Ben Says............................

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Ben Says............................

..............."we've got work to do this winter". Hey Ben, there is still 6 weeks of Fall left. You don't need to wait until December 22nd to get started.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: Ben Says............................

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

..............."we've got work to do this winter". Hey Ben, there is still 6 weeks of Fall left. You don't need to wait until December 22nd to get started.

[/QUOTE]

Ike you are consistent...once a tool always a tool!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Not sure if this would be considered good or bad but I am like Ben but only in the sense that if its not baseball season, its winter.  My guess is thats what he meant.  I don't believe for a second that the RS are going to sit back and wait.  I believe (hope) that BC will be aggressive and get what the RS need. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know.  he already blew the Ortiz deal by working slowly.  Whats next?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

never1954,

that is exactly how i see it as well.  no basebal=winter.

the sox have been looking at things for 2013 long before the 2012 season ended.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Free agency does not start until after Nov. 9th when players either accept the qualifying offer or not from the team.

Then after that, then that is when all the GM's starting to get serious!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Some people have an occassional bad day.

Alibiike's is still looking for that one good day.

I don't see it in his future.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I like action!

I have not seen in a year and three months that word attributed to BenC.

Maybe no action is a trait that John, Tom and Larry like in their GM---if that's the case Mr. Ben has convinced three people his way is the right way.

I know I'm wearing out a story but to me the Michael Olmsted loss to the Brewers was a sign that Sox fans should remember. Then to look at the players Ben has stockpiled on his 40 man roster; 23 pitchers many of whom will not contribute to the current RS team. I think it was a headline right after the season ended--he had to address the 40 man roster to get ready for the Rule 5. When he released Olmsted that was a sign to me we are in trouble if he started there instead of with Stewart or Beato or one of the Carpenters or some others.

I hope things change soon and we see some action tonight or has he made it through another big meeting without taking any action and returns with the same story--we've laid the groundwork for the Winter Meetings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BEN Says..... "I wonder what DAD & BILL-806 would do"  ?????????

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets see, Catcher below avg., no 1st baseman, SS with no Major League experience, 3rd Baseman who hasn't played full season, Right Field, Left Field. Starting Staff, that was giving up almost 5 runs a game, that hardly Pitches into the 7th inning. Bullpen not bad. 

Weak Free Agent Class, not an abundace of Prospects so you can afford to make a Trade.

We got our DH and Manager though. Nah, team is going in the right direction.

[/QUOTE]

Thoughtful analysis indeed.  So, if you were in Ben's shoes what would you do today?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lets see, Catcher below avg., no 1st baseman, SS with no Major League experience, 3rd Baseman who hasn't played full season, Right Field, Left Field. Starting Staff, that was giving up almost 5 runs a game, that hardly Pitches into the 7th inning. Bullpen not bad. 

Weak Free Agent Class, not an abundace of Prospects so you can afford to make a Trade.

[/QUOTE]

Thoughtful analysis indeed.  So, if you were in Ben's shoes what would you do today?

[/QUOTE]

If I were Ben, I wouldn't try bargain shopping again. No need to. The sox have some coin so there is no reason not to go out and get the best of the FA class and shed some of the dead weight via trade (Salty, Aceves, Bard, Sweeney, Atchison, etc.)

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Yawn.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If I were Ben, I wouldn't try bargain shopping again. No need to. The sox have some coin so there is no reason not to go out and get the best of the FA class and shed some of the dead weight via trade (Salty, Aceves, Bard, Sweeney, Atchison, etc.)

[/QUOTE]

If it's "dead weight" as you call it, why would anybody else want it?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I hope this does not revert back to the days of Dan Duquette prior to 2001 when we were in on everything and did nothing. Even heard that John Henry is closing down his investment firm in Florida. I hope they are not looking to put a minor lleague team out there again and charge major league prices for it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  But, my question was not what WOULDN'T you do.  Thats easy.  The question is, specifically, what WOULD you do.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i have a simple plan - sign ortiz, sign ross, sign grienke, and let farrell be the pitcherwhisperer that he was hired to be....signing zach will transform this current group imho...

i realize ben is slower than molasses but he really did waste a lot of time last year on marginal, meaningless moves...i hope he learned his lesson that there is no substitute for a quaity player who is performing well...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Last year Ben brought in a boatload of ham and eggers, with the predictable results.  There was a reason. No money available. Now , money is available. What will Ben do ? What will he be allowed to do ?  Will we get more ham and eggers and call it a" bridge year" ? Will we continue to delude ourselves that we have the best young prospects in baseball ?  Will we make excuses like , " It's a weak crop of free agents "  or " we can't repeat past mistakes " ? Or will Ben do something to make us a serious contender in 2013 ?    We will find out the answers soon enough.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last year Ben brought in a boatload of ham and eggers, with the predictable results.  There was a reason. No money available. Now , money is available. What will Ben do ? What will he be allowed to do ?  Will we get more ham and eggers and call it a" bridge year" ? Will we continue to delude ourselves that we have the best young prospects in baseball ?  Will we make excuses like , " It's a weak crop of free agents "  or " we can't repeat past mistakes " ? Or will Ben do something to make us a serious contender in 2013 ?    We will find out the answers soon enough.

[/QUOTE]

In my mind, the very difficult question of the off-season is:  Now that there is money in the till, are there non-ham-and-eggers out there to throw it at?  And I am not talking about ham-an-eggers dressed up in filet mignon free agent disguises.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In my mind, the very difficult question of the off-season is:  Now that there is money in the till, are there non-ham-and-eggers out there to throw it at?  And I am not talking about ham-an-eggers dressed up in filet mignon free agent disguises.  

[/QUOTE]

There are some good , and some very good players available on the free agent , foreign and trade markets. Some of them will cost plenty in terms of money and / or prospects. And some of them come with an obvious risk factor attached.  But that should not be an excuse for us to stay with the status quo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are some good , and some very good players available on the free agent , foreign and trade markets. Some of them will cost plenty in terms of money and / or prospects. And some of them come with an obvious risk factor attached.  But that should not be an excuse for us to stay with the status quo.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  The status quo is certainly not acceptable.  But, when I put my GM hat on, I get pretty gun shy at the risk vs. reward factor of almost everyone I see on the free agent and trade market.  

No, this is no reason to Stan Pat, but I do think this is a very tricky offseason.  I want the club back in contention for 2012.  But I would hate to see the farm looted or all the means created by the Big Trade squandered on a BJ Upton or a Adam LaRoche.

I am just not in line with those here who are like "BEN, YOU MOST ACT BOLDLY AND SWIFTLY!!!"  

I think he needs to be canny, shrewd and strike at the right time as markets become realistic on players.  It would terrible to stand pat.  Even worse to blow the reserves on ham-and-eggers-in-disguise.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i have a simple plan - sign ortiz, sign ross, sign grienke, and let farrell be the pitcherwhisperer that he was hired to be....signing zach will transform this current group imho...

i realize ben is slower than molasses but he really did waste a lot of time last year on marginal, meaningless moves...i hope he learned his lesson that there is no substitute for a quaity player who is performing well...

[/QUOTE]

i suggest you pull up lester/buch/sanchez's career stats and give that a comparison. then tell me if you still want to flush 90 mil down the drain