Ben and Company totally wrong on Scutaro

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Re: Ben and Company totally wrong on Scutaro

In response to georom4's comment:

great read...once again the mid size newspaper of the Spfld Republican gets it right on the Sox....Morteson for Scutaro? After the way Scoot played in 2011, hurt and still tearing it up in Sept when all the fatcats gave up?

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2012/10/2012_world_series_star_marco_s.html#incart_river_default

And some people wonder why a lot of us gripe and complain about how our team hs been run the last few years Georom.  Scut was a fireball for us, played hard, fielded well, hit well, and never quit that last disastrous month in 2011.   But what happened?  We traded him to save five million dollars, didn't use it to add to some other funds and get the pitcher(s) we needed, and wound up getting some trash heap of a rotten pitcher in exchange.

Seems to follow a pattern with us.  Replace a solid player who left via FA or trade and replace him with an inferior.......Damon with Crisp, Bay with Cameron, Scutaro with Mortenson, Gonzales with Loney.  There a method to the front office's madness.....and it's madness.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

wally is his usual, charming polysyllabic self

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Scutaro wouldn't have made any difference for the Red Sox this year.  You are only posting this because the Giants won the WS.  If Scutaro had the same year this year playing for the Astros no one would care.

I like Scutaro, but he isn't the issue.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Folks hindsight is 20/20 as we all know. Besides dumping salary the other eason was Scutaro was 35 and the 10 ranked SS in the AL. He11 many here hated him as the RS SS because he was a defensive liability.

He was replaced by a younger guy (Aviles) who it was thought was a better option. Then you also have the fact that with the team as constituted at the time he would not get a lot of playing time.

They had Youk at 3rd with Middleboorks right behind him.

They has Pedroia at 2nd and we all know he plays through everything.

They had Iggy coming along as well as Ciracio.

It also as stated allowed them to get Ross.

Yes the season worked out not as designed but going back wards and now saying it was a dumb move is just wrong.

So yes he was a great guy but circumstances were such that it was best for the team and himself to move him.

I'm always amazed by RS fans who say something was wrong a year later.

I'll tell you what was wrong and I said it at the time not signing Paps was wrong and I also said it would hurt them for at least 5 yrs. I also said making Bard and Aceves starters was wrong since it meant rebuilding their whole BP which was truly dumb.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

when you trade scutaro to allow aviles to play shortstop, and then you trade aviles to sign a last place coach - im thinking your GM skills are sorely lacking....

crazy opinion i know....

Francona was a last place manager They signed him......Ithink your skills on managers are sorely lacking........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

when you trade scutaro to allow aviles to play shortstop, and then you trade aviles to sign a last place coach - im thinking your GM skills are sorely lacking....

crazy opinion i know....

Francona was a last place manager They signed him......Ithink your skills on managers are sorely lacking........

its not his fault. he doesn't when he types. just types whatever pops up in that thick skull of his

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Folks hindsight is 20/20 as we all know. Besides dumping salary the other eason was Scutaro was 35 and the 10 ranked SS in the AL. He11 many here hated him as the RS SS because he was a defensive liability.

He was replaced by a younger guy (Aviles) who it was thought was a better option. Then you also have the fact that with the team as constituted at the time he would not get a lot of playing time.

Yes the season worked out not as designed but going back wards and now saying it was a dumb move is just wrong.

So yes he was a great guy but circumstances were such that it was best for the team and himself to move him.

