Best team in MLB is

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Best team in MLB is

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

I never had a problem with the Yankee payroll - if you're dedicated to fielding a winning team, you should spend as much as you want.  

The PEDs are what really bothers me about the Yankees -  it's not just that so much of the dynasty years were tainted, it's that now that the rest of the game has acknowledged the problem and taken steps to correct it, the Yankees still seem hell-bent on finding ways to keep the game dirty.

Including Spring Training, Cervelli's hit five HRs in the 6 weeks since he was linked to Biogenesis.  He hit 10 in his seven-year minor league career prior.  How does anybody think this clown is a clean player?

Pettitte was caught in the act twice, each time saying it was only that one time.  If he has a career year at age 41, how do you give him the benefit of the doubt?

Colon has a secret experiment involving HGH performed in the Dominican Republic, and the Yankees pretend not to notice it and just look the other way.

Yankee fans like to point at Ortiz as a Red Sox cheater, but Ortiz was just a name on a list that contained more names than there were positive PED test results.  He has always denied using PEDs, but Yankee fans condemn him.  Well, now Robinson Cano is a name on a list, and it's a much smaller and more damning list than the one Papi was on.  Also, it's ten years later, and MLB no longer quietly condones these actions.  So can a Yankee fan point a finger at Ortiz but not at Cano?

I won't go into A-Rod, because I think most Yankee fans are embarrassed by him.  

As a Red Sox fan, I have an inherent hatred for the Yankees, but it used to be a hatred tinged with respect.  Now I find myself feeling like injuries like Cervelli's are more Karma than a bad break to career minor-leaguer having a great start to the season.  I actually wish I felt differently - I prefer hating the Yankees to despising them.

Bottom line any player/s found cheating should be bounced.

I love your selective witch hunts. Implying the Yankees are looking the other way is a stretch.

The media would have a ball with that accusation but there isn't a piece of evidence to back it up.

Manny and Papi both failed the MLB administered drug test for PEDS in 2003 prior to the 2004 season.

I would like to see the game cleaned up seems like it is happening at a snails pace, but it looks like we're making some progress.

No, everything always leads back to the Bronx - 3 of the 8 linked to Biogenesis are Yankees.  Two of the other five are Melky Cabrera and Jesus Montero.  A-Rod tried to buy the evidence of his guilt - it's a Yankee problem, and it's disgusting.

Ortiz's name was one of 104 on a list of positive test results, of which MLB confirms there were 96 actual positive results.  Somebody added 8 names to the list, and Ortiz was one of the biggest names in the game at the time.  Players who tested positive were notified at the time - so you have to believe that Ortiz is not only a cheater, but he doesn't even possess the integrity of A-Rod to come clean about the result.  And again, if you're pointing the finger at Ortiz, then you have to point it at Cano as well - he's a lot more believable, given the company he keeps.

I hate cheaters would like to see the first violation 1 year suspension and forfeiture of contract.

If I had a vote for the HOF none of the likely suspects would get my vote, don't care what their numbers were before or after they were caught.

Has Cano failed a test?

Ortiz failed a PED test administered by MLB.

Remember early in the season when Granderson's name was mentioned then dropped?

Guilt by association? A rumor is enough to convict someone?

Not in this nation. Not in court or the eyes of public opinion.

A paper trail, credible evidence, credible source/witness, a failed test is my rule of thumb.

I'm willing to give any player the benefit of the doubt until one of those thresholds is violated.

As far as I know just blind hate for the Yankees in itself isn't enough to condemn one of theirs of being a juicer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Back to the original question. Best team in MLB is......Boston Red Sox of course!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I never had a problem with the Yankee payroll - if you're dedicated to fielding a winning team, you should spend as much as you want.  

The PEDs are what really bothers me about the Yankees -  it's not just that so much of the dynasty years were tainted, it's that now that the rest of the game has acknowledged the problem and taken steps to correct it, the Yankees still seem hell-bent on finding ways to keep the game dirty.

Including Spring Training, Cervelli's hit five HRs in the 6 weeks since he was linked to Biogenesis.  He hit 10 in his seven-year minor league career prior.  How does anybody think this clown is a clean player?

Pettitte was caught in the act twice, each time saying it was only that one time.  If he has a career year at age 41, how do you give him the benefit of the doubt?

Colon has a secret experiment involving HGH performed in the Dominican Republic, and the Yankees pretend not to notice it and just look the other way.

