Ben and Company totally wrong on Scutaro

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Ben and Company totally wrong on Scutaro

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Folks hindsight is 20/20 as we all know. Besides dumping salary the other eason was Scutaro was 35 and the 10 ranked SS in the AL. He11 many here hated him as the RS SS because he was a defensive liability.

He was replaced by a younger guy (Aviles) who it was thought was a better option. Then you also have the fact that with the team as constituted at the time he would not get a lot of playing time.

They had Youk at 3rd with Middleboorks right behind him.

They has Pedroia at 2nd and we all know he plays through everything.

They had Iggy coming along as well as Ciracio.

It also as stated allowed them to get Ross.

Yes the season worked out not as designed but going back wards and now saying it was a dumb move is just wrong.

So yes he was a great guy but circumstances were such that it was best for the team and himself to move him.

I'm always amazed by RS fans who say something was wrong a year later.

I'll tell you what was wrong and I said it at the time not signing Paps was wrong and I also said it would hurt them for at least 5 yrs. I also said making Bard and Aceves starters was wrong since it meant rebuilding their whole BP which was truly dumb.

[/QUOTE]

youre the won making nonsense up...no one was thinking of aviles as a ss, or even knew who pedro c or middlebrooks were let alone as potential starters in 2012...scutaro was the hardest working player in 2011 with the biggest heart..and did darn well in 2010...to get rid of him to start a guy who never started as SS and who was traded a yr later obviously means it was a failed experiment...

[/QUOTE]

Dont speak for me. I knew Aviles would be the SS once Scoot left. If you remember he filled in for scoot a few times the year before when his shoulder was hurt. I surely knew who Middlebrooks was. Your hindsight is in perfect working order these days Geo. If Scoot was on, say, The Braves...Would you be in full hindsight view right now? Ill answer that...No.

What dont you understand about Scoot not being able to play an acceptable SS anymore? He wouldnt have changed anything this year and wouldve been dealt at the deadline anyway. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Geo, with you on this one. 

It was pathetic to see "salary dump" and financials reasons being trotted out by management as a reason not to keep a contract as modest as Scutaro's. 

I hate it when the Sox play the "fiscal responsibility"/small market ball card and I don't think that's what fans really want to hear when they are being milked for Fenway bucks at every opportunity. 

But a bigger problem is that ever since Theo signed Renteria instead of Cabrera we have been on a maddening wild goose chase at the shortstop position which has raised huge questions about how we evaluate talent and why we overlook solid defensive players at that position who have proven themselves in Boston. That said with Theo gone there is a chance to fix that, and with Scutaro out it's water under the bridge now, and I'm real happy for him and the championship he played a vital role in winning. He most certainly wouldn't have experienced that this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They needed to stay under the luxury tax threshold to avoid a 40% fine and be able to start over with no fines. Yes, im sure it wasnt Ben's first choice to go on the cheap least offseason, but when he took over we all knew there was no financial flexibility. They needed other positions filled and Scutaro was expendable and HAD NO POSITION TO PLAY. What dont you guys understand about that? He wasnt an adequate SS anymore after the rotater(sp?)cuff injury and certainly not worth being a 6mm platoon guy. Why the he11 do you think he was at 2b 90% of this year with Colorado and SF???

They also wanted a little put away for the trade deadline. Which, by the way, It was very smart of BC to stand pat when everyone was looking for him to acquire more players. Instead he helped to create a ton of financial flexibility looking toward the future. A+

Scutaro was NOT going to be the difference on this team to whether they made they playoffs or not. Im happy to see him get his ring and maybe he'll be lucky enough to get another one before its all said and done for him.

I dont really get all this hind sight garbage. Complaining about a move from last Jan. just because Scutaro was a big part in helping SF win. AT 2B!!! For the situation the Sox were in, this move WAS the right one to free up 6mm. We got a good trade off with Cody Ross and Mortensen who will be pitching long after Scoot is done. Im good with that going forward. Maybe some of you should move on, look toward the future and stop living in and whining about the past.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Low Ball" was a favorite term from a poster named LAW who also hated Epstein and used the term "Theo Chicks" and hated Epstein because he was Jewish. Seabeachfred is 72 years old and uses the monikers of DannyCater and PumpsieGreen also. He claims that he became a Red Sox fan in 2000. He has been tossed out of Sawxheads for this routine. Sadly this forum is not moderated as well as those forums that he has booted from. You are stuck with him. Enjoy. He never has a good word to say about the Red Sox. color him TROLL. A pepetual WET BLANKET. A Yankee forum will love him. ENJOY.

[/QUOTE]

Not true, they are 3 separate posters.  You are the one with multiple identities.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm sure many in Boston as well as Colorado lament trading Scutaro for whatever reason...bet Scutaro is just happy they did.  You probably heard his post-game interviews - he gave credit and praise to his teammates and the team chemistry.  He didn't have that here or in Colorado. 

