Betts, Cespedes and how they're shaping up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Betts, Cespedes and how they're shaping up

Well it's an interesting comparison. Betts has played 28 games for the Red Sox this year, and Cespedes has played 29. Small sample? Not to me it isn't. A lot of similarites, and one glaring difference"

Betts:

Cespedes:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Re: Betts, Cespedes and how they're shaping up

An interesting pair, and some interesting stats. Small sample? not to me; mainly because most of the games have been played together. Betts having played 28 and Cespedes 29.

Cespedes: BA .289, OBP .308, SLG .482, OPS .791, HR 4, Dbles 6, BB 3, K 28, SB 1

Betts:       BA .284, OBP, .358, SLG .474, OPS .832, HR 4, Dbles 6, BB, 10 K 13, SB 4

Very similar in 5 of the 9 categories, varying wildly only in OBP, walks, strikeouts and SB

Conclusion: 2015 is going to be even better tah 2013!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This is also Betts first year in the majors, While Cespedes has been in the league for years.  The book isn't closed on what Betts will become yet but if he becomes the player he profiles as in the minors he should hit for higher averages, and get on base at a higher clip than Cespedes.  Although Cespedes brings a stronger arm, and more power to the game.

Both have good speed though, and both a very exciting players to watch.  But when all is said and done, I think they will be very different players. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Well it's an interesting comparison. Betts has played 28 games for the Red Sox this year, and Cespedes has played 29. Small sample? Not to me it isn't. A lot of similarites, and one glaring difference"

Betts:

Cespedes:

I apologize if I sound like 1 of those wannabe english teachers here

but the double negative makes it a tad confusing

bottom line

not sayin  that U shouldn't enjoy it but

it is a small sample size

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Can we turn on the stove already!!!!

"There is no try.  Do or Don't"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

This is also Betts first year in the majors, While Cespedes has been in the league for years.  The book isn't closed on what Betts will become yet but if he becomes the player he profiles as in the minors he should hit for higher averages, and get on base at a higher clip than Cespedes.  Although Cespedes brings a stronger arm, and more power to the game.

Both have good speed though, and both a very exciting players to watch.  But when all is said and done, I think they will be very different players. 

didn't realize til last night, Cespedes has some serious wheels, an impressive triple in that game...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

didn't realize til last night, Cespedes has some serious wheels, an impressive triple in that game...

i'd like to know the last sox player who was more purely athletic than Cespedes. even when he slid, it wasn't a baseball player sliding, it was a thoroughbred. 

... and then he looks like a little leaguer tracking the fly ball... weird... he MUST work on that defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Cespedes 1,529 at-bats in 394 games in the American League, easily enough sample size for opposing clubs to have a 'book' on him.  Pitchers know how they want to pitch to him.  Effectively doing so is yet another matter.

Betts on the other hand, has 95 at bats in 28 games.  Let's just wait a bit to see how he does after opposing teams figure out the 'book' on how to pitch to him.  I love what I've seen thus far, both in CF and his at bats, but only time will tell as to whether he can make the necessary adjustments which all players go through once pitchers figure out how to pitch to a particular hitter's weakness.

Classic example highlighted by last nights 4 K's, 3 of which were called third strikes: Middlebrooks.  Undeniably he was a world-beater in the first half of his rookie season, but since then every pitcher in the league now knows how to pitch to him, breaking balls away.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

Cespedes 1,529 at-bats in 394 games in the American League, easily enough sample size for opposing clubs to have a 'book' on him.  Pitchers know how they want to pitch to him.  Effectively doing so is yet another matter.

Betts on the other hand, has 95 at bats in 28 games.  Let's just wait a bit to see how he does after opposing teams figure out the 'book' on how to pitch to him.  I love what I've seen thus far, both in CF and his at bats, but only time will tell as to whether he can make the necessary adjustments which all players go through once pitchers figure out how to pitch to a particular hitter's weakness.

Classic example highlighted by last nights 4 K's, 3 of which were called third strikes: Middlebrooks.  Undeniably he was a world-beater in the first half of his rookie season, but since then every pitcher in the league now knows how to pitch to him, breaking balls away.

agreed. it's funny how many of these we've seen over the last 2-3 years alone, yet we can't resist jumping the gun at the next one.

now Owens, well that kid's another story.... 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

i'd like to know the last sox player who was more purely athletic than Cespedes. even when he slid, it wasn't a baseball player sliding, it was a thoroughbred. 

... and then he looks like a little leaguer tracking the fly ball... weird... he MUST work on that defense.

not totally letting him off the hook here, but i've seen many excellent LF's  misplay balls at YS..not sure if he's ever played LF when the A's came to the Stadium

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I concur, his all around ability is impressive.  But in answer to your query and for the sake of discussion, maybe not 'more purely athletic' but both Reggie Smith and Freddie Lynn come to mind.

