Ben, please embrace their youth movement for 2013!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Ben, please embrace their youth movement for 2013!

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

ok im all for the youth movement, but i have to disagree with putting RDL and webster in the pen. they are both starters and should remain so. we have pen guys, no need to push them in there.  unofortunately it looks like RDL will be on an innings limit this year so he will likely remain in the minors and recieve a september call and pitch a few innings here and there. Allen webster on the other will likely get some starts in the bigs this year. he is the next in line to get the call if someone guys injured. Now if im the sox brass, im leaving that 5th rotation spot open during spring training and plugging in the guy who performed best. lester, buchholz, lackey and dempster are all locked in. doubront on the other hand has not done enough in my opinion to secure a spot. he was very average last year and quite frankley his numbers were not too great, 11-10 record, 4.86 era and 1.45 whip. I think allen webster should be given a shot to win the 5 spot in the rotation. doubront has talent, but unless he can get his walks down and be more consistant, he will never be much more than average.

There were also questions as to Websters stamina. I do think we could see both RDLR and Webster at some point this year. Both have looked exceptionally good this ST. All while Crawford will start the year on the DL again..Poor LAD...NOT!

Bradley should go to the minors to play 100% of the time in CF. If there is an injury or they trade Ells' at some point, then and only then, should he be brought up.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

They will get next to nothing in return right now. They would be better off waiting until the trade deadline. He was available all winter an obviously BC wasnt given a good enough offer, if at all, to let him go.

False. With the nearly certain draft compensation at season end, plus a full season, Ellsbury will net a top tier prospect that is more advanced than waiting on the future draft compesnation.

A. Move about 10 million off the 2013 books

B. Put Bradley, Jr. in CF where he belongs, and allow his offense time to develop and enjoy his winning attitude and solid defensive play

C. Net more value now and better team leadership than the absurd notion of saving pennies in a half a decade on a player who will be years removed from his youth

We all know that Cherry and InEpstein have turned down numerous opportunity to get rid of Ellsbury, who has been the face of loser team baseball since he was named a season starter in 2008. We also know that the fans' wet panty factor is part of the reason management has hung on to this overrated prima donna.

Silly to be talking about platooning Bradley, Jr. in a corner OF position or parking him in minor league baseball. It's called merit! It's called planning!

Cherry could have easily been totally planned and prepared for Bradley, Jr's maturation question by signing R. Johnson for 2M, with minor league contracts to Pods and/or Sizemore. Then, if Bradley did what he's done in spring training, more on defense than offense, he could have easily moved most or all of R. Johnson's 2M and put Bradley, Jr. in CF. He also could have acquired J. Upton or netted a top tier prospect for Ellsbury.

Instead, here we are, with a virtual certainty that Bradley, Jr. will take his confidence from spring training and be told "you aren't quite ready and here is your ticket to AA or AAA ball and some things to work on".  That will not help Bradley, Jr.'s confidence or his development.

Competent management would have already planned in advance to sieze on this opportunity if it presented itself, and then let the fans know that patience is needed for the inexperienced Bradley, Jr. who will need time to mature offensively but will provide great leadership and excitement as an excellent defensive CF'er.

Not going to get into it with you..Its obvious that no other team values Ells' compensation pick enough to even offer close to a top prospect this winter when he was made available. If he does well, he will have more value to a team on the cusp of a WSC. Then, and only then will some team offer something close, if not, a top prospect.

Your disdain for Jacoby has thoroughly clouded any possibility for even a remotely realistic and knowledgeable post involving him...

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I think this "women seeking revenue from old men" ad on this very company owned Board is appropriate comic relief for this thread:

Hence the name Stiffy.  Is stiffy pulling a Manti te'o "head fake?"

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Then you would realize that if a team is in need of a CF at the deadline, and providing Ellsbury is having a great year and the Sox are in last place, That team would give up something of better value in order to acquire the piece they need to get a possible WSC...

Its done EVERY single year, so its not like its something new.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

They will get next to nothing in return right now. They would be better off waiting until the trade deadline. He was available all winter an obviously BC wasnt given a good enough offer, if at all, to let him go.

False. With the nearly certain draft compensation at season end, plus a full season, Ellsbury will net a top tier prospect that is more advanced than waiting on the future draft compesnation.