[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head. It's all about team chemistry but most on this board do not think it is important, as long as you have the horses to win.

Scutaro played well while he was here, but not that well. There is something to say for a team that pulls together and picks each other up. The A's have it, the Cards, the Rays, the Giants, NY, Atlanta. The Sox used to have it. Not any more, and it will take time to get it back. it has to start at the top though, and if there is any discord in upper management, it translates to the field to be sure.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's one of the great mysteries of baseball how a guy like Scutaro can go on a tear like he did with the Giants.  He is 37 years old with a career line of 276/340/391.  With Colorado he hit worse than that at 271/324/361.  Then with the Giants he goes to 362/385/473.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's one of the great mysteries of baseball how a guy like Scutaro can go on a tear like he did with the Giants.  He is 37 years old with a career line of 276/340/391.  With Colorado he hit worse than that at 271/324/361.  Then with the Giants he goes to 362/385/473.

[/QUOTE]

It's an amazing thing.  I'd go through streaks where everything looked like a BB.  Then I'd go through streaks where even the best pitchers in the league wouldn't bother me.

Of course, I would never mistake a short-term streak for a full-season streak.  Scutaro was okay for the Rox, and Aviles was okay for us.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They needed to stay under the luxury tax threshold to avoid a 40% fine and be able to start over with no fines. Yes, im sure it wasnt Ben's first choice to go on the cheap least offseason, but when he took over we all knew there was no financial flexibility. They needed other positions filled and Scutaro was expendable and HAD NO POSITION TO PLAY. What dont you guys understand about that? He wasnt an adequate SS anymore after the rotater(sp?)cuff injury and certainly not worth being a 6mm platoon guy. Why the he11 do you think he was at 2b 90% of this year with Colorado and SF???

They also wanted a little put away for the trade deadline. Which, by the way, It was very smart of BC to stand pat when everyone was looking for him to acquire more players. Instead he helped to create a ton of financial flexibility looking toward the future. A+

Scutaro was NOT going to be the difference on this team to whether they made they playoffs or not. Im happy to see him get his ring and maybe he'll be lucky enough to get another one before its all said and done for him.

I dont really get all this hind sight garbage. Complaining about a move from last Jan. just because Scutaro was a big part in helping SF win. AT 2B!!! For the situation the Sox were in, this move WAS the right one to free up 6mm. We got a good trade off with Cody Ross and Mortensen who will be pitching long after Scoot is done. Im good with that going forward. Maybe some of you should move on, look toward the future and stop living in and whining about the past.

[/QUOTE]

i agree with this. it was the right move at the time. it allowed us to get ross (who can become a major part of this team for years to come) and mortenson (who is a very young and very good pitcher. also most likely to become a big part of the BP going forward). have the haters really run out of ammunition to the point where they have to throw scoot in our faces? when he was dealt to the giants AFTER the fact? so restate what you said earlier "HE CANT PLAY SS" so he would end up like youk did before we traded him shuffling things around just to find a spot for him to play.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

think we couldve used scoot at 2b, 3b and shortstop this year? wow...just amazing how some are in denial...my fav is the statement that a ss making 6 mil was traded to "sign" a rightfielder when a rightfielder making 14 mil a yr was coming off the books....

[/QUOTE]

Geo, 

I'm with you on this one and do not understand the comment of someone accusing you of whining. We don't always agree but on this one I'm with you. For a club like the Red Sox to dump a 6mil salary to make space for other expenditures when they go out and spend silly money on Agon, Crawford, Lackey and then go out and spend low ball money on washed up pitchers like Cook and more last year makes letting Scoot go in a salary dump all the more ludicrous.

We might have had Aviles, Ciriaco at the time with Iggy waiting in the wings but Iggy even today one year later is still a very unproven commodity, Aviles just a bench player until Scoot was let go, etc and the need for an every day SS make this move all the more puzzling.

Hetch 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Scutaro wouldn't have made any difference for the Red Sox this year.  You are only posting this because the Giants won the WS.  If Scutaro had the same year this year playing for the Astros no one would care.

I like Scutaro, but he isn't the issue.

[/QUOTE]

Snake, 

Scoot wouldn't have made a difference this year and yes you and others may be right in saying the Red Sox move of Scoot looks poor in hind sight is obvious to us now in light of his performance at San Fran, but Geo hits the nail on the head because it does bring to light the poor decision making by the RS front office the last few years. 

Hetch

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

For a club like the Red Sox to dump a 6mil salary to make space for other expenditures when they go out and spend silly money on Agon, Crawford, Lackey and then go out and spend low ball money on washed up pitchers like Cook and more last year makes letting Scoot go in a salary dump all the more ludicrous.

