Ben, Admit you messed up and get rid of...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: Ben, Admit you messed up and get rid of...

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I have to say sorry... 

No need to, we're cool for lack of better terms. 

Hetch

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

*  Somebody convinced him (& I say it was Beckett) to notch down his mph from 95 - 99 down to 91 - 93.  This has been a HUGE factor in him losing his way, & completely messing up his mechanics.  He's still throwing about 93 tops these days.  It ain't getting better soon

Is everything really Beckett's fault? When is this going to end? 5-10 years from now?

Id hardly blame Beckett for this one..thats a bit of a reach.

Bard got greedy when he started thinking about the salary of a starter and his agent didnt think twice in backing him up. If they though about it realistically and not chased the money, Bard wouldnt be in this situation. Bottom line is Bard got greedy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Georom, good to see you back in the Cherry-bashing saddle.  Glad that the early success hasn't dampened your lust for crushing him.  And, glad to see that you still see Marco Scutaro as example a. of Cherrington's failure.  I am heartened that at least some folk here can be relied upon for consistent takes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i liked the relief signings, i liked victorino, was indifferent about dempster, didnt understand gomes, hated drew, and thought the napoli thing was resolved quite favorably, i finally came around to farrell and thought it would end up being a very good choice...i wanted papi resigned

this is why i thought we could hit .500 and improve our win total by 13 games....but that doesnt mean we should keep iggy, bradley, and hanrahan off the team for drew/morteson

Bard was swnt down in favor of hanrahan.

After what Iggy did last year, there was almost nobody here in favor of him starting. I dont think a couple GB base hits and weak infield hits are enough to convince most people. Drew was a good signing IMO. His FA worth was about 8M per, so yeah, he was overpaid to take a 1yr deal. Just like Vic, and like Dempster. Iggy has got a bit better offensively and could be the starter here for the next 6 years IF he can prove to hit well enough in AAA. Its only a one year deal, and I believe it also helped Iggy in the fact that they werent just going to hand him the starters job. It made him work harder, and he will appreciate it that much more. I believe it will make him an all around better player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

so the Red Sox have the best record in baseball and this thread is about how bad the GM is?

Got it.

You're not familar with Geo,  either?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Scutaro could have led us to the World Series championship playing SS from his 2b position. He can do it all!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Scutaro could have led us to the World Series championship playing SS from his 2b position. He can do it all!

There are so many levels of absurdity to GEO's thread that it's hard to focus on just 17 of them.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

so the Red Sox have the best record in baseball and this thread is about how bad the GM is?

Got it.

The best record in April isn't an accurate evaluation of the job performance of the GM.

No.  Conversely, neither is "incompetent" "moron" "puppet" "stooge".

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Poor baby. "Incompetent" is an accurate description of a 4 year managment performance that spent nearly a billion dollars in labor costs and produced zero playoff wins.

I don't use "moron" and "puppet", and I only use "stooge" to respond to the Board shill who likes to inject "clown".

Of course, the best record in April is, I say again, not an accurate evalution of managment performance.

I agree fully with your latter assertion.  Can't rush to judgement in April.  That would be foolish.

Also agree that that latter couple years of the Epstein-management team were not very good.

However, I have been watching the Cherrington team doing what I see to be a pretty good job in the very difficult situation the theo-cartel left him in.  2012 was basically doing triage. He didn't have any room to maneuver, just to patch the sinking ship.  the fatal mistep was hiring Bobby V., but he was strong-armed into that.  Wouldn't have been his decision.  Then the Trade.  And now, we are witness to the unfolding of his first gambit.  Way too early to tell, but early returns look like he may just be smarter than you or Georom give him credit for (sorry to lump you guys in, you are just both so prone to critical overstatement in your bashing of management).

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Got it.

The best record in April isn't an accurate evaluation of the job performance of the GM.

That's not completely true.  What we have seen so far is a pretty darn good turnaround from a team that collapsed in September 2011 and only won 69 games in 2012.  If these guys stay reasonably healthy but start lossing a lot, then is the time to get on Ben C's case.  Or maybe if Ortiz goes on the DL for his achilles or whatever. 

You have told us what you would have done, and I am fairly sure if Ben C had done everything and the Sox were 18-7 at this point, you would be trumpetting both Ben C and of course your own genius.   You had so many demands it's hard to remember them all, but I think you wanted Upton and almost nobody on the current team except Pedroia--no Ellsbury, no Victorino, no Nava, no Gomes, no Middlebrooks, no Drew, no Napoli, no Salty or Ross, no Lackey, no Doubront, no Dempster,and not much of the current bullpen.  To get Upton, I think you would have been more than happy to get rid of Buchholz and Lester, but I might have that wrong.  You were happy to see Bobby V go, but didn't want John Farrell--right? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Look, i started this Op because im tired of watching Drew stink it up....thats it - i have been pretty upbeat about this team's projections this year and as far as Ben goes, Drew was the only move I hated this year...look it up if you dont believe it...now last year was another story

so i am enjoying the season and i am looking forward to the road challenges (stay at .500 on the road) and it will be a good road trip....i said it before that this is the best team to root for since the 2007/2008 teams

i simply get agita looking at drewII over Iggy and PedroC...sorry

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Look, i started this Op because im tired of watching Drew stink it up....thats it - i have been pretty upbeat about this team's projections this year and as far as Ben goes, Drew was the only move I hated this year...look it up if you dont believe it...now last year was another story

so i am enjoying the season and i am looking forward to the road challenges (stay at .500 on the road) and it will be a good road trip....i said it before that this is the best team to root for since the 2007/2008 teams

