Ben Cherington thinks this team is a contender

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Ben Cherington thinks this team is a contender

In Response to Re: Ben Cherington thinks this team is a contender:
    [QUOTE]tom...you dont just wait til the last day and pull off a deal that will bear fruit....this move needed to be made a while ago in regards to pitchers...Ben is a do-nothing GM who actually might be doing us a favor by standing pat based on his Reddick/Youk deals...lets do nothing and then start fresh with a new GM next year - this guys done enough damage for this season
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Interesting.  I respect your viewpoint.  It is clearly shared by many.  But, I just don't see it at all that way.  The Youk move was a cold and necessary paving of the way for the future.  His pick ups of Sweeney and Ross were crucial, especially given the extended absence of Ells and Crawford.  Padilla has anchored the pen.  In my eyes, the only thing he hasn't done is make a deadline move for a good pitcher.  But, there has been no clear moves to make.  If he had given up the farm and then some for freakin' Matt Garza, I would have been sick to my stomach.  And, even if the price came cheap, I am glad he didn't bite on Hanley.  You, of the Poor Clubhouse mindset,  should appreciate that.  Now, if there was an opportunity to give up the farm, the kitchen sink and his mom for King Felix, I would join you in your ranting.  But, I think it is a pretty overblown notion that he has done a poor job somehow.  When a headcase like Grienke is the best option on the market, I would rather be cautious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gruv1145. Show gruv1145's posts

What does he know anyway? Judging by his limited track record he doesn't seem to know too much about anything. Seems pretty dull. Anybody good or dynamic left long ago. Can't imagine reporting to "Larry" on a daily basis and swallowing the stuff that "Larry" shovels. Does he have a weekly quota of bricks he has to sell? I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this way or thinks that nothing will be done until they get a real GM.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]tom...you dont just wait til the last day and pull off a deal that will bear fruit....this move needed to be made a while ago in regards to pitchers...Ben is a do-nothing GM who actually might be doing us a favor by standing pat based on his Reddick/Youk deals...lets do nothing and then start fresh with a new GM next year - this guys done enough damage for this season
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Geo,

I agree with you, but I was insinuating that until this weekends games are fnished, Ben doesnt know whether to be buyers or sellers...he seems blind to what this team currently is. If we were to sweep the Yanks, he would probabbly be a buyer, thinking that would mean we are serious WC contenders(prob not the case with our SP), if we lost 2 of 3 or get swept, he will be a seller....since he will be waiting so long, he is sure to get less or give more value than he should....I had some faith in the organization, but I may have overestimated them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]I said from the beginning of the season that this guy has no clue about player personnel. Here are just a few of Ben blunders: 1) He essentially ruined Daniel Bard by throwing him into a starter role instead of making it a gradual transition. 2) He traded away our 2012 RF for big LHH OFer who can't hit HRs and an oft-injured closer who won't pitch this year. 3) He traded our best UIF, and potential starting SS (a SH I might add) for a shaky wanna-be closer. 4) He traded away Youk for a guy we DFA'd. 5) Traded Bowden to Cubs for Byrd who was released 6) Traded Scutaro to CO for Mortensen Only the FA signings have seemed to work out somewhat except for Punto. He makes safe, low-risk moves. You've got to break some eggs to make an omelet Ben.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

Nice list Harv, but I cant kill him for some of the trades, because many looked good at the time.....I can agree and get on him for Bard....first for taking one of the top guys at his role in MLB and trying to change him and 2) then for destroying his confidence by demoting him....as unsuccessful as he was as a Starter, he didnt deserve to be demoted....not after what he had done in the past years. Not good for him and terrible for the team and for his value as a trade chip even if they didnt want him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]I said from the beginning of the season that this guy has no clue about player personnel. Here are just a few of Ben blunders: 1) He essentially ruined Daniel Bard by throwing him into a starter role instead of making it a gradual transition. 2) He traded away our 2012 RF for big LHH OFer who can't hit HRs and an oft-injured closer who won't pitch this year. 3) He traded our best UIF, and potential starting SS (a SH I might add) for a shaky wanna-be closer. 4) He traded away Youk for a guy we DFA'd. 5) Traded Bowden to Cubs for Byrd who was released 6) Traded Scutaro to CO for Mortensen Only the FA signings have seemed to work out somewhat except for Punto. He makes safe, low-risk moves. You've got to break some eggs to make an omelet Ben.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

I have yet to read anyone refute what you have just written...what a nightmare...and of course stood pat with those self-congratulatory white trashers in the club house for another lost year...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Many on the forum said that Youk was over the hill, washed up, injury prone, faking his injuries, pouting on the bench, the squealer last Sept., and a cancer in the clubhouse. Now the same posters are blaming Ben for trading him?
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

maybe it was the GM's job to tell youky that he wasnt going anywhere and to honor his contract??? the path of least resistence i guess...he wont back up valentine and he wont stand up for disciplining players

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Tell me a GM with the extra WC that doesn't think they are a contender? They all are in the mediocre American Legaue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

just a garbage year for FA's too.....if I was Ben I would pickup some of the FA bullpen guys that are out there right now....only quality pitching right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]What does he know anyway? Judging by his limited track record he doesn't seem to know too much about anything. Seems pretty dull. Anybody good or dynamic left long ago. Can't imagine reporting to "Larry" on a daily basis and swallowing the stuff that "Larry" shovels. Does he have a weekly quota of bricks he has to sell? I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this way or thinks that nothing will be done until they get a real GM.
    Posted by gruv1145[/QUOTE]

My guess is that Ben Cherington, who has worked in the Sox Front Office since the Dan Duquette era and has had significant input into many of the personnel moves the Sox have made over the last decade or so, will not panic, unlike most of the fans on this board. 

Fans scream, "Make a trade! Make a trade!" then post a ridiculous trade proposal that makes zero sense and somehow they seem shocked that Ben couldn't pull off the deal. 

If the Sox DO trade prospects for a "Greinke" type, those same fans who were begging for the deal to get done will be killing the Front Office for the next 5 years when the prospects develop into all-stars and Greinke is spending more time at Trembling Hills than he is on the mound, as the Sox pay him 120 million. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinFan1982. Show BostonBruinFan1982's posts

Ortiz being out doesn't help either, Ben should deal beckett to a conteder for 2 young starters. Look at how good the A's develop pitching. Also the Sox should have kept Papelbaum...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Ortiz being out doesn't help either, Ben should deal beckett to a conteder for 2 young starters. Look at how good the A's develop pitching. Also the Sox should have kept Papelbaum...
    Posted by BostonBruinFan1982[/QUOTE]
    What contender will trade two young starters for Josh Beckett?

That doesn't make any sense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Ben cant state the obvious.  Management wants people to figure this out for themselves so they dont stop attending games and buying gear, etc.