Every contract stands on its own.  signing Gonzo and CC doesn't impact Scoot.  Trading them away doesn't impact Scoot.  The only thing that impacts Scoot is our ability to replace him at a cheaper cost.  This is why Ellsbury won't be re-signed.

Scutaro cost $6M and had a 2.5 WAR, playing primarily 2B.

Aviles, Mortensen and Ross cost ~ $4.7M, and had a collective WAR of 4.2.

Getting rid of redundant players is not a salary dump.  It's just common sense.  It is the reason why JBJ will replace Ellsbury in 2014.  It's the same reason why Aviles left for TO.  It's the same reason why Youk left.

You need to differentiate between the LAD trade, which was a pure salary dump, and trades like the Scutaro and Shoppach trades, which were surplus trades.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Scutaro wouldn't have made any difference for the Red Sox this year.  You are only posting this because the Giants won the WS.  If Scutaro had the same year this year playing for the Astros no one would care.

I like Scutaro, but he isn't the issue.

[/QUOTE]

Snake, 

Scoot wouldn't have made a difference this year and yes you and others may be right in saying the Red Sox move of Scoot looks poor in hind sight is obvious to us now in light of his performance at San Fran, but Geo hits the nail on the head because it does bring to light the poor decision making by the RS front office the last few years. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

He had a good couple of weeks.  That's all.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

think we couldve used scoot at 2b, 3b and shortstop this year? wow...just amazing how some are in denial...my fav is the statement that a ss making 6 mil was traded to "sign" a rightfielder when a rightfielder making 14 mil a yr was coming off the books....

[/QUOTE]

Geo, 

I'm with you on this one and do not understand the comment of someone accusing you of whining. We don't always agree but on this one I'm with you. For a club like the Red Sox to dump a 6mil salary to make space for other expenditures when they go out and spend silly money on Agon, Crawford, Lackey and then go out and spend low ball money on washed up pitchers like Cook and more last year makes letting Scoot go in a salary dump all the more ludicrous.

We might have had Aviles, Ciriaco at the time with Iggy waiting in the wings but Iggy even today one year later is still a very unproven commodity, Aviles just a bench player until Scoot was let go, etc and the need for an every day SS make this move all the more puzzling.

Hetch 

[/QUOTE]

scoot. can. not. play. SS. his shoulder is shredded. if you don't believe me look what position he played mostly in colorado and SF.... so even if we kept him we would have had to use someone else at SS and we would be paying scoot all the money to be pedeys backup. and the only way you can justify all that is by using hindsight to say "well.....we had all those injuries so he would have had plenty of playing time" the fact of the matter is the deal was the right one

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ben is the gw bush of GMs..everything he touches turns to chit...

Cherry is the Obama Bin Laden of GM's..everything he touches goes bankrupct and people die because of inadequate security on 911 and no response to a long attack.

[/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO!  In all my years of seeing various posts, and before the internet, looking at editorials and responses, I have never seen one try to get so many unrelated ideas into one sentence.  It's like he touched an open circuit, and his brain was thinking about 4-5 different things, and felt compelled to spill it all out at once, but only using one sentence.

This guy is a nuerologist's dream come true.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Folks hindsight is 20/20 as we all know. Besides dumping salary the other eason was Scutaro was 35 and the 10 ranked SS in the AL. He11 many here hated him as the RS SS because he was a defensive liability.

He was replaced by a younger guy (Aviles) who it was thought was a better option. Then you also have the fact that with the team as constituted at the time he would not get a lot of playing time.

Yes the season worked out not as designed but going back wards and now saying it was a dumb move is just wrong.

So yes he was a great guy but circumstances were such that it was best for the team and himself to move him.

I'll tell you what was wrong and I said it at the time not signing Paps was wrong and I also said it would hurt them for at least 5 yrs. I also said making Bard and Aceves starters was wrong since it meant rebuilding their whole BP which was truly dumb.

[/QUOTE]

youre the won making nonsense up...no one was thinking of aviles as a ss, or even knew who pedro c or middlebrooks were let alone as potential starters in 2012...scutaro was the hardest working player in 2011 with the biggest heart..and did darn well in 2010...to get rid of him to start a guy who never started as SS and who was traded a yr later obviously means it was a failed experiment...

[/QUOTE]

geo I did not say as potential starters. I said they were sitting behind the other guys IMO that is part of the reason for the moves. You dispute my thoughts on Aviles then why sign him and dump Scut if it were not to have Aviles play SS since Iggy was a big ?????....
    The thing is you are looking solely at what happened at that point in time and specific two guys. You are not taking into consideration what was available in the minors and as FAs and potential trades where as the RS must look at all of that and the 2 to 5 year plan for the team.

That is the issue with so many here they ONLY look at it in a very miniscule manner.

