Best Trade for Future

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Best Trade for Future

fivekatz I couldnt agree with you more. Pitching is a much greater need than right field for the sox at the deadline. We have reddick who is solid defensively, has a great arm, and has hit well so far. Also in the minors we have kalish who will hopefully get healthy at some point this year and will certainly be ready for next year. I would consider ss a greater need than right field at this point and still think the sox should call up iglesias. Pitching is the biggest need for the sox hands down. Lester is going to be back july 26th i believe and hopefully he will be fine for the rest of the year. That gives us 2 good starters out of 5. Buchholz as reported today could be out for the season. Meaning our 3-5 is lackey, wake, miller. We will not make the playoffs with that rotation. We need a number 3 starter and that guy is ubaldo jimenez. A 1-3 of beckett, lester, jimenez would be as good as any in the league. Once buchholz comes back he would be the number 4 and lackey 5. Matt garza would be good as well but from what I have read and heard the cubs are asking a ton for him and he is not as good as jimenez. And apparently the sox have expressed interest in ubaldo and have talked to the rockies. They will no doubt ask for a lot for him but he is worth it. He is 27, he throws heat, he was 3rd in cy young voting last year, and he is signed cheap for the next 4 years (including this year). He is the guy the sox need to get even if he costs 3 or 4 good prospects. No point in giving up the same number of prospect to get a right fielder when we have reddick who could be just as good as pence (who before this year was a career .260 hitter). Ubaldo is the guy the sox need and if they could add a reliever that would be great but ubaldo is the guy theo has to get.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

excellent points made by a few readers in here.

I guess my thought turns to the redsox farm system and who is now deemed to be untouchable.

I think the only one or two that might be would be Ranaudo and Iglesias.  But as always, it takes quality to get quality and I am not so sure if Iglesias is an untouchable.

Personally I dont think the Red Sox need Pence, keeping Reddick and Kalish gives them a great 3rd and 4th outfield combination for the next few years.  You can't have an all star at every position, you do need to have some role players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

My softball team has better players than the Astros farm...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Pirates are hot for Pence...

What about Koby Clemens?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

In Response to Re: Best Trade for Future:
    Any long-term trade is going to involve Ellsbury, and when that happens we can do better than Pence (think McCutchen, Kemp, Hanley).   Short-term Beltran for Reddick is probably a good deal.  
    Posted by slomag

I don't think Ellsbury is going anywhere and I can't imagine what makes you think that is a remote possibility.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Best Trade for Future : I don't think Ellsbury is going anywhere and I can't imagine what makes you think that is a remote possibility.
    Posted by jimdaytona

Ask yourself this: Is Carl Crawford worth $20M/year to the Red Sox?  Now imagine Ellsbury is gone and ask again.  IMO he's still not, but he's worth a heck of a lot more in scenario 2.  Ellsbury will not be re-signed, and his trade value may never be higher. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Tbrod - I'm not putting Reddick down as a star (or Iggy), but Reddick has made some significant progress this year which is promising.  I thought he had jumped back ahead of Kalish this year.  I'd rather keep em all and see how they play out first, but I get your point.

Other thoughts: I seriously doubt Ellsbury is going anywhere until he's a FA ... but we could debate that forever.  

FiveKatz made a good point about the need for pitching.  I also wonder what the OF FA market will look like this off-season.  If there are any decent 1-2 year rental options available, seems like the FO might want to stand pat until then.  Why give up prospects (and pay the $$$) to get what is really a luxury when you can cover it on a short contract while you figure out if the kids will fill the need long term.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Best Trade for Future : Ask yourself this: Is Carl Crawford worth $20M/year to the Red Sox?  Now imagine Ellsbury is gone and ask again.  IMO he's still not, but he's worth a heck of a lot more in scenario 2.  Ellsbury will not be re-signed, and his trade value may never be higher. 
    Posted by slomag
    Sometimes the years of service during arbitration years and the draft picks are more than enough. (assuming CBA stays as is on this topic and it likely will, too many small market teams need that)

How much do the RS think of Ellsbury right now? They have played him every game but one and are using him tonight at DH. Now I have no idea if he will be with the RS through his arbitration years but the odds of him being traded during this season are as low as it can get IMO.

Why not trade Papelbon right now? He not be re-signed and his trade value never will be higher? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Katz has made some valid points above, AS ALWAYS. Got to be the most consistent quality poster here. He doesn't post unless he has something good!

I would add that possibly the Redsox have spent their wad for the most part this year. We are really positioned to need a bargain or 2 going forward unless we are going to let the luxury tax become a non issue going forward. 

Ellsbury is starting to look like a $9 to $10 mil player next year and Bard is not going to be cheap. Ortiz probably goes up in value or stays about the same, depending on the length of his deal. Papelbon may well be a plus $10 mil guy if we even offer him arb, as I would think we would. We need to let someone or both Papelbon and Ortiz go to have any money to spend. I'd offer arb to both and if they decline I lean toward letting both go.

Why? I think Bard is finally showing the guts needed to be a closer. He put up good numbers before but he is showing a true closer mentality now. Good for him!

If we get 2 picks from Ortiz I think Theo should get down on his knees and say thank you because that signing has paid off big but I don't think it's going to end well going forward.

Lavarnway looks like he can step in next year as a DH and part time catcher, saving us a ton of money, making us younger, giving us 2 very valuable picks and increasing roster flexibility. Ortiz really has to be a plus 900 OPS guy to be worth keeping at all going forward given the benefits of him going into FA. 