I'll tell you what was wrong and I said it at the time not signing Paps was wrong and I also said it would hurt them for at least 5 yrs. I also said making Bard and Aceves starters was wrong since it meant rebuilding their whole BP which was truly dumb.

youre the won making nonsense up...no one was thinking of aviles as a ss, or even knew who pedro c or middlebrooks were let alone as potential starters in 2012...scutaro was the hardest working player in 2011 with the biggest heart..and did darn well in 2010...to get rid of him to start a guy who never started as SS and who was traded a yr later obviously means it was a failed experiment...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Scutaro wouldn't have made any difference for the Red Sox this year.  You are only posting this because the Giants won the WS.  If Scutaro had the same year this year playing for the Astros no one would care.

i mentioned marco about 20 times in 20 different threads before his exploits in the post season..he was my fav player in 2011 and i loved his style of play....you cant be serious with that statment

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

youre the won making nonsense up...no one was thinking of aviles as a ss, or even knew who pedro c or middlebrooks were let alone as potential starters in 2012...scutaro was the hardest working player in 2011 with the biggest heart..and did darn well in 2010...to get rid of him to start a guy who never started as SS and who was traded a yr later obviously means it was a failed experiment...

No question Scutaro was a gamer.  Big Heart.  Much better than Mike Aviles.  But if you think he would have made more than a tiny modicum of difference on last year's train wreck, you are insane.  

Bottom line:  you are on a witch hunt and there is no way Ben Cherrington can ever win in your eyes.

Proof:

Ben hired your man Valentine, just like you wanted, to whip those chicken-boys into shape. No that that has turned out to be the ultimate FAIL, you dont mention it at all.  Why?  Because you wanted it too and it didn't work out.

You railed to the high heavens about the Fat Cats.  Wouldn't shut up about it.  So, Cherrington in a bold move, pushes Reset on the fat cat appraoch of latter day Theo, ships out your boy Beckett, and ... nary a peep from you on this being a good thing.

Yet, you are willing to harp incessantly on moving Marco Scutaro??  

So, I know where you stand.  But I also know that you are going to continue to be absolutely unreasonable with him because you have a very specific agenda.  You ignore anything he does that, by your own standards, is good.  And continue to blast everything that didn't quite work out well, even if it is hardly worth harping on.  Marco Scutaro.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

who in the heck missed Scutaro at any point this past regular season? Not I

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

No question Scutaro was a gamer.  Big Heart.  Much better than Mike Aviles.  But if you think he would have made more than a tiny modicum of difference on last year's train wreck, you are insane.  

Bottom line:  you are on a witch hunt and there is no way Ben Cherrington can ever win in your eyes.

Proof:

Ben hired your man Valentine, just like you wanted, to whip those chicken-boys into shape. No that that has turned out to be the ultimate FAIL, you dont mention it at all.  Why?  Because you wanted it too and it didn't work out.

You railed to the high heavens about the Fat Cats.  Wouldn't shut up about it.  So, Cherrington in a bold move, pushes Reset on the fat cat appraoch of latter day Theo, ships out your boy Beckett, and ... nary a peep from you on this being a good thing.

So, I know where you stand.  But I also know that you are going to continue to be absolutely unreasonable with him because you have a very specific agenda.  You ignore anything he does that, by your own standards, is good.  And continue to blast everything that didn't quite work out well, even if it is hardly worth harping on.  Marco Scutaro.

its his MO, he did the same thing with beckett. ignored any good start he had and as soon as he lets lets up an ER he goes into mud-sling mode

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Proof:

i have no agenda, i posted an article that was written today and shared it with you guys saying i agreed with it..ben was wrong was the jist...when did you become so reactionary?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There was a rumor that one of the reasons Scutaro was traded was that he had some issues with Valentine back in the Mets days.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Geo doesn't know that Scutaro is now a 2B????

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Dude didn't even bother watching the WS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

i mentioned marco about 20 times in 20 different threads before his exploits in the post season..he was my fav player in 2011 and i loved his style of play....you cant be serious with that statment

He...can't...play...shortstop...anymore!  What aren't you getting here?!?!?

Oh wait, Pedroia is your new "whine."  You're just waiting to insert "Scutaro is better than Pedroia" somewhere, to stir up more crap.

Try blaming the Rockies GM for trading Scutaro...They didn't have one of the best 2nd baseman in baseball blocking him in Colorado. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Proof:

i have no agenda, i posted an article that was written today and shared it with you guys saying i agreed with it..ben was wrong was the jist...when did you become so reactionary?

This is the funniest thing i have read all day.  Hhahahaaa.  Thank you Georom.  I am sure you meant no irony.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I am happy for Scutaro and the Giants, I never wanted him here and still don't. Scutaro is not an answer for this team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

if you think the article is saying scutaro was 'the answer" or would have won us the world series, then you have reading comprehension issues...thats not the point..the point is the fact that he was a great teammate, played hard like he cared, and was traded for no good reason considering not one dime went to signing a pitcher or what was needed...

if you defend that, then you deserve what Ben gives you - which is a 69 win team....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

if you think the article is saying scutaro was 'the answer" or would have won us the world series, then you have reading comprehension issues...thats not the point..the point is the fact that he was a great teammate, played hard like he cared, and was traded for no good reason considering not one dime went to signing a pitcher or what was needed...

if you defend that, then you deserve what Ben gives you - which is a 69 win team....

Sorry, dude, you make no sense once again.  I always like Scutaro and have defended him here.  But there is no material difference between him and Aviles.  There are plenty of 'good guys' in the sport, and they have their spot, but guys like Scutaro and Aviles are interchangeable.

BTW, I didn't hear you answer to the reason why Scutaro had to go is that he and Valentine hate each other.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Sorry, dude, you make no sense once again.  I always like Scutaro and have defended him here.  But there is no material difference between him and Aviles.  There are plenty of 'good guys' in the sport, and they have their spot, but guys like Scutaro and Aviles are interchangeable.

BTW, I didn't hear you answer to the reason why Scutaro had to go is that he and Valentine hate each other.

Well there's no use crying over spilt ovaltine; the whole episode is pi^s down the porcelan.  What we need to do is look ahead because we can't get the recent past back and who the hell would want to anyway.  I'm waiting for Cherington to start acting like a real competent GM and start putting the pieces together.  I guess Ortiz is in the bag, though I cannot fathom why for two years unless the Sox decided 2013 is not going to be a bridge year.  But Ortiz is a DH, not a position player and a potential problem when we go inter-league in an NL park where he is going to want to play even though he's a miserable f irst baseman.  I want to see Ross resigned as soon as possible as well.  If we make him a decent offer and not try to low ball him (a typical Epstein ploy of yesteryear) we might nab him too.  What I don't want to see is losing Ross and then signing someone with less ability---like Crisp for Damon and Cameron for Bay or Wells for Martinez or Lillibrdige for Youkilis.  We've been infamous for that kind of switches

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

Do you really think Scutaro makes the difference this year?  Especially when you consider the fact that they brought in Cody Ross with some of the freed up money.  So would Scutaro have really outproduced Cody Ross by so much that the Red Sox would have been in the playoff hunt? 

He was a free agent to be and the Red Sox got a pitcher that would be around longer than Scutaro, while also freeing up money for a guy at a position of greater need.  In a way, by clearing the way for Aviles to play full time at short, trading Scutaro helped bring John Farrell to town. 

I didn't mind the move then, and I still don't mind it.  I wish they had got more in return, but I feel that way about almost every trade made by any team that I support. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Scutaro is a gritty veteran who understands the game and is of great value to a team like the Giants who needed to plug gamers into their lineup to complement a strong staff.  He has much more value to a contending team than to a team in transition that needs to give up middle infield positions to developing talent.  Plus, he was better suited to second base anyway, especially at this point in his career.  

Scutaro played in Boston while they were still contenders.  He doesn't provide much benefit to the team when they're not contending, and in spite of his Herculean playoff performance, he's not going to be that much of difference maker in an ordinary lineup.  Expect him to play with playoff-bound teams that have holes to plug for the remainder of his career, at least after the trading deadlines.  He may end up with another ring before he finally calls it quits.  Good for him.

Sections
Shortcuts