The RS FO must look at every thing including minors, trades, free agents and their specific plans for the team in regards to NOW and the next 5 years.

Also why do attack all the time when someone has different view point your crap gets old fast.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I never wanted the Red Sox to sign Scutaro and I stand by my position no matter how many rings he wins elsewhere. He was another in a long line of failures to fill the SS position with the top fielding talent needed for that position. However, I sure would've liked having Bronson Arroyo still pitching for us even if his team has never been to the World Series since he arrived there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

great read...once again the mid size newspaper of the Spfld Republican gets it right on the Sox....Morteson for Scutaro? After the way Scoot played in 2011, hurt and still tearing it up in Sept when all the fatcats gave up?

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2012/10/2012_world_series_star_marco_s.html#incart_river_default

[/QUOTE]

Right.  They should have held on to Scutaro and dealt him at the trading deadline, where he could have gotten tham a 23yo A-ball second baseman with a  .273OPS.   Ben really whiffed there, settling for an actual Major League relief pitcher....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You have no way of knowing whether or not the Sox viewed Aviles as a shortstop.  In fact, one might argue that since they made him one on Opening Day, it had come up before.  Or do you think they traded Scutaro, and were all satified until Opening Day, when they looked around the room and thought "Wait! Oh cr#p!  We forgot something!! We need a shortstop now.  Throw everyone's name in a hat!"

And to think no one in the Sox organization knew who Will Middlebrooks was might be the most ignorant post in the history of this board.  It took some doing, but you finally made it...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You have no way of knowing whether or not the Sox viewed Aviles as a shortstop.  In fact, one might argue that since they made him one on Opening Day, it had come up before.  Or do you think they traded Scutaro, and were all satified until Opening Day, when they looked around the room and thought "Wait! Oh cr#p!  We forgot something!! We need a shortstop now.  Throw everyone's name in a hat!"

And to think no one in the Sox organization knew who Will Middlebrooks was might be the most ignorant post in the history of this board.  It took some doing, but you finally made it...

[/QUOTE]

is that why you and all the other youkwhiners were demanding Middlebrooks be sent back to AAA when youk returned from his injury for seasoning? if it werent for Bobby V we would still be staring at Youk's sweaty bald head at 3b and you bootlickers would still be genuflecting over his dirtdogness....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

is that why you and all the other youkwhiners were demanding Middlebrooks be sent back to AAA when youk returned from his injury for seasoning? if it werent for Bobby V we would still be staring at Youk's sweaty bald head at 3b and you bootlickers would still be genuflecting over his dirtdogness....

[/QUOTE]

Not me, I wanted WMB here FT and was OK with the Youk trade. Again, I thought it was the right move at the time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

HEY!

Don't go stealing my thinder!

I've been ripping the Sox since they dumped Scut!

This team and ownership has NO RIGHT to whine about luxury anything or to make salary dumps. They dropped one of the best character guys they had from a team that was DESPERATE for MORE character.

All it took was the guy to tear it up in the playoffs for people to come around. Without the postseason he had, it was a dumb move. A stat I heard: he swung and missed something like 25 times all year. Not swung and missed for strike three...swung and missed at any point in 500+ ABs. What's that? 2000+ pitches? 800-1000 swings?

I've said it for a year, and I'll say it again: Scutaro is not a cornerpiece, but is EXACTLY the kind of player a roster should be filled out with. The Sox and their mechanical computer simulations didn't (don't?) understand this. Humans play baseball and need to be taken into account. When they start building baseball playing androids, I'm sure the Sox will be well ahead of their competition.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

HEY!

Don't go stealing my thinder!

I've been ripping the Sox since they dumped Scut!

This team and ownership has NO RIGHT to whine about luxury anything or to make salary dumps. They dropped one of the best character guys they had from a team that was DESPERATE for MORE character.

All it took was the guy to tear it up in the playoffs for people to come around. Without the postseason he had, it was a dumb move. A stat I heard: he swung and missed something like 25 times all year. Not swung and missed for strike three...swung and missed at any point in 500+ ABs. What's that? 2000+ pitches? 800-1000 swings?

I've said it for a year, and I'll say it again: Scutaro is not a cornerpiece, but is EXACTLY the kind of player a roster should be filled out with. The Sox and their mechanical computer simulations didn't (don't?) understand this. Humans play baseball and need to be taken into account. When they start building baseball playing androids, I'm sure the Sox will be well ahead of their competition.

[/QUOTE]
    this is why metrics is <flush>  this guy was a great team player and doesnt make dumb mistakes at crucial times...the consumate pro...i cant believe how many knowledgeable people on this board have dismissed marco as a minor player....he's not, he's an MVP with the World Championship team....once again Ben chit the bed evaluatuing talent

Sections
Shortcuts