BEN, changes are coming .......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: BEN, changes are coming .......

Dear Bill   YOU ARE IGNORING THE QUESTION

What changes would you make right now? Make sure they are doable and do not throw away salary/players that burden you later. Doable is any trade you offer is possible for the other team to accept.

thank you

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Changes are always on the horizon, just two short years ago we fielded "THE BEST TEAM EVER". only two regulars remain from that team, gone from the opening day line-up; A-Gon, Youkilis, C.Ross, Ellsbury, Saltalamachia, Sweeney, and Aviles. Change is the only constant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I am also close to giving up on Doubront. His ERA this year is 6 and his career ERA is 4.70 (career ERA+ of 90). If he cannot turn it around in the next four starts I think he needs to be removed from the rotation one way or the other. His time is nearly up here.

Didn't we have the same discussion last year, just about this time?

And didn't he have a 3.50 in his final 22 starts, with us winning 14-22?  Not to mention his 1.29 ERA in the playoffs?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am also close to giving up on Doubront. His ERA this year is 6 and his career ERA is 4.70 (career ERA+ of 90). If he cannot turn it around in the next four starts I think he needs to be removed from the rotation one way or the other. His time is nearly up here.

Didn't we have the same discussion last year, just about this time?

And didn't he have a 3.50 in his final 22 starts, with us winning 14-22?  Not to mention his 1.29 ERA in the playoffs?

[/QUOTE]

Possibly...and if he pitches like he did when he pitched well last year I will not have any problems with him. However, if his ERA remains where it is over his next four or five starts then I am ready to admit that he is simply not good enough. I would want someone else (possibly Workman) to have a shot at our #5 SP.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phenix26. Show phenix26's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No way are we going to go much longer with STARTING PITCHERS giving up early big runs ....  What say you ????

[/QUOTE]

It's rather early to make a decision regarding starting pitchers.  Clay is coming around,

Doubront is improving...so that leaves us with Lester, Lackey and Peavy.  The three have not had the run support they should have had.  We are only 2 games behind?  A little early to panic atm.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What changes would you make right now? Make sure they are doable and do not throw away salary/players that burden you later. Doable is any trade you offer is possible for the other team to accept.

thank you

[/QUOTE]
    This is a fair question given what's happened thus far in the season.  

I like the OF with JBJ in it.  I'd even continue to play Sizemore in LF if only for his defense. Gomes is the team's good luck charm and while he's not my favorite player he does have a knack for timely hits.  A week ago it would have come down to Carp & Nava as the 5th OF'er but the FO solved that problem.  But I WOULD be looking for a trade partner for Mike Carp.

The pitching staff has enough promise that I'd not do too much right now, but I'd have Dubront on a short leash in Boston and I'd be telling Brandon Workman to keep a bag packed.  

The IF is where I'd make the changes.  I'd sign Drew tomorrow to any kind of a reasonable one-or-two year contract.  I'd then move Bogarts to 3B.  He seems to have no trouble with balls hit at him.  His issues arise when he has to move laterally, and 3B doesn't require as much lateral movement.  3B is more about quickness than speed and range.

I'd then send Middlebrooks to Pawtucket with a 1B mitt in his hand.  I've long maintained that if someone can play 3B they can play 1B.  It's the same distance from the plate and the ball comes off the bat at the same angle - only a mirror image of that angle.   After Middy reaches his apogee at 1B the decision has to be made as to whether to trade Napoli or Middlebrooks and I'd deal with that at that time.  

I understand this isn't a perfect answer.  Drew isn't as good a hitter as Middlebrooks but this would shore up what I see as a major weakness - the left side of the IF.  This team may not need an AS SS but it DOES need a SS who's dependable and with decent range if they're going to make the playoffs.  

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

thank you

[/QUOTE]
    This is a fair question given what's happened thus far in the season.  

I like the OF with JBJ in it.  I'd even continue to play Sizemore in LF if only for his defense. Gomes is the team's good luck charm and while he's not my favorite player he does have a knack for timely hits.  A week ago it would have come down to Carp & Nava as the 5th OF'er but the FO solved that problem.  But I WOULD be looking for a trade partner for Mike Carp.

The pitching staff has enough promise that I'd not do too much right now, but I'd have Dubront on a short leash in Boston and I'd be telling Brandon Workman to keep a bag packed.  

The IF is where I'd make the changes.  I'd sign Drew tomorrow to any kind of a reasonable one-or-two year contract.  I'd then move Bogarts to 3B.  He seems to have no trouble with balls hit at him.  His issues arise when he has to move laterally, and 3B doesn't require as much lateral movement.  3B is more about quickness than speed and range.

I'd then send Middlebrooks to Pawtucket with a 1B mitt in his hand.  I've long maintained that if someone can play 3B they can play 1B.  It's the same distance from the plate and the ball comes off the bat at the same angle - only a mirror image of that angle.   After Middy reaches his apogee at 1B the decision has to be made as to whether to trade Napoli or Middlebrooks and I'd deal with that at that time.  

I understand this isn't a perfect answer.  Drew isn't as good a hitter as Middlebrooks but this would shore up what I see as a major weakness - the left side of the IF.  This team may not need an AS SS but it DOES need a SS who's dependable and with decent range if they're going to make the playoffs.  

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

It would be tough to send Middlebrooks down he has been hitting a little bit.. Even if you would sign Drew  he can not be ready until middle may or end.. The redsox have made their bed now they have to sleep in it.. They are going to have to live with the mistakes at this point in time.

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts