary dump, they spent so much money they couldn't afford his salary.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Bard - Ben, you ruined him, now let him go or trade him so that he can try to move forwards because its not happening in Boston

Apparently the line for a successful player using the Georom Theorem falls somewhere in between the .474OPS of Drew and the .544OPS of Scutaro.

Do we take into account Scutaro's contract is twice as valuable as Drew's?  No,why do that.  It would make sense...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

No doubt, SO FAR, Drew looks like a mistake.  In fact, I hated this signing, as I thought the contract was grossly over-inflated!!!!

However....   Given the fact that he was signed, & is our Starting SS, I'm willing to cut the guy some slack.  I PRAY he gets it rolling, as he has done little other than kill rallies so far.  The frustration is understandable.  However, he certainly has good career hitting #'s, and assuming the injury is fully healed, he should start hitting.  Certainly a GOOD player historically, so to BASH Ben C. is a bit myopic in thinking.  With the worries about Iggy being able to hit ML pitching, we certainly needed to acquire a decent SS.  $10 million / yr is crazy money to throw at the SS position, unless it's a top second tier player, but it is what it is.....  THE MARKET IS WAY OVER-INFLATED!  Deal with it.

Bashing Ben C. seems to be the point here, which is IRONIC given the fact that his other signings are paying HUGE DIVIDENDS!  Pretty selective outrage here Geo?  If you're going to kill him for this signing early in the season, you should be signing his praises for the other signings who are killing it!

yea i see your point but it really wasnt a knock on ben believe it or not/ i just want us to get rid of these dead weights and put jackie, and iggy back in the bigs.....napoli looks like the bargain basement deal of alltime, shane is hurt but looks good, dempster doesnt surprise me because he's what i expected ...but lets be honest the success of this team has nothign to do with ben and all to do with the starting pitching which he inherited (cept for dempster)

Geo, 

As I've written many times before you know I have disagreed with you many times but also have agreed with you as well, but called you out last year for being overly negative. With this post you leave me speechless. It's way too reactionary, etc.  

It wasn't Ben who ruined Bard. Bard's downfall was a biproduct of his own ambitions to become a starter. Ben could have stood his ground and refused to allow Bard the experiement but the Sox were in dire need of pitching so his wishes were met. Unfortunately in hindsight it was a bad move but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Who would know or could have predicted Bard's career would have been derailed by the move.   

Drew's season has just started and considering Iggy's pathetic showing last year with the bat it was obvious he wasn't ready. Yeah he started 9/20 but how long would that last. Just as Iggy is not as bad as last year Drew is not as bad as you say and based on prior career number should prove to be a good signing until Iggy or another young SS in the minors is ready. I will grant you he was overpaid but that is not Drew's fault. More time at Pawtucket is needed before Iggy is ready. 

People were raving about JBJ after ST but once the year started he looked over matched against real pitching. If you want to pick on Ben give him credit as well. To say in quotes

"but lets be honest the success of this team has nothign to do with ben and all to do with the starting pitching which he inherited (cept for dempster)"  is pure nonsense. It is Ben who get's credit for bringing in new talent that has revitalized this team amd it was under Ben's watch that Farrel was brought in, which is possibly why both Buch and Lester have found themselves again. Ben possibly could have farmed out Lackey to the Dodgers as part of the salary dump he believed in him and now Lackey might be back to the quality pitcher he was in LA.  

Your quote is the same false reasoning that some fans used in not giving Francona credit for guiding the Red Sox to World Series wins in 2004-07. 

Again if you want to dump on Ben give him credit as well and again not every move a GM or manager makes will succeed. Along with success always comes some failure, but hopefully more good moves are made over time. 

Cheers, Hetch

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

And yet, and YET.......

Don't expect him back as long as the Sox are doing well. His MO has been to pop up as soon as the Sox go on a losing streak.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

And yet, and YET.......

Don't expect him back as long as the Sox are doing well. His MO has been to pop up as soon as the Sox go on a losing streak.

Roy, 

I can see the results of the first two or three game losing streak. The negative trolls will be coming out of the woodwork !!

Hetch

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

No doubt, SO FAR, Drew looks like a mistake.  In fact, I hated this signing, as I thought the contract was grossly over-inflated!!!!

However....   Given the fact that he was signed, & is our Starting SS, I'm willing to cut the guy some slack.  I PRAY he gets it rolling, as he has done little other than kill rallies so far.  The frustration is understandable.  However, he certainly has good career hitting #'s, and assuming the injury is fully healed, he should start hitting.  Certainly a GOOD player historically, so to BASH Ben C. is a bit myopic in thinking.  With the worries about Iggy being able to hit ML pitching, we certainly needed to acquire a decent SS.  $10 million / yr is crazy money to throw at the SS position, unless it's a top second tier player, but it is what it is.....  THE MARKET IS WAY OVER-INFLATED!  Deal with it.

