Ben, tell us that Stevie Drew "WILL NOT BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS" !!!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: Ben, tell us that Stevie Drew

Hesgoing to J D's Bill.  J D is going to school him on how to play with less emotion, while dreaming about buying that shiny new Massey Ferguson tractor

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The fact nobody has signed this dude to what "he wants" shows how un-valuable he is. We would have won with Iggy just as easily. over rated 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The fact nobody has signed this dude to what "he wants" shows how un-valuable he is. We would have won with Iggy just as easily. over rated 

[/QUOTE]

sorry but Iggy's errors during the ALCS were an imperative part of us winning the series...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So... people want Drew to wait until January to re-sign?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But we didn't, did we?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If the Sox won just as easily without Iglesias, doesn't that also say that Iglesias is clearly overrated by his support group?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Time to move on from this BORA$$ connection !!!!    What say you, all you smart baseball people ??????

[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I'd move on.  But you do know that no matter what happens, Boras will be the agent for our SS next year.

IMO, it is pretty silly to want to build a team using only players from certain agents.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Time to move on from this BORA$$ connection !!!!    What say you, all you smart baseball people ??????

[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I'd move on.  But you do know that no matter what happens, Boras will be the agent for our SS next year.

IMO, it is pretty silly to want to build a team using only players from certain agents.

[/QUOTE]

Ah, the Kenny Williams Plan.  Williams publicly stated he would never sign a Boras player, and he started divesting his team of Boras guys like Joe Crede.

tTo be fair to KW (which I rarely am), mlbtr started running a series CALLED "Why I Chose My Agent."  The first guy they talked to was Jay Bruce.  Out of high school, Bruce selected Boras to represent him.  When he was interviewing personnel from various teams, he was told because of his choice of agent, they were numerous teams who would not even talk to him.  As a result, he changed representation.

Really, with agents, it appears to be that there is Scott Boras and Everyone Else...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE]

sorry but Iggy's errors during the ALCS were an imperative part of us winning the series...

[/QUOTE]

how could Iggy have made those errors if he were on our team? are u saying we would have lost the series with Iggy on our team?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Drew made one really special play in the post-season but the very next game he made a huge mis-play but becaue the team won nobody said a word.

He was about as non-factor (meaning negative or positive) the teams overall success as I was.

For every one thing he did well or great he sucked at in another.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No Iggy's bat would have bitten them. You don't know what offers he is turning down or what he feels his value is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

okay dude. Drew sucks, plain and simple. Iggy saved this team as much as any player on this team in April-June in case you forget

And Iggys bat would have "bitten them" ? What was Drews numbers for the play-offs? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE]

/QUOTE]

how could Iggy have made those errors if he were on our team? are u saying we would have lost the series with Iggy on our team?

Despite what Iggy did or may have done for in in the WS he is a great young SS.  I'm still on the fence with bringing Drew back because of the price but believe he intended to return to the Sox all along and other teams realize this.

I also think Bogy has the best chance of any major improvement next season over Middy or JBJ so he deserves to start every day.  Bogy at 3B and Drew at SS with Herrera backing them up could also make Middy expendable if he strugges again.

A package centered around either Peavy or Lackey and Middy could bring us a very nice bat at some point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

okay dude. Drew sucks, plain and simple. Iggy saved this team as much as any player on this team in April-June in case you forget

And Iggys bat would have "bitten them" ? What was Drews numbers for the play-offs? 

[/QUOTE]

Drew was a top 5 offensive SS in baseball last season statistically. Iggy hit a bunch of ball in the infield that turned into hits. Drew had at least 5 game winning or tying hits last year I can think of off the too of my head. Without Drew the Sox might have finish in the Wild Card instead of the division. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but the math disagrees with you.  He had a 3.4 WAR.  You can jump up and down all day screaming he sucks, but until you replace Fangraphs, that opinion will be rendered meaningless.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Sorry, but the math disagrees with you.  He had a 3.4 WAR.  You can jump up and down all day screaming he sucks, but until you replace Fangraphs, that opinion will be rendered meaningless.

I'm not sure how anyone can say Drew sucks.  He played outstanding defense for us throughout the season and has shown he can hit.  If Drew is healthy at the start of this season and manages to stay off the DL for a prolonged period he could put up close to Scutaro type numbers.

