Ben's next move??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

Ben's next move??

What will the GM of the RED SOX do next?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Ben's next move??

Can tell you this, its not going to involve spending much money. Larry Luchinno speaks with forked tongue, "The Red Sox will have a high payroll" . My question back then was what does he consider a high payroll. Your seeing this team save millions and go in the "high character" low productivity mode and the "Young Prospect Mode". The Young prospect mode takes a while and don't forget those players are at the major league minimum. There are no guarantees either Lavarnway and Iglesias cannot hit and we saw that last year. This "Prospect Move" saves management millions more while they are still charging the top dollar that they do at Fenway. This will put even more money in John Henry's pockets. 

Young Ben really sold his soul to the devil to take this job as a GM with Larry Luchinno and John Henry. I was okay with the Napoli move, but not in love with it. The rest of them were low level cannon fodder. This is not a very talented ball club and is not going anywhere this year. The one thing that amazes me is that they gave Dempster 13 million and Victorino 13 million. They should have given Hamiliton 25 million who is more talented than either of those two.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

What will Ben do next?  Probably dump Ellsbury for nothing in return at the trade deadline.

Then after that sometime in late October - he'll go work for aTheo in Chicago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

A trade, involving one of: Saltalamacchia, the bullpen, or even Ellsbury. If Ells is dealt, it is for another OF. We continue to acquire pitching depth throughout the offseason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

it is going to be a brutal season....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Agreed. 

Watch the media blame the manager.

At some point veterans will blame the media/fans for too much negativity. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

Agreed. 

Watch the media blame the manager.

At some point veterans will blame the media/fans for too much negativity. 

If only they really knew how positive you are...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Oh the sox don't wrooy about realists.  They have plenty of toadies like you to buy gear and cheerlead.

You are wearing a Gomes shirt right now.  We all know that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Ben will probably trade Ellsbury, pay his salary for a year and pick up Lillibridge and Stewart again because they have options. he is a bigger idiot than I thought he was. All the other GMs are aware of it, thats why the Dodgers went to Luchinno and not Junior Ben. His trades have been atrocious as well Melancon, Bailey, Sweeney, Lillibridge, Stewart, Carpenter, Cook, and then converting Bard to a starter. He should have been shown the door when the Boy Genius went to the Cubs as well. But he sold out to Larry Luchinno and we are seeing it now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Claim Sandy Rosario off from waivers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"BLOCKBUSTER"  !!!!!

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Next move?  Signing S. Drew and Swisher.

Soon to follow?  Trade of Ells, Iglesias, Salty/Lavarnway, and Doubront or Morales for the Best starter he can get...someone for the top of the rotation.

Lineup: (not in batting order)

C:  Ross/Lavarnway or Salty/Napoli

1B:  Napoli/Swisher

2B:  Pedroia

3B:  Middlebrooks

SS:  Drew/Ciriaco

LF: Gomes/Kalish

CF:  Victorino

RF:  Swisher/Kalish

Rotation:  PTBTF, Lester, Buchholz, Dempster, Lackey with Morales or Doubront and De Larosa in the wings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Ben is going to make sure that the Napoli deal is fully taken care of. 

In the meantime, teams like the Blue Jays, Angels and Royals are getting much better. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

Oh the sox don't wrooy about realists.  They have plenty of toadies like you to buy gear and cheerlead.

You are wearing a Gomes shirt right now.  We all know that.

If I had a Gomes short, I woukld wear it proudly and hope Gomes had a great season.  Do I expect him to?  Of xcourse not.  I hope he succeeds in a limited role, and that is probably about it. 

You on the other hand will repeatedly cheer against Gomes and come out here and make incessant posts about how right you were, and how they never should have brought him on.  And should Gomes ever have a good day, you will most defintely not be coming on thse boards, happy that Gomes made a game mre enjoyable to watch.    We all saw this with Bailey last season.  Did you ever once acknowledge Bailey was fresh from an injury that could have lead to his subpar season, or was Ellsbury the only player on the roster you afforded that excuse?

I do not understand you "the team needs to follow MY plan because it is the only course of action that makes sense" types.   This is a level of ego I cannot identify with.  Dumber still is yuo are already venturing into blaming those who disagree with you for this offseason.  Reality check - the Sox FO probably has no idea this message bosrd exists, and will never take anything any of us say seriously even if they did.   Some of us are fans of the Red Sox, and not completely and totally afns of ourselves.    

and sometime, drop the "with me or against me" mentality.  I have sad very little about any move yet, although I have offered potential explanations.  To you, this seem to constitute not only acceptance, but blind willingness to follow.    You know you have entered this follish level of behavior if you have ever used to word "apologist," because anyone who uses that word is one of those who think their opinion is the only true one.  That word is only brandished by the stupidly egomanical. ..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

Can tell you this, its not going to involve spending much money. Larry Luchinno speaks with forked tongue, "The Red Sox will have a high payroll" . My question back then was what does he consider a high payroll. Your seeing this team save millions and go in the "high character" low productivity mode and the "Young Prospect Mode". The Young prospect mode takes a while and don't forget those players are at the major league minimum. There are no guarantees either Lavarnway and Iglesias cannot hit and we saw that last year. This "Prospect Move" saves management millions more while they are still charging the top dollar that they do at Fenway. This will put even more money in John Henry's pockets. 

Young Ben really sold his soul to the devil to take this job as a GM with Larry Luchinno and John Henry. I was okay with the Napoli move, but not in love with it. The rest of them were low level cannon fodder. This is not a very talented ball club and is not going anywhere this year. The one thing that amazes me is that they gave Dempster 13 million and Victorino 13 million. They should have given Hamiliton 25 million who is more talented than either of those two.

Well said, I very much agree.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

next move...i guess it will be polishing up his resume because he wll need a new job next year

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

They gave everyone they signed essitially $13mill per year.  Napoli, Victorino, Dempster, Ortiz.  Everyone but D Ross and Gomes.

That is a little too coincidental, especially when one notices that number is essentially the same amount as a qualifying offer.  Could part of the strategy here entail making sure the qualifying offer looks less appealing, which in turn means more draft picks?  

Of course, the playuers will have to play well enough to want to turn down the qualifying offer before this matters...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think ben has to deal salty at some point, one interesting player who's name has popped up as being available following the josh hamilton deal is kendrys morales. he is 29, is a switch hitter, and is a few years remove from a season in which he posed .306 34 108, and he is not scheedule to make much this coming year. he has the ability to be a middle of the order bat, which he was before he broke his leg in a freak injury.

ellsbury

pedroia

morales

ortiz

middlebrooks

napoli (move him to catcher)

victorino

kalish/gomes

iglesias

that would give us a good offense with the potential to be one of the better ones in the AL. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i think ben has to deal salty at some point, one interesting player who's name has popped up as being available following the josh hamilton deal is kendrys morales. he is 29, is a switch hitter, and is a few years remove from a season in which he posed .306 34 108, and he is not scheedule to make much this coming year. he has the ability to be a middle of the order bat, which he was before he broke his leg in a freak injury.

ellsbury

pedroia

morales

ortiz

middlebrooks

victorino

kalish/gomes

iglesias

that would give us a good offense with the potential to be one of the better ones in the AL. 

+1

I am right behind you on this. He is the odd-man out in the Angels line-up. He is always going to be blocked by Pujols. I read an article that said he was playing with his ankle all bandaged up last year, and he still had a pretty good year as DH. So far this off-season, he has no bandage any more and is back to his normal weight. He should return to form.

He was just short of $3M last year. It is an arb year for him. Angels have to decide who they trade: Trumbo (~$500K/year), Bourjos (~$500K/year), or Morales (+$3M this year).

Morales was a monster of epic proportions before he got hurt. Given the health of Papi and Napoli, I would try to trade for him. Guaranteed he would get a lot of playing time at DH or at 1st.

Good post!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

ellsbury

pedroia

morales

ortiz

middlebrooks

victorino

kalish/gomes

iglesias

I like Morales as well and have been thorwing that name aroud for waaay too long this offseason.   I do doubt 1 year Saltalamacchia  nets so much, however.   Salty will have his appeal to some teams, not sure if th Angels, who just extended Chris Iannetta not so long ago, will be among his suitor

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

notin i dont think salty would be in that deal unless its a 3 team deal. more likely scenario is that the sox would trade prospects to the angels for morales. i really home ben c gets this one done. if we get morales at reasonable price it could be a huge steal. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

apparently the sox are interested in rick porcello, so lets say the sox get porcello for prospects, then we could flip doubront plus minor prospects to the angels for morales. as result sox would have a rotation of

lester

dempster

buchholz

lackey

porcello

Sections
Shortcuts