BEN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

BEN

Would it not be great if he holds an ample and concrete press conference?... After all he is a defending Champ and we are suffering....a moment of transparency please...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: BEN

What exactly has he been hiding?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

That the Sox can't hit. He doesn't want anyone to find out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    It's hardly a secret.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Maybe all the struggling teams in the AL East can hold a press conference together and collectively apologize to their entitled fans....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    It's hardly a secret.

[/QUOTE]

First I've heard about it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would it not be great if he holds an ample and concrete press conference?... After all he is a defending Champ and we are suffering....a moment of transparency please...

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Ben calls me after every loss to explain things.  Says he knows he owes you a call, but to tell you not to worry.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

He lied, said I was the only one he called

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Ben calls me after every loss to explain things.  Says he knows he owes you a call, but to tell you not to worry.

[/QUOTE]

Would like he explains what was his winter strategy... A Carp/Gomes platoon?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe all the struggling teams in the AL East can hold a press conference together and collectively apologize to their entitled fans....

Winner of the Post of the Week Award.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

JoeB--when BenC calls after the the Tigers and Jays sweep the home stand on Thursday--suggest to him MadMc says you haven't been listening---have the Sox best 25 , this season,  in the dugout and you will win more than you lose the rest of the way.

JBJ needs another season @ AAA.

AJ or Ross should go and bring up Vazquez.

WMB is on the DL provides his transition to AAA until he plays a better 3 B and gets some work at 1 B and learns hitting to RF is not a dirty expression. 

If Doubront reverts back to his slow delivery, which he seems to do after a semi decent performance, move him and bring up one of the guys at AAA--Barnes, DLR, Ranaudo or Webster(alpha order--they are all capable of being better than Doubront).

Admit you were wrong about Mujica--I thought he was a good pick-up when you signed him--when he's eligible to be traded move him. There's a RH at AAA ready for prime time-Alex Wilson from Texas. Give him a good shot this time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

If you think Ben is running this team, your naive. Larry "the Hatchetman" Luchinno is running this team. The only thing Ben does is get Larry's coffee. Larry is in cheapskate mode, and by that he wants major league minimum minor league players to play to save money for John Henry. He is the one that sold these supposed major league ready youth to the fans, and these kids are not ready. Ridiculous starting the year with two minor leaguers in the lineup and letting Saltalamachia and Ellsbury go. They made a lot of money up in Boston last year for John Henry and he should have kept his main players and gradually worked in his "major league" ready rookies. 

I do not like Luchinno for what he did to Terry  Francona and the negative press they gave him going out the door. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

JoeB--when BenC calls after the the Tigers and Jays sweep the home stand on Thursday--suggest to him MadMc says you haven't been listening---have the Sox best 25 , this season,  in the dugout and you will win more than you lose the rest of the way.

JBJ needs another season @ AAA.

AJ or Ross should go and bring up Vazquez.

WMB is on the DL provides his transition to AAA until he plays a better 3 B and gets some work at 1 B and learns hitting to RF is not a dirty expression. 

If Doubront reverts back to his slow delivery, which he seems to do after a semi decent performance, move him and bring up one of the guys at AAA--Barnes, DLR, Ranaudo or Webster(alpha order--they are all capable of being better than Doubront).

Admit you were wrong about Mujica--I thought he was a good pick-up when you signed him--when he's eligible to be traded move him. There's a RH at AAA ready for prime time-Alex Wilson from Texas. Give him a good shot this time.

What makes you so confident that these guys won't struggle at the major league level as well ? Mujica was a big mistake for Ben as well as Andrew Bailey a couple of years ago. You get what you pay for, you want experienced established players, you pay them, you want hit or miss players, play the minor leaguers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What exactly has he been hiding?

[/QUOTE]

He is not hiding, he is getting Larry "The Hatchetman" Luchinno's coffee. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yes, Lucchino is an evil man and has brought us nothing but trouble.

He's the guy who's been running the team for 12 years that brought only 3 championships.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

lol ...That's funny !!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In this tunnel-vision world it's become apparent to me that that the members of the FO sometimes have conflicting goals.

John Henry brings the money to the table, then he does what good top-level men do:  He gets out of the way and let's the people below him do what they do best, intruding only when he sees a need to intrude.  

Tom Werner is the guy who understands the communications end of the business.  He's the guy who manages the relationship (and the income) with NESN.

Larry Lucchino does what he does best - making money.  He's the equivalent of the CEO.  He has his fingers on the pulse of the business end of the team, the income and where it comes from and the expenses.  His goal is to make as much money as possible for the team and ultimately for JH.

Ben Cherrington is in charge of team development.  His goal is to WIN, almost without regard to the cost.   

This is where the "rub" comes.  Larry wants to make money regardless of whether the team wins or loses, and Ben wants the team to win regardless of the expense.  (and ok, those are absolute positions but they're close to reality). These two positions are bound to conflict and when they do one or the other has to have the power hand.  Right now it appears that right now Larry has the power.  

Here's where the team went wrong IMO:

First of all, I don't think the FO is committed to winning this year.