This doesn't preclude a Tek signing but don't we see Tek's customary hitting swan dive starting to materialize again this year, at this time of the year? It's starting to make me wonder exactly why that happens every year, around this time. It seems possible to be more than just being worn down from catching. Is it accumulated injuries every year and him just gutting it out? Is it something else?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ok so your saying the yankees are ahead in the line for pitching, but the numbers suggest that their staff has pitched better than the sox and the sox may have lost their #3 starter for the season. I think at this point the sox need pitching more than the yanks do. And ya if the sox could get a guy like matt kemp with ellsbury being the centerpiece of the trade i would be all for it. As good as ells has been this year, kemp is better and is wha the sox need. So i agree with you on that one. I doubt that kemp will be available though. I think there is a better chance of landing him in the offseason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Ortiz probably goes up in value or stays about the same, depending on the length of his deal.

If we get 2 picks from Ortiz I think Theo should get down on his knees and say thank you because that signing has paid off big but I don't think it's going to end well going forward. Lavarnway looks like he can step in next year as a DH and part time catcher, saving us a ton of money, making us younger, giving us 2 very valuable picks and increasing roster flexibility. Ortiz really has to be a plus 900 OPS guy to be worth keeping at all going forward given the benefits of him going into FA. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

The Red Sox would get two draft picks for David Ortiz only if Ortiz declines an offer of arbitration. What are the chances Ortiz would accept the offer?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ortiz would have to not only decline an arbitration offer, but the current system would have to remain in place....other wise we may only stand to collect one pick for him.  

I will admitt I haven't been up to speed on what they seem to be agreeing on, in terms of the new cba.

Regardless I would offer Ortiz Arbitration, if he did accept I would love to have him another year.  If he declines and the old system is in place, it would definitley be nice to get two first rounders.....as a DH I doubt he will be a type A for much longer. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I see a number of people are picking up on the lack of a timeline for Buch as meaning he is done for the year. Not necessarily true at all. The writers caught him on a bad day, he says he has no idea when he's coming back, that's all. And that isn't that unusual with back problems. The situation isn't good but I don't think we can say we lost our #3 starter for the year.

That said the RS do have issues with the starting rotation but real help that would strengthen the team in post season play as opposed to getting by in the regular season guys is thin at best and would be costly as all get out. But if the RS are going to do major surgery on the 25 man roster or empty the farm which was left thinned from the A-Gon trade a front line starter is a lot more important than RF.

The RS have more than enough firepower to get to playoffs and extra firepower seldom makes the difference once you are there unless you match up pitching wise. If the rotation is Beckett, Lester, Lackey, Wake and Miller I don't think that matches up great unless Lackey has a complete turnaround. So the immediate and for that matter 2012 need is will be the starting rotation.

As for Kemp, if folks step back you will notice not one media outlet is talking about him being available at all. Ethier yes, because he has made noises about getting out of LA but they report that LA has no interest in moving him either.

Kemp as a acquisition target seems to be almost entirely focused on this forum, as is Pence and McCutteon for that matter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

How much do the RS think of Ellsbury right now? They have played him every game but one and are using him tonight at DH . They are also using Reddick in CF. They could have had Reddick DH. Thing about it. Who cares what the chances are that Ellsbury will be traded with 2.4 CBA control left. The question is "should he be offered in a trade that gets back a solid young star slugging RH OF'er"? Slomag has the correct answer. Slomag is one of the few who doesn't follow the herd. We don't always agree, but I don't question him on typical Red Sox fan pride and prejudice.
    Posted by billbyboy

Think about it?  maybe Ellsbury is DHing to give his legs some rest...seeing how he has played EVERY game, Reddick has not seen nearly as much playing time as Ellsbury.  Reddick may also be getting showcased as a player that can play Centerfield as well, not saying he will be traded but it is a huge possibility.  Just because you hate Ellsbury doesn't mean him DHin'g tonight and Reddick starting in center is a testament to how the team feels about him. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I would love to have McCutchen, I think he's a fantastic player, but I just don't see us giving everything and the kitchen sink for him. Pence would be the same thing as well. I think that the Sox will most likely go after some traveling player and just use him as a roll player. I think the RF position is Reddicks job to lose, and right now he's doing a fantastic job. I would love to get a young SS that could play there for 10 years (because honestly Iglesias is a terrible hitter). That SS is NOT I repeat NOT wonder boy Reyes. I think a possible player we could look at is Stalin Castro, he's a solid hitter, and he played well against us earlier this year at Fenway. The problem is, who knows if he;s available and what would we have to give up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Best Trade for Future : Sometimes the years of service during arbitration years and the draft picks are more than enough. (assuming CBA stays as is on this topic and it likely will, too many small market teams need that) How much do the RS think of Ellsbury right now? They have played him every game but one and are using him tonight at DH. Now I have no idea if he will be with the RS through his arbitration years but the odds of him being traded during this season are as low as it can get IMO. Why not trade Papelbon right now? He not be re-signed and his trade value never will be higher? 
    Posted by fivekatz

If Papelbon had performed better in 2010, he might have been traded.  At this point, all we will get for him is a couple of kids who most likely will never step foot on the field for the Sox.  I can't believe that 2 years of service and a couple of compensation picks is ever plan A.  It may be that no other preferable opportunities present themselves, but it's hard to believe it's something a competent FO wants to occur.

But I'm talking about trading Ellsbury over the Winter -  I'm not advocating an in-season trade.  This team has been going well and I think there is something to be said for team chemistry.  

Sections
Shortcuts