Ben, tell us that Stevie Drew "WILL NOT BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS" !!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Ben, tell us that Stevie Drew

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'd prefer not to spend the money and lose the draft pick (probably between #26-35), but I'd rather have Drew than Dempster on the 25 man roster. If we traded Dempster and were able to sign Drew and stay under the luxury limit, I could see the advantages.

Like I said, I'm hoping we don't sign Drew, but there are pluses.

1) We could trade Middy or Carp for something useful and actually get better at 3B with Bogey over Middy or 1B/3B back-up with Middy over Carp or Snyder.

2) As notin poined out, we could hold off on using Bogey for another year and get his performance at age 27 vs his performance at age 21.

3) Drew is a better fielding SS than Bogey, and Bogey may become a better fielding 3Bman than Middy over a short period of time.

Even with these pluses, I'd prefer Middy's bat over Drew's, Middy's 2014 glove/arm over Bogey's 2014 3B fielding projections, and the sweet draft pick in a strong and deep 2014 draft.

Id rather go with Xander at SS and Middy at 3b. Ill take the pick for Drew this year. He was a solid addition to the team this past year, but I feel the kids should play.

If they do get Drew for a year, I would start Xander in AAA and give Middy a full shot to see what he can do over a full season with no injuries and having matured some after this past year. Herrera can BU. Xander is only 21, and we need to see what WMB is. So if Drew is signed, Xander should be the one to wait for his shot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

The fact nobody has signed this dude to what "he wants" shows how un-valuable he is. We would have won with Iggy just as easily. over rated 

No Iggy's bat would have bitten them. You don't know what offers he is turning down or what he feels his value is.

Iggys bat would have bitten them ... SDrew wasn't he something like 2-53 in playoffs?

After Iggy left Drew had an.864OPS for Aug/Sept. his offense was a big part of them winning the final 2 months. Nobody really hit much in the Playoffs, but at least Drew saved a few runs with his defense and hit a HR in Game 6 of the WS.

Hes a streaky hitter, but always ends up around a 780OPS with solid defense. Which is usually top 5 for MLB SS.

Not to mention, 9 of his 64 RBI were in the ninth inning.

When it comes to Drew, he only gets recognized for his poor 11 game post-season and not how he did the entire way.  He was a very good all-around player.

I don't mind if he comes back.  I do not think he will.  I think Boras gets him the multiyear deal he wants...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The fact nobody has signed this dude to what "he wants" shows how un-valuable he is. We would have won with Iggy just as easily. over rated 

No Iggy's bat would have bitten them. You don't know what offers he is turning down or what he feels his value is.

Iggys bat would have bitten them ... SDrew wasn't he something like 2-53 in playoffs?

Yes but that was after the regular season in which Iggy hit infield singles for two month then nothing. Drew vs Iggy could have put the Red Sox closer to Tampa Bay.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:

After Iggy left Drew had an.864OPS for Aug/Sept. his offense was a big part of them winning the final 2 months. Nobody really hit much in the Playoffs, but at least Drew saved a few runs with his defense and hit a HR in Game 6 of the WS.

Hes a streaky hitter, but always ends up around a 780OPS with solid defense. Which is usually top 5 for MLB SS.

When it comes to Drew, he only gets recognized for his poor 11 game post-season and not how he did the entire way.  He was a very good all-around player.

I don't mind if he comes back.  I do not think he will.  I think Boras gets him the multiyear deal he wants...

Hes a clutch hitter that doesnt get rattled in the spotlight. The pitching this past post season was some of the best Ive seen in years. Not too many guys were hitting. For those that only pay attention to the 11 games and say hes not any good, I question their baseball intellect. If we didnt have Bogey waiting in the wings, Id sign this guy on a 3 year deal without question.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With whom?

The market has shrunk.

The Yanks? The Mets? The ___?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes but that was after the regular season in which Iggy hit infield singles for two month then nothing. Drew vs Iggy could have put the Red Sox closer to Tampa Bay.

I wouldn't say .259 with the Tigers was "nothing", and I do remember most posters here saying they'd be happy with .260 from Iggy due to his superior range and defense at SS.

Would you, right now, trade Peavy for Iggy?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we didnt have Bogey waiting in the wings, Id sign this guy on a 3 year deal without question.

To me, it's not about Bogey as he can and probably should be moved to 3B anyways, but it's more about Middy and Cecchini getting squeezed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I wouldn't say .259 with the Tigers was "nothing", and I do remember most posters here saying they'd be happy with .260 from Iggy due to his superior range and defense at SS.

Lets see what he does with a full year at one position under his belt. I think he will be about 240-250, which is acceptable with stellar D.

Right now there are much different circumstances. Not a fair question.