Yankee fans like to point at Ortiz as a Red Sox cheater, but Ortiz was just a name on a list that contained more names than there were positive PED test results.  He has always denied using PEDs, but Yankee fans condemn him.  Well, now Robinson Cano is a name on a list, and it's a much smaller and more damning list than the one Papi was on.  Also, it's ten years later, and MLB no longer quietly condones these actions.  So can a Yankee fan point a finger at Ortiz but not at Cano?

As a Red Sox fan, I have an inherent hatred for the Yankees, but it used to be a hatred tinged with respect.  Now I find myself feeling like injuries like Cervelli's are more Karma than a bad break to career minor-leaguer having a great start to the season.  I actually wish I felt differently - I prefer hating the Yankees to despising them.

I love your selective witch hunts. Implying the Yankees are looking the other way is a stretch.

The media would have a ball with that accusation but there isn't a piece of evidence to back it up.

Manny and Papi both failed the MLB administered drug test for PEDS in 2003 prior to the 2004 season.

I would like to see the game cleaned up seems like it is happening at a snails pace, but it looks like we're making some progress.

No, everything always leads back to the Bronx - 3 of the 8 linked to Biogenesis are Yankees.  Two of the other five are Melky Cabrera and Jesus Montero.  A-Rod tried to buy the evidence of his guilt - it's a Yankee problem, and it's disgusting.

Ortiz's name was one of 104 on a list of positive test results, of which MLB confirms there were 96 actual positive results.  Somebody added 8 names to the list, and Ortiz was one of the biggest names in the game at the time.  Players who tested positive were notified at the time - so you have to believe that Ortiz is not only a cheater, but he doesn't even possess the integrity of A-Rod to come clean about the result.  And again, if you're pointing the finger at Ortiz, then you have to point it at Cano as well - he's a lot more believable, given the company he keeps.

I hate cheaters would like to see the first violation 1 year suspension and forfeiture of contract.

If I had a vote for the HOF none of the likely suspects would get my vote, don't care what their numbers were before or after they were caught.

Has Cano failed a test?

A paper trail, credible evidence, credible source/witness, a failed test is my rule of thumb.

I'm willing to give any player the benefit of the doubt until one of those thresholds is violated.

As far as I know just blind hate for the Yankees in itself isn't enough to condemn one of theirs of being a juicer.

You're talking in circles - we don't know that Ortiz failed a test - only that his name was on a list.  MLB confirms that there were more names on that list than failed tests.  Cano is also a name on a list of suspected PED users.  So again, apply whatever litmus tests you have to both players equally, and either both are innocent or both are guilty.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Back to the original question. Best team in MLB is......Boston Red Sox of course!

It's astounding so far, especially after last yr.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Has Cano failed a test?

You're talking in circles - we don't know that Ortiz failed a test - only that his name was on a list.  MLB confirms that there were more names on that list than failed tests.  Cano is also a name on a list of suspected PED users.  So again, apply whatever litmus tests you have to both players equally, and either both are innocent or both are guilty.

This is actually not true; Cano is not on the Biogenesis List per se, but there is unsubstantiated fringe info regarding an acquaintance. Regardless, I agree this is enough to make him a little suspicious. MLB should investigate IMO, and any NYY fan and the NYY FO should welcome this, given he's a FA at the end of the yr.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

slomag-

You offering excuses for why Ortiz could be innocent after failing an MLB administered test but casting suspicion over others like Cano with no actual proof is comical.

Ortiz failed the same test that Arod did and btw the only one that Arod has, but as far as proof goes that's good enough for me. They are both juicing cheats, one denies the other a confessed.

And Papi is to be believed that he didn't Juice because he denied like so many others including Lance Armstrong and Ryan Braun? Yeah ok, and there really is a tooth fairy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/07/30/ortiz.steroids/

David Ortiz failed drug test Union confirms DH on ’03 list; Manny Ramirez named

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2009/07/david_ortiz_failed_drug_test

Report: Manny, Ortiz tested positive

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4366335

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

The Giants are still the defending World Champs. They are only a couple games over 500 but till somebody knocks them off, they are still the champs. The Braves are right there as are the O's. And the Yanks considering all the injuries are right there. Nationals and the Angles are a dissapointment right now. And of course the Red sox are a pleasant surprise. Oh...... Go Celtics! (still alive) and go Bruins!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

The Giants are still the defending World Champs. They are only a couple games over 500 but till somebody knocks them off, they are still the champs. The Braves are right there as are the O's. And the Yanks considering all the injuries are right there. Nationals and the Angles are a dissapointment right now. And of course the Red sox are a pleasant surprise. Oh...... Go Celtics! (still alive) and go Bruins!

You are exactly as good as your record says you are, no better or worse. So right now the Bankees are not the best team in baseball; they are not even the best team in the ALE. Whether this pattern continues is anyone's guess. For my part I still think the Sox are about a .500 team by year's end.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

I don't expect the Sox or Yankees to be there in late September. I do think the Rays and O's will be 1 and 2 give or take. The Jays are certainly a surprise with thier bad start. I do expect the Giants to be in first place in late September. Hopefully we are near third with 85-maybe???? 90wins. if things go well.

You are exactly as good as your record says you are, no better or worse. So right now the Bankees are not the best team in baseball; they are not even the best team in the ALE. Whether this pattern continues is anyone's guess. For my part I still think the Sox are about a .500 team by year's end.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox and Yankees need to meet in the playoffs this year.  Make the rivalry more intense.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Back to the original question. Best team in MLB is......Boston Red Sox of cours

I'm enjoying it for now, it's only april.  If the pitching staff stays strong I think the sox have a shot at the post season.  I liked what I have see in lackey so far but again, it's april.

Last year is last year, I don't think about it, no point.  I'm pleased that all the changes this year seem to be working.

I hope to see the sox and yanks duke it out in october with the sox on top of course!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

slomag-

You offering excuses for why Ortiz could be innocent after failing an MLB administered test but casting suspicion over others like Cano with no actual proof is comical.

Ortiz failed the same test that Arod did and btw the only one that Arod has, but as far as proof goes that's good enough for me. They are both juicing cheats, one denies the other a confessed.

And Papi is to be believed that he didn't Juice because he denied like so many others including Lance Armstrong and Ryan Braun? Yeah ok, and there really is a tooth fairy.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2009/07/david_ortiz_failed_drug_test

Not that it means anything, but, in 2003 there were a number of substances, vitamins or whatver that were legal at the time.

What did he test positive for? Until we know all the facts all we can say is that both didnt pass the test and tested positive for something. was it legal at the time? was it not? There are a lot of things in simple protien powders and the like that are illegal. Until we know what it was, we can only speculate.

Until someone is proven guilty and we know for what substance and that that substance is illegal, and this includes all players from all teams, It is what it is.

Am I saying Papi is innocent? No, but Im also not saying hes guilty of anything either without all the evidence. Same with Cano and Cervelli.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I'm enjoying it for now, it's only april.  If the pitching staff stays strong I think the sox have a shot at the post season.  I liked what I have see in lackey so far but again, it's april.

Last year is last year, I don't think about it, no point.  I'm pleased that all the changes this year seem to be working.

I hope to see the sox and yanks duke it out in october with the sox on top of course!

Not me. I would be happier if the Bankees didn't even make the playoffs. I hope they lose every remaining game on their schedule.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Not me. I would be happier if the Bankees didn't even make the playoffs. I hope they lose every remaining game on their schedule.

Ah, come on pumpsie, where's your sense of adventure! It's much more fun to beat the yanks in october than the rays. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Me, either. The nerve racking 2004 ALCS, was more than enough. Actually, too much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox look formidable with their impressive 18-7 start, but after 25 games last year the Los Angeles Dodgers and Texas Rangers sported 17-8 records.

My point is that it's a long season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Me, either. The nerve racking 2004 ALCS, was more than enough. Actually, too much.

j-bay how can you say that!  Look how 2004 turned out.  Would it have been as much fun if the sox won against the rays or jays.  Of course not!  If the sox make it into the post season I would love to see them take on the yanks.  If the pitching stays strong I think they have a good chance. 

Of course this is april and I could very well be eating my words come september.  But for now I would love to see a head to head this october.  I think we are due for another win, it has been six years after all.Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The Red Sox look formidable with their impressive 18-7 start, but after 25 games last year the Los Angeles Dodgers and Texas Rangers sported 17-8 records.

My point is that it's a long season.

It is a long season and we may all be singing a different tune after the dog days of summer but why not have a little fun while we can!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

slomag-

Not that it means anything, but, in 2003 there were a number of substances, vitamins or whatver that were legal at the time.

What did he test positive for? Until we know all the facts all we can say is that both didnt pass the test and tested positive for something. was it legal at the time? was it not? There are a lot of things in simple protien powders and the like that are illegal. Until we know what it was, we can only speculate.

Until someone is proven guilty and we know for what substance and that that substance is illegal, and this includes all players from all teams, It is what it is.

Am I saying Papi is innocent? No, but Im also not saying hes guilty of anything either without all the evidence. Same with Cano and Cervelli.

There is no moral equivilency here lumping Ortiz with either Cano or Cervelli.

Papi failed a test for a substance that MLB deemed illegal when the test was given (for PEDS).

We don't know what specifically it was because the results are sealed, the names of those who failed were leaked.

The use of HGH was legal (in MLB) when Pettitte was nailed however possessing it was illegal, but no one here, me included has a problem considering him a cheat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

slomag-

Papi failed a test for a substance that MLB deemed illegal when the test was given (for PEDS).

We don't know what specifically it was because the results are sealed, the names of those who failed were leaked.

The use of HGH was legal (in MLB) when Pettitte was nailed however possessing it was illegal, but no one here, me included has a problem considering him a cheat.

The jury's still out on Cano, but Cervelli's dirty.  He's already contradicted himself - first saying he bought legal supplements, and then saying he never bought anything.  And now after seven years as a punch-and-judy slap hitter, he's suddenly a HR threat.  Dir-Ty.

That's how a cheater acts - he says one thing, gets caught in a lie, changes his story, swears he's telling the truth but has no comment for the media; he parses his words carefully, he's checking over his shoulder.  That's a Cervelli.  That's a Giambi.  That's an Andy Pettitte.  That's an A-Rod.  That's not a David Ortiz - Ortiz charged head on, has always asserted his innocence, and still has harsh words for cheaters.  His story never waivered and his stats don't support the narrative.  Of all the alleged drug users on "the list", Ortiz was one of only two players whose substance was listed as "unknown".  Of all the leaked names, Ortiz was the only player to claim that he was not notified of a failed test by the Player's association in 2003.

MLB has never confirmed that Ortiz failed a drug test.  It has confirmed that there are at least 8 names on "the list" of players who never failed a drug test.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Ortiz

spin all you want

I doubt there is anyone outside of RSN

that thinks ortiz has always been clean

Cano

I can't blame anyone 4 thinking he's using

saying it is a tad different

Cervelli.

as the greatJOSE TAVARES would say

''who cares''

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

j-bay how can you say that!  Look how 2004 turned out.  Would it have been as much fun if the sox won against the rays or jays.  Of course not!  If the sox make it into the post season I would love to see them take on the yanks.  If the pitching stays strong I think they have a good chance. 

Of course this is april and I could very well be eating my words come september.  But for now I would love to see a head to head this october.  I think we are due for another win, it has been six years after all.Wink

I can say it easily, 67. 2004 couldn't have turned out better, but 2003 couldn't have turned out worse. It was a heartbreaker and '04 could have turned out the same way. After 86 years, I don't think it really mattered who we beat to be crowned World Champions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

slomag-

The jury's still out on Cano, but Cervelli's dirty.  He's already contradicted himself - first saying he bought legal supplements, and then saying he never bought anything.  And now after seven years as a punch-and-judy slap hitter, he's suddenly a HR threat.  Dir-Ty.

That's how a cheater acts - he says one thing, gets caught in a lie, changes his story, swears he's telling the truth but has no comment for the media; he parses his words carefully, he's checking over his shoulder.  That's a Cervelli.  That's a Giambi.  That's an Andy Pettitte.  That's an A-Rod.  That's not a David Ortiz - Ortiz charged head on, has always asserted his innocence, and still has harsh words for cheaters.  His story never waivered and his stats don't support the narrative.  Of all the alleged drug users on "the list", Ortiz was one of only two players whose substance was listed as "unknown".  Of all the leaked names, Ortiz was the only player to claim that he was not notified of a failed test by the Player's association in 2003.

MLB has never confirmed that Ortiz failed a drug test.  It has confirmed that there are at least 8 names on "the list" of players who never failed a drug test.

Ortiz has denied like Lance Armstrong did.

So did Barry Bonds.

Manny didn't fail the 2003 test either.

How can anyone take you serious?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Best team in baseball to drugs/peds interesting road this thread took. BTW 

I change my vote to the Red Sox

this also shows how baseball fans in many cases will sling mud when they think they are losing an argument. If you stayed on topic this forum would be more civilized and worthy of great baseball talk. Yet some think they need to go into the gutter on every thread

Sections
Shortcuts