Ben, please embrace their youth movement for 2013!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Ben, please embrace their youth movement for 2013!

In response to EnchhiladaT's comment:

Your team is boring! It is a 4th place team with a ceiling of 3rd. No playoffs for you.

Secretely you know that. But why not bring excitement to Red Sox Nation. Embrace the youth movement. Put the best 25 players on the field.  Let Jackie Bradley, Allen Webster, and Rubby De La Rosa an opportunity to flourish in the majors.

Bradley is not that young. Drafted in 2011, he was not coming out of high school but the University of South Carolina. On April 19, 2013, Bradley will turn 23. That's older than 2012 American League MVP runner-up Mike Trout.

It is not as if the Red Sox have an outfield consisting of can't miss all stars. Jonny Gomes is used to a platoon role, but this season he's slated to start in left.

Shane Victorino has had a nice career, but he's coming off a down year and is no lock to return to the level of production he had in his best years.

There's no reason for Bradley to play in the minors if he is ready to play in the majors.

In addition, you can never have too much pitching; if both Allen Webster and Rubby De La Rosa continue to  show the ability to excel at the big-league level, then this year might be a good time to put them in the bullpen. Can you imagine how better this bullpen will be with those two coming in the late innings throwing at near 100mph plus their plus secondary pitches. And hopefully Doubront looks good in the spring so Ben can trade him and put Webster in the rotation.   

Something for Ben to ponder now that the Red Sox have these prospects who could be ready to excel in the majors, and the franchise isn't burdened by sky-high expectations or a lineup stocked with annual MVP candidates. This team presently is barren/blah/dullish. 

Maybe the time is right for a youth movement. Bring on the excitement!

sounds right....since these new players were signed with short terms in mind, the emphasis should be on developing young players....the old model of yo-yoing the rookies or leaving them languishing in the minors ala Lars/Reddick etc needs to be ended....I think that was even referenced by the Sox brass this year....I have no prblem with watching the Sox struggle to reach .500 as long as I can see Iggy, Pedro C, Will, RDLR, B & B play most games - in fact most of us critics have been saying tha since the 2011 disaster...no pressure - just enjoy the kids i say and develop them as mlb players

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Trout had mre at bats above A-ball in 2011 than Bradley has had so far in his career.   Bradley might be older than Trout but he is alot less experienced, and also a lot less successful.  After all, Bradley has only had 615 plate appearances in his career, and 346 of them were in A ball.

And really, a few games in ST, when rookies are trying to make an impression, whereas contracted veterans are simply going through the moptions to get loose, are not actually representative of who is better.   Gomes is a role player, but it is a role he excels in like few others in MLB.  I am not so sure he starts against RHP too often, as the Sox have numerous options to stat over him.  Depth charts around the internet are mostly making ediucated guesses, but have no more say than you or me.

The Sox might not be putting your favored roster on the field, but who are these powerhouses that are slotted to take over the AL East?  Toronto?  Sure they made som great additions, but they only won 4 more games than Boston last year, and did not even have the exuse of shipping half their lineup to the NL with a quarter of the season to go.  Baltimore?  They did make the post-season, but if you do not like a rotation lead by Lester and Buchholz, I do not see how one lead by Jason Hammel excites you.   New York?  They won last year and went to the ALCS, but they are maintaining status quo.  Tampa?  Great SP, but their offense seems to live and die with Evan Longoria, who is not know n for his health.  Oh, and much like Boston, their best rookie (Wil Myers) appears headed for the minors to start the season.

The AL East is wide open.  And the Sox will use kids this year.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Your team is boring! It is a 4th place team with a ceiling of 3rd. No playoffs for you.

Secretely you know that. But why not bring excitement to Red Sox Nation. Embrace the youth movement. Put the best 25 players on the field.  Let Jackie Bradley, Allen Webster, and Rubby De La Rosa an opportunity to flourish in the majors.

Bradley is not that young. Drafted in 2011, he was not coming out of high school but the University of South Carolina. On April 19, 2013, Bradley will turn 23. That's older than 2012 American League MVP runner-up Mike Trout.

It is not as if the Red Sox have an outfield consisting of can't miss all stars. Jonny Gomes is used to a platoon role, but this season he's slated to start in left.

Shane Victorino has had a nice career, but he's coming off a down year and is no lock to return to the level of production he had in his best years.

There's no reason for Bradley to play in the minors if he is ready to play in the majors.

In addition, you can never have too much pitching; if both Allen Webster and Rubby De La Rosa continue to  show the ability to excel at the big-league level, then this year might be a good time to put them in the bullpen. Can you imagine how better this bullpen will be with those two coming in the late innings throwing at near 100mph plus their plus secondary pitches. And hopefully Doubront looks good in the spring so Ben can trade him and put Webster in the rotation.   

Something for Ben to ponder now that the Red Sox have these prospects who could be ready to excel in the majors, and the franchise isn't burdened by sky-high expectations or a lineup stocked with annual MVP candidates. This team presently is barren/blah/dullish. 

Maybe the time is right for a youth movement. Bring on the excitement!

And your mockery of Burrito is tiresome. C'mon idiots, man up and get your own moniker if you want to post in this forum.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

sounds right....since these new players were signed with short terms in mind, the emphasis should be on developing young players....the old model of yo-yoing the rookies or leaving them languishing in the minors ala Lars/Reddick etc needs to be ended....I think that was even referenced by the Sox brass this year....I have no prblem with watching the Sox struggle to reach .500 as long as I can see Iggy, Pedro C, Will, RDLR, B & B play most games - in fact most of us critics have been saying tha since the 2011 disaster...no pressure - just enjoy the kids i say and develop them as mlb players

The idea behind long-term success is to have a road map, so that younger kids replace veterans that get too expensive.  Just to address the ones you named-

Iglesias-Hit .118.  There are probably 20 threads in here asking that we dump him.  I beleive he will be a good player, but it is inconceivalbe to think he doesn't need a full season in AAA.

Pedro C.-Probably will never be a starter.

DLR-Coming off TJS.  Innings will be limited.

Barnes-Hasn't even hit the AA level.

Bradley-229 ABs at AA, none at AAA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In addition, you can never have too much pitching; if both Allen Webster and Rubby De La Rosa continue to  show the ability to excel at the big-league level, then this year might be a good time to put them in the bullpen. Can you imagine how better this bullpen will be with those two coming in the late innings throwing at near 100mph plus their plus secondary pitches. 

So the suggestion is that they replace the old guys like Tazawa?  The guy will the blazing fastball and the 1.43 ERA?  Seriously?

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Bradley is hitting the ball to all fields, playing well defensively and showing why he’s one of Boston’s top prospects; put him on the 25 man roster Ben, you won't regret it!

To replace Ells in CF?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Starters

RH Clay Buchholz

LHn Jon Lester

RH Ryan Dempster

LH Felix Doubront

RH John Lackey

Bullpen

RH Joel Hanrahan

RH Andrew Bailey

RH Junichi Tazawa

RH Koji Uehara

LH Andrew Miller

RH Allen Webster

RH Rubby De La Rosa

So you're dropping Morales, Breslow, and our best long guy in Aceves, so that Webster and DLR can converted to mop up guys?  Not to mention only one lefty in the BP?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The Angels' 2002 bullpen, with closer Troy Percival, setup men Francisco Rodriguez and Brendan Donnelly, middle reliever Ben Weber and long relievers Scott Schoeneweis and Scot Shields, was dominant during the team's run to the World Series championship, often shutting down opponents from the fifth or sixth inning on. In fact Rodriguez, then a 20-year-old phenom whose wicked fastball-slider combination made him virtually untouchable in the postseason, wasn't called up to the big leagues until mid-September. -  Will this bullpen do the same for the Sox:

Bullpen

RH Joel Hanrahan

RH Andrew Bailey

RH Junichi Tazawa

RH Koji Uehara

LH Andrew Miller

RH Allen Webster

RH Rubby De La Rosa

You do know that, if you replace Webster and DLR's projected numbers with Morales and Breslow, there won't be a bit of a difference in the BP ERA?  I like the kids, but we aren't converting them to back-end relievers, to take the place of two other good relievers, having only one lefty in the BP, and burning through their control years, for no practical gain whatsoever.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

go root for the cubs

I feel so bad for Steve Bartman.  Does the guy still live and work in Chicago?

If I pulled a Steve Bartman at Fenway Park, then I would immediately move to Alaska.  LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ive seen 2  different enchhilada's the last week. Spelled differently of course..

Anyway, I think the OP's ideas are not well thought out and hes just trolling...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ive seen 2  different enchhilada's the last week. Spelled differently of course..

Anyway, I think the OP's ideas are not well thought out and hes just trolling...

More like spamming. He and Bill-806 have a conspiracy to take over the front page.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Bradley is hitting the ball to all fields, playing well defensively and showing why he’s one of Boston’s top prospects; put him on the 25 man roster Ben, you won't regret it!

There is no reason to bring up Bradley this year. He should be at the AAA level until the date arrives where he is under team control for that extra year if he is brought up. This is a rebuilding year. There is no way around it. With a starting rotation headed up by Lester and with Lackey and Doubront bringing up the caboose we will be a fourth place team, if that. Keep the kids in the minors this year and make sure they are ready for a run in 2015.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

While I tend to agree with the sentiment, you are off on several counts.

JBJ needs daily playing time, and needs to be kept in the minors until the date where we ensure the extra year of team control.  Having said that, if mgmt comes to the conclusion that we could make a run by platooning JBJ with Gomes, I'd be all for it!  It would be exciting as hell.

As for DeLaRossa.  He needs to get stretched out for the SR!  This kid is so clearly geared for the starting rotation!!!!!  NOT the BP.  Besides, the BP is VERY STRONG and does not need to be shored up!

Same for Webster.

I like the team as is, except for the SR.  Lackey is still a huge question mark!  Ditto for Duby & Dempster. 

btw..... What would happen to the extra year of team control if DeLaRossa or Webster were brought up for spot starts??? 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Bradley played college baseeball and is not a teenager. Trade Ellsbury and get on with it.

They will get next to nothing in return right now. They would be better off waiting until the trade deadline. He was available all winter an obviously BC wasnt given a good enough offer, if at all, to let him go.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ok im all for the youth movement, but i have to disagree with putting RDL and webster in the pen. they are both starters and should remain so. we have pen guys, no need to push them in there.  unofortunately it looks like RDL will be on an innings limit this year so he will likely remain in the minors and recieve a september call and pitch a few innings here and there. Allen webster on the other will likely get some starts in the bigs this year. he is the next in line to get the call if someone guys injured. Now if im the sox brass, im leaving that 5th rotation spot open during spring training and plugging in the guy who performed best. lester, buchholz, lackey and dempster are all locked in. doubront on the other hand has not done enough in my opinion to secure a spot. he was very average last year and quite frankley his numbers were not too great, 11-10 record, 4.86 era and 1.45 whip. I think allen webster should be given a shot to win the 5 spot in the rotation. doubront has talent, but unless he can get his walks down and be more consistant, he will never be much more than average.

Sections
Shortcuts