Ben has to get some SP!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Ben has to get some SP!

With Lester likely to stay, lackey coming off TJ, and Buchholz, the Sox need a couple of guys to replace Beckett and Diice-K. There are 5 pretty good FAs and their 2012 Salaries, that I would consider in this order:

McCarthy  4.28M

Greinke  13.5M

Shields   7.0M

A. Sanchez  8.0M

E. Jackson  11.0M

I'll add Villanueva as a 6th. Cheap at 2.27M with a decent WHIP and 122 Ks in 125 IPs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: Ben has to get some SP!

In response to Alibiike's comment:

With Lester likely to stay, lackey coming off TJ, and Buchholz, the Sox need a couple of guys to replace Beckett and Diice-K. There are 5 pretty good FAs and their 2012 Salaries, that I would consider in this order:

McCarthy  4.28M

Greinke  13.5M

Shields   7.0M

A. Sanchez  8.0M

E. Jackson  11.0M

I'll add Villanueva as a 6th. Cheap at 2.27M with a decent WHIP and 122 Ks in 125 IPs.

Shields is best pitcher of above but believe Rays have an option and doubt the would like to see w/ RS, probably would sign & trade if anything just to control where he goes. McCarthy coming off injury filled season, but like if $ is right, has pitched well vs. AL East. Greinke/Boston BAD match. Sanchez / Jackson only if price came down. Big $ for bad performance is what got RS where they are.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

McCarthy  4.28M

Greinke  13.5M

Shields   7.0M

A. Sanchez  8.0M

E. Jackson  11.0M

I believe Jake Peavey is also available.  He would be #1 on my list and worth at least what Lackey got.  Sanchez would be my second choice.  And I would also try to work out a trade for Justin Masterson.  With Lackey, Lester, Buchholz, Morales and Doubront (if he is not traded to get Masterson) you would have plenty of depth and potential to fill out a good (if not spectacular) starting 5 and have the neccessary reserves to fill in for the inevitable trip(s) to the DL.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Masterson? really? LHH kill him, always have. He can eat some innings but hasnt got any better. 2012 numbers were awful...Just curious, who would you trade for this gem who will finally be arb eligible in 2013 and a FA in 2015?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Gee, you'd pay a whopping $13.5 mill for Greinke.  Might as well say you would not be in on Greinke.  He's been making $13.5mill for the past 2 seasons and something tells me he wants some sort of raise this year. 

And he'll have bricks thrown through his living room window that have been wrapped in offers much greater than $13.5mill.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Not sure how you can go on 2012 paychecks...It would be more realistic to post what they are expected to earn or be offered going forward.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Not sure how you can go on 2012 paychecks...It would be more realistic to post what they are expected to earn or be offered going forward.

Hard to say what they will make, whatever teams are willing to spend I suppose. I just showed their 2012 salaries as a baseline.

For the money, McCarthy is proabably the best value since he's coming off injury and not likely to get that big a raise. Jackson will probably stay about the same or a little better. I have a feeling about Villanueva. I think he's going to be outstanding next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

McCarthy  4.28M

Greinke  13.5M

Shields   7.0M

A. Sanchez  8.0M

E. Jackson  11.0M

You named three guys that will, barring injury, be 3/5 of the starting rotation.

Are you planning on sending Dubront to the 'pen?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[/QUOTE]

I believe Jake Peavey is also available.  He would be #1 on my list and worth at least what Lackey got.  Sanchez would be my second choice.  And I would also try to work out a trade for Justin Masterson.  With Lackey, Lester, Buchholz, Morales and Doubront (if he is not traded to get Masterson) you would have plenty of depth and potential to fill out a good (if not spectacular) starting 5 and have the neccessary reserves to fill in for the inevitable trip(s) to the DL.

[/QUOTE]

I fail to see the fascination with Masterson. As I posted the other day he's been in Cleveland for four year, three very mediocre years with only 2011 being decent. This year his record was 11-15 with 206 inning pitched with a 4.93 era, with 88 bbs, 212 hits and a 1.45whip. About the only positives are that he's still young and can eat innings but I think we can do much better. As for Doubrant involved in a trade for Masterson I'd rather keep Doubrant who is younger at 24.

Hetch 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I would trade Doubront for Masterson.  If the Sox also added Peavy and Sanchez, Masterson would serve as the spot starter/long reliever you lose if/when Padilla is not re-signed.

Doubront gets lit up with HRs by RHH, Masterson by LHH.  In Fenway, unless and until the RF fence is moved in, I would rather have a RHer giving up long fly balls to LHH than the opposite.  Plus, Masterson has a FB that has as much juice on it as Doubront, and a sinker that really saws off RHH bats.  The fact that he can give you as many innings as any pitcher the Sox have had over the last 2 seasons makes him an upgrade over Doubront to me.  But I understand the hesitation you express.  I only want Masterson as part of an almost complete overhaul.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Kuroda will also be a free agent after this season.  

I thought he would struggle in the AL but he did very well for the Yankees.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Kuroda will also be a free agent after this season.  

I thought he would struggle in the AL but he did very well for the Yankees.  

With all the injuries the Yankees had with their top minor league pitchers, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yankees resign Kuroda.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I was all for signing Kuroda last off-season.  And I would still support a 2-year plus option type of deal.  He would easily be the #3 starter on this team, and a very good #4 or 5 going forward.  But I have to believe the Yanks will re-sign him.  They would be idiots not to, IMO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

Starting pitching is a must!... Shields and Jackson would work!... Ca mon Ben!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why the world Boston would trade Doubront for Matterson?  Matterson have been on the decline while Doubront was the team best pitcher other than Bucholtz.

It is not happening.

Boston is more likely go after hard at Shield, or trade for Josh Johnson or Felix.  If none of these pitchers are available, Boston is going to be in a trouble for next season.

That is why they need to go hard after talent starting pitchers like the one I mentioned above

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

no matter which decent pitcher you go after you're gonna end up in a bidding war as a free agent or an overpay in prospects if you go via the trade route.....that's the facts of life circa 2012

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It would also be nice if the Red Sox can get Garza from the Cubs.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

dont want Garza.  Shield is a much better pitcher than Garza!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

dont want Garza.  Shield is a much better pitcher than Garza!!

I actually want both Shield and Garza.  lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Boston is more likely go after hard at Shield, or trade for Josh Johnson or Felix.

The Seattle Mariners are working on an extension for Felix Hernandez and a deal might be done around the World Series, according to an anonymous source cited in this tweet from columnist Jason Churchill:

https://twitter.com/ProspectInsider/status/255915232881438720

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Boston is more likely go after hard at Shield, or trade for Josh Johnson or Felix.

The Seattle Mariners are working on an extension for Felix Hernandez and a deal might be done around the World Series, according to an anonymous source cited in this tweet from columnist Jason Churchill:

https://twitter.com/ProspectInsider/status/255915232881438720

Once they agree on the extension, the "Trade for Felix Hernandez" threads will hopefully be cut back to 2 or 3 a week...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts