Bench Coach Varitek right now!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

Bench Coach Varitek right now!!

Please, please, please!  It would be awesome to see him sending in signs to Salty.  I bet he'll eventually be a pitching coach.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Bench Coach Varitek right now!!

"rah! rah! rah!" chanted the Blind Homers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

In Response to Re: Bench Coach Varitek right now!!:
    [QUOTE]"rah! rah! rah!" chanted the Blind Homers.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Blind?  If you don't recognize that he called 4 no-hitters by different pitchers... who is blind?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think he starts out managing in the lower minors. I kind of see him as a manager once he pays his dues.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Bench Coach Varitek right now!!:
    [QUOTE]Please, please, please!  It would be awesome to see him sending in signs to Salty.  I bet he'll eventually be a pitching coach.
    Posted by jmmyslinski[/QUOTE]

Serious?
    Jason Varitek's ego is too big to be part of this team or to be a manager.
    I believe HE knows that better than most fans.
    Hopefully he will find some hobbies and enjoy retirement.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He might be best used as a pitching coach who can help out the catchers as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brown615. Show Brown615's posts

Take the Fisk number OFF the wall and put Varitek's up there.  Jason was a team man; Fisk comes by when they pay him.  Fisk also played more for another team, while Jason played only for the Red Sox and in more games.  Fisk also absolutely ignored the fans, even though we paid his salary.  Jason Varitek is a class guy; yeah, he got old and slow (I'm older & slower), but he put in the effort to contribute by making the pitchers better.  We were lucky to have him.  I heard or saw all the no hitters!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bench Coach Varitek right now!! : Blind?  If you don't recognize that he called 4 no-hitters by different pitchers... who is blind?
    Posted by jmmyslinski[/QUOTE]

HAHHAHHAHAHA!  4 no hitters over how many years? So who was calling all those games that we lost when he caught? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bench Coach Varitek right now!! : HAHHAHHAHAHA!  4 no hitters over how many years? So who was calling all those games that we lost when he caught? 

How many games did we win when varitek caught?

What happened in 2006 when V tek went down and we had to replace him with the likes of Javier Lopez?

How about in 2002 after he got injured?

How about last year when he had a much higher winning percentage then our other cather (salty)?

I know its easy to dump on a guy after the twilight of his career but maybe its time to stand back and appreciate what he did for the red sox. As far as im concerned varitek will always be a redsox legend to me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Celebrate his career, thank him for a job well done, and let him figure out what he wants to do with the rest of his life.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chasemon. Show chasemon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bench Coach Varitek right now!! : HAHHAHHAHAHA!  4 no hitters over how many years? So who was calling all those games that we lost when he caught? 

Varitek was a solider for many years! I would love to see him on the bench! 2 rings, CAPTAIN FOR YEARS!.....Burito, maybe you should root for the other team!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4413657. Show user_4413657's posts

If he's smart, he'll spend the summer enjoying his new wife/fiance and think about the next stage of his baseball career in 2013.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

As reported this morning on Boston sports, "Veritek is expected to stay with the organization in some capacity"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]Take the Fisk number OFF the wall and put Varitek's up there.  Jason was a team man; Fisk comes by when they pay him.  Fisk also played more for another team, while Jason played only for the Red Sox and in more games.  Fisk also absolutely ignored the fans, even though we paid his salary.  Jason Varitek is a class guy; yeah, he got old and slow (I'm older & slower), but he put in the effort to contribute by making the pitchers better.  We were lucky to have him.  I heard or saw all the no hitters!
    Posted by Brown615[/QUOTE]
    Extremely bad notion, which of course will never happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]As reported this morning on Boston sports, "Veritek is expected to stay with the organization in some capacity"
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Yep! ya beat me to it J! that's what they said on D & C on WEEI early today. With all of his experience I would be willing to bet they make him some type of catchers coach to teach the youngstahs. How've you been J? good I hope.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

When did he become a coach, and why do you want him benched?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bench Coach Varitek right now!! : Yep! ya beat me to it J! that's what they said on D & C on WEEI early today. With all of his experience I would be willing to bet they make him some type of catchers coach to teach the youngstahs. How've you been J? good I hope.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Hey Hammah29r2, who is this Hingham Hammer? Is he an imposter or is he a neighbor down the street who happens to be a Yankee fan in Hingham.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bench Coach Varitek right now!! : Yep! ya beat me to it J! that's what they said on D & C on WEEI early today. With all of his experience I would be willing to bet they make him some type of catchers coach to teach the youngstahs. How've you been J? good I hope.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

I am, hammah. Thanks for asking. looking forward to the season and finally putting September behind us. sooner the better. Guessing the Sox make the announcement Thursday, after Tek makes his.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I'll never understand why anyone would think he's qualified to coach pitchers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]I'll never understand why anyone would think he's qualified to coach pitchers.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

Some folks confuse the art of calling a game with the art of throwing a baseball.

Tek would probably make an excellent bullpen/catching coach.

I wouldn't want him to be doing any tweaking of my Ace's pitching mechanics.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Varitek needs more experience with coaching before an ex-catcher becomes the pitching coach. He'd also be a distraction, chasing the latest sideline sexpot reporter.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bench Coach Varitek right now!! : How many games did we win when varitek caught? What happened in 2006 when V tek went down and we had to replace him with the likes of Javier Lopez? How about in 2002 after he got injured? How about last year when he had a much higher winning percentage then our other cather (salty)? I know its easy to dump on a guy after the twilight of his career but maybe its time to stand back and appreciate what he did for the red sox. As far as im concerned varitek will always be a redsox legend to me.
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]

Uh okay.... somebody has to be catching when we win. Please tell us how many RIBBIES Tek had in those wins, and how many of theose ribbies were driven in when we won by 2 runs or less?  Afterall if the team won by 4+ runs it really doesn't matter who caught or how many hits Tek had.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

The Sox are at the limit for what a team can have as coaches.     If he wanted the job as pitching coach, he should have retired as a player and approached Lucchino when Curt Young was let go.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bench Coach Varitek right now!! : Uh okay.... somebody has to be catching when we win. Please tell us how many RIBBIES Tek had in those wins, and how many of theose ribbies were driven in when we won by 2 runs or less?  Afterall if the team won by 4+ runs it really doesn't matter who caught or how many hits Tek had.

He had a 46 point higher OPS in late & close games than his overall OPS.

He had...
    2 RBIs in and 8-7 win
    2 in a 4-2 win
    1 in a 3-2 win
    2 in a 5-3 win
    1 in a 4-3 win
    3 in a 9-5 win
    1 in a 4-3 win (mid Sept)

but his real contributions to the 42-22 record in games he caught was how well the pitchers did when he played. That's the part that "matters" most and you are discounting.