Ben can't just sit there, can't build from free agency, he MUST make a ...........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Ben can't just sit there, can't build from free agency, he MUST make a ...........

BLOCKBUSTER !!!!......  This is the year to do it..... as FREE AGENCY is below value....  Ben could become an instant HERO at the FENS   !!!       THEO who ?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Ben can't just sit there, can't build from free agency, he MUST make a ...........

Ben could also be a ZERO at the FENS if he trades away some of our top prospects and they turn out to be stars.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Ben can't just sit there, can't build from free agency, he MUST make a ...........

Trying to improve through trades can be tricky. You can wind up worse off.  Can we trust Ben dealing with more experienced G.M.s ?   Remember Reddick for Bailey ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BLOCKBUSTER !!!!......  This is the year to do it..... as FREE AGENCY is below value....  Ben could become an instant HERO at the FENS   !!!       THEO who ?????

[/QUOTE]

As always, a lot of talk and never any suggestions as to what the team should do specifically.... and thats because you dont have a clue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the trade acquisitions are young star MLB players, and they fit, Bill is correct. When Napoli becomes the focal point at 3 and 4 years and 30 to 50M, that is a manifest overpriced Big Labor market.

[/QUOTE]

And who do we trade to acquire young star MLB players, plural?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As always, a lot of talk and never any suggestions as to what the team should do specifically.... and thats because you dont have a clue.

[/QUOTE]Look SON, let me SPLAIN.......    Im not the G M, however I know enough about Baseball that the day of the FREE AGENCY teams are over.......  For the record,  FREE AGENCY  is the mirror reflection of GREECE & what the "BIG O" IS DOING TO AMERICA ...........  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Look SON, let me SPLAIN.......    Im not the G M, however I know enough about Baseball that the day of the FREE AGENCY teams are over.......  For the record,  FREE AGENCY  is the mirror reflection of GREECE & what the "BIG O" IS DOING TO AMERICA ...........  

[/QUOTE]

Please explain this mirror reflection.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Please explain this mirror refelction.

[/QUOTE]

yes bill, i'll bite. maybe you can elaborate on this more than you do on your baseball suggestions..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yes bill, i'll bite. maybe you can elaborate on this more than you do on your baseball suggestions..

[/QUOTE]  After a # of bad FREE AGENT signings, a team will reach the point of fiscal and performing decline.......   Now, just look at Greece & what the "BIG O" LOOKS LIKE !!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

no. i mean elaborate more on the greece & big O situation...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ha...like I said, you have nothing of substance to say other than general ramblings!!  In fact your  Lucy  "splain" remark is priceless because you know as much about baseball as she did!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the trade acquisitions are young star MLB players, and they fit, Bill is correct. When Napoli becomes the focal point at 3 and 4 years and 30 to 50M, that is a manifest overpriced Big Labor market.

[/QUOTE]

Reality check, clown.

It's been a "manifest overpriced Big labor market" for over a decade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  After a # of bad FREE AGENT signings, a team will reach the point of fiscal and performing decline.......   Now, just look at Greece & what the "BIG O" LOOKS LIKE !!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight:  The Red Sox are like Obama because they ran up a debt with frivolous spending ... even though Obama was not the one who turned a big surplus into giant debt ... and ... Greece is like Obama because Greece ... is in austerity mode like Obama ...even though your criticism of Obama is that he should be more austere ... or is it that Obama is Greek for all we know ... or is it that Youkilis was the Greek God of Walks ... even though he wasn't Greek ... is youk a Democrat?? ... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Who are the teams that are perenially in the hunt:

The Red Sox, The Tigers, The Angels, The Cardinals, The Yankees.

These teams sign free agents.  Bill is correct that you shouldnt build a team from free agency; however, being able to supplement via free agency is a competitive advantage that the Red Sox, Tigers , Angels, Cardinals, Yankees have.

1-2 overpaid free agents, and 1-2 solid trades: we can compete w/ the tigers , angels, cardinals, yankees.  

The unfortunate reality is that the only other option is bridging to non-elite prospects and 8 yrs of missing the playoffs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

We dont have the prospects to build a team exclusively through trades.  We have one prospect ranked in the top 50 and he's like #30-something.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We dont have the prospects to build a team exclusively through trades.  We have one prospect ranked in the top 50 and he's like #30-something.

[/QUOTE]

Bogaerts is consensus top 10. Baseball Haven has him 4th overall, Sickels has him as #4 hitter. Barnes and Bradley consensus top 50 as well.  Sox will not move Bogaerts unless its part of a package for a "franchise player" under control for a while.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

there is nothing more overrated in pro baseball than red sox minor leaguers...nothing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

there is nothing more overrated in pro baseball than red sox minor leaguers...nothing

[/QUOTE]

100% agree.  The last great prospect we had was Buchholz.  That was like 5-6 years ago.  I dont count Middlebrooks because he was never really a highly touted prospect.  He just kind of burst onto the scene.

Jasko does have a good counter pt regarding Boegarts though.  Boegarts has the "elite bad speed" tag, which is awesome.  BUT (and there is a but), he hasnt filled out yet.  A lot of guys are never the same after they fill out.

Will Middlebrooks filled out and packed on 30 lbs of muscle without losing any athleticism / quickness (which is why he went from 8 rd pick to MLB regular w/ all star potential in a year).  But dont count on that, as its very rare.  I cant think of a last time a player had his ascension.  Its very possible that the additional weight Boegarts puts on will hurt his bat speed / athleticism.  We just dont know yet.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Every team has a Jackie Bradley Jr.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and a Xander Boegarts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and a Xander Boegarts

[/QUOTE]

No, but as I just said, he hasnt filled out yet.  Many 19 yr olds lose bat speed / athleticism / quickness once they grow into their frame.  Some dont (Middlebrooks) , but some do.

I will admit that Boegarts has all-star upside.  That doesnt mean I wouldnt trade him in the right deal, though.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

We are in a bad era right now.  Gomes and Napoli and swisher are the kinds of guys this leadership team is targeting.

reminds me of billy hatcher, Andre Dawson, Otis nixon signings - which ensured mediocrity.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and a Xander Boegarts

[/QUOTE]

No, but as I just said, he hasnt filled out yet.  Many 19 yr olds lose bat speed / athleticism / quickness once they grow into their frame.  Some dont (Middlebrooks) , but some do.

I will admit that Boegarts has all-star upside.  That doesnt mean I wouldnt trade him in the right deal, though.  

[/QUOTE]

No, I do not think there are any untouchables in the system right now.  If there is a marquis starter is suddenly, magically, on the block, I am certainly not married to JBJ or Boegarts, or anyone.  Still too much developmental uncertainty, as you say, to call them untouchable.

I just think that, while within the past few years it may have been true, it is a gross overstatement to say that there is nothing more overrated than the Sox farm system.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Otis Nixon career OPS = .658

Billy Hatcher career OPS = .676

Andrew Dawson was 38 when we signed him.  

Napoli just turned 31 and has a career OPS of .863.  Thats top 5 for a 1B.  And he did that w/ the wear and tear of catching.  Nice comparisons.