Bashing Ben C. seems to be the point here, which is IRONIC given the fact that his other signings are paying HUGE DIVIDENDS!  Pretty selective outrage here Geo?  If you're going to kill him for this signing early in the season, you should be signing his praises for the other signings who are killing it!

yea i see your point but it really wasnt a knock on ben believe it or not/ i just want us to get rid of these dead weights and put jackie, and iggy back in the bigs.....napoli looks like the bargain basement deal of alltime, shane is hurt but looks good, dempster doesnt surprise me because he's what i expected ...but lets be honest the success of this team has nothign to do with ben and all to do with the starting pitching which he inherited (cept for dempster)

Geo, 

As I've written many times before you know I have disagreed with you many times but also have agreed with you as well, but called you out last year for being overly negative. With this post you leave me speechless. It's way too reactionary, etc.  

It wasn't Ben who ruined Bard. Bard's downfall was a biproduct of his own ambitions to become a starter. Ben could have stood his ground and refused to allow Bard the experiement but the Sox were in dire need of pitching so his wishes were met. Unfortunately in hindsight it was a bad move but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Who would know or could have predicted Bard's career would have been derailed by the move.   

Drew's season has just started and considering Iggy's pathetic showing last year with the bat it was obvious he wasn't ready. Yeah he started 9/20 but how long would that last. Just as Iggy is not as bad as last year Drew is not as bad as you say and based on prior career number should prove to be a good signing until Iggy or another young SS in the minors is ready. I will grant you he was overpaid but that is not Drew's fault. More time at Pawtucket is needed before Iggy is ready. 

People were raving about JBJ after ST but once the year started he looked over matched against real pitching. If you want to pick on Ben give him credit as well. To say in quotes

"but lets be honest the success of this team has nothign to do with ben and all to do with the starting pitching which he inherited (cept for dempster)"  is pure nonsense. It is Ben who get's credit for bringing in new talent that has revitalized this team amd it was under Ben's watch that Farrel was brought in, which is possibly why both Buch and Lester have found themselves again. Ben possibly could have farmed out Lackey to the Dodgers as part of the salary dump he believed in him and now Lackey might be back to the quality pitcher he was in LA.  

Your quote is the same false reasoning that some fans used in not giving Francona credit for guiding the Red Sox to World Series wins in 2004-07. 

Again if you want to dump on Ben give him credit as well and again not every move a GM or manager makes will succeed. Along with success always comes some failure, but hopefully more good moves are made over time. 

Cheers, Hetch

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Hetch,  

You were right on about Bard pushing hard for the SR!  One other MAJOR factor in his downfall......

*  Somebody convinced him (& I say it was Beckett) to notch down his mph from 95 - 99 down to 91 - 93.  This has been a HUGE factor in him losing his way, & completely messing up his mechanics.  He's still throwing about 93 tops these days.  It ain't getting better soon

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He was getting paid $6M, and we already had a 2Bman. It's really that simple.

We were at the cap limit and needed about $6M to sign Cody Ross, Shoppac and Padilla. Mortensen was not a bad get either, as his team control years outweighed Scutaro's one years deal by a longshot.

Come on, Geo. Holding a grudge over this deal is absurd.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

*  Somebody convinced him (& I say it was Beckett) to notch down his mph from 95 - 99 down to 91 - 93.  This has been a HUGE factor in him losing his way, & completely messing up his mechanics.  He's still throwing about 93 tops these days.  It ain't getting better soon

Is everything really Beckett's fault? When is this going to end? 5-10 years from now?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Is everything really Beckett's fault? When is this going to end? 5-10 years from now?

LOL!

Actually, I recall Bard talking about a conversation with Beckett, visa vi needing to ramp it down to save the arm if he wanted to be a starter.  His feeling was that there was no way he could be a starter and consistantly throw 97 - 99!

Sure!  I love blaming Beckett for everything, but this actually has legs....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

2 rbis? wow....maybe i should post everytime he's up

does that bring his avg up to .150 yet?

Being fair to Drew, he didn't have much of a ST at all.  We was thrown into the fight after over three weeks of inactivity.  I see him getting better and starting to contribute to the cause.  One good point---he hasn't let his offensive woes impede his play at shortstop.  Give this guy another week or two and I believe he will start hitting decently enough to help the Red Sox.  Just my opinion.

actually, yes. .159, up .100pts from last week...but hey 44AB's with no ST is plenty to judge right? nevermind his 3500 PA's. You have no credibility because you dont like Drew due to his last name.

I find all this ironic coming from a guy who never admits when hes wrong, yet wants others to.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts