Ben's next move??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Re: Ben's next move??

The one thing that gives Salty and Lavarnway trade value is their position. There's just not that many good catchers out there. And while they both have holes in their games (Salty's inconsistancy at the plate and Lavarnway still being a prospect with defensive question marks) they still are better than many other starting catchers in the leagues. Now are they ever going to bring you a top 2 starter all by their lonesome, of course not. But they could both be big additions to a package of players.

As for Morales, if this was a few years ago, I'm sold. But after the injury, I don't trust him. It also hurts him in the field, turing him into primarily a DH. We already have Papi, and Napoli is your 1B now. I think the lineup is pretty much set at this point, with the only potential signings being a platoon mate for Gomes or maybe Drew. At this point they just need some pitching help. This lineup will score, we just have to hope the guys they pull in can help keep the other team from doing the same.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Although Ross hits RHPs and LHPs about evenly, he's still a drop off from Salty vs RHPs. 

I have mentioned several times that it makes sense to trade Salty this winter, but with SV in RF, Nava in LF vs RHPs, and maybe Iggy at SS FT, getting worse at catcher vs RHPs on offense is going to add to the issue at hand.

Salty would only be appealing to a contender or team that thinks they can contend in 2013. I'm not sure who is left out there that fits that category.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Although Ross hits RHPs and LHPs about evenly, he's still a drop off from Salty vs RHPs. 

I have mentioned several times that it makes sense to trade Salty this winter, but with SV in RF, Nava in LF vs RHPs, and maybe Iggy at SS FT, getting worse at catcher vs RHPs on offense is going to add to the issue at hand.

Salty would only be appealing to a contender or team that thinks they can contend in 2013. I'm not sure who is left out there that fits that category.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If only they really knew how positive you are...

[/QUOTE]

Oh the sox don't wrooy about realists.  They have plenty of toadies like you to buy gear and cheerlead.

You are wearing a Gomes shirt right now.  We all know that.

[/QUOTE]

realists? haha...That was funny.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]

You on the other hand will repeatedly cheer against Gomes and come out here and make incessant posts about how right you were, and how they never should have brought him on.  And should Gomes ever have a good day, you will most defintely not be coming on thse boards, happy that Gomes made a game mre enjoyable to watch.    We all saw this with Bailey last season.  [/QUOTE]

Take all the time you need to recount all of Bailey's accomplishments from last season.

And yes - you own Gomes this year.  You are the cheerleader - now cheer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You on the other hand will repeatedly cheer against Gomes and come out here and make incessant posts about how right you were, and how they never should have brought him on.  And should Gomes ever have a good day, you will most defintely not be coming on thse boards, happy that Gomes made a game mre enjoyable to watch.    We all saw this with Bailey last season.  [/QUOTE]

Take all the time you need to recount all of Bailey's accomplishments from last season.

And yes - you own Gomes this year.  You are the cheerleader - now cheer.

[/QUOTE]

I will cheer for every member of the Red Sox, not just the ones I pre-approved.

Own Gomes?  Wow, I think your brain cell is having issues.  You seem to have forgotten what the limits of a fan are.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Edgarpost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One can't recount Bailey's accomplishments from last year since he was on the DL until the end of the year and then he  was shaking off the rust in September. Is this a trick question?  Weren't you aware that he was out injured?

[/QUOTE]

As far as SG is concerned, only Ellsbury is allowed to get injured...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

This team is calling for the prospect route right now. I have seen so many Red Sox prospects disappoint over the last three years its amazing. Michael Bowden and Larrs Anderson never panned out as did Weiland the right handed pitcher we were running out every 5th day in September in 2011. Ranaudo looks like he is struggling in Triple AAA as well. Kalish does not look like he was advertised as well. He has had a slew of injuries as well. The one guy who I did like who had some key hits against good teams, Josh Reddick, Cherrington traded for Sweeney who cannot hit and Andrew Bailey who is constantly injured. We all know now how Reddick turned out, could have used him last year. 

My point being is a lot of time prospects do not pan out. Remember the Yankees in 2008 with Ian Kennedy and Phil Hughes who did not win a game between them that year. I know Ian Kennedy developed down the line for Arizona but it took about 3 years. The Yankees went an entirely different direction in 2009 and spent for pitching that year in AJ Burnett and CC Sabathia. I think this team is in for a long transition if this is going tonbe the route they are going to follow. They should reduce the prices at Fenway to watch this transition.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to Edgarpost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One can't recount Bailey's accomplishments from last year since he was on the DL until the end of the year and then he  was shaking off the rust in September. Is this a trick question?  Weren't you aware that he was out injured?

[/QUOTE]

Of course I remember his crystal thumb.  It took forever to heal and then when he came back he was the worst closer in baseball.

That is why I am glad we picked up a set up man - because that set up man will be closeing by June 30th

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

no worries, we have the Drew bloodline back in Boston....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Claim Sandy Rosario off from waivers.

[/QUOTE]

+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

What will Ben do next?  Probably dump Ellsbury for nothing in return at the trade deadline.

Then after that sometime in late October - he'll go work for aTheo in Chicago.

[/QUOTE]

Schumpeter's-Ghost is unhappy with the state of the Red Sox? Color me shocked.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Brawny27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What will the GM of the RED SOX do next?