Boras is still trying to get some team to over pay for him other than the Sox.  I think Boras would prefer to have his clients sign anywhere but Boston to be honest with you because we don't cave into his nonsense.  This is why I really hate the fact we may be looking at another Ells situation all over again at some point with Bogy and JBJ.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how anyone can say Drew sucks.  He played outstanding defense for us throughout the season and has shown he can hit.  If Drew is healthy at the start of this season and manages to stay off the DL for a prolonged period he could put up close to Scutaro type numbers.

Boras is still trying to get some team to over pay for him other than the Sox.  I think Boras would prefer to have his clients sign anywhere but Boston to be honest with you because we don't cave into his nonsense.  This is why I really hate the fact we may be looking at another Ells situation all over again at some point with Bogy and JBJ.

[/QUOTE]

It really comes down to the player. If Bogaerts or Bradley want to stay extensions they will be around here for awhile. Bogaerts if he pans out come make a lot of cash, Boras is the agent if you want to capitalize on that. However it is player thing not an agent thing, look at Papelbon. He wouldn't sign an extension before FA and didn't have Boras.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No Iggy's bat would have bitten them. You don't know what offers he is turning down or what he feels his value is.

[/QUOTE]

Iggys bat would have bitten them ... SDrew wasn't he something like 2-53 in playoffs?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Iggys bat would have bitten them ... SDrew wasn't he something like 2-53 in playoffs?

[/QUOTE]

6 for 54.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not sure how anyone can say Drew sucks.  He played outstanding defense for us throughout the season and has shown he can hit.

The only reasonable way you can come to the conclusion that Drew sucked is if you've already made up your mind and refuse to look at any of the numbers.

That's a speciality in here.  There were posters screaming that Theo made a mistake letting Bay go.  In the beginning, it's an opinion, which is fine.  After a year, most of that crowd pretended they never thought that.

But until the very end, no matter how bad Bay got, there were still some claiming it was a mistake to let him leave.  Even after the NYMs cut him, there were one or two claiming it was a mistake.  I make a mistake, I can admit it immediately.  If it was bad enough, like claiming that Parcells was holding the NYGs back in 1985, I'll laugh about what a bad opinion it was.  Some cannot do that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

After Iggy left Drew had an.864OPS for Aug/Sept. his offense was a big part of them winning the final 2 months. Nobody really hit much in the Playoffs, but at least Drew saved a few runs with his defense and hit a HR in Game 6 of the WS.

Hes a streaky hitter, but always ends up around a 780OPS with solid defense. Which is usually top 5 for MLB SS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd prefer not to spend the money and lose the draft pick (probably between #26-35), but I'd rather have Drew than Dempster on the 25 man roster. If we traded Dempster and were able to sign Drew and stay under the luxury limit, I could see the advantages.

Like I said, I'm hoping we don't sign Drew, but there are pluses.

1) We could trade Middy or Carp for something useful and actually get better at 3B with Bogey over Middy or 1B/3B back-up with Middy over Carp or Snyder.

2) As notin poined out, we could hold off on using Bogey for another year and get his performance at age 27 vs his performance at age 21.

3) Drew is a better fielding SS than Bogey, and Bogey may become a better fielding 3Bman than Middy over a short period of time.

Even with these pluses, I'd prefer Middy's bat over Drew's, Middy's 2014 glove/arm over Bogey's 2014 3B fielding projections, and the sweet draft pick in a strong and deep 2014 draft.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I was not displeased by Drew's 2013 season in any way other than I think that he was overpaid to some degree.

Also, don't think that the Sox do not want him back, but just at their price (whatever that may be?) and not at Drew's asking price or for the number of years he would probably like.

He probably should have taken the qualifying offer, financially, but since he didn't he has yet to find a team willing to meet his salary and length of contract wishes.

I would again sign him for decent money and tell him to start getting used to playing other positions besides just shortstop if I were the Sox because I would give Bogaerts a six week to two month full trial run to begin the season as our starting shortstop.

If Bogaerts fails as a full time player, then the Sox can go back to filling the left side of the infield out of Bogaerts, Drew and Middlebrooks until one or two of these guys can rise up and clearly take over short or third.

Sections
Shortcuts