I hold no truck with not signing Ellsbury for the money it would have taken.  The Y's paid what IMO is a ridiculous amount of money.  That trade hurts the Sox and helps the Y's over the short term but as Ells gets older Ells isn't the type of player who's going to be worth what he's getting.  Ben had a plan of JBJ in CF and in case that didn't work out he had a backup plan of Sizemore - thinking one or the other of those two would work.  I can live with that.  However, it also has Larry's fingerprints on it as it's probably the least expensive way the Sox were going to fill the CF position.

I DO hold truck with bestowing one of the most important positions on the field onto someone who's never played there at this level without a viable backup plan. Which is what's happened with Bogaerts.  They were so certain that he was going to succeed there that they gave him the position without even a Plan B.  And I'm sorry but that's dumb.  Regardless of what scouts tell you, a team always should have a Plan B in their pocket for a young player because some "can't miss" prospects DO.  But again, it was the cheapest way to fill the SS position. (And before we get all carried away with Drew's not  signing the QO, it was agreed (here!) that he was made that offer knowing he'd turn it down because it was only a one year deal, so it was really only a face-saving offer.)

They signed an aging catcher with limited defensive skills because they have two prospects in the Minors who are probably going to be ready within a year.  That's not at all a bad idea UNLESS you're trying to win THIS year in which case it's not a good idea at all. Which is one of the reasons I don't think they're committed to winning this year. 

They put faith in Middelbrooks - which again I have to trouble with - because it was reasonable to assume that he'd be adequate based on his 162 game projections.  And in a worst case scenario they DO have Plan B at 3B in Holt, Chiccini, Marrerro, etc.  But probably not this year. 

What's happened is that they've had the polar opposite happen of what happened last year.  Last year everything worked.  This year nothing (except the TOR pitching) works. This year nearly every player is playing below their career norms except Papi and possibly Naps and there's no way a team can plan for that happening.

There ARE solutions but they're expensive ones both in terms of money and prospects and I don't see Larry loosening the purse strings to let it happen.  IMO WYSIWYG and they're going to let those players develop - or not - and reassess in August or September.  

HOWEVER... In spite of that bleak outlook for this year I think it's a step in the right direction.  I've long said that the Sox were the bridesmaid and not the bride for 84 years because they always were in a hurry to win it NOW rather than accept a down year and plan for the future. Larry can/will do what he does best this year - make money - and ride on the laurels of last year, but 2015 is another season and one in which the success of 2013 will be two years behind us.  For the money that gets spent by the fans they're going to expect and deserve better, and if the FO learned anything from the 2012 downturn in attendance they'll provide better.   

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Would like he explains what was his winter strategy... A Carp/Gomes platoon?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Carp is the backup 1B.  Nava was supposed to platoon with Gomes.  Now Sizemore is platooning with gomes.  Carp has played some LF, but most of that is a result of Victorino getting hurt, and Nava not hitting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]"TRANSPARENCY",  Now there is a great word out of a great "PLAYBOOK"  !!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

HOWEVER... In spite of that bleak outlook for this year I think it's a step in the right direction. I've long said that the Sox were the bridesmaid and not the bride for 84 years because they always were in a hurry to win it NOW rather than accept a down year and plan for the future.

I don't know if we have just gotten lucky over the last 11 years, but with 3 WSC and 2 other years where we could've easily have won the WS, I don't know why people object to the model.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]"TRANSPARENCY",  Now there is a great word out of a great "PLAYBOOK"  !!!

[/QUOTE]

More of your not so subtle political crap inserted into a baseball comment? I thought you were going to THINK before you posted. Its getting old.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I DO hold truck with bestowing one of the most important positions on the field onto someone who's never played there at this level without a viable backup plan. Which is what's happened with Bogaerts.  They were so certain that he was going to succeed there that they gave him the position without even a Plan B.  And I'm sorry but that's dumb.  Regardless of what scouts tell you, a team always should have a Plan B in their pocket for a young player because some "can't miss" prospects DO.   

[/QUOTE]

What exactly do you think they should have done for a Plan B at shortstop this year?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

More of your not so subtle political crap inserted into a baseball comment? I thought you were going to THINK before you posted. Its getting old.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

[/QUOTE]
    As predicted, he's pushin' the envelope.  He wants to see what he can get away with without being banned.  

It's somewhat like what I did as a kid - throwing a baseball at a garage wall seeing how close I could come to the window without breaking it.  Let's say it didn't end well. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you think Ben is running this team, your naive. Larry "the Hatchetman" Luchinno is running this team. The only thing Ben does is get Larry's coffee. Larry is in cheapskate mode, and by that he wants major league minimum minor league players to play to save money for John Henry. He is the one that sold these supposed major league ready youth to the fans, and these kids are not ready. Ridiculous starting the year with two minor leaguers in the lineup and letting Saltalamachia and Ellsbury go. They made a lot of money up in Boston last year for John Henry and he should have kept his main players and gradually worked in his "major league" ready rookies. 

I do not like Luchinno for what he did to Terry  Francona and the negative press they gave him going out the door. 

[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this assessment of Lucchino and Ben.  IMO, Ben is more focused on developing the farm system and cost-controlled players, while Lucchino has always pushed for the splashy free agents.  It is those splashy free agents who tend to sell tickets and merchandise, and make money for the team. 

At any rate, with the payroll the Sox have had since this ownership group has taken over, I don't get the whole "cheapskate" mentality.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Winner of the Post of the Week Award.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I agree.