[/QUOTE]

(1) get this Napoli contract fixed up

(2) could be signing Drew hopefully one year only

(3) figure out the budget once the arbitrations hearings are done

(4) get ready for the catchers and pitchers training session

(5) get ready for spring training

(6) get ready for the reg. season

(7) sit up in his box office spot eat baseball food watch baseball games

(8) invite Stephen King and other celebrities up to his box office

(9) doing interviews, evaluate the team through out the season watch baseball games

(10) get ready for trade deadline make trades watch more baseball games

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Cherington is more unpredictable than the North Koreans.   LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Next big move will be at the trading deadline. Ells will have a good Ells type of year and they trade him. Just like Nomar. They trade Ells for a bunch of practical players. We make a run at the playoff maybe.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I still think Swisher will be the next move.  Especially so if Napoli deal fall through.  Can't believe I actually predicted something correctly.  I was miserable with all my predictions last off-season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still think Swisher will be the next move.  Especially so if Napoli deal fall through.  Can't believe I actually predicted something correctly.  I was miserable with all my predictions last off-season.

[/QUOTE]

Don't see the Sox giving up the draft pick and the money that goes along with that pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Not saying I support it, either.  And I think you have a point.  Up to this point in time, Ben has signed only players who will not require giving up a draft pick.  But if the Napoli deal falls through, the best two options at 1B (LaRoche and Swisher) will both require giving up a draft pick.  And of the two, I think Ben will go with the switch-hitting, supposedly good clubhouse guy, Nick Swisher.

Hey, If I had had my way, the Sox would have signed Haren, Sanchez, Hamilton and Ross (Cody, not David).  I also like the totally unseen (for me, anyway) signing of Uehara.  But the rest of the signings I either lobbied against or have trouble seeing the value in, considering the high cost per season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I think I'm one of the few people here who actually likes the way Ben has gone about this offseason. The kids should be ready to come up in 2-3 years, so he's made sure 3 is the limit for contracts. Napoli, as long as they get past this hurdle, is a no brainer. They've been lacking a real right handed home run threat since Manny left, and he certainly fills that hole. They also got one of the most solid bullpen guys in the league, which adds to what should be a very good pen. If Bailey is healthy, Bard comes back to what he was and Melancon goes back to what he was in Houston (not great, but solid), then you have 4 guys with setup/closer stuff to work the end of the game. That's a lot of ifs, but it's also a lot of options. Outside of that, the short term additions of Drew and Ross are fairly obvious indicators that they will be looking to move either Salty or Lavarnway and Iggy or Ciriaco.

Also, I love their commitment on the limited years for Hamilton. He would have been great in the Sox lineup, but they've made a plan and they're sticking to it. Adding another corner outfielder would allow them to add Jacoby to the package with a catcher, shortstop, and probably either Doubront or Morales for a frontline starter.

A team that looks like this...not too shabby

C Lavarnway or Salty

1B Napoli

2B Pedroia

SS Drew

3B Middlebrooks

LF Gomes

CF Victorino

RF Swisher?

DH Papi

UTIL Ciriaco or Iggy

4OF Kalish

SP Lester

(insert traded for pitcher here)

Buchholz

Dempster 

Lackey

BP Breslow, Miller, Tazawa, Uehara, Bard, Melancon, Bailey, Carpenter, Pimentel, Morales or Doubront as your 6th Starter. There's a very good pool of players to choose from here. I think the Pen could be a very strong point on this team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think I'm one of the few people here who actually likes the way Ben has gone about this offseason. The kids should be ready to come up in 2-3 years, so he's made sure 3 is the limit for contracts. Napoli, as long as they get past this hurdle, is a no brainer. They've been lacking a real right handed home run threat since Manny left, and he certainly fills that hole. They also got one of the most solid bullpen guys in the league, which adds to what should be a very good pen. If Bailey is healthy, Bard comes back to what he was and Melancon goes back to what he was in Houston (not great, but solid), then you have 4 guys with setup/closer stuff to work the end of the game. That's a lot of ifs, but it's also a lot of options. Outside of that, the short term additions of Drew and Ross are fairly obvious indicators that they will be looking to move either Salty or Lavarnway and Iggy or Ciriaco.

Also, I love their commitment on the limited years for Hamilton. He would have been great in the Sox lineup, but they've made a plan and they're sticking to it. Adding another corner outfielder would allow them to add Jacoby to the package with a catcher, shortstop, and probably either Doubront or Morales for a frontline starter.

A team that looks like this...not too shabby

C Lavarnway or Salty

1B Napoli

2B Pedroia

SS Drew

3B Middlebrooks

LF Gomes

CF Victorino

RF Swisher?

DH Papi

UTIL Ciriaco or Iggy

4OF Kalish

SP Lester

(insert traded for pitcher here)

Buchholz

Dempster 

Lackey

BP Breslow, Miller, Tazawa, Uehara, Bard, Melancon, Bailey, Carpenter, Pimentel, Morales or Doubront as your 6th Starter. There's a very good pool of players to choose from here. I think the Pen could be a very strong point on this team.

[/QUOTE]

No Swish, But I Like It. Gomez LF, Ells CF, Vic RF,

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If only they really knew how positive you are...

[/QUOTE]

Oh the sox don't wrooy about realists.  They have plenty of toadies like you to buy gear and cheerlead.

You are wearing a Gomes shirt right now.  We all know that.

[/QUOTE]

realists? I actually did LOL...Thanks...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

just read on mlbtr that drew smyly is available via trade, he is 23, left handed, and had a pretty good year last year. I would take my chances on him over porcello at this point, hope the sox get in on dealing for smyly. young lefty with big potential.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Sections
Shortcuts