Best and worst Sox right now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Best and worst Sox right now

Frivolous OP, I grant you.  But I do it everyday.  Right now no question Ortiz is the best.  Yes, he's paid a lot more than, say, Sweeney, but he is making that particular gamble--to sign him for one more year--a good one.  So far.

The worst has to be a pitcher.  It could be McDonald, but he's only a spare part and unlikely to cost the Sox a game.  Melancon is ineligible because he's at Pawtucket.  Worst ERA in the bullpen is Aceves, but I think he will be OK and does have 3 saves to go with the 2 blown saves.  No, my candidate for worst Sox right now is Buchholz with 3 starts and an ERA of 9.00. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Re: Best and worst Sox right now

Hard not to agree.  Buchholz has some work to do thats for sure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Best - Hands down Big Papi.. I love it when Papi hits to opposite fields..

Worst - Few of the Sox fans here...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Best and worst Sox right now:
    [QUOTE]Best - Hands down Big Papi.. I love it when Papi hits to opposite fields.. Worst - Few of the Sox fans here...
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

You might mean me, and I accept.  Sometimes it's hard to stay positive. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Worst postional player = Dmac.  Dont worry he would be gone by the time Ellsbury or Crawford come off of the DL

Worst starting pitcher = Bucholtz.  More likely he will go on DL since there is something wrong with him.

Worst bullpen = Aceves.  He doesnt belong pitching after 8th inning.  Once Bard struggle, Bard move to bullpen, and Aceve will become the long reliever like he did last year.

So if you look at all three worst players, it can be fix easily.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'm going to go with Justin Thomas as the worst - Buch at least has a win, and his ERA is all his own.  Thomas's ERA does not include the inherited runners he has allowed to score.  Also, I'm assuming he's just keeping Miller's spot warm.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best and worst Sox right now : You might mean me, and I accept.  Sometimes it's hard to stay positive. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

no.. no.. I'm not pointing out anyone in particular. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Best: Dark blue wool hand knit by my sister.  They are made from a very light wool yarn and are incredibly comfortable.

Worst: Argyles ... is there anything so ugly as argyle socks?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Best and worst Sox right now:
    [QUOTE]Frivolous OP, I grant you.  But I do it everyday.  Right now no question Ortiz is the best.  Yes, he's paid a lot more than, say, Sweeney, but he is making that particular gamble--to sign him for one more year--a good one.  So far. The worst has to be a pitcher.  It could be McDonald, but he's only a spare part and unlikely to cost the Sox a game.  Melancon is ineligible because he's at Pawtucket.  Worst ERA in the bullpen is Aceves, but I think he will be OK and does have 3 saves to go with the 2 blown saves.  No, my candidate for worst Sox right now is Buchholz with 3 starts and an ERA of 9.00. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I am not removing Melancon's eligibility just because he was recently demoted.  If Melancon was even half of the decent backend guy he was in Houston, we are maybe 3 wins better.  Bailey going down was bad.  Melancon being not only ineffective, but actually sabotage, is just devastating to the bullpen. I vote melancon.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Some very good insights even though personally I sometimes do wear argyle sox. 

Spacemanephesus is without mercy, but he's dead on with respect to Melancon. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Best OPS:
    Papi      1.200
    Shopp   1.033
    Sween  1.026
    Aviles     .932
    C Ross    .907
    Pedey    .811
    AGon      .798
    Salty      .749
    Youk      .568
    DMac     .414

We only have 2 pitchers with a WHIP below 1.500:
    Atchison 0.857
    Beckett  1.169

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Max - No offense intended ... unless you wear argyle socks with a matching sweater vest in which case may God save your soul.

Ortiz is clearly the winner for best and I agree with Spaceman that Melancon is qualified and deserves the title of worst.  That said, I have hope that he gets it back together and is a decent pen arm for us for most of the year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Remember Melcanon came from NL at the same time he faced one of the better offense hitting team in MLB.  That is a heck alot of pressure for him to save the game or keep the game tied.

Since that two games, he fell apart including he got shelled in his last appearance against another very good offense hitting team in MLB.

Had he started as a closer against a weaker team, who know he would sort of build up his confidence.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]A frivolous OP.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  I admit it.  But some of the others have made it almost a decent thread. 

Sections
Shortcuts