Re: Berry, Bogaerts, Carp and the post-season roster

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think the Dave Roberts SB has gone to some people's heads. Having a PR on the roster would be nice, but...

Assuming health to all, this is my 25 for the playoffs:

11 Pitchers: Buch, Peavy, Lester, Lackey, Doubront (LR), Dempster (LR), Uehara, Tazawa, Breslow, Thornton, Workman (On the Bubble)

14 Position: Salty, Ross, Napoli, Pedey, Middlebrooks, Drew, Nava, Ellsbury, Victorino, Ortiz, Gomes, Carp, Bogaerts, JBJ (On the Bubble)

Sox4ever

I beg to differ because I think you once again are favoring defense over offense.  The only thing Bradley brings to the big club is defense.  He has yet to hit MLB pitching and this year so far has 7 SB's and 7 CS's at AAA, which tells me he is at best a so-so baserunner.  Bradley's lack of speed is one reason why the Sox will try (but not too hard) to re-sign Ellsbury. 

A good pinchrunner is not a luxury in the postseason because there are plenty of opportunities to use one in late and close games, and right now the Sox don't have a pinch runner worthy of the name.  Over a 162 game regular season, a pinchrunner is a luxury because then you need a player with some versatility. But, once you add that 14th lineup player, you can afford a good pinchrunner. 

I do like Bradley because of his fielding and because I think he will be able to hit MLB pitching. Just not this year. 

[/QUOTE]

Also, for all the hype with regards to just letting JBJ step into CF after a half-hearted attempt to sign Ellsbury,  who would be the leadoff hitter in 2014?  Bradley? 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe not to start the year, but before long Bradley and his career .404 OBP will lead off.  In the meantime, maybe Pedroia or Victorino.

[/QUOTE]

What if Bradley takes a few years to establish himself as an OBP machine?  It would be nice if it happened nexy season...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

I think the Dave Roberts SB has gone to some people's heads. Having a PR on the roster would be nice, but...

11 Pitchers: Buch, Peavy, Lester, Lackey, Doubront (LR), Dempster (LR), Uehara, Tazawa, Breslow, Thornton, Workman (On the Bubble)

14 Position: Salty, Ross, Napoli, Pedey, Middlebrooks, Drew, Nava, Ellsbury, Victorino, Ortiz, Gomes, Carp, Bogaerts, JBJ (On the Bubble)

Sox4ever

I beg to differ because I think you once again are favoring defense over offense.  The only thing Bradley brings to the big club is defense.  He has yet to hit MLB pitching and this year so far has 7 SB's and 7 CS's at AAA, which tells me he is at best a so-so baserunner.  Bradley's lack of speed is one reason why the Sox will try (but not too hard) to re-sign Ellsbury. 

A good pinchrunner is not a luxury in the postseason because there are plenty of opportunities to use one in late and close games, and right now the Sox don't have a pinch runner worthy of the name.  Over a 162 game regular season, a pinchrunner is a luxury because then you need a player with some versatility. But, once you add that 14th lineup player, you can afford a good pinchrunner. 

I do like Bradley because of his fielding and because I think he will be able to hit MLB pitching. Just not this year. 

[/QUOTE]

1) If Bradley's in the OF, he's the best defender out there.  Having that over the course of 30 - 70 innings is far more valuable than having a guy on the bench for one play that may or may not work, and even if it works, may or may not result in a run.  It's not just what he does in LF - with a guy like Bradley in LF, the other OFs have less ground to cover, making the entire OF defense better.

2) Base stealing is great and a lot of fun to watch, but it's not a skill that ages well.  Ellsbury probably only has a couple more years of elite base-stealing left.  It shouldn't be much of a factor when bidding on a six+ year contract.

3) Bradley can hit major-league pitching.  He just hit a slump at the wrong time.  It's like saying Iglesias couldn't hit AAA pitching.  It was more about the hitter than the pitchers he was facing.  Maybe he won't have the .950 OPS against right-handers that he had at Pawtucket this year, but you won't have to take him out of the game the same inning you put him in, like you would Berry.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Also, for all the hype with regards to just letting JBJ step into CF after a half-hearted attempt to sign Ellsbury,  who would be the leadoff hitter in 2014?  Bradley? 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe not to start the year, but before long Bradley and his career .404 OBP will lead off.  In the meantime, maybe Pedroia or Victorino.

[/QUOTE]

What if Bradley takes a few years to establish himself as an OBP machine?  It would be nice if it happened nexy season...

[/QUOTE]

Then Pedroia, who has the ability to steal a base, and has a .20 OBP advantage over Ellsbury anyway, leads off.  Or maybe Cecchini, who has a better minor-league OBP than Wade Boggs, becomes ready.  Daniel Nava would be a pretty good leadoff guy.

What if the Sox sign Ellsbury to a six-year deal and he is immediately injured, as has happened in two of the last four years?  Or what if JBJ's OBP at AAA is 100 points higher than Ellsbury's?   I'd put more money on JBJ stepping in than Ellsbury staying healthy and productive.  If the Sox want to throw money at a FA outfielder, I'd prefer Choo to Ellsbury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

1) If Bradley's in the OF, he's the best defender out there.  Having that over the course of 30 - 70 innings is far more valuable than having a guy on the bench for one play that may or may not work, and even if it works, may or may not result in a run.  It's not just what he does in LF - with a guy like Bradley in LF, the other OFs have less ground to cover, making the entire OF defense better.

2) Base stealing is great and a lot of fun to watch, but it's not a skill that ages well.  Ellsbury probably only has a couple more years of elite base-stealing left.  It shouldn't be much of a factor when bidding on a six+ year contract.

3) Bradley can hit major-league pitching.  He just hit a slump at the wrong time.  It's like saying Iglesias couldn't hit AAA pitching.  It was more about the hitter than the pitchers he was facing.  Maybe he won't have the .950 OPS against right-handers that he had at Pawtucket this year, but you won't have to take him out of the game the same inning you put him in, like you would Berry.

[/QUOTE]

30-70 innings?! In one post season series?  He would be lucky to ever get in a game!  Again, they aren't going to replace Victorino or Ellsbury and they aren't going to take Nava or Gomes' bat out of the line-up for Bradley's defense unless they have a big lead late.  That's all he brings. Nothing else.  Also, 1/2 of the games will be at Fenway where a late inning defensive replacement isn't really needed.  You keep mentioning that Bradley Jr. "will be able to hit" and Berry "won't." Bradley Jr. won't be playing in a close game, so it doesn't matter.  Berry hit over .250 for Detroit last year, so he's not exactly a pitcher with a bat in his hands.  Make the bet.  Barring injury, there is no way they choose JBJ over Berry in a post season series, and that's without mentioning the fact that Berry played in 11 post season games for Detroit last year.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

30-70 innings?! In one post season series?  He would be lucky to ever get in a game!  Again, they aren't going to replace Victorino or Ellsbury and they aren't going to take Nava or Gomes' bat out of the line-up for Bradley's defense unless they have a big lead late.  That's all he brings. Nothing else.  Also, 1/2 of the games will be at Fenway where a late inning defensive replacement isn't really needed.  You keep mentioning that Bradley Jr. "will be able to hit" and Berry "won't." Bradley Jr. won't be playing in a close game, so it doesn't matter.  Berry hit over .250 for Detroit last year, so he's not exactly a pitcher with a bat in his hands.  Make the bet.  Barring injury, there is no way they choose JBJ over Berry in a post season series, and that's without mentioning the fact that Berry played in 11 post season games for Detroit last year.  

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Sox would put Bradley in as a defensive replacement in a minute over Nava or Gomes, even at Fenway.  He has by far the best arm and range of the three. 

Yes, Berry is nearly as bad as a pitcher at the plate.  Last year was a long time ago when you've hit .193 in a full season at AAA.

I'll make that bet.  Not only does JBJ play at least as many post-season games as Berry, but he's called up to Boston first.

Sections
Shortcuts