Fair enough Georom.  You must excuse those of us that did not see your OP as just a little agita over Drew.  Since you lumped in Bard and Scutaro (who, contrary to your belief, hasn't been anything remotely akin to a shortsto since 2011), it was kind of hard to see it so defined.  Glad you are enjoying the season so far though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

your timing is what I question, seeing that Drew has been an .800+ OPS hitter since April 22nd and has 5RBI the last 4 games with 4BB and 2 triples. Hes doing good and starting to get things going...Is that not good, or are you just hung up on the fact his last name is Drew?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fan72. Show fan72's posts

Why not just enjoy the team playing well.  There will be plenty of time to complain when they hit a skid. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to fan72's comment:

Why not just enjoy the team playing well.  There will be plenty of time to complain when they hit a skid. 

And complain georom will.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not sure why GEO is getting so down on Drew, when we all know it's Beckett's fault anyways.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm not sure why GEO is getting so down on Drew, when we all know it's Beckett's fault anyways.

C'mon Moon. He's a Drew.  you KNOW he likes fried chicken.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

your timing is what I question, seeing that Drew has been an .800+ OPS hitter since April 22nd and has 5RBI the last 4 games with 4BB and 2 triples. Hes doing good and starting to get things going...Is that not good, or are you just hung up on the fact his last name is Drew?

============================================================

what you and space have said is fair but once again sometimes i wonder if folks even bother reading opinions before judging...i was one of the few people on the board who didnt hate JD Drew...like Dice K i thought he was way overpaid but did well for a few seasons....my gripe is shortstop...where we gave up scutaro for Mortseson (sorry but marco deserved way better (and got it as a champion) after 2011 season/effort, and now have once again stunted the development of Iggy so that we can overpay this drewII....that gives me serious agita....now i also would rather have jackie B than Gomes in the outfield but Gomes isnt costing us 10 mil per year and outfield is not a critical as SS for defense...but other than that I am really liking farrell's tenure...so much better communicating than Valentine and so much more direct/firm than Francona - and his pitching insight obviously has affected clay/lester nicely...Shane has always been a johnny damon like player who goes all out - i hope his back holds up, napoli is a hitting machine (with or without a hip) and ross is a good backup

but the story thus far is the pitching - and if it holds up, we can seriously compete for a title....but all of you guys who pooh poohd conditioning for pitchers - take note of lackey...imo its not all about the surgery, its about the weight loss - it is so important as you age to lose that weight to make up for strength and quickness one loses after 30....the fact that lackey did all that conditoning while missing a year says a lot to me about his character - just like papi did last year...no more chicken runs, no more free rides - just play hard and win....the fun will always follow

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'll repeat it one more time slowly. Scutro.....was....no....longer...a.....shortstop. Please refer to the record book to see what position he played the majority of his games in 2012: second....base. Got it?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scutama01-field.shtml

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll repeat it one more time slowly. Scutro.....was....no....longer...a.....shortstop. Please refer to the record book to see what position he played the majority of his games in 2012: second....base. Got it?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scutama01-field.shtml

[/QUOTE

yea Ok, like he couldnt play shortstop if we needed him to....thats like saying napoli is no longer a catcher...its where they choose to play him(AVILES???)...obviously he's no spring chicken anymore...but still better than drewII

and like Gomes is a good outfielder????? what has morteson done to even compare with scutaro since the swap? Mort will be off the team soon enough when we are at full pitching strength

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Drew II - dumb mistake signing this guy for 10 million when he had good young CHEAP prospects already in the fold....

Mortenson - Scutaro trade was idiotic to begin with...a mlb shortstop for a one inning midde reliever? or shall we wait for Mort to win the Pennant MVP before we "judge" him?

Bard - Ben, you ruined him, now let him go or trade him so that he can try to move forwards because its not happening in Boston

A lot of fans place SS and C as two positions that mean more to a ball club defensively than offensively.  My take is, we should look to upgrade any position on the team that appears to have a weakness.  With that said its difficult to find the best of both worlds which is why I'm such a huge fan of friendly competition at all positions. 

I'm still not sold on Iggy hitting big league pitching with anymore consistency enough to make a difference over who we have chosen to play SS.  I can't honestly say we have made horrible moves.   

Sections
Shortcuts