I will say this though. If we were in the same situation, I would certainly do it all over again. I agreed with the trade then, and I agree with it now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I would not make that trade. There was no room for Iggy before he was traded for Peavy; there is still no room for him now. I am not yet ready to give up on WMB, so he is going to have every shot to be the starting 3B in April if I am the manager. That puts Bogey at SS and leaves no room for Iglesias. Furthermore, despite what he did in the field MOST of the time, he did make some critical errors during the playoffs for his team. And I still do not trust that he can hit the baseball consistently. Peavy is not going to be a superstar, but he will be a decent #4 SP IMO. It was a good trade then; its still a good trade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

With whom?

The market has shrunk.

He should have signed a multiyear deal with my Mets a week ago but the Wilpons see the Mets as a mid market team and two multiyear deal in one offseason is just too much for them to handle.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Boras stated that there are teams that want him, but they would need to make a trade in order to add him. Huh? Posturing.

If the Red Sox offer him anything more than $7M for a year, they would be fools. Drew had his chance to take $14.1M for one year, but he declined. So if you are the Red Sox, you can wait until February. His offer should be in the $4M-7M range. Don't negotiate against yourself. Let Boras go find him another deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He was worth every dime of the 9.5MM he was paid.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i agree...and i think he might get 2/20 from red sox...i mean i hope so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

They won so he was worth it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

He was worth far more than $9.5m in today's market.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

You have no clue what youre talking about in terms of what he wants being the reason he isnt signed yet.  Did you ever think that the team that signs him would lose a first round pick and maybe thats the biggest reason for not being signed??  Your hatred for him is pretty comical and shows you didnt watch much of the season this year otherwise you would have seen a lot of clucth hits and really good defense.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

You have no clue what youre talking about in terms of what he wants being the reason he isnt signed yet.  Did you ever think that the team that signs him would lose a first round pick and maybe thats the biggest reason for not being signed??  Your hatred for him is pretty comical and shows you didnt watch much of the season this year otherwise you would have seen a lot of clucth hits and really good defense.

Yes, BORA$$  & DREW make quite a pair.....  Its all $$$$$$  The fact that DREW is making the Sox wait, is like Macarthur making Truman wait @ Wake Island !!   I don't want this attitude on my team !!!

He helped us win a WSC.  I think the word you're looking for is 'thanks'.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Boras stated that there are teams that want him, but they would need to make a trade in order to add him. Huh? Posturing.

If the Red Sox offer him anything more than $7M for a year, they would be fools. Drew had his chance to take $14.1M for one year, but he declined. So if you are the Red Sox, you can wait until February. His offer should be in the $4M-7M range. Don't negotiate against yourself. Let Boras go find him another deal.

His offer should be $4-7M?  Seriously?  That's like when Softlaw was stating all the pitchers he would sign at down near minimum wage, instead of what their real cost would be.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Would rather trade Dempster AND have Bogey at SS and Middy at 3rd. Getting Drew still causes a log jam if Cecchini is that good that he could arrive this year. Also, Drew will want multiple years so it just compounds the problem. Even if we trade Middy and get Drew, what do we do with Cecchini for 2-3 years while Drew's contract runs its course?

By trading Dempster, we open the door for Workman and some of the other kids. Would rather see the younger pitchers get a shot at the bigs.

No to Drew.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

Yes, BORA$$  & DREW make quite a pair.....  Its all $$$$$$  The fact that DREW is making the Sox wait, is like Macarthur making Truman wait @ Wake Island !!   I don't want this attitude on my team !!!

doo·fus  (dfs)

n.  pl.  doo·fus·es  Slang An incompetent, foolish, or stupid person.

You don't want professional baseball players on your team?  Fine, I'm sure the Watertown Master Batters from the Can't Touch My Toes Slow-Pitch Softball League would be happy to play for nothing.  But virtually all professional athletes want to maximise their income, as do many people in this sad, greedy world.

I'm sure you've been told, and am equally sure you've forgotten, that Bogaerts and Bradley are Boras clients. D00fus.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Yes, BORA$$  & DREW make quite a pair.....  Its all $$$$$$  The fact that DREW is making the Sox wait, is like Macarthur making Truman wait @ Wake Island !!   I don't want this attitude on my team !!!

[/QUOTE]

doo·fus  (dfs)

n.  pl.  doo·fus·es  SlangAn incompetent, foolish, or stupid person.

You don't want professional baseball players on your team?  Fine, I'm sure the Watertown Master Batters from the Can't Touch My Toes Slow-Pitch Softball League would be happy to play for nothing.  But virtually all professional athletes want to maximise their income, as do many people in this sad, greedy world.

I'm sure you've been told, and am equally sure you've forgotten, that Bogaerts and Bradley are Boras clients. D00fus.

[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

With whom?

The market has shrunk.

Sounds like the same market for Michael Bourn a year ago yet ssomething happened. ...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts