Ben, tell us that Stevie Drew "WILL NOT BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS" !!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Ben, tell us that Stevie Drew

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Teams value draft picks, so I'm sure that is playing into some teams deciding not to offer Drew a contract or to lessen their offer by the value of the draft choice.

Had Drew not received the qualifying offer, I think he'd have many offers.

If the Yankees had the stones to move Jeter to 2B, Drew would be playing for them next year.

Moon, 

Somehow I forgot about that draft pick. It is almost assured that that is the reason Drew hasn't been signed by now. As for Bill he's been hitting the bubbly well before New Years. 

Have a great and Merry Christmas !!

Hetch

No bubbly here Hetch ......  I would just prefer that you say that B-806 is spot on on this Drew/BORA$$ situation !!!   Have a great Christmas !!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Teams value draft picks, so I'm sure that is playing into some teams deciding not to offer Drew a contract or to lessen their offer by the value of the draft choice.

If the Yankees had the stones to move Jeter to 2B, Drew would be playing for them next year.

Moon, 

Somehow I forgot about that draft pick. It is almost assured that that is the reason Drew hasn't been signed by now. As for Bill he's been hitting the bubbly well before New Years. 

Hetch

Of course its the draft pick.

The Cardinals did not give $50mill to Biogenesis vet Jhonny Peralta because they thought he was better than Drew...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Moon, 

Hetch

Of course its the draft lick.

The Cardinals did not give $50mill to Biogenesis vet Jhonny Peralta because they thought he was better than Drew...

B I N G O DAT  !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I do NOT want the RS rto do anything to accommodate Drew.  If Bogie looke lke SS material, then let's play him there, with maybe Drew as a backup.  But let's NOT move Bogie to third so we can make room for Drew.

Drew's not very valuabe -- get that BC?

Let not let him muck up our plans for the future because we want to be nice to him or to Boras. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

I do NOT want the RS rto do anything to accommodate Drew.  If Bogie looke lke SS material, then let's play him there, with maybe Drew as a backup.  But let's NOT move Bogie to third so we can make room for Drew.

Drew's not very valuabe -- get that BC?

Let not let him muck up our plans for the future because we want to be nice to him or to Boras. 

As DAD would say ...............  "SON, I could not have said it any better"  !!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I liked Drew in 2013 and I really, really, really didn't think that I would have ever said that when they signed him one year ago today.  I liked watching him play shortstop in 2013 - especially the playoffs. I thought he moved effortlessly on the routine plays and even sprinkled in some spectacular defensive plays as well.

I am fine if the Sox keep Drew on a 1-2 year deal OR let him sign elsewhere. But, if I had to choose, I would suggest taking the draft pick and saving the salary.  I think that a Drew signing would 'force' the Sox to shed payroll and I would rather that they keep the starting pitching depth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:

I liked Drew in 2013 and I really, really, really didn't think that I would have ever said that when they signed him one year ago today.  I liked watching him play shortstop in 2013 - especially the playoffs. I thought he moved effortlessly on the routine plays and even sprinkled in some spectacular defensive plays as well.

I am fine if the Sox keep Drew on a 1-2 year deal OR let him sign elsewhere. But, if I had to choose, I would suggest taking the draft pick and saving the salary.  I think that a Drew signing would 'force' the Sox to shed payroll and I would rather that they keep the starting pitching depth.

B I N G O    DAT ........  Very well said, young man !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Time to move on from this BORA$$ connection !!!!    What say you, all you smart baseball people ??????

FWIW, I'd move on.  But you do know that no matter what happens, Boras will be the agent for our SS next year.

IMO, it is pretty silly to want to build a team using only players from certain agents.

As Billy Boy would say, that's a bingo. Not to mention our centerfielder and our top minor league SS as well as one of our top pitching prospects. Still, it should be easy enough to move on from Boras. Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I don't mind Drew returning,  but I hope they don't overhaul tbe team to accomodate him.  No one should switch positions.  And any subsequent trades should be the kind you would make anyway.

The best idea might be Bogaerts in AAA until the depth sorts itself out through injury or underperformance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I don't mind Drew returning,  but I hope they don't overhaul tbe team to accomodate him.  No one should switch positions.  And any subsequent trades should be the kind you would make anyway.

The best idea might be Bogaerts in AAA until the depth sorts itself out through injury or underperformance.

At this point, Drews return would go against the chemistry and harmony of the soon to be 2014 spring training ......  IMO....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

At this point, Drews return would go against the chemistry and harmony of the soon to be 2014 spring training ......  IMO....

Ummmmm......what?  So you're saying that Drew, who ALL OF HIS TEAMATES LOVED PLAYING WITH AND WANT HIM TO RETURN....including the COACH, would ruin the chemistry of the team?  Bill.....why do you make stuff up to support your opinion?  Really....why?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:

Ummmmm......what?  So you're saying that Drew, who ALL OF HIS TEAMATES LOVED PLAYING WITH AND WANT HIM TO RETURN....including the COACH, would ruin the chemistry of the team?  Bill.....why do you make stuff up to support your opinion?  Really....why?

So, it really is "other peoples opinions" that bother you ???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

How about you explain how bringing back Drew hurts chemistry? Wasn't he well liked?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

How about you explain how bringing back Drew hurts chemistry? Wasn't he well liked?

My thought is, with all the hype & projections on Bogaerts for SS, its time to play him there with Middlebrooks at 3rd and lets move on.......  Yes, Drew had a decent, reliable year but he certainly is not a 10-14mil player.  Going into spring training with that kind of indecision on the left side can be disruptive.   IMO......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

My thought is, with all the hype & projections on Bogaerts for SS, its time to play him there with Middlebrooks at 3rd and lets move on.......  Yes, Drew had a decent, reliable year but he certainly is not a 10-14mil player.  Going into spring training with that kind of indecision on the left side can be disruptive.   IMO......

So the chemistry comment was just some more billy bollocks?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to oscars' comment:

Not at all....    See "disruptive" !!!      Wow , what a day on the board today !!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Not at all....    See "disruptive" !!!      Wow , what a day on the board today !!

Look, Drew may be the sweetest guy in the world.  But last year it was obvious that he was the number one SS --

At one point Farrell cared more about Drew's "confidence" more than Iggy's.  I don't want to see the same thing happen again, this time with Xander.  If Xander can cut it at SS, let him play the position -- let's not have management "showing confidence" by platooning him with Drew, or giving Drew the number one SS position because it's "early in the year."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Well, whether or not Drew or any player is a positive or negative influence on team chemistry is not really a matter of opinion.  Either he is or isn't and outside interpretation is all irrelevant.  The best any of us could dois cite historical questionable behavior,  of whoch Drew has none...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

Because Einstein, he was a VERY well liked teamate and from all accounts everybody wants him back...including his manager.  It has nothing to do with not liking your opinion.  However, opinions are supposed to be based on some sort of fact or it is simply made up.  From your messed up point of view then, its perfectly ok for me to go onto a political show and say "You know...I really think that unicorns could serve as a positive way to cure global warming" and I should be taken seriously because it's my opinion.

Really Bill......just go away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Well, whether or not Drew or any player is a positive or negative influence on team chemistry is not really a matter of opinion.  Either he is or isn't and outside interpretation is all irrelevant.  The best any of us could dois cite historical questionable behavior,  of whoch Drew has none...

You are acting like it is Drew or Bogaerts when it is closer to Drew or Middlebrooks. Bogaerts will play on the left side of the infield the Sox have made it clear. They have not said anything similar about Middlebrook. So Drew would either take all of Middlebrooks at bats or a large chunk of them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

As Dad likes to say Bill pay attention Bill you might learn something. Bogarts will either play 3rd or SS. So if they sign Drew it would be to replace Middlebrooks who lost his job twice last year. So is it really disruptive to replace a guy who already lost his job twice and someone who you want to trade anyways?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Try to get rid of people who contributed to winning a world series, and save money for the financially disadvantaged  management  any way and where you can.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

From you guys who know out there, out of curiosity, because the Sox offered a qualifier to Drew, will it mean the Sox would be responsible for the 14M if he doesn't sign elsewhere?  I wouldn't think so.  Is a qualifying offer good for only a year..and then negotiations all over again?  And, if he did re-sign another one-year deal, would the draft pick rule still apply next year? . 

A likely scenario would be Drew signing for another 1-year deal and hope, for him,  the market tips in his favor next year.  Of course, the interesting question would be how much to re-sign him for.  Ben C. would want to offer the least amount and Boras wouldn't want to lose face. 

If he did se-sign, it would relieve potential pressure on Boeg + Middy.  There would be quite a bit of platooning which would benefit everyone.

My humble prediction: 1.  He re-signs with the Sox ala Varitek terms....a blow to Boras, and a gold star for Ben C. or,

2. Drew signs with the Mets and we get the draft pick.

Either way it's a win/win scenario for the Sox.  Great job, Ben C.  You beat Bora$ at his own game.

It reminds me of a quote of former president Richard Nixon...  "when you have some by the balls, the mind will soon follow".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

amp, the QO usually only stands for about a week or so. once Drew and Boras declined the draft pick is automatically attached to him and the offer is off the table. the only way Drew can sign with a team and the sox do not gain a draft pick is if he A) resigns with the red sox. or B) waits until after the draft to sign.

conversely, the only way the sox are obligated to pay him 14M is if they make another 14M offer to him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

From you guys who know out there, out of curiosity, because the Sox offered a qualifier to Drew, will it mean the Sox would be responsible for the 14M if he doesn't sign elsewhere?  I wouldn't think so.  Is a qualifying offer good for only a year..and then negotiations all over again?  And, if he did re-sign another one-year deal, would the draft pick rule still apply next year? . 

A likely scenario would be Drew signing for another 1-year deal and hope, for him,  the market tips in his favor next year.  Of course, the interesting question would be how much to re-sign him for.  Ben C. would want to offer the least amount and Boras wouldn't want to lose face. 

If he did se-sign, it would relieve potential pressure on Boeg + Middy.  There would be quite a bit of platooning which would benefit everyone.

My humble prediction: 1.  He re-signs with the Sox ala Varitek terms....a blow to Boras, and a gold star for Ben C. or,

2. Drew signs with the Mets and we get the draft pick.

Either way it's a win/win scenario for the Sox.  Great job, Ben C.  You beat Bora$ at his own game.

It reminds me of a quote of former president Richard Nixon...  "when you have some by the balls, the mind will soon follow".

The deadline for accepting Qualifying Offers passed a while back.   Drew already declined. ..

Sections
Shortcuts