Ben is an idiot GM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Ben is an idiot GM

Can someone explain to me the logic of lowballing an icon like papi for a TWO YEAR contract? What is to be gained? 5 Million? Apparently to Ben that is the magic number that allowed him to justify letting Paplebon walk, trading marco for, and now papi....

Ben hires Farrell (who i am not happy about considering his record and history as Franconas coat checker) but he is the antiValentine - he brings good vibes to a team that needs him. I think thats important for at least next season...so what does he do with this new direction & goodwill? He squanders it on the Papi talks....even if he ends up signing him he has lost momentum/support of all the players...if the sox cant respect papi and value him, who do they value?  Even worse, papi signs elsewhere....what is the message there to the fans and players? Papi was productive and very much in shape and motivated last yr. He was one of the few players to suck it up and support the manager (or at least not whine like a biotch).....im not one for rewarding past heroics, but Papi is asking for two years, not twenty....wake up gentle ben...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Re: Ben is an idiot GM

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can someone explain to me the logic of lowballing an icon like papi for a TWO YEAR contract? What is to be gained? 5 Million? Apparently to Ben that is the magic number that allowed him to justify letting Paplebon walk, trading marco for, and now papi....

Ben hires Farrell (who i am not happy about considering his record and history as Franconas coat checker) but he is the antiValentine - he brings good vibes to a team that needs him. I think thats important for at least next season...so what does he do with goodwill? He squanders it on the Papi talks....even if he ends up signing him he has lost momentum/support of all the players...if the sox cant respect papi and value him, who do they value?  Even worse, papi signs elsewhere....what is the message there to the fans and players? Papi was productive and very much in shape and motivated last yr. He was one of the few players to suck it up and support the manager (or at least not whine like a biotch).....im not one for rewarding past heroics, but Papi is asking for two years, not twenty....wake up gentle ben...

[/QUOTE]

Lets Just See What Happens At The Midnight Hour........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

Ben hires Farrell (who i am not happy about considering his record and history as Franconas coat checker) but he is the antiValentine - he brings good vibes to a team that needs him. I think thats important for at least next season...so what does he do with this new direction & goodwill? He squanders it on the Papi talks....even if he ends up signing him he has lost momentum/support of all the players...if the sox cant respect papi and value him, who do they value?  Even worse, papi signs elsewhere....what is the message there to the fans and players? Papi was productive and very much in shape and motivated last yr. He was one of the few players to suck it up and support the manager (or at least not whine like a biotch).....im not one for rewarding past heroics, but Papi is asking for two years, not twenty....wake up gentle ben...

[/QUOTE]

ugh.  nobody is lowballing anyone.  This is negotiation, genius.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ugh.  nobody is lowballing anyone.  This is negotiation, genius.  

[/QUOTE]

no Space, the genius is our GM who turns everything gold into lead..a reverse alchemist

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now I'm convinced you are just a sh*t stirrer, because you can't possibly be this ignorant.  Ortiz...isn't...going...anywhere! How many more "Ortiz" posts do we need? I guess you were never involved in the contract negotions for the teacher's union.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now I'm convinced you are just a sh*t stirrer, because you can't possibly be this ignorant.  Ortiz...isn't...going...anywhere! How many more "Ortiz" posts do we need? I guess you were never involved in the contract negotions for the teacher's union.

[/QUOTE]
    SHIT STIRRER ManUtd-1-1.jpg photoThis..........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I suppose you have inside information of the Sox actual offer to papi to be so sure they "lowballed" him...This is how the negotiation process works...They go high, we go low and then we meet in the middle...Its a pretty simple concept. Im with Jasko on this one...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

It's funny how so many on this forum side with management over the player. Ortiz deserves to retire a Sox, and no one should want him to go elsewhwere.
    I beleive the Sox owe him a debt of grattitude and should offer him a THREE year deal at $30M. that's only 5M more than he's asking for two, and we get him another year. As a DH, he will still be able to hit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's funny how so many on this forum side with management over the player. Ortiz deserves to retire a Sox, and no one should want him to go elsewhwere.
    I beleive the Sox owe him a debt of grattitude and should offer him a THREE year deal at $30M. that's only 5M more than he's asking for two, and we get him another year. As a DH, he will still be able to hit.

[/QUOTE]
    Agree

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Its funny how some people assume that management is somehow trying to lowball Ortiz when there is absolutely no eveidence to that effect, other than the deal wasn't consumated instantly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im with you on signing Ortiz. Ive said all along I would offer him 2/25, which is what he wanted last year and what I wanted them to do last year. But Im not jumping to any conclusions on what was offered and what wasnt. None of us really know for sure. This is how the negotiation process goes. Bottom line is a deal that makes both sides happy will get done IMO.

What I dont get is all the hatred toward BC. He came into a train wreck. A budget that was maxed out and had little room to do anything. Now he has the room and I think we should wait and see what moves are made this winter and what the team looks like heading into ST. I just get a kick out of people saying that anybody can do a better job then our GM...As if its an easy job...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think geo's bitter because his boy Bobby V turned out to be such a historically bad manager. Although he has been a bit of a whiner for as long as I've been reading his posts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

No one owes Papi anything.  He got 14 million last year, that's what he was owed.  And he only played half a year.   Say "Mike Lowell" who was a great team guy and helped us win a world series--how was it at the end of his tenure--after he could no longer play effectively?  If Papi is signed, fine.  If not it may be because the RS should go in another direction and actually would be better for it in the long run. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im with you on signing Ortiz. Ive said all along I would offer him 2/25, which is what he wanted last year and what I wanted them to do last year. But Im not jumping to any conclusions on what was offered and what wasnt. None of us really know for sure. This is how the negotiation process goes. Bottom line is a deal that makes both sides happy will get done IMO.

What I dont get is all the hatred toward BC. He came into a train wreck. A budget that was maxed out and had little room to do anything. Now he has the room and I think we should wait and see what moves are made this winter and what the team looks like heading into ST. I just get a kick out of people saying that anybody can do a better job then our GM...As if its an easy job...

[/QUOTE]

No, I'm sure its very difficult trying to deal with 29 other GMs, but you have to admit, he hasn't made any memorable trades.
    Here's the problem, because he is so green, the other GMs really have him over a barrel and I really think he needs a mentor to help him through these negotiations. Don't know if he has one, but he strikes me as the kind of person who would not admit to needing help.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

The 2013 team needs a good chemistry.  Letting Papi walk would have a negative consequence on formulating that chemistry, imo.  Think they will compromise and Papi will stay, but just hate to see the process take longer than it needs to.  Settle it and move on.  Spare us all the pucker factor over this.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

To no one's surprise, the Red Sox have made the qualifying offer of $13.3 million to David Ortiz, according to this tweet from Alex Speier at WEEI:

https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/264470541648424960

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, I'm sure its very difficult trying to deal with 29 other GMs, but you have to admit, he hasn't made any memorable trades.
    Here's the problem, because he is so green, the other GMs really have him over a barrel and I really think he needs a mentor to help him through these negotiations. Don't know if he has one, but he strikes me as the kind of person who would not admit to needing help.

[/QUOTE]

Thats the thing Ike.  he is not 'green'.  He is new to pulling the trigger, ok.  But he has been in the game for a long time and has been on the inside of negotiations.  No one has him over a barrel.  And what strikes you about him as not being able to admit needing help?  Strikes me just the opposite:  low key, no inflated ego, team player.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont think hes as "green" as people think. Yes, hes new to the GM position, but has a ton of experience in baseball operations. from scouting and development to the front office. He also played and was a pitcher, so he knows the game from a players view and the business end of it. As far as not making any memorable trades...Like I said, now that the mess has been cleaned, he has a little room to move and the finances to do things, unlike this past year, we will see what BC is made of rebuilding this team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Signing Big Papi is a risk.......  If he goes, it won't break my heart........  That is a tough injury for a 36-42 250lb baseball player !!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox and David Ortiz are "very close" to a deal, according to this tweet from Rob Bradford of WEEI:

https://twitter.com/bradfo/status/264483885524606976

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

why is this even reaching the deadline stage? dumb....its a two yr deal...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cherrington has a tough decision since multyear contracts are guaranteed. What if he is signed for three years and blows out his achiles after two months? RSN demands that Ben be perfect and how can he guarantee perfection?

[/QUOTE]

I agree.....Baseball is a business and we need a good GM to make good solid management decisions.  I hope the days of Theo are gone.  Well at least his last couple years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

signing papi for two years 25 mil is an EASY decision..only a GM frozen by indecision (ben's MO) would not pull the trigger here

Sections
Shortcuts