Berry, Bogaerts, Carp and the post-season roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Berry, Bogaerts, Carp and the post-season roster

Assuming we have 12 pitchers we'll have 4 positional subs:

• C - essential:  Ross
    • IF - essential:  Boegarts?  Is that why Midds is getting some time at 2B?
    • OF - Nava/Gomes counts as 1 sub
    • 4th - surely Carp? 

That's a bit light on IF and OF defense and speed, but there's not a lot of wiggle room in a world of 12-man pitching staffs, is there?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Berry, Bogaerts, Carp and the post-season roster

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

• 4th - surely Carp? 

That's a bit light on IF and OF defense and speed, but there's not a lot of wiggle room in a world of 12-man pitching staffs, is there?

The maximum number of pitchers they would include on a post season roster would be 11, with 10 even a possibility.  They only use 4 starting pitchers.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

[QUOTE]

• 4th - surely Carp? 

The maximum number of pitchers they would include on a post season roster would be 11, with 10 even a possibility.  They only use 4 starting pitchers.  

[/QUOTE]

You sure?  The Giants stayed at 12 last year, and the Tigers stayed at 11.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

2011 Rangers 11, Cardinals 12

Personally I think 11 is sufficient because, as you pointed out, the 5th SP role is redundant....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They should have no more than 11 pitchers. Add another OF. Maybe JBJ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I was willing to bet Slomag that Berry makes the post season roster before JBJ, but he didn't want to hear it.  I don't think JBJ is considered unless a current outfielder is injured.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

This was a random post but is now interesting me:   2007 Sox WS pitchers:  11 (Josh Beckett, Manny Delcarmen, Eric Gagne, Jon Lester, Javier Lopez, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Hideki Okajima, Jonathan Papelbon, Curt Schilling, Kyle Snyder, Mike Timlin.)  Kyle Snyder?  Good for him, must love his ring.

2004:  10....though as crazy at it seems, that was a long time ago in baseball strategy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

I was willing to bet that Slomag that Berry makes the post season roster before JBJ, but he didn't want to hear it.  I don't think JBJ is considered unless a current outfielder is injured.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Quentin Berry is not exactly Willie Mays, but JBJ will not get a moment's thought in comparison

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I was willing to bet Slomag that Berry makes the post season roster before JBJ, but he didn't want to hear it.  I don't think JBJ is considered unless a current outfielder is injured.

I came back to this thread to post just that. I forgot the Sox got Berry for the postseason. Good defense and a lot of speed on the basepaths. Like Dave Roberts was on 04'.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

This was a random post but is now interesting me:   2007 Sox WS pitchers:  11 (Josh Beckett, Manny Delcarmen, Eric Gagne, Jon Lester, Javier Lopez, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Hideki Okajima, Jonathan Papelbon, Curt Schilling, Kyle Snyder, Mike Timlin.)  Kyle Snyder?  Good for him, must love his ring.

2004:  10....though as crazy at it seems, that was a long time ago in baseball strategy.

I agree that things have changed, but still think 11 is max (likely number).  The Giants may not have been able to come up with 14 postion players in their organization who would be useful. ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree that things have changed, but still think 11 is max (likely number).  The Giants may not have been able to come up with 14 postion players in their organization who would be useful. ;)

[/QUOTE]

I think we are agreement.  I think 12 should be max during the regular season, 11 in post. I started the thread with an assumption.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

I came back to this thread to post just that. I forgot the Sox got Berry for the postseason. Good defense and a lot of speed on the basepaths. Like Dave Roberts was on 04'.

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.  I admit Nava has surprised me this year, though Gomes has not.  But even though Nava has raised his defensive game this year....I think we need a far better fielder than either to defend late leads in the PS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'm surprised I'm the only one who thinks JBJ is more valuable than Berry.  Having JBJ in the OF can stop a base as easily as having Berry on the basepaths can win one.  And Bradley is not a liability with the bat.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm surprised I'm the only one who thinks JBJ is more valuable than Berry.  Having JBJ in the OF can stop a base as easily as having Berry on the basepaths can win one.  And Bradley is not a liability with the bat.

[/QUOTE]

Medium/long term I'd choose JBJ over Berry instantly, who wouldn't?  But Bradley's brief MLB batting performance was horrible, it was a gigantic liability.  And Berry has a few years on him plus experience in the post-season last year.  Seems an easy choice to me for Sep/Oct 2013....

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Medium/long term I'd choose JBJ over Berry instantly, who wouldn't?  But Bradley's brief MLB batting performance was horrible, it was a gigantic liability.  And Berry has a few years on him plus experience in the post-season last year.  Seems an easy choice to me for Sep/Oct 2013....

[/QUOTE]

As bad as JBJ was in 23 games - that's how bad Quntin Berry has been all year... at AAA.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think the Dave Roberts SB has gone to some people's heads. Having a PR on the roster would be nice, but...

Assuming health to all, this is my 25 for the playoffs:

11 Pitchers: Buch, Peavy, Lester, Lackey, Doubront (LR), Dempster (LR), Uehara, Tazawa, Breslow, Thornton, Workman (On the Bubble)

14 Position: Salty, Ross, Napoli, Pedey, Middlebrooks, Drew, Nava, Ellsbury, Victorino, Ortiz, Gomes, Carp, Bogaerts, JBJ (On the Bubble)

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Take the current 25 man and replace Britton with Berry

Replace Morales with Buchholz when Clay returns.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think the Dave Roberts SB has gone to some people's heads. Having a PR on the roster would be nice, but...

11 Pitchers: Buch, Peavy, Lester, Lackey, Doubront (LR), Dempster (LR), Uehara, Tazawa, Breslow, Thornton, Workman (On the Bubble)

14 Position: Salty, Ross, Napoli, Pedey, Middlebrooks, Drew, Nava, Ellsbury, Victorino, Ortiz, Gomes, Carp, Bogaerts, JBJ (On the Bubble)

Sox4ever

And why JBJ over Berry?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sox4ever

I beg to differ because I think you once again are favoring defense over offense.  The only thing Bradley brings to the big club is defense.  He has yet to hit MLB pitching and this year so far has 7 SB's and 7 CS's at AAA, which tells me he is at best a so-so baserunner.  Bradley's lack of speed is one reason why the Sox will try (but not too hard) to re-sign Ellsbury. 

A good pinchrunner is not a luxury in the postseason because there are plenty of opportunities to use one in late and close games, and right now the Sox don't have a pinch runner worthy of the name.  Over a 162 game regular season, a pinchrunner is a luxury because then you need a player with some versatility. But, once you add that 14th lineup player, you can afford a good pinchrunner. 

I do like Bradley because of his fielding and because I think he will be able to hit MLB pitching. Just not this year. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Clay would have to flash some real September brilliance before I'd want to give him a ride into the post season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

I beg to differ because I think you once again are favoring defense over offense.  The only thing Bradley brings to the big club is defense.  He has yet to hit MLB pitching and this year so far has 7 SB's and 7 CS's at AAA, which tells me he is at best a so-so baserunner.  Bradley's lack of speed is one reason why the Sox will try (but not too hard) to re-sign Ellsbury. 

A good pinchrunner is not a luxury in the postseason because there are plenty of opportunities to use one in late and close games, and right now the Sox don't have a pinch runner worthy of the name.  Over a 162 game regular season, a pinchrunner is a luxury because then you need a player with some versatility. But, once you add that 14th lineup player, you can afford a good pinchrunner. 

I do like Bradley because of his fielding and because I think he will be able to hit MLB pitching. Just not this year. 

[/QUOTE]

Also, for all the hype with regards to just letting JBJ step into CF after a half-hearted attempt to sign Ellsbury,  who would be the leadoff hitter in 2014?  Bradley? 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Also, for all the hype with regards to just letting JBJ step into CF after a half-hearted attempt to sign Ellsbury,  who would be the leadoff hitter in 2014?  Bradley? 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe not to start the year, but before long Bradley and his career .404 OBP will lead off.  In the meantime, maybe Pedroia or Victorino.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't have to decide all this today, because we have a bunch of guys on the roster, but on the DL, and we can substitute for any of those players before each series.  

So if we were facing a team with a big outfield, like Oakland or Detroit, we might want to put JBJ on the roster to cover more ground for those games.  But if we're facing the Rays with a small left field, and where the games will likely all be decided by a run or two, it might make more sense to carry Berry for that series to swipe a bag at a key moment.