Ben Cherington thinks this team is a contender

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Ben Cherington thinks this team is a contender

In Response to Ben Cherington thinks this team is a contender:
    [QUOTE]That's what he tells Gordon Edes..... http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/21249/cherington-talks-deadline-sox-odds
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

He doesn't actually "think" that.  He is saying it because they are going to ride out the year with what they have.

It sounds better than "We stink but I am not going to do anything"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

PR is a b**ch

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Ben Cherington thinks this team is a contender:
    [QUOTE]Does "contender" in the thread title mean contender for a wildcard? Last year at this time was St. Louis a contender.  Was Tampa Bay a contender last year during late August? Anything can happen, why so many defeatists?
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

How about the Rockies in 2007? 

They were 51-51 on July 26th.

They were 64-63 on August 23rd and 7.5 games out.

They lost 3 in a row in mid September and were 6.5 out on Sept 15th.

They won 14 of their last 15 and rode their hot streak all the way to the World Series.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ben Cherington thinks this team is a contender : How about the Rockies in 2007?  They were 51-51 on July 26th. They were 64-63 on August 23rd and 7.5 games out. They lost 3 in a row in mid September and were 6.5 out on Sept 15th. They won 14 of their last 15 and rode their hot streak all the way to the World Series.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Rockies in 2007 competed with TOTALLY different level of teams in July, August, and Sept than we are playing right now... We are talking about Tigers, Angels, Rays, surprising O's, AL ERA leader A's, White Sox...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

if more than 2 pitchers can catch kindling ,nevermind "fire", they might "contend".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Is it possible? Sure. But IMO, the Sox roster as currently comprised is not a healthy one by any means. I feel like this gives BC/FO the chance to clean things up and start fresh (relatively speaking). I'm okay with the team signifying that they are out this year if it means improving the team in the long term. However, it doesn't appear that way from BC's words. My greatest fears will come true when Sox give up prospects for some middle of the road pitcher who won't help our potential climb up the standings to reach a one game playoff!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Is it possible? Sure. But IMO, the Sox roster as currently comprised is not a healthy one by any means. I feel like this gives BC/FO the chance to clean things up and start fresh (relatively speaking). I'm okay with the team signifying that they are out this year if it means improving the team in the long term. However, it doesn't appear that way from BC's words. My greatest fears will come true when Sox give up prospects for some middle of the road pitcher who won't help our potential climb up the standings to reach a one game playoff!
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

I very well could be wrong but personally I don't think they are going to do anything.   I think they are going to ride it out and retool in the offseason.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

"Taking Josh Beckett off this team is not necessarily improving things," he said. "We need to add, we need to improve the rotation, if anything -- improve internally or add to the rotation. I think we're sort of stuck in neutral if we start taking guys out of the rotation that are good major league pitchers."
    -BEN CHERRINGTON

Oh boy !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

"There are certainly plenty of guys on our team other teams would like to have. Right now, we're looking to improve, not take away,” he said. "That's our mindset going into this weekend."
    -BEN AGAIN

this weekend...next week is a different matter.

Do these other teams want Lackey , Crawford, Beckett ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

This team needs a Cleaner. Ben is no cleaner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Wow! Can you say delusional?
    So many teams in front of them that would have to die, before the Sox could climb over them.
    This roster needs a purge.
    Unload toxic contracts like Crawford, Dice K, Beckett, Lackey and Gonzalez.
    If the Blue Jays could dump Rios and Wells, why can't the Sox get out from these killed Theo contracts?
    Trading Shopach, Sweeney and Ross are like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    Cherington is over his head, and scared or unable to make a real move.
    Also, far too many left handed hitters for the Sox. This team looks like it was built fo Yankee Stadium, not Fenway Park

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

49-50 this season

56-70 since 09/01/2011

77-85 in our last 162 games

84-87 since the 2011 All Star break

1-6 versus the 2012 Yankees

What makes anyone think that this team is poised to make a playoff run?

A vast majority of people have already give up on the season.

The time is now to re-tool and start over.  Let us start with trading Josh Beckett to the team that will take the largest portion of his salary.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In response to "Re: Ben Cherington thinks this team is a contender": [QUOTE]Wow! Can you say delusional? So many teams in front of them that would have to die, before the Sox could climb over them. This roster needs a purge. Unload toxic contracts like Crawford, Dice K, Beckett, Lackey and Gonzalez. If the Blue Jays could dump Rios and Wells, why can't the Sox get out from these killed Theo contracts? Trading Shopach, Sweeney and Ross are like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. Cherington is over his head, and scared or unable to make a real move. Also, far too many left handed hitters for the Sox. This team looks like it was built fo Yankee Stadium, not Fenway Park Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE] I agree righty. Ben is in over his head. The more I look at the Youk trade the more I cringe. He got fleeced. Why not ride it out with Youk until the deadline and get something more. We need to get rid of contracts to improve this team but he is the new guy on the block so the GMs are going to take advantage all they can.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im sorry Ben but could you explain how removing Morales from the rotation made our starters better?

this guy might just be plain dumb...ever think of that?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

BC is using the same line Sandy Alderson is; you just can't say that to these demanding masses. Of course, nothing's impossible either. If they don't acquire anyone tangible, that should be your answer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

It is key that Ben said, "that is our mindset going into this weekend". He realizes that if the Sox do not sweep or at minimum win 2 of 3 from the Yanks, he will have two days to be a seller....because making the playoffs though possible would be unlikely.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

tom...you dont just wait til the last day and pull off a deal that will bear fruit....this move needed to be made a while ago in regards to pitchers...Ben is a do-nothing GM who actually might be doing us a favor by standing pat based on his Reddick/Youk deals...lets do nothing and then start fresh with a new GM next year - this guys done enough damage for this season

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

I said from the beginning of the season that this guy has no clue about player personnel. Here are just a few of Ben blunders:

1) He essentially ruined Daniel Bard by throwing him into a starter role instead of making it a gradual transition.

2) He traded away our 2012 RF for big LHH OFer who can't hit HRs and an oft-injured closer who won't pitch this year.

3) He traded our best UIF, and potential starting SS (a SH I might add) for a shaky wanna-be closer.

4) He traded away Youk for a guy we DFA'd.

5) Traded Bowden to Cubs for Byrd who was released

6) Traded Scutaro to CO for Mortensen

Only the FA signings have seemed to work out somewhat except for Punto.
    He makes safe, low-risk moves. You've got to break some eggs to make an omelet Ben.

Sections
Shortcuts