Best free agents available for Sox in 2014-Who should Ben sign?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Best free agents available for Sox in 2014-Who should Ben sign?

In response to carnieSF's comment:

In response to jgallag1's comment:

I'm a big fan of Pence as long as they don't have to pay through the nose. Votto would be great...but you have both Napoli and Papi. Obviously it all hinges on the health issues of those two, but there's some serious power in any combo of the two. I think then you look at Starting Pitching.

We need starting pitching. The Sox  2012 rotation posted the worst ERA of any Red Sox rotation in history at 5.19.

You absolutely don't know anything yet.

We have 5 SPs who are all capable of returning to form, and three minor league pitchers that could develop very quickly.

And then you mention FAs like Lincecum and Garza, with no idea of whether or not they are healthy.  Lincecum had a 5.18 last year, with a declining K/W 3 straight years, is getting scorched in ST, and you're asking opinions about whether or not we should sign him in 2014?

Seriously?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/2014-mlb-free-agents.html

An updated list (3/20/13)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Possibles:

C: McCann (30)

1B: Morales (30)

C. Hart (32)- OF

Morse (32)

Morneau (33)

2B: Cano (31)

OF:  Choo (31)

Pence (31)

N Cruz (33)

SP:

Hughes (28)

Garza (30)

Lincecum (30)

Josh Johnson (30)

Feldman (30)

E Santana (31)

G Floyd  (31)

Wainwright (32)

Haren (33)

de la Rosa (33)

Halladay (37)

Closer: Hanrahan (32)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

The Doc.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Rick Porcello?  I read an article whre the Tigers may want to trade him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Rick Porcello?  I read an article whre the Tigers may want to trade him.

If we could get him for a couple player like in the hanrahan deal and stash him in AAA, then ok. My gut tells me he will cost too much.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Make 1 year lower single digit early offers and minor legaue contract offer to several of the 4 plus NL and high 4 and low 5 ERA 100 IP plus profiles. Promote the best farm arm options.

Promote from within on the position players.

The next free agent market is embarrassingly weak. Capitalize by taking cash and salary dump mistakes in the final year if the Red Sox are title contending and the right fit is on the summer trade market in 2014.

It's a little better than this year's class, but I agree: it is weak.

I might make a run at Wainwright or Garza or Floyd at a reasonable price, but I think promoting from within and making 1-2 key trades will be the best way to turn things around quickly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Make 1 year lower single digit early offers and minor legaue contract offer to several of the 4 plus NL and high 4 and low 5 ERA 100 IP plus profiles. Promote the best farm arm options.

The next free agent market is embarrassingly weak. Capitalize by taking cash and salary dump mistakes in the final year if the Red Sox are title contending and the right fit is on the summer trade market in 2014.

I might make a run at Wainwright or Garza or Floyd at a reasonable price, but I think promoting from within and making 1-2 key trades will be the best way to turn things around quickly.

the pitching in this upcoming FA class is leaps and bounds better than last offseason..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

the pitching in this upcoming FA class is leaps and bounds better than last offseason..

With the luxury tax going up next year plus we will be looking at more contracts coming off the books I see the Sox making a big splash next year.  Hopefully the best pitcher available to augment with the upcoming talent. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The names that really jump out at me are Kendrys Morales, Carlos Beltran, Coco Crisp, Nelson Cruz, Gavin Floyd and Edinson Volquez.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

The names that really jump out at me are Kendrys Morales, Carlos Beltran, Coco Crisp, Nelson Cruz, Gavin Floyd and Edinson Volquez.

the only name i see on the FA list is the Doc all the other names are white noise. IDC who else we target, i just want the Doc on my team next year

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

the only name i see on the FA list is the Doc all the other names are white noise. IDC who else we target, i just want the Doc on my team next year

He hasn't topped 90 on his fastball so far this year. That ship might have sailed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

He hasn't topped 90 on his fastball so far this year. That ship might have sailed.

really? didn't know that, i heard he was sick and had limited time in ST so far but i didn't know he was having trouble getting velocity... i hope not, he is probably my favorite non-sox pitcher. I've liked the guy since i was a child

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

really? didn't know that, i heard he was sick and had limited time in ST so far but i didn't know he was having trouble getting velocity... i hope not, he is probably my favorite non-sox pitcher. I've liked the guy since i was a child

Volquez is a very nice pitcher if he gets to FA. Morales is a pretty good power bat at 1B.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Volquez is a very nice pitcher if he gets to FA. Morales is a pretty good power bat at 1B.

oh yeah, there are a ton of good names on the FA list.. especially pitchers. much much more depth of quality starters than this past offseason.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Something tells me hes not going to be worth much next year. His past success is just that...Past.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JackieBradley. Show JackieBradley's posts

No long term contracts like for 6 or 7 years for over 30 players. Verlander would look good at the front of the rotation but Ben shouldn't go that route.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sox should sign McCann and turn him into 1B just like they did with Napoli and start new trend of turing catchers into 1B.  

BTW, Sox should extend Pedey to long term before signing anything.