Ben Cherington's news conference-Lackey will undergo Tommy John surgery-back again in 2013!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Ben Cherington's news conference

In Response to Ben Cherington's news conference:
    Are you satisfied with Ben and Larry's comments; are you  hoping for more difficult questions from the press?
    Posted by 2004Idiots

i think Ben acknowledged the fact our FA signings have been weak under Theo and that there are existing players who can't wait to start the 2012 season.  He had more experience than Theo then "when hired as GM" and in my opinion will correct his mistakes now.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Ben Cherington's news conference; Lackey will undergo Tommy John Surgery!

In Response to Re: Ben Cherington's news conference; Lackey will undergo Tommy John Surgery!:
    Cherington:Says Strong top of the rotation; only interested in adding pitching depth. Believes in buying low acquisitions like Aceves. Disagree; I want a true top of a rotation starter. not a little extra pitching.  
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Fine to disagree.  But I am interested to know where and how you are getting this "true top of the rotation starter".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Ben Cherington's news conference; Lackey will undergo Tommy John Surgery!:
    In Response to Re: Ben Cherington's news conference; Lackey will undergo Tommy John Surgery! : Fine to disagree.  But I am interested to know where and how you are getting this "true top of the rotation starter".
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

CJ Wilson is a free Agent.....probably not a true number 1, but he was Texas' #1.....I wouldnt overpay for him like they did with lackey, but he would be a nice addition to the current rotation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Ben Cherington's news conference-Lackey will undergo Tommy John surgery-back again in 2013!

In Response to Re: Ben Cherington's news conference-Lackey will undergo Tommy John surgery-back again in 2013!:
    Space: I would do my due dilgence and explore trading with Seattle for Felix Hernandez and also bid for Yu Darvish if he is available.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

On Felix:  Sure, would love to have the King.  But, I can't even put together in my mind the combo of prospects and/or big club guys it would take to get that done.  If it was realistic, I love it.  lets do it.  Money be dammed.

On Yu:  yeaaah.  I'm guessing most people inside the club and fans too might balk at the projected posting fee ... the whole history lesson thing ... and Yu isn't even the proven commodity that Matsuzaka was.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Ben Cherington's news conference-Lackey will undergo Tommy John surgery-back again in 2013!

In Response to Re: Ben Cherington's news conference-Lackey will undergo Tommy John surgery-back again in 2013!:
    I don't like this buy low acquisitions. I lived through that with Dan Duquette.First try to acquire a top of the rotation starter with a bulldog mentality.
    Posted by 2004Idiots
    You mean buy low acquisitions like Pedro Martinez and Manny Ramirez?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Ben Cherington's news conference; Lackey will undergo Tommy John Surgery! : CJ Wilson is a free Agent.....probably not a true number 1, but he was Texas' #1.....I wouldnt overpay for him like they did with lackey, but he would be a nice addition to the current rotation.
    Posted by tomnev

I agree.  I like Wilson a lot.  And maybe his mediocre post season will drive his price down a little.  But, I doubt it.  Given the dearth of quality starters on the market, CJ is headed for a monster payday.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

As far as Lackey having TJ surgery, that's good news. There was clearly something wrong with him this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Ben Cherington's news conference; Lackey will undergo Tommy John Surgery! : CJ Wilson is a free Agent.....probably not a true number 1, but he was Texas' #1.....I wouldnt overpay for him like they did with lackey, but he would be a nice addition to the current rotation.
    Posted by tomnev

CJ Wilson is 31 years old, he has had 2 good, not great, seasons.  He has been very, very ordinary in this post-season.  He will cost Lackey type money.  He is not a #1.  Stay away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tommy John is the right move and frees Cherington and the new manager from having to figure out how to use Lackey.  Now the Sox know they need two more starters, with the very real possibility (not not a certainty) one could be Aceves.  Right now I don't think another should be Wake, Miller, or Weiland, but of course spring training may say different. 

And the other issue is of course keeping as much of this year's lineup as makes sense because the Sox did have a very good offense this year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Hopefully the Sox have an Insurance Policy on LAckey which could offset some of the costs of obtaining a #1.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

There's certainly an argument to not going for a top of the rotation guy. It'd cost a lot of money, talented players/prospects, or both. And in a perfect world, they have a solid top 3 in Beckett/Lester/Buchholz.

The problem is see with that is that Beckett's supposed to be the ace and you have no idea which Beckett is showing up in the spring or how long that Beckett will hang around during the season. If the conditioning, performance and results are there with those three, they don't need a front end guy. It's just not a given it will be.

Aceves was their most reliable arm in the bullpen last year. What if he doesn't have the same success as a starter? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Both Pedro Martinez and Curt Schilling had a bulldog mentality when they came on the pitching mound. Does Beckett, Lester or Buchholz have it?
    Posted by 2004Idiots
    My point was that you were equating the Duquette years with failed low cost signings, and that Duke brought in both Pedro and Manny.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Both Pedro Martinez and Curt Schilling had a bulldog mentality when they came on the pitching mound. Does Beckett, Lester or Buchholz have it?
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Everyone was quoting Lackey's bulldog mentality when he was signed look how that turned out so far?

Cherington is right at the moment that buy low is probably the best to go for this season because there are no top of the line starters available, any acquisition made this offseason will likely be an overpay for an ordinary player unless CC opts out of his contract with New York.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Hatfields and McCoys debating the Duquette vs Epstein property line again? When does this feud end. Why not shoot each other, burn down your houses and barns and release the cattle, and be done with it?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Part of what cracks me up about cliches like "bull dog" mentality is that this was clearly part of the perception of John lackey before he came to Boston. And honestly, it takes a real bulldog not to say at some point sooner than the end of the season that it was time to go see Dr. Yoccum when he was getting crushed every start. It is why he never wanted to come out of game.

Somewhere along the line BTW just how good Beckett's 2011 season got lost in a cuple of tough starts at the end of the season and talk of brews and Popeye's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Hopefully the Sox have an Insurance Policy on LAckey which could offset some of the costs of obtaining a #1.
    Posted by tomnev

I assume John Lackey's $15.25 million annual salary still counts against the luxury tax threshold.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

We also know that Lackey's poor performance was caused by injury and not by Theo and Tito as so many forum morons wrongly inferred. Same with Clement.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

but why didn't the medical staff see all this???????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Isn't buying low like with Aceves exactly what Theo did to add pitching depth?  Isn't that exactly the philosophy behind Miller, Brad Penny, and a bunch of other pitching free agents that were deemd failures by Epstein?

The reason they collapsed in September was because they had no starting pitching depth as a result of using the "buy low" strategy.

No Dice K, No Lackey, leaving Beckett, Lester and Buch.  If one of those 3 gets hurt next season, then they'll have a nother collapse.

All of this stuff about Tito, beer and chicken, lack of chemistry, etc., is just nonsense created by the media. They collapsed because of a relying of bargain basement pitchers and reclamation projects for Starting pitching depth.

But then again, what else you going to do with your payroll is already $170 million and you only have 3 major league starting pitchers in the entire organization.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I blame Ben Cherington for not making it to the WS in 2012 & 2013 already.

J/K heres to hoping the guy does good.

John Lackey could very well come back stronger from TJ surgery and be a decent pitcher again in 2013, regardless he is out of the rotation for 2012 which at this point....make's em better. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Ben Cherington's news conference-Lackey will undergo Tommy John surgery-back again in 2013! : I assume John Lackey's $15.25 million annual salary still counts against the luxury tax threshold.
    Posted by hill55

i am sure it does, but if insured and you can get back 10-12 million of the $15mil....easier to pay that luxury tax.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Space: I would do my due dilgence and explore trading with Seattle for Felix Hernandez and also bid for Yu Darvish if he is available.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

So Yu Darvish is going to be a top of the rotation starter? Just like DiceK?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Ben says core of pitching staff returning is good; doesn't feel it makes sense to get top of a rotation pitcher. Wants to acquire pitching for the back of the rotation. He said we have 1 through 3 starting pitchers. He wants competion at the back of the rotation. He said Aceves was getting bang for your buck.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Good. I hope that means he has no interest in Tim Wakefield. Let's hope that era is over.

Sections
Shortcuts