Ben's press conference

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Ben's press conference

Did you notice how he mumbled a lot and looked down while being grilled about all the non-moves he made? His voice was real shaky until the questions became more friendly, then he perked up and actually made eye contact. There was even a hint of a smile.

All he had to tell those guys was that this was his first year at the helm and he didn't feel comfortable making any decisions that might jeopardize his losing his key to the executive restroom.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Ben's press conference

he was simply horrible.
    would you make a trade with that "man"?  me neither.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

FIrst of all, I really believe his best move was none at all, instead he got a quality lefty reliever (but gave up a quality righty reliever and CC's caddy, who should never have been dropped to Pawtucket after the DL in the first place). 

Cherington knows the team has been underperforming, probably has noticed the team is playing a lot better with Ciriaco at SS and understands he's got a good thing going with his two catchers right now. He was saddled with BV by LL from a day-to-day standpoint.

Anyway, lighten up on Ben. Press conferences are obviously not his best suit. He's been the guy in the background for so many years going back to Duquette.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

If we are going to judge people on press conferences what about Bobby V?

He always looks and acts like he just ate a mouthful of Xanax.  

Not saying I am impressed by Ben thusfar.  I am not. But I could care less about press conference performances.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

This is unbelievable!!

I have never seen these fans being so hatre toward to Ben or Beckett or maybe Lester or BV or Crawford. 

Seriously, blame Theo for signing too many bad contract players.  

Now it is too late.  Time to just to support Boston to win it all this year!!  

So far they won four in a row especially playing against a very good teams.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

snake, BV always looks like the most tired man on Earth. Exhausted. If he lasts past this season, I'm afraid he'll go into a.....coma

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

hahaha.  +1 DC

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

He said the the team being at .500 added a layer of difficulty in making any trades. That it would have been easier to do a deal if we were above .500.
    That tells me he's taking the wait and see approach. He's like the guy who won't buy something until it goes on sale, only to find that, when he finally acquiesces, the item is sold out, or a newer model has taken it's place.

Everyone on here know we needed some SP, and all the rumors indicated the Sox were looking for some. Why did Ben not want to strengthen the rotation?
    There is no indication that the Breslow trade was meant to put Morales in the rotation. He may go in now, but only because Beckett may be out.
    All we did was trade a RH arm for a LH arm. Now we have 3 in the BP. Last year, we had one, and that didn't seem to bother anyone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

harv, that part I do agree with. This need for short lefties is beyond belief. The team had years where they had no lefties in the pen at all, and it wasn't really all that big a factor. One year they got a lefty who was supposed to be great--Sauerberen?---he was a disaster for the Sox. He got some guys out, but when it counted, he got hit more than a few times and it cost the Sox some games. Lefties in the pen to me are overrated unless it's to get out a David Ortiz or Prince Fielder, but even then I don't put a premium on 1 out. You need 3-out pitchers to get the job done, and that means you have to be able to get out a lefty or a righty. They traded Albers when Atchison was hurt, so unless they actually figure out that Mortenson deserves to be on the roster, they are short righty relievers who can go 4 outs, and Albers was that. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ben seemed ok...he was sincere about standing pat...and if i had his track record of trades, id be reluctant to make a deal too

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

geo, EXACTLY. I really felt that Ben's future as a GM was better for him if he did nothing at all. If you make a trade or a blockbuster and it fails, he's the first guy to be the Fall Guy. Why risk it right now? He did what was best for him..Notice, I didn't say what was best for the Red Sox. Just best for HIM. Ben's smarter than people want to believe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I wonder how many people would have asked for Theo to be fired had the Nomar trade backfired. Had Nomar been super healthy for Cubs, had Cabrera not been so outstanding, and of course, had the Sox been swept by the Yankees in 04 instead of THE GREATEST COMEBACK IN MLB HISTORY...Theo pushed so many buttons that worked in 04, you almost have to think he was the son of the baseball gods.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Ben's press conference:
    FIrst of all, I really believe his best move was none at all, instead he got a quality lefty reliever (but gave up a quality righty reliever and CC's caddy, who should never have been dropped to Pawtucket after the DL in the first place).  Cherington knows the team has been underperforming, probably has noticed the team is playing a lot better with Ciriaco at SS and understands he's got a good thing going with his two catchers right now. He was saddled with BV by LL from a day-to-day standpoint. Anyway, lighten up on Ben. Press conferences are obviously not his best suit. He's been the guy in the background for so many years going back to Duquette.
    Posted by dannycater

Pretty much what I think except for the slam against Bobby V.  The reporters have to ask those questions, but the right move this time was what he did--also what he did in the 2011 postseason. Small moves. 

Meanwhile Bobby V is trying to use the players the Sox do have.

Dannycater started a thread dedicated to all those injuries and visits to the DL at almost every position.  Forget CC and Ells who are now back, albeit a little rusty.  The great and wondrous DH is on the DL because of the very risky maneuver of rounding 2B on a home run.  The regular SS is not playing because of a bone bruise, but not on the DL yet.  Pedroia's thumb caused more problems than the 15 days on the DL. Sweeney, a good fielder and handy backup against righty pitchers, is out for 8 weeks on a self-inflicted broken hand.  Bard self-destructs.   Pitchers with back problems and/or control problems, especially the big three (Lester, Beckett, and Buchholz).   

Back to Bobby V. He has CC back in the 2 slot pending Ortiz's return to the lineup and/or Crawford's election to have tommy john surgery during the season rather than after it. Ciriaco, the wunderkind, has played 2B, SS, and DH, all to keep that weird but hot bat in the lineup--under the skillful management of one Bobby Valentine. Heck, he's even experimented with the somewhat risky idea of using Salty as the DH, which means no backup for Shoppach if he is hurt.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

weird because every RRMC owner I have known throughout my life not one of them was a lawyer. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

How'd you like Rob Bradford, one of the Sox housemen, along with Wakefield, Caron, and Merloni, covering Ben with the story about Ellsbury, Beckett and Shoppach to Texas?
    It was such a lousy story, because no players coming to Boston were even mentioned.
    Texas' big prospects are at 3B and SS. Plus, they're loaded in OF.
    Sox probably would get David Murphy to have 75 lefty OFs, and Nolan Ryan's autograph, to solve the SP.
    Sounds like a feeble media attempt to make it look like Scared Ben was in on a potential blockbuster.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

oh, dang you are right.  i just got the point of your post. 
    my bad. 
    if 2+2 still = 4 then.....TN = soft? 
    if so, hahahaha your post is funny as F.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I just see the reasoning that if we were above .500 ..he wouldn't have made a significant move either......reasoning that "hey, we are playing good- why mess it up?"
    I support this team this year and winning but I won't make excuses for the Front Office....pitching has been issue...still is issue...and will continue to be issue till they address it.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

What's up buddy?  You seem all worked up again.

Sections
Shortcuts