And by the way, since I've mentioned Reggie Smith, one might be interested to know that during a 17-year big league career (1966–1982), Smith appeared in 1,987 games, hit 314 home runs and batted .287. He was a switch-hitter who threw right-handed. In his prime, he had one of the strongest throwing arms of any outfielder in the big leagues. Smith played at least 70 games in 13 different seasons, and in every one of those 13 seasons, his team had a winning record. 

But what is seldom mentioned in his various profiles is the fact that he held a black belt in Karate. And this was quite evident in 1967 when a fight broke out between the Yankees and the Sox. Everyone remembers Varitek pushing his glove into A-Rods face in 2004, but how many remember Smith running all the way in from centerfield and lifting 6'2" Thad Tillotson over his head and throwing him to the ground.  This dude was truly athletic.

But on the softer side, he also played seven musical instruments, learned to fly and got his pilot's license, became a master of photography, and developed into an outstanding cook.

Oops, I seem to have gotten a bit carried away. Hope I haven't derailed the original post.

Cespedes will be a joy to watch next season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

I concur, his all around ability is impressive.  But in answer to your query and for the sake of discussion, maybe not 'more purely athletic' but both Reggie Smith and Freddie Lynn come to mind.

And by the way, since I've mentioned Reggie Smith, one might be interested to know that during a 17-year big league career (1966–1982), Smith appeared in 1,987 games, hit 314 home runs and batted .287. He was a switch-hitter who threw right-handed. In his prime, he had one of the strongest throwing arms of any outfielder in the big leagues. Smith played at least 70 games in 13 different seasons, and in every one of those 13 seasons, his team had a winning record. 

But what is seldom mentioned in his various profiles is the fact that he held a black belt in Karate. And this was quite evident in 1967 when a fight broke out between the Yankees and the Sox. Everyone remembers Varitek pushing his glove into A-Rods face in 2004, but how many remember Smith running all the way in from centerfield and lifting 6'2" Thad Tillotson over his head and throwing him to the ground.  This dude was truly athletic.

But on the softer side, he also played seven musical instruments, learned to fly and got his pilot's license, became a master of photography, and developed into an outstanding cook.

Oops, I seem to have gotten a bit carried away. Hope I haven't derailed the original post.

Cespedes will be a joy to watch next season.

Thanks for the memories. From 1963 to 1968, I lived in Sandusky, Ohio. Reggie Smith had been so highly touted, that I and my 12 year old son, drove to Toledo to watch the Toronto team (managed by Dick Williams, I think) play the Toledo AAA team. Just to see this kid Reggie Smith. That trip wasn't as crazy as a late season drive we took to Chicago in late 1967 to see the Sox play the White Sox in a double header). Reggie played CF and was impressive (I guess).

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Thanks for the memories. From 1963 to 1968, I lived in Sandusky, Ohio. Reggie Smith had been so highly touted, that I and my 12 year old son, drove to Toledo to watch the Toronto team (managed by Dick Williams, I think) play the Toledo AAA team. Just to see this kid Reggie Smith. That trip wasn't as crazy as a late season drive we took to Chicago in late 1967 to see the Sox play the White Sox in a double header). Reggie played CF and was impressive (I guess).

LOL.. the setting for the Chris Farley movie 'Tommy Boy"

• You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Betts:

Cespedes:

It is a small sample and plus it is garbage time.  Playing when one is 18 games out it a little different from when the race is tight.  Still, it is better than no hitting at all.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

not totally letting him off the hook here, but i've seen many excellent LF's  misplay balls at YS..not sure if he's ever played LF when the A's came to the Stadium

he's had several similar misplays just in the short time he's been here, and he had a few in the handful of clips i saw of him in oakland. his tracking of fly balls is just really bad. like i can't remember anyone who was worse. even Manny looked better. but again, that's a choice. you put in the time taking flies, you will become decent at it. so far it looks like he's just winging it... or can't see.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

he's had several similar misplays just in the short time he's been here, and he had a few in the handful of clips i saw of him in oakland. his tracking of fly balls is just really bad. like i can't remember anyone who was worse. even Manny looked better.

that's how manny & him get so many assists

but again, that's a choice. you put in the time taking flies, you will become decent at it. so far it looks like he's just winging it... or can't see.

must be a slight problem there

otherwise I think he would be in RF by now

• You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Great stats, thanks, bosoxmal.  Given the big age difference, I have to go with Betts.  I give Cespedes the edge on power, but Betts has as good a Slugging percentage.  Clearly Cespedes has the better arm, but I am pretty sure Betts has a lot better range. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts