Best Trade for Future

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56beacon. Show 56beacon's posts

Best Trade for Future

(Hunter Pence RF) hits RGHT with power, speed, solid outfielder, 28 years old.
    Give up Josh Reddick, Iglesias, and either Bowden or Doubront. JD is done. His pay go's towards Pence. Reddick deserves a shot, but Pence is proven, check his stats people. Beltran is too old, think longer term. SS problems, give Yamaico a chance there, Marco and Jed won't cut it, the pitching is going to be fine, no need to panic here. Sox fans would love Hunter Pence, another Dirt Dog.           

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Best Trade for Future

Pence would be my first choice...I'm sure that Epstien would jump at the chance to get him...the problem is he'll cost more than your above package and not sure the Astro's new owners are interested is trading a home grown talant who they can build thier lineup and marketing around. end of the day they still gotta' sell tickets.

I would think that any deal for him would have to start with Ranuando and include either Kalish or Reddick with a lower level "projectable top prospect" like Brenz of Middlebrooks. Iglesias is still our best longterm fit at SS, so unless we aquire and or sign a guy to long term deal. Iglesias has more value to us than almost everyone in our system in the short term.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I would make that trade, don't think the Astros will, team doesn't have much going for them and would need more to deal him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Any long-term trade is going to involve Ellsbury, and when that happens we can do better than Pence (think McCutchen, Kemp, Hanley).  

Short-term Beltran for Reddick is probably a good deal.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Pence is a better fit than McCutcheon or Ramirez for what the Sox are seeking.
    Hanley is a head case and very inconsistent. McCutcheon isn't anything great.
    Pence is a Dwight Evans type. Rock steady and just getting to his prime.
    Imagine how much better he'd be in the Soxc lineup?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

JD's money has already been spent on Gonzalez.

Assuming a $170M budget, the Red Sox have $25M to spend on free agents this winter including Ortiz, Papelbon, Scutaro's $6M option, Wakefield, and Varitek, as well as anybody else you might want to bring in. If you trade Reddick for Pence, subtract his money from the free cash. Reyes would eat up the $25M singlehandedly.

The Red Sox budget might be a little more flexible than your typical household budget, but it isn't infinite.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In Response to Best Trade for Future:
    [QUOTE](Hunter Pence RF) hits RGHT with power, speed, solid outfielder, 28 years old. Give up Josh Reddick, Iglesias, and either Bowden or Doubront. JD is done. His pay go's towards Pence. Reddick deserves a shot, but Pence is proven, check his stats people. Beltran is too old, think longer term. SS problems, give Yamaico a chance there, Marco and Jed won't cut it, the pitching is going to be fine, no need to panic here. Sox fans would love Hunter Pence, another Dirt Dog.           
    Posted by 56beacon[/QUOTE]
    Looks like he would be a good edition but I really don't think he's worth Reddick + Iggy + Doubront

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Best Trade for Future:
    [QUOTE]JD's money has already been spent on Gonzalez. Assuming a $170M budget, the Red Sox have $25M to spend on free agents this winter including Ortiz, Papelbon, Scutaro's $6M option, Wakefield, and Varitek, as well as anybody else you might want to bring in. If you trade Reddick for Pence, subtract his money from the free cash. Reyes would eat up the $25M singlehandedly. The Red Sox budget might be a little more flexible than your typical household budget, but it isn't infinite.
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]

According to Cot's...the Sox currently have 126M (including Gonzalez new deal) on the books for next year. While I'm not exactly sure what the actual number is because it's based on the AAV of all contracts vs what they get in any particualr season. simple math is they've gappear to have around 40M to play with, so I think the Sox have plenty of wiggle room in thier salary structure to address thier needs with quality ball players...Starting with what they do with Papelbon and Ortiz...

That said, I agree they're not likely to add another 20M per year guy like Reyes but in the end they'll still field a formitable team in 2012...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tz8qHiYrIzlFtVnly7gibjw&output=html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Pence is a better fit than McCutcheon or Ramirez for what the Sox are seeking. Hanley is a head case and very inconsistent. McCutcheon isn't anything great. Pence is a Dwight Evans type. Rock steady and just getting to his prime. Imagine how much better he'd be in the Soxc lineup?
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Both Hanley and McCutchen are younger and significantly better than Pence.  Hanley will have an OPS over .900 before the season is over, just as he has for 3 of the past 4 seasons.

If Reddick's bat holds up, he will be terrific long-term in RF.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Best Trade for Future : Looks like he would be a good edition but I really don't think he's worth Reddick + Iggy + Doubront
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

yes he is!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Hanley can't catch a cold. Horrible 2 way player. There's more to baseball than OPS. Plus he's hitting a whopping .254 this season wtih 9 homers and 41 RBI.
    If Boston fans watched him give games away with his glove, at SS, the honeymoon would be very short lived. He's a year younger than Pence. Big deal.
    McCutcheon has never hit more than 16 homers or knocked in more than 56 runs. Yawn!
    Pence also has 56 outfield assists since his debut in 2007 to lead MLB outfielders.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Waiting for this thread to take a hard turn towards getting Jose Reyes...

Hoping it won't happen.

Hunter Pence. Hmmm. I like it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I don't think McCutcheon is going anywhere since the Pirates are right in the thick of things in the NL Central. Not looking for them to be sellers like in the past.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In Response to Best Trade for Future:
    [QUOTE](Hunter Pence RF) hits RGHT with power, speed, solid outfielder, 28 years old. Give up Josh Reddick, Iglesias, and either Bowden or Doubront. JD is done. His pay go's towards Pence. Reddick deserves a shot, but Pence is proven, check his stats people. Beltran is too old, think longer term. SS problems, give Yamaico a chance there, Marco and Jed won't cut it, the pitching is going to be fine, no need to panic here. Sox fans would love Hunter Pence, another Dirt Dog.           
    Posted by 56beacon[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking that you give the 'Stros what they want for Pence AND Wandy.  They can take care of Sox's needs as well as be a comfort to each other in a new clubhouse.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Trade for Future : According to Cot's...the Sox currently have 126M (including Gonzalez new deal) on the books for next year. While I'm not exactly sure what the actual number is because it's based on the AAV of all contracts vs what they get in any particualr season. simple math is they've gappear to have around 40M to play with, so I think the Sox have plenty of wiggle room in thier salary structure to address thier needs with quality ball players...Starting with what they do with Papelbon and Ortiz... That said, I agree they're not likely to add another 20M per year guy like Reyes but in the end they'll still field a formitable team in 2012... https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tz8qHiYrIzlFtVnly7gibjw&output=html
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]It sounds like a lot of money until you consider how many players aren't being brought into the total because of arbitration (notables include Bard and Ellsbury) and the FA which include Salty, Wake, Tek, Drew, Papelbon and Ortiz.

Another way to look at that is that RS need to secure pitchers to fill their two most important bullpen roles, two catchers, one OFer and a 100+ RBI DH. The SS position is also a slippery slope with Lowrie once again on the DL, Scutaro holding an expensive option and Iggy not hitting in AAA.

Then there is the pitching staff. Miller is no sure thing, Dice K likely not available for most of 2012. The RS very possibly need to acquire a pitcher this winter, if not resign Wakefield, who will likely ask for at least $4M (a bargain IMO) if he does return to Boston.

So the shopping list is:

1 starting pitcher
    2 catchers
    1-2 OFer
    1 DH
    1 closer
    1 set-up man
    1 starting SS
    1 utility IF

And that burns up a whole lot of that $40M in a hurry which is likely to be more like $36M after Ellsbury's arbitration. And considering the RS preference to avoid CBT and the need to be able to add payroll to adjust a team at mid-season there is a lot less wiggle room here than one would think at first blush.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]Waiting for this thread to take a hard turn towards getting Jose Reyes... Hoping it won't happen. Hunter Pence. Hmmm. I like it.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Didn't you just do that..........Innocent

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Trade for Future : yes he is!
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]
    I don't know ... maybe he is.  I just don't like the idea of giving up a prospect who has an X% chance of being a similar profile player PLUS a GG caliber SS and a decent pitcher.  If you said Iggy, Lars, Doubront + Kalish  I'd be on board, though.  Maybe I am overvaluing one or both of them but including both Reddick and Iggy crosses the line for me as being too expensive in terms prospects.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Kalish is projected to be better than Reddick.
    Ingelesis may never be more than a Mendoza line hitter.
    Remember all the people here who were aghast at the idea of trading the
    "Justin Morneau clone" Lars Anderson?
    Why do people think that because they're from the Sox system, they player must be a future star?
    MLB is littlered with "The Next Big Thing" from Cameron Maybin, Andy Mare, Austin Kearns, Felix Pie, Brandon Woods, JD Drew and on and on.
    Taking the player with the proven track record over a handful of promises, alway makes sense, ulless the player is just a rental.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I don't think that the Sox have the positional players to get Houston to bite on a deal. Sox would have to include pitching and in my mind Ranaudo is untouchable at the moment. Iggy, Reddick, Kalish et al? Meh. If I am Houston, not interested. Better deals are out there.
    Pence is also arb eligible. He may be looking at $15 mil per year (or more?) and he is an unknown under pressure. All things being said, I would try to resign Ellsbury rather than trade for Pence 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Hanley can't catch a cold. Horrible 2 way player. There's more to baseball than OPS. Plus he's hitting a whopping .254 this season wtih 9 homers and 41 RBI. If Boston fans watched him give games away with his glove, at SS, the honeymoon would be very short lived. He's a year younger than Pence. Big deal. McCutcheon has never hit more than 16 homers or knocked in more than 56 runs. Yawn! Pence also has 56 outfield assists since his debut in 2007 to lead MLB outfielders.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Hanley's healthy now, and raking (1.2 OPS in July).  He'll be where he always is by the end of the year.  He wouldn't work long-term as a SS, but he could be moved to the OF.

McCutchen is 24 and already has 14 HRs this year.  If for some reason you value HRs over OPS, he's a good bet for 25+ this year.  He has one fewer assist (you pick very odd criteria) than Pence, to go along with significantly better speed and range.  He's likely to improve, whereas Pence is peaking.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Few thoughts on the players listed here as targets:

Pence: Houston isn't shopping him. He is what they will build around IMO.

McCutchen: New flash, the Pirates are in a pennant race, they aren't moving him at the deadline.

Hanley Ramirez: Bad attitude, bad defense, accelerating contract. Fools gold.

Reyes: Often injured player that has so much buzz around him that his next contract is likely to look like Crawford's and we already have one inflated contract on the infatuation of moderate power, base stealing ability and plus defense. The Mets are going to want a haul for him, not happening.

Last thought is the team with the most runs in baseball needs more pitching, not another stick. Buch's return is cloudy, just what Lackey is certainly is a question mark, Miller's a work in progress whose last start looked like his career (lot's of BB and untimely hits), Weiland is a ham and egger and Doubront is an unknown. The future even as early as 2012 shows the RS need pitching, not another bat to a to their potent offense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Who cares? McCutcheon isn't going anywhere, and the Pirates are contending for their division.
    The Astros are 19 games out. Get it? It's like the old days when the Yankees used Kansas City as their farm team. The haves pick from the have-nots.
    Houston has no core to build on, Pence is 28, so they may as well reload starting with youth. Just as San Diego chose to do, only they were coming off one of their best seasons when the traded Adrian Gonzalez.
    Why not talk about getting Ryan Braun, while you have your fantasy clothes on?
    As for Billyblob, every post comes back to dumping Ellsbury.
    Get a life!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The issue with Pence is what is he going to be paid and will he perform under the bright lights? Pence most likely will get plus Markakis dollars..will he perform in Boston or Yankee stadium and will he be worth what the Stro's will command?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Who cares? McCutcheon isn't going anywhere, and the Pirates are contending for their division. The Astros are 19 games out. Get it? It's like the old days when the Yankees used Kansas City as their farm team. The haves pick from the have-nots. Houston has no core to build on, Pence is 28, so they may as well reload starting with youth. Just as San Diego chose to do, only they were coming off one of their best seasons when the traded Adrian Gonzalez. Why not talk about getting Ryan Braun, while you have your fantasy clothes on? As for Billyblob, every post comes back to dumping Ellsbury. Get a life!
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

That's why I suggested standing pat or getting Beltran for 2011, and pursuing a better option in the off-season.  What do you think is more plausible?  Landing Braun, Hanley, Kemp or McCutchen and dealing our all-star CF in the process, or getting Hunter Pence, and leaving all meaningful pieces of the team intact?

Sections
Shortcuts