Ben Cherington - The worst GM in all of MLB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Ben Cherington - The worst GM in all of MLB

No only is he an idiot when it comes to making trades, he is resposible for the discord in this organization by thinking that keeping Francona's coaching staff under a new manager would work.
    It's the General manager's responsibility to ensure there is harmony in the organization and Ben has failed miserably. He hires the pitching coach before the manager, a pitching coach who refuses to make visits to the mound, I might add.
    Then he keeps Bogar as bench coach, who has to be on the same page as the manager since he is 2nd in command, and expects things to be hunky dory.

He had to know there would be a loyalty issue by keeping Francona's "boys" on the payroll.
    Frankly, it's clear to me that Cherington did not want Valentine and deliberately set him up to fail.
    There can be no other explanation.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Ben Cherington - The worst GM in all of MLB

Really? And you dont think LL had anything to do with all that?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Alibi, certainly wasn't a stellar start to his tenure.  But, given the implosion of 2011 and the subsequent rubble and confusion he stepped into, I really think we need to give him year 1 before we write him off.  He made no bold moves.  Perhaps that is a bad thing.  But perhaps it is a good thing.  As far as the managerial/coaching thing, a. Valentine was forced on him.  Hard to fault him for that.  That was a confusing time and that confusion was caused from above, so he had to play good employee and fall in line with a bad plan.  I say we see what he does to try and piece together this disaster this winter before we start using superlatives like worst gm in all of baseball.  pretty special, as in especially impossible, situation he stepped into.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Ben Cherington - The worst GM in all of MLB:
    [QUOTE]Really? And you dont think LL had anything to do with all that?
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but I do know that Cherington wanted Sveum, LL wanted BV. Cherington wanted to keep Bogar and Tuck, that's a fact. And Ben wanted Mclure, that's also a fact. I don't know of any other manager hired that was not allowed to pick his pitching coach. So that right there was enough to cause hate and discontent, so Ben is utimately responsible.

And if he remains the GM, this team is going nowhere.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00000001. Show 00000001's posts

He inherited a mess and is now being used as a scapegoat because of inept owners.  I'm not saying he's a great or even good GM, but let the facts be known. The jury is still out.  If he can get the train wreck back on track, then he'll move in the "good" GM direction. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

When the team is winning, we have posters who use superlatives , exaggerations....such as "he's the best hitter of all time!"

When the team is losing , playing bad baseball, we have posters who exaggerate to the extreme...such as "he's the worst GM in all of MLB."

I would caution posters against such extreme labels. It makes you look silly.

I doubt Cherington will ever be " the worst" , but unless given a chance, he will never be "the best." 

Don't we owe him at least an opportunity? 

The old saying is "Rome wasn't built in a day." 

5 months of a MLB season ( with a team mostly made up with holdovers from a disastrous final year of the previous GM ) is not enough time to start labeling the guy "worst GM in all of MLB."

Could we possibly give him at least another year before we start kicking him and blaming him for a monster he didn't create?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

Wow... Can we give the guy a year on the job before we bury him?
    The impatience of some of these 'fans' leaves me befuddled these days...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Once Lucccino and Cherington took over the reins of the Sox I vented on this forum that the sox were doomed because Luccino had all-ready destroyed a couple of franchises and I saw no reason to believe he wouldn't have the same disasterous affect on the Red Sox.I became even more disheartened when a named Cherington as GM or more appropriately chief Luccino gofer.I hoping above that I would be wrong having been a Sox fan since the early 1950's(yes I am getting old but have never lost my passion for my hometown team).Unfortunately itt turns out that my worst fears have been realized and I look for even worse to come as he deals off any and all big contract players and receive precious little in return except for fattening Henry and his own pockets.I can't even watch them play anymore as they break my heart.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

He's looking good right about now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I blame Theo