A. Move about 10 million off the 2013 books

B. Put Bradley, Jr. in CF where he belongs, and allow his offense time to develop and enjoy his winning attitude and solid defensive play

C. Net more value now and better team leadership than the absurd notion of saving pennies in a half a decade on a player who will be years removed from his youth

We all know that Cherry and InEpstein have turned down numerous opportunity to get rid of Ellsbury, who has been the face of loser team baseball since he was named a season starter in 2008. We also know that the fans' wet panty factor is part of the reason management has hung on to this overrated prima donna.

Silly to be talking about platooning Bradley, Jr. in a corner OF position or parking him in minor league baseball. It's called merit! It's called planning!

Cherry could have easily been totally planned and prepared for Bradley, Jr's maturation question by signing R. Johnson for 2M, with minor league contracts to Pods and/or Sizemore. Then, if Bradley did what he's done in spring training, more on defense than offense, he could have easily moved most or all of R. Johnson's 2M and put Bradley, Jr. in CF. He also could have acquired J. Upton or netted a top tier prospect for Ellsbury.

Instead, here we are, with a virtual certainty that Bradley, Jr. will take his confidence from spring training and be told "you aren't quite ready and here is your ticket to AA or AAA ball and some things to work on".  That will not help Bradley, Jr.'s confidence or his development.

Competent management would have already planned in advance to sieze on this opportunity if it presented itself, and then let the fans know that patience is needed for the inexperienced Bradley, Jr. who will need time to mature offensively but will provide great leadership and excitement as an excellent defensive CF'er.

Another  B I N G O  !!!!!!   Lets send SOFTY to Washington D C and clean up all those  lib/left/rad/soc/MOONBATS !!!  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The draft pick alone is worth a nice prospect, so I can't believe that you guys want a player that has essentially no value right now to be our FT CF'er over Bradley.

For the same reasons you guys think Ellsbury is better than Bradley, some GM in the league agrees, and he values Ellsbury plus the comp pick enough to part with a very good prospect. 

A team might lose an OF'er to injury this spring, and desperation could help make a trade possible. I doubt it happenes, since Ben seems to agree with most of you guys: that Ellsbury might lead us to a ring this year, but when we end up with nothing but the draft pick, we'll talk again.

Simply put: I have to think a GM values 6 months of Jacoby plus a draft pick more than 2 months of Jacoby with no draft pick (at the deadline).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Red Sox managment had two choices, and only two choices to make, competently:

1. Make the decision that they are going to retain Ellsbury for his FA years or

2.Trade him while he stills has the draft compensation and set the table for Bradley, Jr. with cheap placeholders, and acquire a more sure and further along in development top tier prospect or acquire J. Upton and extend him to get him to approve the trade

That's all, folks.

Actually, that's not all.

3-Keep him this year and take the draft pick.

Oh, and Upton has already been traded.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Red Sox managment had two choices, and only two choices to make, competently:

1. Make the decision that they are going to retain Ellsbury for his FA years or

2.Trade him while he stills has the draft compensation and set the table for Bradley, Jr. with cheap placeholders, and acquire a more sure and further along in development top tier prospect or acquire J. Upton and extend him to get him to approve the trade

That's all, folks.

Actually, that's not all.

3-Keep him this year and take the draft pick.

Oh, and Upton has already been traded.

Exactly. This team has done pretty well with compensation picks. Witness Jackie Bradley Jr.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

As for this notion that "Softlaw just hates Ellsbury so it's clouding his judgment"., how wrong you are. I couldn't stand this guy from the get go becaue he was not good enough defensively to be a top CF'er, and he was overrated offensively. I also was familiar with team championship performance that dated before he came to the Red Sox. At the same time, I said that Crisp needed to be traded at the end of the 2008 season.

I've been one of Ortiz's biggest defenders during the "he's washed up first half of the year bashing" in 2009 and 2010 and into 2011. At the same time, I condemned the two year offer to Ortiz in this last contract, knowing that one year and an option would have way exceeded the market and Ortiz is now nothing more than a less than full season of production player who will do well to avoid embarrassment in even one year of this contract. I said he's owed a one year golden parachute for wll he's done, but there was no reason to go beyond that.

I call them like I see them, and I'm almost always correct because I don't let emotion interfere with my thought process.

I don't make decisions based on emotion. My comments include satire to make this heavy viewpoint censored and sanitized website less boring and lifeless than it was when I first came here.

So what explains the teenage girl emotional decision to dump Ells when his value is as low as it can go?

Sections
Shortcuts